Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2007, 23:20   #1
BHPian

Speed ticket on Mumbai Pune expressway

Dear friends, I want to message this with hopes of keeping your money united with you.

On Friday evening, as I was 3 km into the expressway from the Mumbai side, I was confronted by 3 policeman frantically jumping on the middle shoulder, pointing at my car, and asking me to stop. One of them had a big radar in their hand.

I was doing 110 and the signs on the expressway read 80. I always thought that was a recommended-speed sign and not a legal limit.

I left that place paying a Rs 200 fine. They didnt know what speed I was going. But were sure it was over 80.

There was a line at the ticket punching cop - those guys made a killing that evening

Amit
Old 14th August 2007, 10:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

80 kmph is the upper speed limit on Mumbai-Pune expressway. The Ahmefabad-Vadodara expressway has a upper speed limit of 100 kmph.

The cops get busy with their speed guns on the weekends in the Pune expressway, I guess you are plain unlucky to get caught!
Old 14th August 2007, 10:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well, u are still lucky buddy

cos here in delhi,cops catch us every now and then and the speed limit is 50

and the Fine is whopping 900Rs
Old 14th August 2007, 10:11   #4
BHPian

Thanks for that warning amitsingh and hvkumar. luckily for me, I was a bit sick and did not leave home, else I'm a regular on the expressway on weekends.

There goes the last source of adrenaline!!!

I'll probably start to budget for a anti speed gun device.

Last edited by gbpscars : 14th August 2007 at 10:26.
Old 14th August 2007, 10:18   #5
BHPian

I went to Mumbai on Saturday and returned back on Sunday. I was lucky that I was not caught. I was driving at more then 100 Km/hr
Old 14th August 2007, 10:45   #6
bhp
BHPian

the cops had cought me speeding on the mumbai-pune expressway 3 yrs back...i was just doing 105 kmph while the max speed is 80...they have a speed gun with them and they usually get hold when coming frm pune just 1 km before the 1st toll...the cops dont even accept chai-paani and u have to straight pay up Rs 200...

is expressway meant for driving at 80 kmph ?? the limit be atleast 100 kmph
Old 14th August 2007, 10:57   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I drive to pune every other weekend. I normally drive well above 150kmph. I do this in a safe car with good wheels and tubeless tyres.

I've been pulled over once, with a speed gun after lonavala. This was 2 years ago. I never saw that radar gun ever again. I paid Rs.200/- then.
Old 14th August 2007, 11:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

is the speed limit 80 throughout? i thought it was 80 on the ghats and 100 on the plains.
Neway i am very very lucky. just caught once 3 years back, was doing 180. the cops said they stop only when the radar shows a speed of over 120. Thats nice of them.
But why dont they start a drive to first catch buses and trucks plying on the right most[overtaking] lane??, which is not meant for heavy vehicles even for overtaking! and also for the Sumo's and qualis's
Old 14th August 2007, 12:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Dunno which is more dangerous.. Driving at 100kmph in a 80kmph zone or being confronted by 3 policeman frantically jumping on the middle shoulder, while doing 100kmph !!

Even if they want to stop, they should do it using a Police vehicle with necessary warning lights/siren and pulling over whoever is speeding.. Jumping around like monkeys on the middle of the road is certainly not the right way of doing it !!
Old 14th August 2007, 12:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
is the speed limit 80 throughout? i thought it was 80 on the ghats and 100 on the plains.
No scooby it is 80 on the plains and somewhere it is 60[or 45] cannot recall correctly.
Old 14th August 2007, 12:22   #11
Team-BHP Support

Speed limits in this country are rubbish. No thought has gone behind the limits put up. There is a corner on the expressway, just at/after the Lonavala exit, which has a 35kmph limit. 35kmph (21mph) on an expressway!

What's even more stupid and a clear sign that the limits are put up only to form a source of income for the cops, is that you will only find these cops on the few roads that are actually well made and traffic free, hence allowing you to actually drive normally! Hence we will find the cops on the broad, straight expressway, or overpasses like the JJ flyover in Mumbai which was built to reduce the commuting time, however slapped with a limit of 35kmph!

If they were genuinely concerned about safety, they would enforce these limits where they are really needed - near schools, hospitals etc.
Old 14th August 2007, 12:28   #12
rks
BANNED

I do Pune-Mumbai-Pune every week and I generally hit 140+ speeds. I have never been caught so far. I usually start Friday evening after 7-00 PM from Pune (hitting the Expressway after 8-00 PM) and return Monday morning, starting from Mumbai at 7-30 AM (hitting Expressway between 8 and 8-15 AM). So it looks like cops don't check at those hours.

The maximum speed limit is 80 kmph on the straights. I have also seen speed limits of 50 kmph and 30 kmph (e.g. on the bridge approaching Lonawala from Pune).

I agree that cops jumping up and down and waving the cars to stop is very dangerous on the Expressway. Not only is it dangerous for the cops who jump into the road; it could also lead to an accident when the driver panics and stops abruptly upon seeing the cops. If cops wave me down, I might try pretending that I didn't see them and keep moving; don't know if I can get away with that. If pulled up later on, I might try telling them that I was not sure if they were cops.

Last edited by rks : 14th August 2007 at 12:31.
Old 14th August 2007, 13:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I drive to pune every other weekend. I normally drive well above 150kmph. I do this in a safe car with good wheels and tubeless tyres.

I've been pulled over once, with a speed gun after lonavala. This was 2 years ago. I never saw that radar gun ever again. I paid Rs.200/- then.
You may have a safe car and can be ever vigilant, but all one needs at this speed (150 kmph) is a dumb truck driver to pull into your lane right in front of you. IMO 100 - 120 is a good compromise between speed and safety on the MP expressway.
Old 14th August 2007, 13:05   #14
BHPian

Right lane is Truck lane after 12pm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
i
But why don't they start a drive to first catch buses and trucks plying on the right most[overtaking] lane??, which is not meant for heavy vehicles even for overtaking! and also for the Sumo's and qualis's
Scooby05, agree with you totally on this, the night driving [Post 12oclock]on the expressway is become terrible with the Trucks trying to race each other using all lanes, its crazy! No amount of honking makes them move then you have to use the extreme left shoulder to get by these guys. Especially for the climb to lonavala they really get on to your nerves when they occupy every lane.
Old 14th August 2007, 13:23   #15
BANNED

I don't get it.

Why don't you all stick to 80Kmph speed limit? Whats wrong with that speed? Just because your car can goes fast doesn't mean that you have to break the speed limit. Or you don't have to drive at top speed of your car everywhere. Even if your car can go fast, you have to stick to the speed limit.

My friend's Ferrari in US can do 200mph. But he always maintains 70mph, which is the speed limit. Why does our fellow countrypersons always have a problem to follow the rule?

Hats off to the cops in putting their life in danger to enforce the law of the land.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks