Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2013, 09:49   #151
BHPian

Re: Speed ticket on Mumbai Pune expressway

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Good idea by the police. The distance between the two toll booths is approx 55 kms. So covering 55 kms @80kmph should take 42 mins. Police are fining people if they cover that distance in less than 30 mins, which I believe means the vehicle is travelling at 110kmph.
This method is far safer than police standing with radar guns and taking risks trying to stop a fast moving car by jumping in front of them.
but, does it resolve the speeding problem? i can cover 50kms at speed of 150 in 20 mins (and hope there is no speed gun to catch me), take a break for 30 mins at the Food Court, freshen up and continue.

this will work only if motorists do not know of this and get caught unaware.
rohit0103 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 10:15   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit0103 View Post
but, does it resolve the speeding problem? i can cover 50kms at speed of 150 in 20 mins (and hope there is no speed gun to catch me), take a break for 30 mins at the Food Court, freshen up and continue.

Absolutely Rohit. For that matter, it can many possibilities of having untoward incidents on the way or even simple case of flat tire. How are they going to enforce the speed limits in that case and how at all are they going to stop any untoward undetectable/unknown incidents that may happen due to the over-speeding?

It seems like a bad call to decide ONLY based upon the time taken which makes sense when the time taken is 100% doubtful as per the entry and exit times.

The best bet will still be high speed sensing high resolution cameras at various locations, on sides and in center facing either ways installed inconspicuously, on way and snapping the over-speeding ones.
Old 16th March 2013, 10:18   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If one is hell bent on breaking rules, then no one can help. Police cant be expected to be kindergarten school teachers, waiting to catch and punish all those who purposely break rules.
This method is better than trying to stop a speeding car on the expressway risking everyone's life.

Best method is to use average speed technique by installing a series of speed cameras on the stretch, capture the average speed of the vehicle and then fine accordingly. Also it must be linked to increasing vehicle insurance, if owner is found speeding and also in case of accidents, no claims must be allowed or given for speedsters.
Adding cameras cost money, are we willing to pay more toll to ensure cameras are installed and speedsters caught?

Also fines need to be increased steeply to act as a deterrent. A basic fine of Rs 3000 for speeding above limit with a increase of 2000 for every 10kmph above limit will scare potential speedsters. After all who would want to pay Rs 15000 for getting caught doing 150kmph? A percentage of the fine collected can be pocketed directly by the cop (as in Dubai), this will prevent corruption too. Also a point system can be deviced, adding points to the driver's licence, after a certian no of points, the driver loses his licence, renewal becomes painful, insurance costly etc.

Insurance companies can be roped in to pay for technologies like speed cameras, un removable gps trackers etc which can provide for real time data to curb speeding. For example if a car involved in an accident is found above the speed limit, that driver/car can claim no damages for his loss. Also since his insurance forks out third party damages, his renewal becomes very costly. This data can be shared electronically with the courts and police to prosecute the driver accordingly.

IT enablement of laws such as above, will help cut down on reckless and foolhardy behaviour. After all the same set of drivers when they are in Europe, middle east or America follow all rules to the T. That is because they are mortally afraid of the steep fines and jail time. When they come back to India, they happily indulge in reckless driving, which they can get away by bribing the policeman Rs500 if caught!!!

Last edited by apachelongbow : 16th March 2013 at 10:35. Reason: adding more points.
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 10:47   #154
BANNED

Quote:
Insurance companies can be roped in to pay for technologies like speed cameras, un removable gps trackers etc which can provide for real time data to curb speeding.
Statistics have shown that accidents are also more likely when your are in a distracted mood. Insurance companies can set up cameras and microphones in my home and monitor them. If I had a fight with my wife before I step out to get into my car, they can give me an electric shock (via the remote controlled electric cattle prod they have attached to my steering wheel) so that I don't drive till I cool down.

The car insurance companies need not pay the full cost of the equipment (except the cattle prod). They can share the upfront and running cost with the life insurance companies who anyway would need to monitor my life cause once they insure it, they own it, right?

The medical insurance companies can also chip in.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 11:05   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Statistics have shown that accidents are also more likely when your are in a distracted mood. Insurance companies can set up cameras and microphones in my home and monitor them. If I had a fight with my wife before I step out to get into my car, they can give me an electric shock (via the remote controlled electric cattle prod they have attached to my steering wheel) so that I don't drive till I cool down.

The car insurance companies need not pay the full cost of the equipment (except the cattle prod). They can share the upfront and running cost with the life insurance companies who anyway would need to monitor my life cause once they insure it, they own it, right?

Pretty silly and OT. How typical of us Indians to 'want' the government to 'catch and monitor' everyone else except us. We can drive and behave as we want, yet we want to spend 14 pages ranting on how unsafe the expressway is and how speeding should be stopped.
If the authorities try and ensure some measures, its then our duty to critize these measures, without contributing any thought process on how it can be made more effective.
Well I am out of here mate, happy ranting to you. cheers!!!
Old 16th March 2013, 11:08   #156
BHPian

Quote:

I presume that this post was pretty sarcastic. While I don't agree to the point that insurance gets to control each nook and cranny of our life, I do believe that the points put forward by 'apachelongbow' are quite sensible and indicate a step in the right direction towards increasing road safety and getting away from the embarrassing figures of road fatalities in our country. In case you have any sensible suggestions, please put them forth.
Old 16th March 2013, 11:41   #157
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Yes, one can do that but what is he going to get out of it? Blood rush only?
Quote:
How typical of us Indians to 'want' the government to 'catch and monitor' everyone else except us. We can drive and behave as we want, yet we want to spend 14 pages ranting on how unsafe the expressway is and how speeding should be stopped.
Spot on! At times (read most of the time) we forget that we have our moral responsibilities too.
We go through bumper to bumper traffic everyday but does that mean we must do pedal to metal moment we see wide open roads?

Few observation:

> I used to travel Mumbai - Pune at least once a month few years ago. Tarmac surface was way better than now.
Leaving Malabar hill at 6.30 and reaching Mercedes Benz (previous one) office before 9.30.
This includes stopping at food court for breakfast before the ghat section.
Leave after meeting and lunch around 1.45 and catching 5.30 flight to Bangalore from Mumbai.

> I've never missed a single meeting time or a flight back. Speed was never more than 80kph anytime.

> These days I hear distinct howl due to rough tarmac surface and at the same speed.

> I do ghat section with less than 70kph. I go up to 80 after ghat and still reach in time for meeting. Till date I've never encountered any unnerving situation.

Is there any message to take home from these points above?
And yes, I'm much older one here and label me as an old coot. Been there and done that to say whatever I've said here.
Rudra Sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 11:50   #158
BANNED

Quote:
How typical of us Indians to 'want' the government to 'catch and monitor' everyone else except us.
Why do you think I 'want' (I don't know why the want is in quotes, but I will keep it as is) the Government to monitor anyone at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Spot on! At times (read most of the time) we forget that we have our moral responsibilities too.
It's quite a leap to assume that someone who doesn't support intrusive monitoring is speeding or foregoing his moral responsibilities.
Old 16th March 2013, 11:50   #159
Senior - BHPian

All average speed tells you that he maintained so much. If you speed in one part but are stuck behind a truck in another part or if you drove 80 kmph the entire drive, you average the same speed. The person who was speeding should be punished and not get away because his average speed was brought down by bad traffic or a break for whatever reason.

The only real way to stop speeding is cameras on the road and cops checking.

I will admit that like most members on this forum I am not averse to speeding if the conditions are right (good car, nice road, low to zero traffic). However that does not mean driving unsafely.
Old 16th March 2013, 12:40   #160
BHPian

I heard about this last month when I was in Pune. I think its a good measure, but cannot be the only measure. Unless we have an automated detection and fine process like in countries like the UK or Singapore (I have a long experience of living in these 2 places), it will be really difficult to get better fool proof methods.

How do you take care of drivers who hog the main lane at slow speed or lane weavers?
Old 16th March 2013, 12:52   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's quite a leap to assume that someone who doesn't support intrusive monitoring is speeding or foregoing his moral responsibilities.
It's not a leap but a normal thought in place. I never said anything about someone. I said we and that stands as far as I'm concern.
Till date roughly if I count, I've traveled more than 100 times on that road. And I've seen how people behave. So it's not you or me.

It's a thread about speed ticket and not about moral responsibilities. So I'll stop here though I believe that's an important factor to consider.
Old 16th March 2013, 13:05   #162
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

My Take:

1) Have once taken the Laura at close to it's top speed - will not mention it - it was just to check the vehicle capability - The people seated in the back seat thought we were doing 120 - Did this for about 20 mins on the Expressway - Been There done that - Now don't cross even 100 on an empty

2) The Aria top speed is obviously lower than that of the Laura and I did not attempt to go close to it.

3) Now I normally go upto 90-95 kmph and then place the car in cruise control more and go in middle lane, go to last lane only to overtake. Going above 100 drops to say 120 drops fuel efficiency by 20% and a further 20% is dropped at say 140.

4) I think the check for times between toll booths is a very good Idea, and safer. Last week there were 4 sets of check points along the route just between Mumbai end and Lonawala. They caught a lot of vehicle but did not bother with those going slightly above the limits like me at about 90-95. - I think that is good. A friend (out of a group of us) driving down till Lonavala for lunch at the Fariyas with us was caught on the way at about 120. He drove back at 90-95.

5) I think the condition of the expressway is good, the checks that they do are adequate. But they still take bribes - THAT IS THE ONE THING THAT I DISLIKE - prefer to pay the high fine instead.

6) Mumbai Pune Expressway speed limit is 80 kmph overall, the Baroda Ahmedabad National Expressway 1 speed limit is 100. Yes that one is over much easire terrain and a higher limit is justified as it is safer, also NE1 is a Tar road vs the cement one for MPEW.

7) Feel bad to see people in much smaller (I see as less safer vehicles) overtake me a high speed of maybe 120 kmph - 140 kmph in vehicles like the Alto, Santro, Indica while I am doing 90-95 kmph.

8) Yep one maybe can't resist going fast once to check the cars capability, brakes and stability on road but to do it constantly all the time is testing ones luck instead. A Merc or BMW may be doing 120+ and yet be much safer than a small hatch or Basic Sedan going at 80 kmph but rules cannot be made different for different vehicles so we need to live with it.

9) Even 80 kmph will seem too high on certain curves for certain vehicles so one needs to ride within the limits of the vehicle and be well within rather than close to the limits.

Ride Safe and within the limits of ones cars and tyres. This is not a test of driving capability and if one is testing driving ability lets do it without our friends and family on in our vehicle - best on a track.

10) Have had the occation to drive like what would seems to be a mad man in a situation where I was taking a friend to a hospital in an emergency but yet not at the cost of lives of others in the vehicle at the time.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 14:21   #163
Senior - BHPian

I too read about the police checking the toll receipts to measure the times. I was driving the Nano, so I couldn't even dream of covering the stretch in under half an hour, specially with the trucks hogging all the lanes. However I didn't see any policemen checking the times at the other exit.

I am afraid this is just one of those initial moments of action and will soon die down just like every other measure.

That's what hurts me.
Old 16th March 2013, 14:50   #164
Senior - BHPian

Looking by current state of progress I believe that all our national highways will be access controlled toll roads atleast 4-6 laned in the next 10-15 years. Progress is inevitable.
If we start investing in safety measures and strict legislation today, we can hope to see some safe roads tomorrow. Delaying road safety is very short sighted.
Old 16th March 2013, 19:21   #165
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
It's not a leap but a normal thought in place. I never said anything about someone. I said we and that stands as far as I'm concern.
Till date roughly if I count, I've traveled more than 100 times on that road. And I've seen how people behave. So it's not you or me.
Where did I say people don't speed? What I am asking is why should someone who doesn't support intrusive monitoring be assumed to be supporting speeding?

It's like saying that if I refuse to keep my home doors open all the time, I must be doing something bad inside.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks