Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2007, 11:37   #76
Team-BHP Support

They didn't replace the door, and still the bill came to 14.8k?

Do you mind posting the detailed costs involved?
Old 25th July 2007, 11:46   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
They didn't replace the door, and still the bill came to 14.8k?
Very valid question there !! With no repalcement of the doors, how can they justify this exorbitant total cost? Also, ten days for changing the door, and 7 days for tinkering?!!

Let me explain the case with my car. Following my car's accident, it was estimated that i would need to have the right front door along with the right fender replaced. This was carried out, and the car handed back to me in just THREE days, as good as new.
Old 25th July 2007, 13:49   #78
Senior - BHPian

Now thats a bomb price to pay if the door wasnt replaced. Like I mentioned earlier, the denting and tinkering shouldnt cost you more than 4k.

Quote:
Car looks good now, and the damage isnt noticeable. But if i tell someone, this is where its been repaired then, you can easily notice.
So ideally they havent done a good job.
Old 25th July 2007, 16:02   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
So ideally they havent done a good job.
EMD, you could have gotten the door replaced. The door being metallic, you would have received 0% depreciation as your car was really brand new when this incident occurred.
Old 25th July 2007, 17:19   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyDust View Post
Update::

14-7-2007:
I took the car to the dealer Sundaram Motors (KB road). I have no problems whatsoever in the process of convincing the guys there about how the accident happened.
The guy in charge asks me "Do you want to claim insurance for this sir?". I asked, "How much will the bill come to approximately? What do you suggest?"

Chinna tells me, "Sir, I expect it to be around 10-12K. Suggested you go for insurance, you;ll get 100% claim".

I said OK, and filled the relevant forms. Had to give him the car challan (original bill), my DL, and insurance papers. (I havent got the RC book still). Asked him when i can get the car back, he says, if a door replacement is to be done, it will be 10 days only tinkering will take about 7 days.

23-7-2007:
Got call from Sundy saying the car is ready, please come and collect it. The bill came to Rs. 14.8k. Insurance claim of 100%. I had to pay only Rs 850 odd. 500/- is insurance claim and 350/- was TDS.

They didnt replace the back door, only fixed the denting and tinkered and painted it. Car looks good now, and the damage isnt noticeable. But if i tell someone, this is where its been repaired then, you can easily notice.

Pictures follow!

Overall experience with Sundy: 3/ 5 stars!
Good man.. 850 bucks was decent..

Did they fix the autocop as well.. or is tthat still pending?
Old 25th July 2007, 17:23   #81
Senior - BHPian

14.8k is too expensive when considered that they haven't replaced the door.
Just for tinkering and dent removal this is an exorbitant price to pay.
Old 25th July 2007, 18:23   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
14.8k is too expensive when considered that they haven't replaced the door.
Just for tinkering and dent removal this is an exorbitant price to pay.
Yep, it is way too high, but generally these people charge exorbitant amount if they know that you are claiming insurance ! Better would be to take a quote from them telling that you are not claiming insurance & what would be the best option to get it repaired with less amount.
Old 25th July 2007, 21:48   #83
BHPian

Guys, here's the breakup according to the Liability computation report I got from Sundy.

Remove and Refit 1150/-
Tinkering and Denting 4000/-
Painting 8100/-
Tax @ 12.36% = 1637.7/-
Total 14888/-

If I had known that these costs are exhorbitant, probably I would have questioned them. But this is the first time that I am owning a car, and the first time I'm getting a repair job done, so it never struck me.

So what does this mean, Chevy's repairs are expensive or was i simply duped by Sundaram motors?

@Nimz: Yup, I got the Autocops fixed.

@Indian: Maybe u're right. But is it possible to get it done that way. Get the dent fixed separately and then claim insurance.

Some people told me that there's some loophole in the insurance framework. It seems that the next year when I get my insurance renewed, I should get it from another insurance company. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited by EatMyDust : 25th July 2007 at 21:52.
Old 25th July 2007, 22:00   #84
BHPian

Hi EMD,

Since your car is brand new, I don't think you had too many options but to go for Sundaram motors for this kind of repair/cost. In my Zen, I had a crack in windshield. When I went to Maruthi, they asked me the same question - "Are you going for insurance"? They had given a quotation of about 8K to replace the windshield. I later got it done through private party for about 5.5K & did not claim the insurance.

Yes, when you claim insurance, next year you don't get the no-claim bonus & hence the insurance premium will be higher. If you are claiming insurance for small amounts (less than 10K), insurance company will ultimately claim the amount from you in your subsequent premiums. But, I am not sure, if you can avoid this by going to a different insurance?
Old 25th July 2007, 22:12   #85
Team-BHP Support

Expensive indeed. But I see that 3 full panels were painted. I would say it shouldn't have been over 10K or even lesser.
Old 25th July 2007, 22:12   #86
Senior - BHPian

EMD, When Sundaram Motors was Fiat ASC, I had my Palio repaired couple of times at their Workshop @ Kasturba Road.

I noticed that their charges are exhorbitant, esp if you are claiming Insurance, but they do a good job in denting and painting, and the Car is restored to almost new condition!
Old 25th July 2007, 22:32   #87
Senior - BHPian

I just cant agree that a whopping Rs.8100 has been charged for painting alone. There is little we could do in the hands of these mercenarians in the guise of authorised dealers.
Old 25th July 2007, 22:35   #88
Senior - BHPian

As long as you paid just 850 bucks for repair why bother much about total cost. Thats where Insurance come into place. 14,800 is not costly at all for this repair job and this is what authorized service station guys charge and we need to make sure they do the job perfect because as long as they do the job neat one must pay good amount for that.

About renewal of insurance next year its too early to say anything. I feel go with same Insurance company as long as your service station takes care of insurance claim etc. formalities. According to me we need to decide couple of service stations in teh city we stay and then take their recomandations about Insurance company. The reason If Insurance provider and service station have good understanding we get more benefits, we need to make sure we bargain for anything if they ask from our pocket too much. Repair will be either cashless or with less amount from our end.

So far I claimed Insurance only once thats for Omni minor dent at the front done it in RNS since I knew few top guys at RNS and it was very nicely done and cashless claim. Very minor accident bill was 17,000 thats in 2003 when I asked why that much amount with smile manager told me I need to pay 1800 rs thats all rest all from Maruti Insurance.

Good that your car is back

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 25th July 2007 at 22:40.
Old 25th July 2007, 23:37   #89
BHPian

I think this dealer has taken you for a ride all the more so bcoz he knew that you are availing insurance.

The chevy dealer in Delhi quoted me 3.5 k + taxes for 1 body panel paint job and denting both so you can calculate accordingly as to how many panels had to be painted + dented in your car.

Finally got my car dented + painted from outside for 1000/- per panel.
Old 26th July 2007, 09:14   #90
BHPian

@namit: I had 3 panels to be fixed. the edge or rim of the front door. the complete back door and a bit of the quarter panel above the tyre.

So, 3.5K * 3 = 10.5 + tax = almost 12k/-

hmmm, anyways i have little to complain now. I've already paid, I'm happy I got my car back shiny (almost) as before.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks