Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2006, 01:37   #1
BHPian

Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?

I was going through this section reading everyone's daily commuting experiences, the accidents, the mad drivers, the autorickshaws etc etc. Basically everyone goes through the same driving nightmares every single day, but my question is "what can we do as an online community to change this, even to the smallest extent"???
Please share your suggestions & opinions on this. I am from Pune & as members of a responsible online auto community we can atleast initiate some awareness or push authorities to enfore more stringent rules to make driving more safer. Enforcing simple rules like lane driving, no cell phones while driving. Face it, everybody has been more lucky than ever to escape accidents....almost everyday, & trust me (god forbid) we can't be always lucky. So, lets do something for the sake of better & safer roads.
Take care, drive safe.
Old 2nd December 2006, 07:18   #2
BHPian

A couple of things that I would personally like to have my hands on.

1. A Traffic Rules Manual
2. Good Driving Etiquettes.
3. Tips on driving in specific Cities.

Sharath
Old 2nd December 2006, 09:08   #3
BHPian

We could start the awareness by ourselves following the traffic rules religiously first. Remember charity starts at home.
Old 2nd December 2006, 12:45   #4
BHPian

well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by netarchie View Post
We could start the awareness by ourselves following the traffic rules religiously first. Remember charity starts at home.
In addition I go on lecturing some rash drivers at every oppurtunity.

I encountered rude drivers mostly while I was walking or standing near roads.

The first guy was a scoprio driver took a right turn hardly a few milli meters infront of me while I was walking across.

A lady parked her car next to my left foot while I was walking down. Here is an oppurtunity, the lecture starts...

Third was an ambulance driver parking so rude that If I had not moved a foot back briskly he'd have run over me. Here starts another lecture..

These guyz probably hated me, but they got to learn and deserved those lectures.
Old 2nd December 2006, 15:25   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

We were discussing something on those lines ..
IIRC, one such thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...th-2006-a.html
Old 2nd December 2006, 22:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
but my question is "what can we do as an online community to change this, even to the smallest extent"???
Noble thoughts indeed, but not much we can do as a community except lead by example on the roads whenever/wherever practical and hope that onlookers notice "these decent folks"
Old 2nd December 2006, 23:29   #7
BHPian

How about coming up with stickers that we stick it on our car? This sticker would proudly announce car belonging to a TEAM-BHP member as well as say something like "I always obey traffic rule" or "My car is powerful but I drive responsibly" or "I respect traffic rule".

Well, but it also comes with responsibility as once we have this sticker, we should indeed drive responsibly.
Old 3rd December 2006, 11:25   #8
BHPian

Excellent idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by nispatel View Post
How about coming up with stickers that we stick it on our car? This sticker would proudly announce car belonging to a TEAM-BHP member as well as say something like "I always obey traffic rule" or "My car is powerful but I drive responsibly" or "I respect traffic rule".

Well, but it also comes with responsibility as once we have this sticker, we should indeed drive responsibly.
Mods & Gurus,

How about these stickers, we have been asking for some stickers anyway. A "follow traffic rules" slogan goes well with Team-BHP.
Old 4th December 2006, 14:47   #9
BHPian

Yeah, stickers are a really cool idea...Also if its funny, it really gets the message through...

Good thought, lets do something about the current traffic situation.

How about a 30 second youtube video clip? pass the message using forums, emails etc...
Old 4th December 2006, 16:10   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nispatel View Post

That is a great idea to start with, & then maybe later we can get more aggressive with the authorities......come on people...the power of TEAM BHP !!! We really got to make a point here (or atleast try) !!! Lets just not dream of accident free, & freak free roads, lets practically do something about it.
Old 5th December 2006, 13:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A "follow traffic rules" slogan
Wouldn't make any difference with that. Problem is most drivers have no clue about traffic rules. How will they follow traffic rules when they don't have a clue about what the rules say!
Old 5th December 2006, 13:57   #12
BHPian

What about a couple of volunteer booths

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Wouldn't make any difference with that. Problem is most drivers have no clue about traffic rules. How will they follow traffic rules when they don't have a clue about what the rules say!
A couple of volunteer booths with traffic rules and safe practices handouts should help. It needs a little bit of effort but will be worth giving a few tries.

What do you guys say ? This will also help bringing team-bhp guys together in work.
Old 5th December 2006, 15:54   #13
BHPian

radio mirchi

radio does wonders especially when many tune to FM hindi

it has got an overwhelming response here in bahrain and as of now they have focussed on
1) use of seat belts
2) driving alert than be in thoughts
3) placing infant / child on drivers lap and also the front seat without seat belts
4) callers to FM song request are advised Not to talk on mobile when driving and this has got a good target audience who move off the curb and then request a song. How much is done in practice is ?? but atleast it has made drivers attentive and message has gone across
Old 5th December 2006, 17:38   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A couple of volunteer booths with traffic rules and safe practices handouts should help. It needs a little bit of effort but will be worth giving a few tries.
Volunteer booths sounds like a good idea but there will be a lot of resistance specially from "expereinced" drivers who will give out sound bytes like "I have been driving for over 25 years without any problems or accidents and now a couple of young blokes will teach me about traffic rules." The problem is the attitude of the people here. Everyone thinks he is God's gift on Indian roads and the final authority on driving. Until that changes it is going to be extremely difficult to get through to these morons.

The FM radio sounds like another great idea. For a change they can do some good instead of meaningless chatter. Maybe they can start off by asking people to switch on their headlights in the night! The situation on our roads is really pathetic. Imagine telling a driver to use his common sense. I really wonder what goes through the mind of the driver who refuses to switch on the headlights at night time.
Old 5th December 2006, 17:48   #15
BHPian

radio is a very good option & with their help probably we can do some pre planned informative sessions prepared by the gurus here in colleges or schools. we need a strong foundation, period!

other ways, dont know how successful it might be. agreed we are a bunch of informed people but that always doesn't relate to responsible also.

how many of us use free flow exhausts?
how many of us have tinted glassess beyond the permissible limits?
how many of us follow the speed limits?

(people who follow these, please abstain from hitting back at me because i believe that we have a good number of people who do follow the rules)

if we can not follow the simple rules of traffic, i believe the others on the street are just a bunch of MORONS out there. mostly first generation drivers, no common sense, using the vehicle as only a transport mode (they just dont love their vehicle) & the list goes on.

Last edited by naveendhyani : 5th December 2006 at 17:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks