Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2008, 14:30   #76
BHPian

Dont call that thing "AUTO"

(AUTO stands for AUTOMATIC)

There is nothing AUTOMATIC about that vehicle.

It is pretty much a manual vehicle.
Old 16th April 2008, 23:12   #77
BHPian

Traveling in bus is not that bad except during peak hours. I try to avoid the auto guys as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
I'm holidaying here in bangy and didnt drive down this time due to the bad goa bangy roads. thus i have had to use public transportation to get around. I hate the auto guys for their behaviour, exhaust noise, exhorbitant fares etc. So me and wifey started to use the bus service. after initial hiccups, language especially, and some time 2-3 days, we are getting used to it and find it OK and a better alternative to autos. BUT one has to have the patience and time and the knowledge of what routes to take etc. Have found that the passengers of the busses are really helpful. condutors have a language problem.
So if u have the time take the bus.
Old 17th April 2008, 09:12   #78
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
From the discussion I feel analog auto meters will not go to 0 after 99.50. I dont think it will go to 14 (the minimum) either after 99.50 (if it was the case, he neednt reset it). Probably it gets stuck at 99.50???? Can anyone who has travelled more than 99.50 confirm this?

Nirmal
After 99.50 they ask us to inform and they just reset the meter to starts from 14.00.I believe it does not automatically goes to 14.00 because start number is 00.50 after 99.50 (practically)
Old 17th April 2008, 11:19   #79
BANNED

After 99.50 it should continue with 0.50 not 14.00 because the latter would make you pay the minimum fare twice for one trip!
Old 17th April 2008, 15:49   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Dont call that thing "AUTO"

(AUTO stands for AUTOMATIC)

There is nothing AUTOMATIC about that vehicle.

It is pretty much a manual vehicle.
Good observation @aerohit. However auto stands for auto-rickshaw. This auto-rickshaw is auto-mobiled form of a cycle rickshaw, hence I assume its called so
Old 17th April 2008, 15:56   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balechaparka View Post
After 99.50 they ask us to inform and they just reset the meter to starts from 14.00.I believe it does not automatically goes to 14.00 because start number is 00.50 after 99.50 (practically)
Its strange!!. In Mumbai the auto-meters are calibirated to 3 digits, so you get a straight reading of Rs 123 for example. And these are mechanical meters. In Hyd, its the same 2 digit case, however the auto driver re-sets the meter after 99, and doesnt take the minimum charge again.

I am sure the electronic ones must be far superior and should be able to handle upto 4 digits too if required. The above case highlighted by @balechaparka is nothing but fleecing poor customers! :( Can the consumer courts be approached for this?
Old 17th April 2008, 16:30   #82
BHPian

Yeah very strange. Here in Trivandrum all meters are in 3 digits. The digital also has 3 digits for main figure and 2 digits for paise. I haven't travelled to pay a 3 digit figure amount but the left most '0' is there. For eg: Rs 25 is displayed as 025.00. I don't know from where the earth these Bangy Autos got the two digit meter. It makes them easy t get an additional minimum charge by resetting.
Old 17th April 2008, 18:19   #83
LLL
BHPian

No such meter headaches in delhi. Mostly meter wont work, and if it works and auto guy agrees to go by meter, then be prepared for a delhi darshan tour.

I think the best solution is to equip every auto with some kind of device that communicates with a central server. You feed in the start and end points and server will display the fare to charge. At the end of the trip, you pay via a prepaid card..using a swipe machine. The money gets deposited to auto-guys account directly.

Advantage is no cash transactions, no fleecing of customers using defective meters.
Old 17th April 2008, 18:51   #84
BHPian

Autos in chennai:

No meters at all. For them havin a meter is against their dignity.

The amount they charge you is atrocious. You guys wont believe, I was asked to pay 60 bucks for a distance which was less than 500 meters. this was my state. I prefered to walk.
Old 17th April 2008, 19:44   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
After 99.50 it should continue with 0.50 not 14.00 because the latter would make you pay the minimum fare twice for one trip!
Exactly, but I was asked to pay the minimum fare twice in this situation. RTO in Bangalore confirmed that I have to do this until digital meters are rolled out to all. Funny but TRUE!

Nirmal
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:10   #86
BHPian

i recently traveled from my home in Basvanagar to Cantt Railway station. The meter got reset to 00.50 after 99.50. I ended up paying Rs.103.50
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:03   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmalts View Post
Exactly, but I was asked to pay the minimum fare twice in this situation. RTO in Bangalore confirmed that I have to do this until digital meters are rolled out to all. Funny but TRUE!

Nirmal

That is a performance based incentive for the auto driver.
Old 22nd April 2008, 15:16   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
i recently traveled from my home in Basvanagar to Cantt Railway station. The meter got reset to 00.50 after 99.50. I ended up paying Rs.103.50

Nice to meet a BHPian living in Basavanagar.
Old 24th April 2008, 23:56   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Me too in Basavanagar. Always try pre-paid auto guys from Cantt station. That is a much better system.
Old 30th April 2008, 13:58   #90
BHPian

Be careful when taking autos with digital meters also

HELLO,

Beacause of yesterday's sudden RAIN left my bike at office itself and went home with a friend in his car. Today morning, waited for a digital metered auto which is my usual practice (the old metered autos in Bangalore always shows 1.5 times of actual distance travelled) and got into one. My office is 3 kms away from home and at half-way distance noticed the meter was showing as 2.1 kms. Became suspicious and stated monitoring the meter and found the .3 and .4 changing very fast to .5. Told the driver his meter is wrong to which he did not agree but I insisted I know what I am talking about. When i neared my office the meter was showing 4.1 kms. I gave him 20 rupees (as per his meter I should have given 30 rupees) and took it with just a murmer

Not sure how many of you travel by auto but thought would be good to make the point- IN BANGALORE BE CAREFUL EVEN WITH DIGITAL METERED AUTOWALLAS.

Thiyags

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks