Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:29   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
and also repainting how best show room people will do one can make out if observed closely, so its better to replace the doors instead of repainting it.
Ravi, even the new doors are painted by the dealer. They procure all body parts in a general color and then repaint it to match your car's color. For metal parts, AFAIK, it comes with a primer coat. Plastic parts (mirrors, bumpers) come in matt black.

So painting has to be done anyhow. There is no getting away from that.
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:29   #17
BHPian

The U-VA door costs 6k not 60k, its a typo error I suppose.. Anyways, sad to hear about that. I owned a maruti 800, 17 years old, in showroom condition. Believe me, the car had not even a 'Single scratch', leave apart a dent. But my car got stolen a month ago..... I was imotionally attached to that car :-(.

Guess all these things are a part of life..
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:33   #18
BHPian

sorry to hear about the damage. Tanveer is right, go for insurance. This is what insurance is for.
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:42   #19
Team-BHP Support

Tanveer was right. As the car is between 0-6 months old, you get 100% on metallic parts from insurance. Above 6 months to a year, it drops to 95%.

Check out the extent of damage, and then take a call.

Zappo, even the building where i stay has a narrow entrance for cars. Even after having stayed here for more than a year now, i am really very cautious when getting the car in, or getting it out. At times my ORVM does take a whack from the pillar, but more careful now. Advantage of not having them in body color shows here. During my early days, had it not been for the rubber strips on the side, the car would have had a big gash on the door thanx to a pillar in the parking lot.
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
maruti 800, 17 years old, in showroom condition. Believe me, the car had not even a 'Single scratch', leave apart a dent.
.. I would steal it too.

Godfather
Old 2nd July 2007, 12:50   #21
BHPian

Hi EMD, asked around.. the no claim bonus ppl say is not very big (people put it below 10K) - other Bhpians can you pls confirm this.. and that too you should not have claimed for a few years.

So I guess, its best to claim insurance only rather than pay from pocket.

Keep us posted abt what the Dealer says.
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:06   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
..on the brighter side you put the first scratch.. so you will be more carefull in the future..
I think it works the other way. Now that he has a ding, he's going to be less worried about more in the future.

EMD - what color is your UVA?

Last edited by theMAG : 2nd July 2007 at 13:16.
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:11   #23
BHPian

Thanks guys!

I feel vindicated, though my wounds will take some time to heal
First of all, 60k is not a typo. But then this is not what the dealer's quoted, this is what i heard from my neighbour. But after hearing your reactions, it must be 6k after all I'm yet to get the damage assessed by the dealer. He should be able to tell me the correct figure.

When you guys say if the repair value is too much, how much? Maybe if they quote 10K or more, I'll claim insurance?

@finney: Yeah - I took it to Nandi hills on sat. so by fri, sat, sun i covered a total of 150km. the odo shows 154 now. FE values etc, and the (slightly under-powered) Nandi hills experience I shall post separately.

Reg. replacement/ repair, let me post the fotos of the damage tonight, then maybe you guys can advise me better

@ravibhat: I think, the misalignment problems etc. shouldnt be there as I took the car on a long drive the very next day, and I didnt have any problems whatsoever.

@Nimz: I'd be paying 15K insurance every year. They say the amount drops down by approx 1K. every year. I wonder how much of no claims bonus would I be elegible for and when. fellow bhp-ians, any ideas? Or maybe the dealer should be able to throw some light.

-EMD
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:41   #24
BHPian

Hi Eatmydust,

Since your insurance policy is new and valid for almost 1 year from now, might as well claim insurance. Imagine you pay from your pocket now and couple of months later, you need to claim insurance again. Then you will curse yourself for paying from your pocket for the first time. If this incident had happened say 10 months down the line and you had only 2 months to go before renewal, perhaps paying yourself would be a good idea.

What say fellow t-bhp..ians?
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi EMD, As long as show room people can bring the doors for original condition no need to change the door then, what I mean about door changing only after if service guys suggest. I do agree for Minor dent or scratch and as long as door alignment is alright no need to repalce door.

Thanks GF, ZAPPO about mentioning fact that pianting the door and fitting even If we order new door. May be the case I saw he waited for long time to get the doors from factory and as per what I remember dealer had told me he ordered doors with same color and will reach his place in 1 week maximum. So I was under impression same color doors will be ordered when need replacment.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 2nd July 2007, 13:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

EMD,

thats very bad news dude. i feel very sorry for you. brakes didnt work? are you kidding me? common emd, i almost went into the same situation with my new swift diesel at the showroom itself, and the vehicle wouldve jumped the footpath onto the road, damaging my bumper bottom.

but i did use my presence of mind and pulled the handbrake. i still dont understand what you mean by brakes dint work. can you post some photos if you dont mind to understand this damage better?

if its a brake problem, sue the dealer.
Old 2nd July 2007, 14:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
i still dont understand what you mean by brakes dint work. if its a brake problem, sue the dealer.
Sriky. I guess you didn't read EMD's post correctly. EMD has mentioned that the ignition was OFF and couldn't use those power assisted brakes. And, it didn't occur to him that time to use the hand brakes either.
Old 2nd July 2007, 14:15   #28
Team-BHP Support

geeksrik, brakes dint work means that they are power brakes with boosters. they run on hydraulics which is powered by the engine. If engine is off the hydraulics dont work and inturn the brakes will not work.

The 800 does not have brake boosters so they still work.

Switch the engine off and press the pedal a few times. after a couple of presses the brakes will be hard and you will not be able to press the pedal further. Only when you switch the engine on will they work once the hydraulic pressure is restored.
Old 2nd July 2007, 14:18   #29
BHPian

@geek: No da, the brakes work fine. but whenever the engine's switched off, the effectiveness of the brakes goes down.

i presume that bcos these are power brakes? correct me if i'm wrong, fellows?

@theMag: Colour is Platinum metallic, so its not very uncommon i think.

Last edited by EatMyDust : 2nd July 2007 at 14:35.
Old 2nd July 2007, 15:06   #30
Senior - BHPian

Still trying to figure out why you switched off or how the engine shut off while driving into the basement ?
Quote:
but whenever the engine's switched off, the effectiveness of the brakes goes down.
i presume that bcos these are power brakes? correct me if i'm wrong, fellows?
vid has answered that ques'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks