Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2018, 09:34   #1
Team-BHP Support

High Court wants separate toll booth lanes for VIPs & Judges

Terribly regressive and an arrogant display of power.

The language and tone in this judgement reeks of entitlement. I sincerely hope this is challenged and someone can put these guys in their place.

Quote:
It is embarrassing for VIPs and sitting judges to have to wait at toll plazas and display identity documents, a division bench of Justice Huluvadi G Ramesh and Justice M V Muralidharan said.
Quote:
“It is very unfortunate that sitting judges are also compelled to wait at toll plazas for 10 to 15 minutes (and that this issue) has not been taken seriously by the Union government and NHAI.”
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/65599940.cms

Last edited by libranof1987 : 30th August 2018 at 09:38.
libranof1987 is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 09:36   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: High Court wants separate toll booth lanes for VIPs & Judges

When i read the article, i checked the site, then the author, and then the date to make sure this was not some sort of parody article!
greenhorn is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 09:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

All we aam admis who wait at the toll queues, our time isn't wasted I suppose as it is our duty to wait and we aren't doing anything important

Forgot to add, why the embarrassment in showing their identity cards? I don't get that as well

Last edited by arvind71181 : 30th August 2018 at 09:59.
arvind71181 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 09:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

They have no problem with the fact that those who actually pay toll have to wait. The only problem they have is that freeloaders also have to wait in queue. Where is this nation heading?
longhorn is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 09:56   #5
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

At most toll booths around South India (most National Highways that are 4 or 6 laned), I've noticed that extreme left lane is marked for VIP's so it already exists, why is this being brought up now ?
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 09:57   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

These guys have pendencies stretching into decades. The aam aadmi is the one who is keeping the country turning over with his everyday tasks which he finishes every day, getting juiced at the end of the month every month. If anything, judges and politicos should be banned completely from the roads on the basis of their contributions to society, if this current ruling is to be taken as a measure of it.

These guys are troubled about 15 minutes waiting. And here we were happy if we got through the tolls in under half an hour when the gurgaon one was operative.

I have seen quite a few members here talking about respect for the judiciary in the tone of messages. I wonder what they will have to say about this.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st August 2018 at 06:51. Reason: Fixing typo
mayankk is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 09:57   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

What is so embarrassing about waiting at a toll plaza? or sitting in a traffic jam? Problem yes, but embarrassing?

At least if VIPs are stuck in a jam, then we can expect some action for a resolution to this problem. For eg. in our city, a few months ago, a VVIP (or the CM?) was stuck in a traffic jam once where I am stuck almost everyday in the evening. Within 48 hours, all illegal road cuts were closed bringing some respite to us general public. If that would have not been the case, the situation would always go unnoticed by the law makers and keepers.

Totally agree with Nishad that it is seriously regressive and arrogant.

Last edited by saket77 : 30th August 2018 at 09:58.
saket77 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 10:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

What next?

Separate lane for VIPs? Is it not enough that they take BRTS lanes or use sirens/ ambulances to pass through traffic?

Separate colour in the traffic signals? Purple or black perhaps. To allow only VIP vehicles to pass through.

In my opinion, there should be a judgement passed against these folks using public roads between 6am and 11pm. If they want to travel, they can travel between 11pm and 6am.

For toll plazas, they should be charged extra if using private vehicles. In fact all vehicles provided on public tax payer money should be taken away and they should be forced to use public transport.

Oh, the entitlement is so infinitely annoying.
selfdrive is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 10:09   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

They drive like they are on the racetrack now and can't imagine what they will do when they have a separate lane. Like NPV had mentioned, they do have separate lane (VIP lane) in most of the tolls here (I have personally used this in near Hosur when I had offered a lift to a cop).

Expect their time to be important more than ambulances, fire trucks etc?
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 10:15   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

All that's needed is a dedicated fastag lane which would keep moving quickly. The VIPs can drive through them with the rest of us without paying the damned tolls. If non fastag users were to slink in to this lane, they should be penalized harshly.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 10:21   #11
BHPian

As if VIPs already do not have enough power to show off on roads and otherwise.

Highly inappropriate for HC to demand such things for VIPs and judges. As if common man's time has no value. It is common man who pays VIPs and judges salaries in a way of taxes by working and building nation.

I am sure this will be challenged in SC and hopefully SC sends a stern message to it's lower house.
the_skyliner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 10:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

Not surprising to me. As the executive shows their incompetence, there will be such powerful directives from judiciary. Executive, representing people is too busy to care about these too.
They could have asked NHAI to fix the toll booths and reduce delays for everyone if they cared about people.

Last edited by srishiva : 30th August 2018 at 10:47.
srishiva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 10:59   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

A few years back on my daily route, I would regularly notice a Toyota Corolla, official car with Judge plates regularly jumping the queue at a particular signal and then either forcing himself into lane just before the divider or jumping the divider and taking a right turn with 'Judge Saab' reading the newspaper in the back seat. I really wanted to step out one day, call out to the judge and suggest him to conceal the 'Judge' plate on his car as I am having a really hard time explaining to my kids why a judge is flouting rules.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 30th August 2018 at 11:01.
Santoshbhat is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 11:15   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
They have no problem with the fact that those who actually pay toll have to wait. The only problem they have is that freeloaders also have to wait in queue. Where is this nation heading?

Exactly! Such a tasteless ruling, this one - specially the harsh language used. Clearly is a show of power, rather than upholding the law.

One less lane for the toll-payer doesn't amount to "unnecessary harassment", making a VIP wait is!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2018, 11:23   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
either forcing himself into lane just before the divider or jumping the divider and taking a right turn with 'Judge Saab' reading the newspaper in the back seat.
Ah, A very common sight here - A white Corolla Altis, power horns and screaming behind you.

Here's one I had posted here few years back. You can clearly see it's on the wrong lane. And this was when the sun film ban was placed .

High Court wants separate toll booth lanes for VIPs & Judges-img01268201201171738.jpg
naveen.raju is offline   (15) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks