Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2007, 10:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
And tell those idiotic rasKals who delivered you the vehicle why they did not educate you on these primary things. I just dont understand when we would reach a service level where people really care for others and just dont concentrate on SELLING!!!!
Gemi, I beg to disagree on that!
I am sure during delivery, the saleman or technician would have briefed EMD about the basics of Driving the Car, but you can't expect them to tell him that once the ignition is OFF, those power brakes won't work!
And that is why the Car Maker gives the car buyer a thick User Manual along with the Car.
I believe before you take the wheels on your hand, you should have gone through the User Manual atleast once.
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:03   #47
BHPian

Posting pics as promised...

The Geek and his machine in the showroom before delivery :
ImageShack - Hosting :: geekandhismachinefq9.jpg

The damage (pic 1) :
ImageShack - Hosting :: damage2dl7.jpg

The damage (pic 2) :
ImageShack - Hosting :: damage1io1.jpg

This was after the damage was done (The giftwrap ribbon is still intact) :
ImageShack - Hosting :: damagedbridemg9.jpg

@gemi: I dont think its the salesman's fault. Its just that I'd driven only the 800 before (and a li'l bit of SWIFT). I hadn't anticipated the brakes to go off when engine was off. Its entirely my fault. I shouldve pulled the hand brake instead of trying to manoeuvre it thru.

EMD
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:50   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

EMD, thats a painful sight to watch!
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:03   #49
Team-BHP Support

EMD, ouch is all i can say !!
Heartbreaking, i must say.

@ Gemi, since there is no third party damages/claims involved here, there is no need for an FIR. Also, blaming the sales team is totally uncalled for. This was a mistake from the owner's end, and there is nothing the sales guys could do here.

@ EMD, add on alloys or wheelcaps to the car. The wheels look really empty as of now.
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:07   #50
BANNED

Guess we are on the same boat!!! On the third day, my damage is not as bad
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:11   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
geeksrik, brakes dint work means that they are power brakes with boosters. they run on hydraulics which is powered by the engine. If engine is off the hydraulics dont work and inturn the brakes will not work.

The 800 does not have brake boosters so they still work.

Switch the engine off and press the pedal a few times. after a couple of presses the brakes will be hard and you will not be able to press the pedal further. Only when you switch the engine on will they work once the hydraulic pressure is restored.
sheesh i didnt know that. what kind of nonsense stuff is that? its so dangerous honestly, i think the brakes must work even if engine is off, atleast marginally man. so much for hi-tech automobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyDust View Post
@geek: No da, the brakes work fine. but whenever the engine's switched off, the effectiveness of the brakes goes down.

i presume that bcos these are power brakes? correct me if i'm wrong, fellows?

@theMag: Colour is Platinum metallic, so its not very uncommon i think.
bad door . but looking from the back, i can atleast live with it. so dont take it too much to your heart. and do get it repaired if possible. keep us updated. and drive carefully dude.
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Sh*t happens.. Thats all I can say. We can only pray that it is better to have a minor accident than a major one.
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:28   #53
BHPian

@EMD damage is done and its really sad to hear about it. Speak to service center guys and get estimate i think for repair it will not be too expensive. claiming insurence depends on how much estimate sundaram gives. Accordingly u can decide.
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:44   #54
BHPian

EatMyDust,
Very sorry to see the pictures.I can completely understand the feeling that underwent in the process.I myself went through this, while I was parking my Palio in the reverse, my rear left side kissed a Pillar.I couldn't sleep that night.This was in the 3rd day since I bought the car.

I calimed it through insurance during my first service.I don't think replacing the door is necesssary.I would recommend you to go for the insurance claim.

I woul
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:45   #55
Senior - BHPian

oh sorry to see the pictures and it hurts a lot I agree, anyway in future you can be carefull however it does not mean thsi time you were careless.

Its just bad luck.

You are right Vid about power brakes funda I noticed this in omni and other cars I owned.

Geek I do understand your concern as well I felt same too, by mistakes
IF we try to operate the car especially when we are in steep road/parking situation and if we try to move the car without ignition on its too risky however with hand brake we can manage to the stop the car or immediately go to soem gear which will stop the car as well. but brakes won't work at all when ignition is off. I tried and tested this with my previous cars, first time i thought something went wrong with car but later realized after reading thats how it works.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:47   #56
Senior - BHPian

arre bhai this kind of things happen

and the door looks in a good state and the metal has no been pealed off

so no need to get the door replaced

and your are more lucky than i am

my dad gifted me a new alto about 4.5 years ago
i loaned the car to my driver for a day he had some marriage to attend and the car was about 2 days old and was on its temporary number
i got a call from the driver latter in the day that a truck had hit the car from the rear

i was very sad the whole week( it was my first new car before than i got to own hang me down cars only) and i can very well understand your pain
the whole rear section of the car was rebuilt the hatch door and the c pillars but after the car was repaired the looked like new

Last edited by manikjeet : 3rd July 2007 at 12:48.
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:56   #57
Senior - BHPian

Ooouucchhh !!! that really hurts man.

BTW the rear door damage isnt all that bad my mate. My Alto had the similar kind of damage and we got it repainted from a local garage. Costed us about 4 grand.

Dont worry, such things happen and let that not deter you from enjoying your baby.
Old 3rd July 2007, 13:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hey ED the damage is not too bad! All 3 parts (2 doors & rear fender) can be dented & painted so no need for replacement of anything. I would say the bill should work out to 15k or so. Keeping the rates of authorised centres in mind.

And these kind of things happen especially when you have a new car & it hurts like hell. When I had bought my OHC, I took it to the temple the same day to have a small puja performed on it & guess what when I came out it had very deep, full-length scratches on its bonnet & the 2 LHS doors courtersy some brainless vandal. Believe me that hurt like anything, but there was nothing one could do about it. Treat this as a learning experience & move on!
Old 3rd July 2007, 13:10   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
sheesh i didnt know that. what kind of nonsense stuff is that? its so dangerous honestly, i think the brakes must work even if engine is off, atleast marginally man. so much for hi-tech automobiles
Guys,

Shouldn't the brakes work (on strong depressing of pedal) even after engine gets switched off???
Only the hydraulic assistance should go off, right?

I mean, in the WagonR, the brakes are very soft touch with hydraulic assistance. But, with engine off, the car can still be stopped effectively by pressing the brake pedal strongly.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd July 2007 at 13:12.
Old 3rd July 2007, 13:14   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys,

Shouldn't the brakes work (on strong depressing of pedal) even after engine gets switched off???
Only the hydraulic assistance should go off, right?

I mean, in the WagonR, the brakes are very soft touch with hydraulic assistance. But, with engine off, the car can still be stopped effectively by pressing the brake pedal strongly.
the brakes will work if you press them hard but it the time of panic you don't have enough time actually think of pushing it harder

Most Viewed