Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2021, 16:35   #31
rpm
BHPian

Re: I'm thinking about quitting driving

That's sad to hear. Everyone who drives has had close calls, it is almost impossible to avoid. The fact that you have driven a substantial distance since then and still not lived it down, perhaps some time away will bring you the clarity you need. In the meantime, you can ponder at the points BHPians have made and weigh your options or just not think about it all and go about your business. Maybe the itch to take up the wheel and rev up your engine (definitely a Scotty Kilmer reference) will come back when you see others driving. One thing is for sure though, being chauffeured around doesn't make you any safer than when you are yourself in command; you just shift the possibility of the unknown to someone else, while you sit there, in the very same car, facing the very same consequences. While it's true some people are more gifted than others, Paul Walker being chauffeured by a Pro racer didn't help him. You have 100% control over you own impulses and tendencies because you know yourself best, and driving within speeds you can control, avoiding 2 wheelers, avoiding night drives, planning your trips well ahead of time and buying a safe car is the best bet any person has. I wish you all the best for what you decide is best for you

Last edited by rpm : 8th January 2021 at 16:53.
rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 17:07   #32
BHPian

It is fantastic to see so much support from fellow TBHPians.

@carnutfrombanga Please do not deter from driving. It is the fear factor that keeps you safe on our roads or in any other country. I am sure each and every member here has had a scary experience when driving/riding.

Running over stray animals is scary and can be a horrific experience. Myself on my very first solo drive as a new driver, had a hit where a dog jumped in front of the car from the median and I could have avoided hitting but then the dog turned back. I watched in the rear view, all the vehicles slowed down to avoid running over the animal and the dog crawled to the side with its hind legs scraping. I felt nervous and stopped the car safely at the side of the road to assess the damage and calm myself.

If you are a safe driver/rider the chances of getting into a mishap are minimal, else Murphy's law exists for a reason. Have been hit from behind on my bike by another motorcyclist when I stopped at the red lights, this was on 3 lane road with no one around. Imagine the target practice the other biker had and my fate on that day.
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 17:25   #33
BHPian

Take it easy! Self driving is way better than relying on an unknown driver. As the old saying goes, "this too shall pass". Take a good break and you should be back to your driving ways. If that does not work for you, take a couple of long drives in a cab, it will definitely get you back to driving

On a serious note, the probability that something may go wrong keeps us on our toes. It is applicable to driving as well. Drive safe and keep it going.
thetank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 17:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnutfrombanga View Post
The latest incident which made me rethink driving in India was a dog jumping out of the highway onto the middle of the road and my car running into it.
Understand your feelings, it happens, can't do much but to learn and move on.
Be cautious and alert but driving expecting a worst case scenario any moment is not possible.

I too agree with GTO that driving/travelling in India is much more interesting and rewarding than a lot of places overseas.
Also like GTO mentioned, the road infrastructure is getting safer. For example the highway from Bangalore to Pune in most areas(especially Karnataka) is well fenced with underpasses so the reason why stray animals or local traffic cross the highway has been eliminated and it works wonders.

If its any consolation in college days a dog jumped straight on the front wheel of my Bajaj Super and I landed helmet first on the rough roads of MIDC. The dog after a howl went its way, probably laughing at the idiot lying on the road
Had friends who also suffered similar crashes when pigs darted out from the bushes and sent them flying off the bikes.
Thankfully all wore helmets but all had busted hands and knees(hadn't heard of riding gears then).

Quote:
I know that running into an animal on the highway is quite common but makes me realize that it's only a matter of time before I get into a more serious accident involving a vehicle or person considering the number of close shaves.

I have driven another 1700 km on the highway since then but have become cautious, have kept my speeds low and keep expecting a worst case scenario, I am thinking of quitting driving but I won't be able to for at least the next 6 months.
One of my friend gave me some precious advice(after the crash) which has worked till date :
- never trust dogs or humans, they can run in any direction
- hoofed animals(like cows/buffaloes/goats/pigs/sheep) always run forward, they cannot turn around quickly
So,
- always pass the hoofed animals from their rear or at walking speeds if the traffic doesn't allow or if you encounter a herd.
- when you see humans/dogs running around, pass as slow as the situation permits.

But still there will be situations where this won't be possible, so being cautious is the way to go.
I am not sure if you were accustomed to/spoilt driving overseas where you trust the other road users but that has to kept aside driving here.

I ride motorcycles over our highways few things I have learnt over time and should be useful to anyone on our roads :
- pass any stationary vehicle with extreme caution and a small blip of horn
- judge the vehicle in the front also by its body language and not just by the indicator(quite a few of them aren't even aware of it)
- don't trust two-wheeler riders near the villages/settlements, they can go in any direction and they weave a lot, slow as much as possible and leave twice the room you normally would, always honk before approaching.
- be especially careful when highways go through settlements and don't trust the tractors bouncing around.
- wrong side traffic at speed is very common if the road is under construction, have seen a few cases where a diversion wasn't available.
- never attempt an overtake if the road ahead isn't clear even if that means being stuck behind a truck at 30kmph for 10 minutes. This is ignored by a lot of drivers and hence we see the "hit a parked xyz from behind" headlines that often.
Cab drivers do it the most. So you might be at greater risk by hiring a driver for your highway runs.

All this requires a lot of attention, effort and time. And honestly its tiring, so you'll get a good night's sleep after your drive. But over time this becomes second nature, sooner than you think(like our forum rules #mods).

But is all this effort worth it ? Absolutely.
Considering mesmerizing landscapes and roads our country has to offer, a few hiccups/bottlenecks can be dealt with.
We can always learn to be safer, manage our time and timings to make the best of what we have, after all we are humans who enjoy driving.

PS : Assuming you are in Bangalore, which I consider the perfect place to be based for road trips since you have excellent options from 1 to 10 days. I would suggest go on more dedicated road trips assuming your current travelling is for something else.

Last edited by shancz : 8th January 2021 at 17:46. Reason: ps info
shancz is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 18:12   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post

But is all this effort worth it ? Absolutely.
Considering mesmerizing landscapes and roads our country has to offer, a few hiccups/bottlenecks can be dealt with.
We can always learn to be safer, manage our time and timings to make the best of what we have, after all we are humans who enjoy driving.

PS : Assuming you are in Bangalore, which I consider the perfect place to be based for road trips since you have excellent options from 1 to 10 days. I would suggest go on more dedicated road trips assuming your current travelling is for something else.
Excellent points .

About Bangalore . Yes, maybe for road trips. But driving in Bangalore? .
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 18:15   #36
BHPian

I forgot to mention an important point, I absolutely love driving on empty-ish roads, I use any excuse to jump in my car and head off into an obscure route to explore more of my country.

Thank you everyone for the constructive advice and tips. I truly appreciate it, will try to answer member's queries with maximum conciseness.

Reading about everyone's enthusiasm towards driving, the support shown and some of the members' sharing similar experiences has made me re-realize that I can only control my reactions afterwards from an accident. (provided it is not due to my negligence/recklessness) and that I am not alone in having some amount of fear from time to time.

My fears may have grown, because my wife is pregnant and will need to do a highway trip to drop her at my in-laws, which cannot be avoided.

Although I have thoughts about quitting driving, I may be unable to do so and will have to cope with the external factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The glass is half-full or half-empty, bud?
Yes, my outlook does drift towards half-empty more than half-full, I should be more mindful of that.

Quote:
If concerned about safety, you could drive at a slower speed, brush your skills up (like SS-Traveller's courses), get a car that handles better & is safer, stick to expressway routes instead of two-lane highways etc.
I usually drive between 85 to 100 kmph on the highway conditions permitting and would like to believe that i am a safe driver, although i admit that in the first 2 years of my driving life that i would get rattled by 'road ragers' and try to pull maneuvers i shouldn't have.

I will sign up for Traveller-SS's course if there is one online.
Quote:
Quitting driving is frankly impractical in India as the public transportation system sucks. Plus, in these Covid times, no transportation is safer than your own car.
I wholeheartedly agree with you, I truly don't know how to substitute the convenience of my own car.

Quote:
You've driven well over 1 lakh km. Have you had a lot of accidents? If not, please do continue driving. If you've had a rare crash or two, take it in your stride and move on.
I have never had a serious accident apart from front bumper damage twice in the first 6 months of my driving, both happened at crawling city traffic speeds

Quote:
Whose driving do you trust more? Your own, or some cab driver's who you might potentially hire for highway trips?
Definitely mine I hate sitting in a car without driving.

Quote:
Were your close shaves in the early morning or late night? If so, best to drive during the day only. I stopped night-highway driving a long time back.
I read all of team bhp's safety guides when i first got my car and i avoid night driving as much as possible.

All close shaves have been in broad daylight, for example, a very senior lady walked onto the highway without looking, luckily I applied my brakes and swerved. I need to dig into my archives for this video, will upload if i am successful.

A bus driving at speed on the wrong side in a blind curve on the lane closest to the median, will attach a video of this incident.

Apologies for the swearing, I don't know how to edit the sound out.

Quote:
Hope things change and we see a travelogue from you in 2021. Live to drive, brother
My second ever thread on team bhp will definitely be something positive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post

It looks like you are mostly worried about personal legal liability rather than injury/death.
Am truly worried about both.

Quote:
Only solution to this fear is knowledge. Read up on what to do if you are involved in an accident (from legal point of view) - there are a few threads on TeamBHP too. Have a chat with your lawyer friend or relative too (if you have one)
Have read the guides at least 4 times, hehe.

Quote:
I will definitely do so, one can never make too many friends.

Quote:
Cruise at 80 to 100 kmph on highways.
99% of the time it's in this range and when i do exceed, it's not too high or for too long.

Quote:
Use Google Maps to find alternative routes to your destination, even if it is a bit longer. Choose a route with less traffic.
I usually do so, get lost and have the best times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
If you look at it, almost everything on the roads these days, including as mundane as walking is prone to something or the other. Driving is no exception. We don’t give up walking, do we. We practise safety and we practice anticipation.
I understand the sentiment you are trying to convey but driving/riding/cycling on highway/urban roads is a far more dangerous activity compared to others, biking definitely more so, at least if we go by statistics.
https://morth.nic.in/road-accident-in-india
Page 25 of the latest PDF report

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Given such conditions I wouldn't be surprised at your thinking. So to avoid driving altogether is impossible but keeping it to absolute minimum isn't bad for now.
Agreed, also best to not drive during peak holiday seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I dont think >100 kmph is a speed which should be used anywhere in India, except completely covered expressways.
Unfortunately, even these highways have animals and people criss crossing
the roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Fear of danger is the beginning of safety. You, my friend, need not quit.
That's wise advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
Let's see now. I have survived to live the tale for:......

Moral of the story: Sh*t happens. This is India. Do not deprive yourself of the joy of driving. Take as may precautions as you can (more alert, sensible speeds) and leave the rest in the hands of God.
Thank you for sharing your experiences, appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I am wondering, how can one ever thing about quitting driving!
What can i say? My mind comes up with some weird ideas from time to time, hence the sharing and the hope of other members setting it right.
carnutfrombanga is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 18:35   #37
BHPian

Quote:
I have driven about 115,000 km in 5 years, just letting other members know that I am no stranger to Indian road conditions and would like to believe that I follow most rules & best practices for highway driving, most of the time.

I have unfortunately seen quite a few vehicles and people post accident; had quite a few near hits with trucks, cattle, canines, humans and an assortment of other vehicles.

The latest incident which made me rethink driving in India was a dog jumping out of the highway onto the middle of the road and my car running into it.

There was no place for me to pull over to help the animal (a long stretch with barricades on the side of the road) but saw it limping/scampering away in my rear view mirror.

I hope the dog survived with minor injuries or at least died quickly if it was more serious.

I know that running into an animal on the highway is quite common but makes me realize that it's only a matter of time before I get into a more serious accident involving a vehicle or person considering the number of close shaves.

I have driven another 1700 km on the highway since then but have become cautious, have kept my speeds low and keep expecting a worst case scenario, I am thinking of quitting driving but I won't be able to for at least the next 6 months.

I can't afford to keep a driver for highway trips.

How do other bhp-ians cope?

PS: it's been a cathartic experience just writing this post
Had been in a similar situation as you and have had thoughts of reducing un-necessary bike rides couple of times , hence can completely relate to your feelings.

all i can say its momentary and will be normal soon, for the time being you can drive on roads which our well known to you and will help reduce anxiety and for new roads/places for the time being public transport/ola/uber , this until you say all is well now...

in my case a few years back I ran over a dog (came out suddenly on a turn) while riding my bike, the dog ran away immediately apparently with a slight limp but it was me who had a fall, no damage to bike, no injuries to self, thanks to full riding gear and this event occurring not on our city road or major highway but instead near Aharbal waterfall in the interiors of Shopian in Kashmir while we were passing thru the less travelled Moghul road during the final 250kms of our Ladakh ride riding towards Jammu.

In this process what hurt the most was my confidence, i was the pilot of the group for most of the part of the ride but the final 240kms i just was shattered, so much so that my friend on Hero Glamour (125cc bike) had to lead me as i took back and another friend following me to comfort me.
This was me the most experienced rider of the group.

Within a few days i was back to normal riding but much more cautions, speeds down by 5-10kmph straight away and always looking on for animals/pedestrians randomly walking in between.

even later due to stress of riding in Bangalore traffic i took up office cab only to realize what a waste of time it is and eventually back to riding.

All the uncertainties on our road are the part and parcel of the riding/driving experience, can't get away with it , best is we adapt.
and then i remember what my dad says always " try to look at least 2 vehicle ahead of you" and it works many times.

On a side note: Read somewhere in USA/Canada it is advised to people driving on highways " if you encounter a Moose suddenly and not sure if you would stop in time instead of braking you should accelerate".
Apparently the logic is if you apply brake the vehicle nose-dives and the Moose being a large animal will eventually fall on your bonnet and the horns can penetrate the windshield and puncture the occupants. Accelerating will result in the nose lifting up and hitting the animal with higher velocity and pushing him away (if it works).
Gaur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 18:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Doesn't mean I haven't had my share of traumatic experiences on the road. Mentioning a few...
In the end, how can one give up driving and miss out on experiences like these...?
Thank you for sharing, the non accident photos are awesome! I follow most of what you have advised but never hurts to read things again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Wishing the OP, you and all b-hpians the same! Once again, BUT (), isn't it better to heed to what your mind is telling you than rationalising that this too shall pass?
Will keep my driving to a minimum and on routes and days where there isn't too much traffic, if i can help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
@OP: If you are going to quit driving, then you need to quit t-bhp too. Reading, posting everything, is that OK?.
Take a break and start all over again.
I don't think that would be OK, I diligently read team-bhp even before becoming a member, it's almost an addiction to check the website daily.
Reducing trips and taking a temporary break seems like a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torq View Post
few Sundays a month after a heavy 15-16 hours day of work, I look forward to driving down back to pune late nights through the winding tamhini ghat!
Driving can be a zen/meditative experience provided the roads and traffic are ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
It is fantastic to see so much support from fellow TBHPians.
I couldn't agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
One of my friend gave me some precious advice....
I would add one more, most people don't honk when they see canines but if one does so, 98 times out of 100 the canines freeze and don't move if they are about to cross or if they are walking along the side, they usually are a lot more alert and sometimes go further off the road.

Quote:
I am not sure if you were accustomed to/spoilt driving overseas where you trust the other road users but that has to kept aside driving here.
Most of my driving has been in India but i know how easy and safer things can be abroad

Quote:
I have learnt over time and should be useful to anyone on our roads .....
hence we see the "hit a parked xyz from behind" headlines that often.
All good advice and I will implement some from now on.

I don't want to spam this thread with my repetitive replies but please know that I have read all your posts and appreciate all the advice and experiences you have shared.
carnutfrombanga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 19:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post
About Bangalore . Yes, maybe for road trips. But driving in Bangalore? .
Of course, no one likes traffic, humans and cars alike

I once went from Jayanagar to Yeswanthpur via the NICE road and paid a 35/55 toll just to avoid saturday evening traffic.
I followed a after 2300hrs or before 0600hrs rule whenever heading out on a trip or even to meet my friends who stayed 27kms away through the ORR. Broke it a few times during long trips and paid the price at Nelamangala(while returning) or SilkBoard(while leaving)

But that range of options right from Nandi Hills to Kanyakumari or Western Ghats or even further north is unmatched.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 19:16   #40
AZT
BHPian

Saw 4 accidents on my drive to Goa last month, in one of them some guys from a car were beating up a truck driver. This was more than I normally see so maybe anecdotal evidence but accidents are increasing as more and more people start driving. Stray cattle is also an increasing problem but there is no way around that, hopefully state govts will do something.

Simple advice would be to continue driving as for long trips, you would be a better driver than some rented driver who just does Uber / Ola in the city.
AZT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 19:27   #41

I understand your dilemma. On Indian highways, just seeing the number of animals who become roadkills is devastating. The reason is often careless driving and it's a shame on people who don't slow down or brake even when they have the chance to save a life. In rare circumstances, even if you're an aware driver, an accident may happen.

For those who have an ounce of compassion, the scenario of the dead evokes both sadness and guilt. Especially if you are behind the wheel when an accident occurs.

I had a similar experience two years ago when I hit a duck crossing the road. It died on the spot. The flashback of the traumatic sight haunted me for months before I could convince myself that somethings are out of our control.

I would recommend always taking responsibility for such incidents. Checking to see if the animal is okay and taking it to the nearest veterinary hospital for treatment. There are many in every state of our country, equipped with good facilities to handle such cases.

Accidents can sometimes be prevented, but not always avoided. There is nothing such as risk-free driving, especially given the conditions of roads in India.

My advice to you would be to follow your gut. If you feel like you don't wish to drive any longer, you should trust your instincts. Refrain from driving until absolutely necessary. Modes of transport such as trains and airplanes are more convenient anyways.

If you do drive, please be careful of the little animals crossing the roads. It's safer to drive at slower speeds. Also consider asking a person to sit in the front passenger seat of the car with you who can watch out. Having four eyes is better than two.

I hope you do what your heart tells you. Safe travels to all BHPians.
saumyachoudhury is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 19:55   #42
BHPian

I have been driving for over 20 years and have owned over half a dozen cars. I hate to brake early as i feel they slow you down :-). Jokes apart, after many accidents either because of my recklessness or over confidence, i feel i am a better driver because of all that.

So the Key to driving safe, i feel, is to drive slow. That is it! if you make it a habit to not stomp the pedal, and learn to calm the excitement to accelerate at mark1 speeds, you will be all right.

Keep driving Buddy!
adamkathy23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 20:35   #43
BHPian

Quote:
What has happened cannot be changed and risk always exists. This is on par with any other trauma that happens in life. Accidents do happen. You need to move past the trauma. I have killed a dog during my highway drives as well. Owning a dog myself, I felt genuinely bad for a while, but I finally moved on.
ohaak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 21:01   #44
BHPian

Quote:
I have driven about 115,000 km in 5 years, just letting other members know that I am no stranger to Indian road conditions and would like to believe that I follow most rules & best practices for highway driving, most of the time.

I have unfortunately seen quite a few vehicles and people post accident; had quite a few near hits with trucks, cattle, canines, humans and an assortment of other vehicles.

There was no place for me to pull over to help the animal (a long stretch with barricades on the side of the road) but saw it limping/scampering away in my rear view mirror.

I hope the dog survived with minor injuries or at least died quickly if it was more serious.

I can't afford to keep a driver for highway trips.

PS: it's been a cathartic experience just writing this post
I echo GTO's thoughts. Everybody has a different sense and style of driving. Some are cautious drivers, some are rash drivers, some are cautious but do take risks here and there making those last minute calculative moves while overtaking or while evading things on the road(cattle/dogs/birds/even humans). So giving up driving is never the option unless we have encountered a death defying experience( I pray that nobody experiences it though).
Again as GTO suggested change your drive timings or style of driving but please don't give up on driving. It has its own benefits, like I don't like to be a passenger because of car sickness and of course the the passion to drive.

I had faced a similar incident in Bangalore wherein a drunkard while crossing the road suddenly stopped midway stopped and elbow punched me while I was on my Acitva. Both my wife and I skidded and fell on the road. Of course there was a huge commotion and traffic police came and took the drunkard away and the sad part was nobody attended to or asked how we were. Luckily my wife received only few scratches and I none. But we were shaken after that incident. Now I am very cautious while driving anywhere and keep to the speed limits and pre-empt drunkards or other living animals.
chetancm7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2021, 21:32   #45
BHPian

Quote:
The latest incident which made me rethink driving in India........

Well each one of us definitely has his own share of stories/experiences to live with.

I'd like you to see my 23 Days' old Car back in March 2018 rammed by T-Fort from behind.
What mistake did I commit there?
I'm thinking about quitting driving-img_20180316_203531.jpg

I'm thinking about quitting driving-img_20180316_203511.jpg

I'm thinking about quitting driving-img_20180316_203308.jpg

All we can do I follow the rules & ensure that we don't be the "cause". Can only hope that we don't get to hold the burning end of the stick.
Cheers & keep sitting behind that steering wheel!

Last edited by catchdoon : 8th January 2021 at 21:34.
catchdoon is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks