Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 15:10   #466
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Short Fueling Tricks At Petrol Stations

Absolutely! You let them get away, in a way. In such cases I always ensure I get what I am entitled to and THEN worry about complaining etc. which doesn't hurt these guys,believe me!

Edit: cross-post! In that case, good luck!
Old 24th October 2011, 15:15   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_chill View Post
It is not about the Rs 300 really. I have had experiences in the past at various bunks across Bangalore, never had enough documentary evidence to follow through. I do plan to ask BPCL in my complaint to compensate with a Rs 300 voucher for any fuel bunk which they believe is 'reliable'. More importantly, I want to use this case to make sure that oil company employees/reps perpetrating fraud are suitably dealt with.
If you are really keen, you can file a police complaint of fraud/cheating although you must be well aware of the hassles involved.

I would have taken the Rs 300 back, shouted at those folks, and left it there.
Old 24th October 2011, 15:44   #468
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This happened with my friend in delhi .

He regularly visits same pump as Asks every time for 1000 rs fill . Pump attendant will open the lid and start filling . friend got busy with taking Out money / CC during this . suddenly Mr A comes up to him and below follow;s .

Mr A: - Sir , 200 rs petrol filled.
friend : - I asked for 1000 Rs.
Mr A :- Sorry sir, i heard 200. will fill rest of 800 Now.

he goes again on to the dispenser and repeats the circus .

Friend happy that he got filled for whole 1000. this happened to him atleast 4-5 times. On 5th occasion , he realized some thing is wrong . finally he took up the matter with manager and asked for explanation. As Usual Manager refused . On insisting that he won;t leave the pump until he explains everything and asked for a compensation of 5000 rs. by this time , scene was getting created & a huge pile up has build in line for refueling. seeing all this manager finally relented and went to Mr A , took Out what ever money he has in his pocket and handed over to my friend (1000 Bucks) and apologize .
Old 24th October 2011, 16:08   #469
Senior - BHPian

@u_chill, I doubt BPCL will compensate you, for the fault of an employee of a pump franchised to them. At best they might take action against the pump in question. If you anyway are going to ask for Rs300 fuel voucher, you could have got it from the cheater himself.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 24th October 2011 at 16:10.
Old 25th October 2011, 00:33   #470
BHPian

Hi everybody
In august drove from bombay to leh in a beat.
At kargil filled the tank to the brim with the help of auto cut off.
At mulbekh the gauge was showing a lot less than I expected so filled the tank again to the brim 10.06 ltrs.
Dont remember the exact distance(somebody pl help) but no way could I have consumed that much.I had a doubt then and i still have it as there was hardly any traffic.
rgds
Old 25th October 2011, 09:37   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody
In august drove from bombay to leh in a beat.
At kargil filled the tank to the brim with the help of auto cut off.
At mulbekh the gauge was showing a lot less than I expected so filled the tank again to the brim 10.06 ltrs.
Dont remember the exact distance(somebody pl help) but no way could I have consumed that much.I had a doubt then and i still have it as there was hardly any traffic.
rgds
That'd be somewhere around 40-45 kms so the FE returned by your car would've been 4-4.5 kmpl

Actually auto cut-off rarely means that the tank has actually been filled up to the brim, there's always a scope for a litre or two, at least that's how it has been with my swift. So give or take whatever volume of fuel Beat accommodates after auto cut-off it would still seem something went amiss during the tank full at Kargil.
Old 25th October 2011, 13:37   #472
Senior - BHPian

This happened at the BP pump adjacent to Spic a few days back. My bike had come to reserve while going home the previous evening, and while passing the Shell pump on the way to office the next day, I thought I will fill up on the way back home in the evening. Got struck at the office till 9.30 P.M. and since Shell will be closed, entered the above mentioned pump.

Me: "Five hundred rupees" (Ainooru in Tamil), after ensuring zero.

Attendant: "OK sir" (starts filling).

Me: "Step aside, let me see the meter".

Attendant: Looks at me strangely, steps aside and the meter has stopped at Rs 100.00.

Me: "I asked for Rs 500.00."

Attendant: "Sorry sir, I thought you said hundred rupees" (Nooru in Tamil).

Me: "OK, now make it zero again, set it for Rs 400.00 and run away".

Attendant: Looks strangely at me again, complies, takes the Rs 500.00 note offered and sulks away, muttering and shaking his head!
Old 25th October 2011, 16:09   #473
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post

He regularly visits same pump as Asks every time for 1000 rs fill . Pump attendant will open the lid and start filling . friend got busy with taking Out money / CC during this . suddenly Mr A comes up to him and below follow;s .

Friend happy that he got filled for whole 1000. this happened to him atleast 4-5 times.
THis is an old trick. What they do is, they purposely for only Rs. 200 even though you have asked for Rs. 1000. Before this they will very sincerely show you that they have set the pump to zero. When you ask him why he has filled only so much? He will act as if he misheard you. He will then act as if he is resetting it to zero before filling again. At this time somebody else will be distracting you. He will then stop at Rs. 800/- and show you that he has filled for Rs. 800 the second time. You will think he has filled for Rs. 200 once and then for Rs. 800 , totally for Rs. 1000. But in reality he would have continued from Rs. 200 and stopped at Rs. 800, without resetting before filling the second time.
Old 1st November 2011, 23:57   #474
BHPian

I had a couple of experiences, which I already stated in this forum. Following are some of the precautions you can take in this circumstances.

1. Always step out of car and keenly watch the meter, while the fuel is filled.
2. Ensure that the operator enters the right value (in most modern pumps) before the filling starts.
3. While filling, keep the eyes in the meter, even if the operator asks some questions.
4. "Cash or card" question / trick while filling - always answer cash. (Its none of his business to know what mode you am going to pay, unless the pump don't support card payment.
5. Never hand over the cash or card before you get the last drop of fuel.

Be little bit stern and smart, at the same time polite with these fellows, they will dare to cheat you.

Final word : There are a couple of pumps which employees women for filling. From my experience, these issues are reported very rare in those pumps.

Last edited by sunil8089 : 1st November 2011 at 23:59.
Old 2nd November 2011, 00:06   #475
Senior - BHPian

What I do nowadays is to tell him the amount for which I need fuel (which he enters in the device after setting zero), ask him to pump the fuel after setting nozzle to auto-cutoff and then ask him to go swipe the card, telling that I will take care of the fuel being pumped. By the time he is back, the filling is either done or close to completion. Once complete, I sign the charge-slip and drive away.
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:34   #476
kkg
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post

Friend happy that he got filled for whole 1000. this happened to him atleast 4-5 times. On 5th occasion , he realized some thing is wrong . finally he took up the matter with manager and asked for explanation. As Usual Manager refused . On insisting that he won;t leave the pump until he explains everything and asked for a compensation of 5000 rs. by this time , scene was getting created & a huge pile up has build in line for refueling. seeing all this manager finally relented and went to Mr A , took Out what ever money he has in his pocket and handed over to my friend (1000 Bucks) and apologize .
Would appreciate if you could tell the name and location of the pump.
The same thing happened to my wife (more than once ) when she used to work at NSP, Wazirpur.
Old 10th November 2011, 00:58   #477
BHPian

Okay, I searched the thread for 'calibrate', 'calibration' and 'calibrated' but did not find any related post so here goes my 2 cents.

Almost all fuel pumps have only one calibrated dispenser by authorities. And most of the time this dispenser is shown as 'out of order' or the attendants will try to lure you to another one (which is usually tampered). Try and get to know which one is calibrated (chances are less that you will be short fueled through that one) and insist on refueling from that dispenser only.

Try any method to identify that: ask the owner, ask any local person if he/she has seen the calibration process, befriend the attendant, et cetera.
Old 10th November 2011, 11:46   #478
BHPian

A month back when I visited Anantapur, found a IOC fuel station, a very big infrastructure next to the highway, though I could refill the tank as Diesel id approx Rs.1.5/litre cheaper than Bangalore.
We were 3 people in the car and all of us were looking at the reading on the machine and refuelling started from 3.3litres. By the time we could shout and get out of the car, it had already reached 6.6litres. Asked him to stop and explain whats going on. He started shouting on us. Good that we knew the local language, telugu, and asked him to call his manager.
After lot of deliberation, we finally agreed to pay for only 3litres. Now I feel, I sholdnt have paid that too...
I use Shell for refuelling my bike but for my Diesel Car?? back to square one, How To Find a Clean Fuel Station?
Old 12th November 2011, 14:42   #479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadurRacer
A month back when I visited Anantapur, found a IOC fuel station, a very big infrastructure next to the highway, though I could refill the tank as Diesel id approx Rs.1.5/litre cheaper than Bangalore.
We were 3 people in the car and all of us were looking at the reading on the machine and refuelling started from 3.3litres. By the time we could shout and get out of the car, it had already reached 6.6litres. Asked him to stop and explain whats going on. He started shouting on us. Good that we knew the local language, telugu, and asked him to call his manager.
After lot of deliberation, we finally agreed to pay for only 3litres. Now I feel, I sholdnt have paid that too...
I use Shell for refuelling my bike but for my Diesel Car?? back to square one, How To Find a Clean Fuel Station?
Always get out of the car and stand beside the fuel nozzle before they start fueling. Don't just sit inside the car and open the fuel lid and ask him to start filling.

This is applicable everywhere not just cities. Its pays to stay alert for those few moments while fueling.

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 12th November 2011 at 14:44.
Old 16th November 2011, 23:43   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Sav View Post
Okay, I searched the thread for 'calibrate', 'calibration' and 'calibrated' but did not find any related post so here goes my 2 cents.

Almost all fuel pumps have only one calibrated dispenser by authorities. And most of the time this dispenser is shown as 'out of order' or the attendants will try to lure you to another one (which is usually tampered). Try and get to know which one is calibrated (chances are less that you will be short fueled through that one) and insist on refueling from that dispenser only.

Try any method to identify that: ask the owner, ask any local person if he/she has seen the calibration process, befriend the attendant, et cetera.
Thats Incorrect Information, each and every Dispenser at the Pump has to be Calibrated every 12 months By the Weights & Measures Deptt and without Calibration no dispenser can be operational.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks