Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2013, 09:27   #91
BHPian

Re: Can we TEAM-BHP members do something about traffic awareness?

Just a small suggestion from me. How about we take out a road awareness rally sometime ? Would it work ?
Old 8th November 2013, 09:45   #92
BHPian

Hi,
This thread is just too good. I am really happy to see that we are increasing road awareness through various ideas. I do not want to sound like a party pooper but here are some practical facts -
1) The non-BHP traffic rule breaking mob is far larger than a few of us. So we, the people, following rules would stand out like sore thumbs in all the cities where traffic problems are chronic.
2) Most of the people are not even aware of rules and show complete ignorance in following even common sense. For eg on a single lane road overtaking from the left is to be done taking a lot of risk to oneself as well as the vehicle that one overtakes. It is common sense that if there is a vehicle coming from the opposite side the slower vehicle will move to the left of the road.
Now in such a scenario most of the ignorant mob who have taken leave of their common sense overtake from the left and if there is an incident they come back aggressively blaming the slower vehicle. (I am sure all of us have seen this more than once).
3) Bad roads which slow down the traffic and nothing can be done about this at least at our level. Slow moving traffic encourages innovation such as going from the wrong side of the road , cutting lanes and driving badly. If the traffic is moving then all are happy.

There may be numerous other problems which a handful of us BHPians can't address. But IMHO (in my humble opinion) here is what we can do.
1) Follow traffic rules.
2) Not overtake from the left on single carriageways. On multiple carriageways make the slower vehicle of our presence and then pass it.
3) Not break signals and wait for a green light inspite of being cursed by people behind. you. IN this situation there is a temptation but if there is a fast vehicle trying to cross your path and you fall to temptation to break the signal it could be disaster.
4) Keep your vehicle in good condition so that it can sustain traffic jams and not break-down to increase your pain but also fellow road users.
5) Reduce road-rage or anger on the road. This is very difficult. It is easy to say but the general tendency is to be faster than the rash , fast driver to teach him / her a lesson. Well honestly it does not help. I had been that way for many years but experience has taught me that the lesson does not go down as intended most of the times.
6) Most of us can outshine many other cars in performance given the proper traffic conditions but trying to prove that you have bigger faster engine in city traffic does not help.

Disclaimer -
The points I have suggested are difficult to implement right away but good traffic awareness starts with individuals. Given the tendency in our country to copy I do hope that errant drivers start copying us BHPians in following rules and making it a better place. The change will come but slowly as we are vastly outnumbered by the mob and its an uphill task. But we can start with ourselves.

Last edited by ambivalent_98 : 8th November 2013 at 09:47.
Old 8th November 2013, 10:09   #93
BHPian

To the Mods
How about modifying the Team-BHP car sticker set with the last line reserved for a note on Safe Driving practices ?

Some suggestions from my side
  • I do not cut Red Signals.
    I always check my mirrors prior to switching lanes.
    I always use indicators prior to turning or switching lanes.
    I don't honk at a person in front who is maintaining the speed limit.
    I don't tailgate Ambulances and Fire Trucks.
Old 8th November 2013, 13:21   #94
BHPian

Change start at home, and I think we should do it first by NOT using car during peak traffic hours.
Encourage public transport/car pooling. We can have customized T-Shirt with cool message such as -
'I own a 4 wheeler but commute on a 6 wheeler'
'Proud to be a Pooler - A Car Pooler'
'Add 6 wheels to your life and see the difference'
etc. (these are just random messages came to my mind)
Speed Pujari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 13:37   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Some suggestions from my side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Change start at home, and I think we should do it first by NOT using car during peak traffic hours.
Encourage public transport/car pooling. We can have customized T-Shirt with cool message such as -

Good suggestions, but these measures will help if there is a serious lack of awareness among the road users in India.
In my opinion, in India most of the times laws/rules are broken because the rule-breakers are well aware of the law, and the associated loopholes to come out clean.
Old 10th November 2013, 04:36   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
We can have customized T-Shirt with cool message such as - 'I own a 4 wheeler but commute on a 6 wheeler' 'Proud to be a Pooler - A Car Pooler' 'Add 6 wheels to your life and see the difference' etc. (these are just random messages came to my mind)
Like the idea of cooler messages may be not just for t-shirts also stickers or some lanyards for bags.

I find it amazing when I tell my colleagues or relatives I came by 12 dabba or 9 dabba (These are nicknames for our Mumbai locals). I get whatever little satisfaction in my mind about saving some fuel, making a green impact and having a less carbon foot print etc etc.

Cons:
- you may face derogatory/insulting comments at work or in public or quite often comments behind your back by those Hypocrites in our society that will make you repent to death with comments such as 'sala paisa bachata hai' or something worse
- all this may be at the cost of a first class local ticket or crowd squeezing you in all angles.

Especially when traveling alone we can do at least this much for a greater cause. Trust me if many of us follow such green habits we may not see the benefits; perhaps our future generations will.

And about the Hypocrites of the society, just ignore them.
TMRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 18:55   #97
BHPian

Brilliant!

Cop Moonwalks To Make People Follow Traffic Rules:

Name:  moonwalking20cop1.gif
Views: 292
Size:  1.29 MB

watch him in full action:

http://www.ndtv.com/article/offbeat/...ules-651801?fb

Kudos to this guy, we need more such dedicated and creative people in their respective job fields to make this country a more better place to live.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks