Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2010, 14:13   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I believe that there is one Mr Tendulkar that does this too, at 3 am. In the Ferrari.
Sawyer, you forgot that he is God. To most Indians.

Last edited by Abhay : 12th March 2010 at 14:14.
Old 12th March 2010, 14:24   #107
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
MX6, you have no way of knowing whether the TBHP member was driving or not. It could well be a some one else. May be service center guy testing the car.

I have seen such vehicles with TBHP stickers on Bangalore roads.

It is sad, but I don't think quarantining the member is the correct approach.
Why would a service center guy test the car in the expressway after being fully drunk? Then smash the beer bottle?
If a drunk service center guy tests the car in expressway like this, it's a bigger issue.
And I don't give my car to others. Only other person who drives my car is my brother. Why give the car to morons who drink and drive rash like this?
Quarantining the member for rash driving is Mod's decision. It will give the person in quarantine, time to reflect, repent and correct himself. Also it would serve a grim reminder that rash/ drunken driving is not tolerated in T-BHP.
What say Mods?
Old 12th March 2010, 14:40   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
To me as well. But on the cricket field. Not for things such as this, if true. And the other time he lost a lot of respect is when he pulled that stunt about a duty waiver on the car.
Old 12th March 2010, 15:09   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I believe that there is one Mr Tendulkar that does this too, at 3 am. In the Ferrari.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Hence it is all the more important that he is a good role model for the country. Remember the movie line - 'with great power comes great responsibility'. It is true for Tendulkar, as well as for each of us driving powerful cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Quarantining the member for rash driving is Mod's decision. It will give the person in quarantine, time to reflect, repent and correct himself. Also it would serve a grim reminder that rash/ drunken driving is not tolerated in T-BHP.
What say Mods?
All that I am saying is this.

Putting a sticker on the car is a form of endorsement. Hence there is a bi-directional responsibility associated with it.

Meaning any positive/negative happening on the forum will make the car driver appear in similar light. And positive/negative that the car driver does will make the forum appear in similar light.

Hence it is each member's responsibility to be truthful to the spirit of the forum. Unfortunately that does not happen.

If a quarantine kind of measure is done, a member could turn around and say that "Hey, I was not driving, it was my driver/friend/wife/uncle/brother/whatever".

When I saw this car with TBHP sticker on Bangalore road, driven rashly, sudden acceleration followed by sudden braking, my wife was with me. Her initial reaction was - "Look! That guy has your TBHP's sticker. Look at the way he is driving."

I guess we are going way . Let us agree to disagree on this one.
Old 12th March 2010, 15:57   #110
BHPian

Speed limit is essential and prope

IMHO, Reasons for 80 upper limit on Express way (even though it is indeed ridiculous)
  1. Pathetic Road Surface condition. More than 80-90 and the road with it's bumpy and cracked surface, especially at the curves is a killer.
  2. Indian cars are "usually" not equipped with proper tires. for every 1 person going for a tire upgrade, 20 will want to speed with the stock tires.
  3. Total lack of discipline and road etiquette!
Hence the speed limit is essential and proper...again IMHO

EDIT:
Regarding reprimanding Team BHP Endorsed (stickers) car owners - it does not matter who is driving it, I own it and am responsible for the same. Just exposing the vehicle number and a ownership by the member should be good enough to start. Of course there is the risk of a debate being sparked off in the ways of justification and such, but still it might be helpful.

Last edited by Exhaust_Note : 12th March 2010 at 16:00.
Old 12th March 2010, 17:09   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhaust_Note View Post
IMHO, Reasons for 80 upper limit on Express way (even though it is indeed ridiculous)
  1. Pathetic Road Surface condition. More than 80-90 and the road with it's bumpy and cracked surface, especially at the curves is a killer.
  2. Indian cars are "usually" not equipped with proper tires. for every 1 person going for a tire upgrade, 20 will want to speed with the stock tires.
  3. Total lack of discipline and road etiquette!
Hence the speed limit is essential and proper...again IMHO

EDIT:
Regarding reprimanding Team BHP Endorsed (stickers) car owners - it does not matter who is driving it, I own it and am responsible for the same. Just exposing the vehicle number and a ownership by the member should be good enough to start. Of course there is the risk of a debate being sparked off in the ways of justification and such, but still it might be helpful.
+1 to that. Would add another one to the 3 points already stated - Not all cars can survive a collision in excess of 80 kmph - Infact most won't. Hatchbacks still rule the roost in india and most of them come with passive safety features. How many Grade A cars are there on the roads - well, I would say around 5 to 10 percent. It is only this 5 to 10 percent of cars that are fit enough sustain a collision at 80 kmph - that too is a serious overestimation at my end !!

For all of those who still say 80 kmph is still not enough for the expressway, well - 90% of the cars can't take it if the luck factor runs out.

Regarding the tbhp stickers, the Indian Judiciary system says that no one is a criminal till completely proven. Just becausee there is a tbhp sticket on the car, doesn't prove it that it belongs to a member. For example, a member can lend a tbhp sticker to relatives or friends, who has a temporary loss of sanity in thought OR a member might have sold the car and the guy who bought it could have been driving it.

The best thing could have been to click a couple of snaps, inform the local police and leave the rest for them to handle.
Old 12th March 2010, 17:26   #112
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post

Regarding the tbhp stickers, the Indian Judiciary system says that no one is a criminal till completely proven. Just becausee there is a tbhp sticket on the car, doesn't prove it that it belongs to a member. For example, a member can lend a tbhp sticker to relatives or friends, who has a temporary loss of sanity in thought OR a member might have sold the car and the guy who bought it could have been driving it.

The best thing could have been to click a couple of snaps, inform the local police and leave the rest for them to handle.
Since when did the judiciary find it's voice? People here are afraid of cops. Not the judiciary.
And T-BHP stickers on cars driven rashly is a negative propaganda for such a good community. So I stick to my point and happy that Exhast_note agrees too. Doesn't matter who drives your car. When reckless driving results in accidents, it's your car that's involved.

And clicking photos and informing local police? You think we are in US or UK? Try approaching any police station with a complaint. There is no timely justice for a common man in India. We are not advocating to take law in to own hands. But let's atleast keep this community of T-BHP a place for safe drivers and car lovers.
Old 12th March 2010, 17:44   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkp View Post
And then what? How many vehicles do you think do not follow lane discipline? Speed limits?

Does our police go after all of them? Do you think police have time to act based on such evidences?
Old 12th March 2010, 17:49   #114
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post

Does our police go after all of them? Do you think police have time to act based on such evidences?
What else is police for? May be we should bring an appraisal system, onsite, pink slip, kind of stuff in police force as well. Then they'd work 20 hours a day!
Time is not the issue for police. They catch most often to fill their coffers.

As HVK proclaimed in some post "Cops are the biggest thugs on highways"
Old 12th March 2010, 18:08   #115
BHPian

after reading though all your replies I agree that it is always not wise (if not safer) to dry in excess of 100 on our expressways due to utter lack of driving discipline amongst us.
I feel that in our country :

75 % of the people do not know how to drive a car.
the 10 % of the remaining 25 % know but don't care
and the rest know and care and really enjoy driving but don't have good roads to drive.

The expressway is one good drive so what's the problem if i drive at 120 on the fast lane maintaining a reasonable distance (no tail gating) with the car in front.
Also, what's the point in having an equal speed limit on all the lanes...?
Old 12th March 2010, 18:13   #116
BHPian

Quote:
That's good start from the cops. Sorry about your fine. But recently there was news that they are planning to hike the fine from 200 to 2000 rs.
I regularly drive the e-way. I feel bullied by all vehicled coming behind me at speeds between 90 and 150. I keep to the middle lane (the left most being lane for trucks at 30). Still people hound me when I do 90 on it.

Except in some parts of Autobahns. Rest of the developed countries have kept speed limits at a max of 110 kmph.

With morons on Indian roads who don't follow any regulation, lower speedlimits means better chance of survival in case of accidents. That's my IMHO.
Fine I agree than why manufacture cars which so much power and allow them to pass though our roads -- for going at 80 kmph ?
The cops can spend their time in heavily fining drivers who are drunk, who don't have their tail lamps on, who don't maintain a good speed and move like snails on the fast lane, who don't use dippers at night, who jump signals
(in Pune - nobody (80 %) respects signals), who are on mobile while driving.
Just bcos I go at 117 does not mean i am a reckless driver.
Old 12th March 2010, 18:17   #117
BHPian

Quote:
For one, speedos are very optimistic, so I am never sure of my true speed. But I am usually at a speedo indicated 110 or so, which allows me to remain in the center lane for quite a bit, so I am sure I am at a median speed.
Separately, what we need is fewer and more sensible laws and restrictions, but very vigourous implementation. At this time, we have it exactly the other way around, with poor implementation of lots of silly rules. And it is not hard to do that - for instance, I would penalize a truck with no lights by making it park at the side and not allow it to proceed unless the lights were working. Or by imposing a fine of Rs 10000 on any one speeding, after having first set a limit that is a reasonable compromise of safety and quick travel. Do such things for a month, and things will fall in line pretty damn quick.
But then, would that be India?!
I agree with you Sir- this is what I have been wanting to say all along
Old 12th March 2010, 22:06   #118
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samatre View Post
Fine I agree than why manufacture cars which so much power and allow them to pass though our roads -- for going at 80 kmph ?
The cops can spend their time in heavily fining drivers who are drunk, who don't have their tail lamps on, who don't maintain a good speed and move like snails on the fast lane, who don't use dippers at night, who jump signals
(in Pune - nobody (80 %) respects signals), who are on mobile while driving.
Just bcos I go at 117 does not mean i am a reckless driver.
I didn't state you are a reckless driver because you go at 117. But if you come behind me at 117 when I'm at 80 on that road, what you do and how you do it will determine whether you are a reckless driver or not.

I rarely notice people in India going with the flow. If they do 120, then they try to bulldoze as many as possible and push poor drivers out of the road and continue at 120. That In My Opinion is reckless driving.

The road is not a race track.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:40   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I have installed a speed governor in my car, which doesn't allow me to go above 40 kmph.
Because Indians, and consequently the Indian law, believes that accidents happen only because of going above 40.

Please tell me you're joking!!!

SS
Old 12th March 2010, 22:46   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I have installed a speed governor in my car, which doesn't allow me to go above 40 kmph.
Because Indians, and consequently the Indian law, believes that accidents happen only because of going above 40.
Quote:
I didn't state you are a reckless driver because you go at 117. But if you come behind me at 117 when I'm at 80 on that road, what you do and how you do it will determine whether you are a reckless driver or not.

I rarely notice people in India going with the flow. If they do 120, then they try to bulldoze as many as possible and push poor drivers out of the road and continue at 120. That In My Opinion is reckless driving.

The road is not a race track.
Hi,

I agree with you about the road not being a race track.
However, when one see's a faster car coming up behind you and flashing his headlights, why not just move over? This would save a lot of heartache on the expressway. If not, the guy is probably going to swerve into the middle lane to overtake you and cause even more problems for slower drivers.
He is not bulldozing you. He is just faster!!!
Just because one is doing 80 Kmph (max speed limit) does not mean that one should hog the right hand lane.

My 2p worth. No offence.

Regards,

SS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks