Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2007, 19:35   #1
BHPian

My experience at Indira Nagar RTO

Hi guys,
I was under the general impression that government offices are inefficient oraganisations and the most irritating place to visit. My visit today morning to the Indira Nagar RTO just added more fuel to fire. One of my colleagues had recently been there to get the hypothication of his vehicle removed and he told me that it was a pleasant experience (compared to the RTOs in Mumbai). So, when I went today to transfer the ownership of my recently acquired 2nd hand Pulsar, i was in for a reality check.
Since I had to report for work at around 11 am, I decided to go in early and submit the documents early and push off. On reaching the office at around 9:40 am, I noticed that the office opens only at 10 am (including the cash collection). At this point in time, this agent was wandering around trying to fleece unsuspecting people of their money. Since I had done my homework early, I had saved myself close to Rs. 800/-. There were 2 issues that I had anticipated while transferring the ownership and hence I had called up earlier and double checked.
1) Since the bike had been originally registered in the Jaya Nagar RTO (KA-05.....), I had enquired with a driving school if I needed any documents from the Jaya Nagar RTO and I was given a firm NO in reply.
2) Since I am not a permanent resident of Bangalore, i wanted to know what documents I should provide as address proof. All my offical ids (passport, DL, PAN, etc) show my permanent address back in Kerala. So, the driving school guy told me to get a letter from my company HR stating my current address in Bangalore and to attach a copy of the Rental agreement to this. This should be more than sufficient.
Now this agent kept on bugging me saying they will reject my application. He told me that we have to personally go to Jaya Nagar and get a letter from the RT Officer there. Also, since I don't have proof of permanent address, I need to get an affidavit from a lawyer and etc, etc, etc. He says that since all this takes a lot of time, he'll do everything for me for Rs. 800/-. And now comes the best part.... I ask him where he works and he tells me that he is the parking attendant of the BDA Complex and this is his part time job!!! Now how can you trust someone like this and handover all your originals?? Anyway, I told him to bugger off, but there were a couple of other people who fell into his trap.....
Now back to the headache with the guys who work at the RTO. This cashier strolls in at around 10:20 am and spends 10 minutes dusting his computer!! As soon as he has settled down, I pay him the 35 rs fees and quickly jump to the next counter. Here, the old chap goes through my papers and he says he isn't sure if the letter from the HR is enough for address proof. He then refers me to someone and the same thing happens here as well. Finally, after meeting 3 people like this, a chap in a Hawaian shirt (who looked like the head of the department) tells me that the letter is sufficient and asks me to go back to first counter. Now, the guy at this counter clears all the papers and asks me to go to another counter. Somehow, the latest chap seemed hell bound on making my day miserable. He says my papers are not in order and promptly gives it back to me. I removed all the staples and restapled it the way he wanted (I carried a stapler along just in case.... saved me and a few other people a lot of time). Now he says that he wants the papers in some other order with all the documents inside the RC book!!! Again I re-arranged it. Finally, he says that I have to put the whole thing in a brown envolepe and hand it to him!! Now I had to walk 5 mins to get to the stationary shop below the RTO and get the envelope!
Finally I get back to this chap and he goes through my papers and says I have to pay 25 rupees fine since I am transferring the ownership 2 weeks after the date shown on the agreement (I didnt know that..... my mistake). But couldn't these guys mention everything at one shot?? Then I go to the cashier and he gets up saying he'll be back in 2 minutes. This is at 11 am. Till 11:35 am, I wait at the cash counter. The people in the queue kept asking the other guys in the office why the cashier isn't showing and they totally ignored us. Finally, my patience ran dry and I went back to Mr. Hawaian Shirt and complained to him. He told than even they are looking for that cashier and they have no idea where he is!! Finally, he sends me to another cash counter and the other end of the complex, where the queue is almost 20 people long! After 15 mins, I reached the cashier and I paid him. And then I returned to the old counter and finally submitted the documents. And just before I left the counter, I saw the cashier strolling back to his seat.... I had a good mind to give him a piece of my mind. But i was running really late for office and I finally left the place at 12:20 pm.
Now I dunno if any one of you faced similar issues, but I wasted about 3 hours on something that would have taken 30 mins max! It seems that we have to take a day off from our work just to go to the RTO.... i dont think anything we do would improve the way goverment offices are run. God alone knows what the result will be when I go to collect the documents tomorrow.....

[/b]Note from the Support Staff: Please do not use text format tags[/b]
leodelg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2007, 20:00   #2
BHPian

given the state of our Govt offices, I would say you were really lucky to have got it done in 2hr 40 mins...

LOL..j/k, but it is really unfortunate that calling our bureaucrasy inefficient is an understatement
Old 31st May 2007, 20:17   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Today my gf too had a tough time at the RTO. Since her parents are residing out of town and she is living with her grandparents here she doesn't have a qualified address proof or a relationship proof. She was made to run from pillar to post asking people what she must do. Finally the guy behind the counter says get a letter from your college stating the proof. She does, one officer accepts and checks all the papers and sends her to the next. This guys starts to rave how she cant use this letter as an address proof blah blah and tell her to go back home and get something more validating. Sick these people are I tell you. Why can't they make up their minds.

Then she approached the first officer who had recommended her to get such a letter and authorized it. Then the other officer says that her DL for bikes is from a different state and hence she will have to go through the test again, come next week etc. She insisted that he get this done today. And thankfully due to some help with that first officer she was able to get through the horrendous experience today. Will be going with her to get the LL tomorrow and planning to give that jerk a handful of advice tomorrow. He has been sending her back home for some reason or the other for the last 4 times while she did have everything in place. Its about time the buck stops. They can't take us for granted and mistreat citizens like this.

And yes, a day at the RTO means students like myself have to bunk colleges too.
Old 31st May 2007, 20:18   #4
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodelg View Post
But i was running really late for office and I finally left the place at 12:20 pm. Now I dunno if any one of you faced similar issues, but I wasted about 3 hours on something that would have taken 30 mins max! It seems that we have to take a day off from our work just to go to the RTO.... i dont think anything we do would improve the way goverment offices are run. God alone knows what the result will be when I go to collect the documents tomorrow.....
If you go through an agent who usually sits below that RTO, you can get an amazing amount of work done in next to no time. Of course you have to pay that agent a hefty bribe who will then grease the palms of the RTO officials appropriately. These guys deliberately frustrate those who do not go through an agent.

And you are lucky that the cashier came in at 10:20 AM and started work at 10:30. In that RTO many people come in only after 10:45. And beware of those who do "pooja" (on office time of course) before starting work. These guys will get seriously annoyed if you "disturb" their prayers. At least the cashier did something legitimate like dusting his computer.

I always went through the agent because I did not know Kannada and many of the forms to be filled are in Kannada. Plus many of those guys will answer only in Kannada if you ask them what has to be done.

Last edited by rks : 31st May 2007 at 20:22.
Old 31st May 2007, 21:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
If you go through an agent who usually sits below that RTO, you can get an amazing amount of work done in next to no time. Of course you have to pay that agent a hefty bribe who will then grease the palms of the RTO officials appropriately. These guys deliberately frustrate those who do not go through an agent.
I had half a mind to go thru the agent, but the guy was asking for Rs.800/- for something that would cost him Rs.35/-!! And he was cooking up a lot of bull**** to try and make convince me that he is going half way around the world just to do me a favor!!
Old 1st June 2007, 00:21   #6
BHPian

even i had to undergo similar experience in Hyd ,
i had to register my vehicle and the bank guy has given it to some agent and he submitted 1 and half hour ago and still our turn was not coing and the lady was scolding this agent sayint time lagta ,time lagta couldn't wait anymore i went to the agent and he tells me the story, and i see other guys bringing tons of papers and getting it done within no time ( BRIBE )
i was staring that lady for sometime and finally asked her, MAM can you please let me know what is the status its been an hour and half, she with broken english tells me time lagta, i went back gave her another 10min otherwise i was about to create hungama ,she asks what was the name and i said my name bingo gets over in 5 min,

why didn't i become an agent??

English does pay,sometimes
Old 1st June 2007, 01:29   #7
Team-BHP Support

I am thinking of changing my house. Now if and when I do so I wonder what I will do with these RTA guys.

Hyderabad has now a rule that says whenever your address changes you got to get it registered with the RTA. Failure to do so will mean the police will make your life miserable the next time you are caught for any reason at a traffic junction.

Which basically means change of address for both my bike and the car! *shudder*
Old 1st June 2007, 10:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

I had an equally bad experience at the Indra Nagar RTO office. I had to pay up the road tax for my AP registered bike, and being a law-abiding citizen, proceeded to pay up. Since i didnt want to waste a working day for the same, i proceeded to using the services of an agent. He makes tall claims such as it will require a lot of effort, they need to fill the piggy banks of their superiors, and so on.. blah blah. I even made the mistake of paying him the money. He says he will give me a call once things are done, and it would take 3 days time.

I go back home thinking all is well with the world.
Time passes, 3 days, a week, 10 days, and still no sign of him. I call up the guy, his Reliance mobile is forever switched off. Thinking i have been swindled, i go over to the RTO 5-6 times to check if he is there. No sign of him, and the sissies who source work for the agent also claim ignorance. My patience begins to run thin, not to forget how i am beginning to look like a fool in front of my wife and bro. Bro had specifically warned me not to go through these guys. Did i listen? No.

2 weeks pass. I didnt have a car then, and all transportation and commuting needs were attended to by the bike. its becomes increasingly risky to take the bike out as cops literally jump with joy seeing an AP registered bike to fleece the rider.

I decided enough is enough. Ask bro to round up some tough friends of his, and we proceed to the RTO. Wifey also joins along, and i instruct her to make the most possible noise in case they play dumb. (Its the easiest way to catch attention and also risks the agents lifeline) We reach the RTO on 3 bikes, filmi istyle and when the agents and his goons play around, my bro's friend threatens them. Apparently he has his contacts and being a local knowing Kannada, proceeds to literally abuse the agents to death. They also threaten in return, and the melee continues. Finally the agents plead to give them 1 day in which they would get things done. Needless to say, the very next day I had all the required papers in my hand.

Moral of the story : Stay away from the agents. Simple as that.
Old 1st June 2007, 10:29   #9
Team-BHP Support

@zappo, how will they know you have changed your house?
Old 1st June 2007, 11:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

Only if they send a postal challan and is returned back.

@leodelg, the reason why they trouble you with papers in a particular series/ envelope is because you dont give them anything wherein if you would have hired an agent, that guy would have earned something.

I read somewhere that the most corrupt Offices in Karnataka are the RTO's and the ITO's

Last edited by ported_head : 1st June 2007 at 11:29.
Old 1st June 2007, 14:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I read somewhere that the most corrupt Offices in Karnataka are the RTO's and the ITO's
You are right... not only ITO/RTO, Karnataka is in the higher league as far as corruption is concerned... Problem is Bihar-UP gets more publicity as those people shout a lot.... Here they just do the Hera-Pheri without a word...

Abhi
Old 1st June 2007, 14:52   #12
BHPian

The RTO in Indiranagare sucks big time, there are far more agents roaming around in the premises than the actual RTO Employees...I too had to face the same issue couple of years back when i approached the RTO to pay karnataka tax for my bike which had an outside state registration. Those officers made me run around, but i made it a point that i woud't go tru any agencies as i had lots of free time then....The worst part was that all the forms were printed in Kannada, w/o a word in english, and one agent even offered to fill it out for me for Rs/- 200... GHOSH !!...These people are so money minded, god only save them !!!
Old 1st June 2007, 15:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
You are right... not only ITO/RTO, Karnataka is in the higher league as far as corruption is concerned... Problem is Bihar-UP gets more publicity as those people shout a lot.... Here they just do the Hera-Pheri without a word...

Abhi
I agree here. I do not know about the corruption of UP/Bihar wrt Karnataka, but corruption is really high in Karnataka. If you think RTOs are very corrupt, then just visit the sub registrar offices where they register your property. Those people are some of the most corrupt people I have come across.
Old 1st June 2007, 17:20   #14
Senior - BHPian

Are the forms still in Kannada, @leodelg, can you confirm that, I thought seeing the cosmo crowd, they must be in English as well.
Old 1st June 2007, 17:23   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
@zappo, how will they know you have changed your house?
hmmm... they have devised a way. there was an article a few weeks back in TOI on this. The traffic cops have now decided that they won't stop vehicles violating the traffic rules. The commisioner has said that the nos. will be noted down and fed into a challan system by the same evening. The challans will then be posted alongwith the postal cost to the registered address of the offender.

The commissioner says that if the challan returns undelivered or is lost (you do not turn up to pay) they will immediately flash the no. and details of the vehicle as a proclaimed offender. They say you will be treated at par with any runaway criminal now. Your vehicle will be impounded the next time and your RC book will also be taken away.

If you think your ordeal ends with paying the fine it does not. They have suggested that the RTOs will not be given any clearance by the police to make changes in any detail of the RC book. So you will go and pay the fine but won't be able to make a change in your RC book. The police after getting the fine-paid comfirmation will once again post the RC book to your address (old!!!). They say inevitably it will either be lost or come back unreturned. If it returns they will then allow you to come to the police station and collect it after paying another hefty fine. If it gets lost then you are the sufferer as you were callous enough not to change the address earlier.

By the way if you are caught in the intervening period driving without the license (police will be instructed to be on the lookout for the vehicle in the 1st month) your vehicle will be impounded and a case of stolen vehicle will be launched against you and the onus will be on you to prove in the court that the vehicle indeed belongs to you and is not stolen.

Howzzat? No wonder I am worried sick about changing house

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks