Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2018, 09:54   #46
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: High Court wants separate toll booth lanes for VIPs & Judges

Ironical that this Hon'ble Judge missed the blindfolded lady standing next to him everyday:
Quote:
Since the 16th century, Lady Justice has often been depicted wearing a blindfold. The blindfold represents impartiality, the ideal that justice should be applied without regard to wealth, power, or other status.
High Court wants separate toll booth lanes for VIPs & Judges-hk_central_statue_square_legislative_council_building_n_themis_s.jpg
Source
GTO is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 10:35   #47
BHPian

These judges, who are meant to protect the common citizens and the constitution are acting like the British Lords of lore. This is unacceptable. The SC must take due cognizance of this matter.
Old 31st August 2018, 10:46   #48
BHPian

This is nothing but abuse of power and that too in its worst form. For this to come from a High Court, really stupefies me.
I hope good sense prevails and a larger bench or the SC stays the order immediately and finally reverses it.
Madras High Court has in the recent past has made some controversial judgements
Old 31st August 2018, 12:00   #49
BHPian

Anyone mocking this absolutely harebrained decision will be charged with contempt of court.

The Judiciary needs to be cut down to size. Instead of being the "custodians of the constitution", what we see them doing is abuse their power using judicial activism as a facade.

Last edited by satishv1987 : 31st August 2018 at 12:00. Reason: Grammar
Old 31st August 2018, 12:12   #50
BHPian

Hmm...lot to comment and all views may seem to be justified from their respective perspectives.

However, to ensure minimal impact, it would be more sensible for the government to issue fast tag to these VIPs (one per VIP only to control usage) who necessarily require fast clearance at toll plazas. Additionally, usage can be centrally monitored and charges for the same can also be waived off for these specific accounts.

Keeps everyone happy I guess.
MS_Auto is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 12:19   #51
BHPian

Some of our judges' wisdom always amuses me. Now, this is the latest example. They are enjoying all the benefits of holding an executive position. Now they want to zoom past toll gate. Why not get a fast tag? anyway, they are exempted from paying tolls.

What would be next? Separate check out counters in shopping malls for all those are holding executive positions? I won't be surprised if it happens.
Old 31st August 2018, 12:21   #52
Senior - BHPian

I was really worked up on seeing the headline, but reading that the offended party is the inept NHAI made me realize that there is more to the story. The NHAI which is good at constructing dual carriageway highways without service roads and charging users, like most of us, the cost of something they don't provide i.e. Service roads, emergency services, any safety from jaywalking and vehicles coming from the wrong side.

They can't even get to making restrooms that are usable, did next to nothing to roll out fastag and hand out perpetual contracts where the collection period exceeds the entire cost of construction by a factor of 3 or 4.

The NHAI wants to collect toll from state transport buses and it seems they picked up the wrong target. How about an audit of the toll booths to check the actual versus reported collections? I'm sure it will pay for VIP lanes.
Old 31st August 2018, 12:33   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I'm sure it will pay for VIP lanes.
But before that, the question remains, are these VIP lanes necessary? And, if so, why?
Old 31st August 2018, 12:59   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS_Auto View Post
Additionally, usage can be centrally monitored and charges for the same can also be waived off for these specific accounts.
Why? Why would they not need to pay up or wait in queue unless they are out on urgent official duties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
How about an audit of the toll booths to check the actual versus reported collections? I'm sure it will pay for VIP lanes.
Two wrongs doesn't make it right. If NHAI is audited properly - the extra money should pay for improving facilities for everyone, not just the people in power who wants only themselves to be above others.

Improve the situation for "VIPs and sitting judges" is what the high court demanded - not for normal people like you and me, who pay the toll amounts and still has to wait up in long queues.

If NHAI goes about implementing the rule, mostly the end result would be one less toll booth for us, the normal road users - and even longer queues as a result.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 13:00   #55
BHPian

I still do not understand when will these looters stop misusing common mans inability to fight. Has this not yet reached the tipping point ?

Where do all the excise duty, taxes collected on fuel and the road tax which we pay for 15 years go. On top of this we have to shell money everywhere on highways. Some stretches are quite expensive. All 3 cars in my home ( joint family ) have monthly pass for entering Mumbai which cumulatively accounts for (1400 *3 *12 = 50K per year) and just check traffic on Mulund Airoli bridge and Thane toll naka. I spend nearly 45 minutes daily one way just to cross these tolls. If my quality of travel is not increasing then how come this shameless government allow operators to collect tolls. ( especially in Mumbai as fuel price is also highest in India ).

As per official data, they just earn around 4 crores a month from Airoli toll naka. Can Mumbai not afford 4 crores a month and ease out traffic congestion. Even if they charge 10 paise per liter surcharge on fuel, their collection will be much higher

During my last week travel from Hyderabad to Mumbai, I saw many instances where VIP/local goons would manually open the fast tag gates. No need to wait and no need to pay tolls. If India has to move ahead, discrimination should be stopped and everyone should be treated equally. Everyone who crosses toll should pay up front and whoever thinks that he is a VIP should claim it back from their respective departments.

I think their next idea will be to introduce surge pricing and might have a dedicated lane for people who can afford
rahulskumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 13:05   #56
BHPian

I think there was a transport ministry rule that when the wait time at toll is beyond 3 minutes, the toll gates should be opened up (no toll collection) till the traffic is reduced.
Judges or VIPs should first make sure such rules are followed before trying to bring in communism.
Old 31st August 2018, 13:17   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Ironical that this Hon'ble Judge missed the blindfolded lady standing next to him everyday:
She is blindfolded so that she dosenot get to see all these malpractices/misuse of power etc. I think there was a dialogue is some film on similar lines, don't recall which one though.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 13:22   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
Anyone mocking this absolutely harebrained decision will be charged with contempt of court.

The Judiciary needs to be cut down to size. Instead of being the "custodians of the constitution", what we see them doing is abuse their power using judicial activism as a facade.
Why the hell is the Chennai High Court advocating a VIP culture?!? Someone should challenge this directive in the Supreme Court.

To start with, an online petition at change.org would be good.
Old 31st August 2018, 13:23   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
But before that, the question remains, are these VIP lanes necessary? And, if so, why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why? Why would they not need to pay up or wait in queue unless they are out on urgent official duties?

Two wrongs doesn't make it right. If NHAI is audited properly - the extra money should pay for improving facilities for everyone, not just the people in power who wants only themselves to be above others.
I gave an answer to a rhetorical question, not a plan of action to raise funds for building new lanes to accommodate public servants on a power trip.

NHAI's contractors went to court to shakedown the government and they found themselves in a spot, the bus service is a beneficiary of eminent domain abuse and NHAI is an example of public funding for a government protected racket. It's hard to pick sides.
Old 31st August 2018, 14:04   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Ah, A very common sight here - A white Corolla Altis, power horns and screaming behind you.
Sorry to go off topic, but I believe it's a Mitsubishi Cedia.

It seems the judge truly understands the theory of Governance by the people, of the people and for the people. Since he was concerned for Judges alone, therefore he decided to issue a judgment by the Judge, of the Judge and for the Judge.

Today we live in a country where eligibility to get priority is decided based on factors such as gender, language, political nexus and so on. The judge has added just another dimension by affirming 'statutory powers' as another criterion for claiming priority treatment. So what is wrong in that? Well, in my opinion everything.
King_pin09 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks