Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 12:14   #391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
The IOC bunk on lb road, adyar, chennai is full of crooks.

Can't believe they start their mornings this way.

I had a similar experience at this bunk.. posted my experience here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1849872 .
Old 2nd May 2010, 10:55   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
These guys know how to clean their hands; someone actually did this & have mentioned it in one of their previous post in this thread. The pump owner calls up & gives him complimentary & asks to take back the complaint from the oil company & the guy refuses. But somehow the owner comes out clean in front of the oil company.
I know this happens most of the time. Its really unfortunate that these pump operators generally come out clean inspite of these malpractices.

But I feel that there is no harm in writing a mail to the oil company, it will just take 5 minutes of your time.

I am an optimist. I feel that if several such complaints are received by the oil company regarding malpractices at a particular pump, they would take notice and hopefully take some action.

Rohan
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:07   #393
BHPian

Can someone tell me what is meant by fill/top up after auto cut-off.
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:13   #394
MX6
Senior - BHPian

When it's set in auto-cut off, the pump stops dispensing when the fuel touches the tip of the dispenser/ reaches what's called the full capacity. However, some people then manually fill it all the way in the neck up till the brim. Mostly taxi guys do this so that they can travel an extra 20 - 30 kms before stopping to refuel again.
Some also add more fuel till the amount rounds off to the nearest 100 rs.
I always insist the pump guy not to pump in after the auto-cut off.
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:18   #395
Distinguished - BHPian

@smashnerd, the pumps & nozzles are designed to automatically stop fuel flow after the fuel levels in the fuel tank reach a certain pre-determined level. You can manually fill a little more fuel after this point, till the fuel level reaches the opening of the fuel inlet (inlet to tank). Amount of fuel that can go in after the auto cut-off till the level reaches the fuel lid levels (when it will spill-over) is different for each vehicle.

eg: My Sumo takes about 1.25 litre after auto cut-off to spill over. The Ikon takes upto 4.5- 5 liters after auto cut-off, upto spill over.

Some reading material from Wikipedia :

Quote:
Most modern pumps have an auto cut-off feature that stops the flow of fuel once the tank is full. This is done by having a second tube, the sensing tube, that runs from just inside the mouth of the nozzle up to a Venturi pump in the pump handle. While the tank is being filled, air displaced from the tank is drawn up this tube. Once the fuel level reaches the mouth of the sensing tube, air is no longer drawn up the sensing line. A mechanical valve in the pump handle detects this change of pressure and closes, preventing the flow of fuel

Last edited by condor : 3rd May 2010 at 20:20.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:13   #396
BHPian

HPCL- Tricky Outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbug View Post
Thanks MX6

I guess you are right as I've noticed that my Swift's mileage is coming out to be 9.5 kmpl from last 2 months. But still need to understand why my fuel indicator is showing full and I always put full tank so ideally my car gets 35 ltrs of petrol everytime,according to the reading on dispensor.
So my confusion is " Petrol dispensor showing 35 ltrs + Fuel indicator reading showing Full tank then how they are managing to play this trick"?
BTW just wanted to inform everyone that it's the HPCL outlet on outer ring road (Near J.P Nagar 4th,5th Phase) who are playing this trick.
Attached Thumbnails
Short Fueling Tricks At Petrol Stations-hpcl.jpg  

Old 4th May 2010, 12:18   #397
Distinguished - BHPian

@Travelbug, that bunk has been ok, from what I have heard.

Alternatives : the Indian Oil bunk in BTM Layout, near the watertank / Reliance fresh. That's a COCO, and I have been using that for a long time. PM me if you want more directions.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:24   #398
BHPian

Thanks @Condor, I know this location so will try to check Indian Oil Bunk ( near water Tank), but I would disagree with you on that HPCL outlet as I've been fooled by them on 2 consecutive times. Also my Swift is giving me mileage of 9.5 Kmpl as opposed to 12 in same city driving conditions.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:48   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

@Travelbug, np. Havent been there a while now, so I will go with your update.

Btw, that Indian Oil bunk's a 24-hour outlet. Else try the IndianOil at Banashankari bus stand. I'm not sure about any other bunk in the area.
Old 4th May 2010, 13:02   #400
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks MX6

I guess you are right as I've noticed that my Swift's mileage is coming out to be 9.5 kmpl from last 2 months. But still need to understand why my fuel indicator is showing full and I always put full tank so ideally my car gets 35 ltrs of petrol everytime,according to the reading on dispensor.
So my confusion is " Petrol dispensor showing 35 ltrs + Fuel indicator reading showing Full tank then how they are managing to play this trick"?
Check for quality of fuel. Else check whether your sparkies need cleaning. You are not assured of quality fuels outside your terrain when you go on long drives. A pump in Karur sent my FE for a toss during my long trip. Had the sparkies cleaned. Anyway fuel always goes in with system g for me.
There are various factors for low FE. Not just the "amount" of fuel going in.
Old 4th May 2010, 17:54   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @Condor, I know this location so will try to check Indian Oil Bunk ( near water Tank), but I would disagree with you on that HPCL outlet as I've been fooled by them on 2 consecutive times. Also my Swift is giving me mileage of 9.5 Kmpl as opposed to 12 in same city driving conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Check for quality of fuel. Else check whether your sparkies need cleaning. You are not assured of quality fuels outside your terrain when you go on long drives. A pump in Karur sent my FE for a toss during my long trip. Had the sparkies cleaned. Anyway fuel always goes in with system g for me.
There are various factors for low FE. Not just the "amount" of fuel going in.
+1

If your car has not received an injector cleaning lately, get one done (alongwith what MX6 suggests). Also get your throttle body cleaned if you face issues with pickup.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:09   #402
Senior - BHPian

@Rohan - I decided to follow your advice.
Here's the incident
Last Friday, I'd refuelled at HP petrol pump at Kelambakkam for 514.30 they charged my credit card bill rounded to higher side adding 70 paise more (Rs 515). I asked them then & there & every attendant fumbled for answers; however they never reversed the money or cancelled the transaction for a new one (I know this can be done as I've one such experience at Salem). I promptly took pictures of the reading & the registration number of the shop & have written a complaint to HP (attached pic)
Short Fueling Tricks At Petrol Stations-hpcl-complaint1.jpg

Today I received a call from the HP petrol pump owner who is fumbling with words & don't know what to request to me (or may be even what he's speaking). He said he'll come to wherever I say along with his attendant (for what?) while not refusing his mistake (boy, never heard someone speaking so polite in India).

What're my options? How should I proceed? Any advice is highly appreciated.

Last edited by aargee : 9th June 2010 at 13:13.
Old 9th June 2010, 14:13   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
@Rohan - I decided to follow your advice.
Here's the incident
Last Friday, I'd refuelled at HP petrol pump at Kelambakkam for 514.30 they charged my credit card bill rounded to higher side adding 70 paise more (Rs 515). I asked them then & there & every attendant fumbled for answers; however they never reversed the money or cancelled the transaction for a new one (I know this can be done as I've one such experience at Salem). I promptly took pictures of the reading & the registration number of the shop & have written a complaint to HP (attached pic)
Attachment 363940

Today I received a call from the HP petrol pump owner who is fumbling with words & don't know what to request to me (or may be even what he's speaking). He said he'll come to wherever I say along with his attendant (for what?) while not refusing his mistake (boy, never heard someone speaking so polite in India).

What're my options? How should I proceed? Any advice is highly appreciated.
Rounding off is something which most people do for the sake of simplicity or out of sheer laziness. It is done even in malls/supermarkets.

While technically it can be argued that you got short fueled, but I would generally not raise a complain for such a small thing (because 70 paise is a very small fraction of Rs 514)

Since you have already made a complaint on the HP website, the complaint has been forwarded to the concerned pump and the pump owner has politely accepted his mistake, I would suggest that you end the matter here by telling him not to repeat this mistake in the future. There is no point in pursuing this any further.

But your effort has enlightened us that feedback system is not a complete waste, it actually works.

Rohan
Old 9th June 2010, 14:22   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Rounding off is something which most people do for the sake of simplicity or out of sheer laziness. It is done even in malls/supermarkets.
It is not short fuelling, but another form of cheating & dishonesty.

Quote:
but I would generally not raise a complain for such a small thing (because 70 paise is a very small fraction of Rs 514)
Very small amount huh? Let me show you the math
1. The same pump makes .70 paise per 10 litres
2. OR makes 0.25 paise per vehicle or per filling
3. You keep losing 0.50 paise per filling at each fuel station

Quote:
But your effort has enlightened us that feedback system is not a complete waste, it actually works.
Too early to judge, anyway, I'll keep posting the updates while I expect some advices as how to deal if, they call me back again.
Old 9th June 2010, 14:51   #405
Senior - BHPian

@Aargee, I would suggest to drop it at that, its a usual habit of rounding off, I round off my claims from my company too

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks