Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2008, 13:16   #121
BHPian

Looks like the auto guys share some strain of dna. Though nothing can beat the Chennai Auto guys.

Have been conned twice in Hyderabad. Once took an auto, from close to the old begumpet airport to Secundrabad station. Since I am new to this place, I knew it was quite close, but never knew the route or distance. The Auto Guy, took me all around and dropped me at the other end of the station (near platform 14 IIRC). And charged me 50 or 60. I had to catch the charminar express to chennai, which arrives on the 1st platform. Thanks to train being late as usual I manged to get the train.

On the second occasion got an auto after 10pm, from the same place, but for the opposite direction. The normal fare during the day is betweeen 18 - 25 depending on how well the meter is customised for the auto!! I noticed that everytime the pressed a switch on the handle bar, the meter would increase. When I noticed this quite a few times, I asked him what he was trying to do, and he told the audio was not working, and trying to get it to work Since I knew the morning fare, and night charges were 1.5 - 2 times the morning charges it was not too much of a concern. So when I got of the destination, what suprised me was he took a look at the meter and said night charges is 1.5 times. I then told him that the morning charges would be max of 25, and I would pay 1.5 of that, else we could travel the same distance back, and little further up, at the police station, I would pay whatever he wants. Luckily he asked me to pay what I think was correct.

But looking at the brighter side, in both the cases, I had paid far less than what I would have paid at chennai. I pay 40 from cathedral road to TVS on mount road during the day, and for the return its 50 - 80. And a night trip, is something I never dare to try, leave alone after 10pm, nothing after 7pm. Also not sure if I had explained the same logic, what the reation would be.
Old 1st September 2008, 11:44   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
I too got conned this way while taking an auto at night! This seems to be a new way of fooling people in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
I too once got cheated by one autowala like this. I was to meet my friend at commercial street. Called her up and told i will be late as i was stuck in traffic. She was fuming and was ready to bite my head off. Took an auto and when i reached commercial street, the meter was showing 60 bucks. I did not have exact change. So gave him a 100 rupee note and started looking for my friend. The autowala says "maam, you gave me a 10 rupee note". I was surprised and thought that it is my mistake. Gave him another 100 rupee note. Again he says the same thing and shows me a 10 rupee note. But i was pretty sure that i gave him a 100, so asked him to show his pockets. He showed and there were some 10 rupee notes in it.

I know i was cheated but couldnt do anything. This time made sure that he acknowledges the 100 rupee note before placing it in his hands.

Lesson learnt. From then, i carry lot of change with me and show the amount to the autowala before placing it in their hands.
Thanks for sharing this. U know what, if you ever travel alone, when you give out the big note, im going to make sure, i will show it to him...... no torn note, its 100 rupee note, while i make a note of the last 4 digits.
Thats all we can do.
Shame on them for looking up to Shankar Nag.
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:19   #123
BANNED

Ugly Scene

After coming back to bangalore with an extended trip over Europe and US was jolted back into reality.

On Wind Tunnel Road noticed a Auto driver brutually hitting a passenger, a young couple who were obviously not localites. He was even shoving the girl away. The guy was getting slapped right, left and center, i saw a HP employee ID around their necks. He was in tears saying i have given you what you want now what is the problem? The auto guy reacts "Tu sala hero banta hai" and some more stuff which is beyond the ethics of this community. He was even calling the girl a whore in Kannada.

Incensed by this i stopped my Jeep, to confront the crowd. But was firmly stopped by my wife saying its of no use - we dont know the language well and no one here will help.

All this while a large crowd egging on the Auto Driver to hit the guy even more. Not a single person was ready to help the couple.

Disgusted i drove away to the Pizza Hut signal, parked the car and told the traffic police standing there about the incident - he replies go to the Airport Police Station.

Disheartened i just drove off. I am too slowly but surely turning into another person who just dosent care.

Hope the person and that girl who were at the receiving end dont have to go through such a disgraceful episode again.

I absolutely hate these Auto guys and have made up my mind that anything remotely related to an Auto driver i will not support. I just hope all of them suffer as much as they make everyone else suffer. I dont feel a bit of remorse when i hear an auto driver being murdered by his wife's lover or if one dies in an accident. Actually i feel glad that some of these scum is getting eliminated for what they are worth.

Sorry if i offend someone, but after the Mumbai incident such things hurt me a lot. We talk about anger and what not but here we are not ready to help a fellow human being. I am ashamed of myself and my day has been utterly destroyed. Hate this feeling, absolutely hate it.

Last edited by Spitfire : 3rd December 2008 at 12:22.
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:29   #124
Team-BHP Support

How about reading through this episode as well? This is my experience with them, and their breed.

Link
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:36   #125
Senior - BHPian

Disgusting, to say the least.

These auto guys will never rise above the filth in which they live.
Old 3rd December 2008, 12:55   #126
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
How about reading through this episode as well? This is my experience with them, and their breed.

Link
Yes i have read that and i remember a chill going down my spine after reading it.

I am not a weak coward or anything, actually i have undergone hand to hand combat and arms training as i was a part of NCC Navy and later a cadet in NDA. So i mostly can handle a situation if one arises. But i dont as the first rule we were ever told was no part of the training should be used in a non combat situation or against civilians. But if pushed into it i might react and that worries me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Disgusting, to say the least.

These auto guys will never rise above the filth in which they live.
Yes and the apathy from the people around including me is just so disgusting and heart wrenching.
Old 4th December 2008, 17:05   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
After coming back to bangalore with an extended trip over Europe and US was jolted back into reality.

On Wind Tunnel Road noticed a Auto driver brutually hitting a passenger, a young couple who were obviously not localites. He was even shoving the girl away. The guy was getting slapped right, left and center, i saw a HP employee ID around their necks. He was in tears saying i have given you what you want now what is the problem? The auto guy reacts "Tu sala hero banta hai" and some more stuff which is beyond the ethics of this community. He was even calling the girl a whore in Kannada.

----

Sorry if i offend someone, but after the Mumbai incident such things hurt me a lot. We talk about anger and what not but here we are not ready to help a fellow human being. I am ashamed of myself and my day has been utterly destroyed. Hate this feeling, absolutely hate it.

Really disgusting, but arent we all are tolerating this and much more everyday because of these rogues. What is noise levels in Bangalore today? We take it for granted but it is deliberately made. Every silencer is modified to take advantage of higher fuel economy & speed. Arent rules against defective silencers not effective now? Even being a localite I get cheated evertime. What is really sad is that a bunch of goons can hold an entire city to ransom.
Old 11th March 2009, 15:07   #128
Senior - BHPian

reflection of our polity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreddy View Post
Really disgusting, but aren't we all are tolerating this and much more everyday because of these rogues. What is noise levels in Bangalore today? We take it for granted but it is deliberately made. Every silencer is modified to take advantage of higher fuel economy & speed. Aren't rules against defective silencers not effective now? Even being a localite I get cheated everytime. What is really sad is that a bunch of goons can hold an entire city to ransom.
Guys, in the last lok sabha the % of criminals making our laws and rules are significantly rising. they are brought to parliament to vote (in the last no confidence motion) from "prison" ... so what we get is what we vote for. Do cast your vote and elect non criminals please.
Old 11th March 2009, 15:33   #129
BHPian

Autometer in Bangalore

The actual fare is Rs.7 per km with min. charge Rs.14 as now

I used to take auto daily to my office which is < 6 kms from my home.
With the above fare I should pay max Rs.42

However I have seen on many occasions the meter jumps to Rs.50 + 2

The usual trend in Bangalore is ask for Rs.10 additional in the name of traffic

However we must remember the fuel prices are dropped by Rs.10 recently. The fare(s) are fixed before the reduction

And we just keep paying the additional amount just to avoid trouble with these guys . . .

But trust me; if you put your foot down these guys will bend.
They only argue if they see another auto guy nearby who is ready to assist him.
Old 16th March 2009, 18:14   #130
BHPian

These autowalas are typical mawalis and absolutely indecent. An autowala slapped one of my friend's female colleague while arguing over some fare.
Old 9th April 2009, 13:43   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
These autowalas are typical mawalis and absolutely indecent. An autowala slapped one of my friend's female colleague while arguing over some fare.
Unbelievable. Slapped a lady? and may i ask what happned after that?
Old 9th April 2009, 15:58   #132
BHPian

Horrible!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somubj View Post
How did that stupid, idiot,.... (many more swear words) do that? That fellow should be

They think they can bully non-locals and get away with it. Wish there was something we can do about it.
Old 10th April 2009, 13:13   #133
Senior - BHPian

There are some very strong laws governing crimes against women. The best part is most of them are non-bailable - its compulsory remand for 14 days - and bail can be applied for only after that! The jail is a very unforgiving place for women and child molesters.

Next time - go to the nearest cop station. IF they don't help you (very unlikely) go to the nearest all woman police station, or call the women helpline. The press will readily lap it up too!
Old 12th April 2009, 19:16   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malikayil View Post
But trust me; if you put your foot down these guys will bend.
They only argue if they see another auto guy nearby who is ready to assist him.
The auto guy demanded extra at Marthahalli signal to go to Marthahalli bridge eventhough I had told him clearly before hiring the auto that I want to go to Marthahalli bridge. He started arguing with me and stopped the auto at the auto stand next to the bridge, there other auto guys started supporting him. To know more about this auto stand, refer Bennys incident linked in the same thread.

I went to the auto stand in the evening to go to the place from where I hired auto in the morning. They were demanding double the fare I paid in the morning.

I hate travelling in auto and do not feel safe at all!

Last edited by PatienceWins : 12th April 2009 at 19:21.
Old 12th April 2009, 19:46   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

These auto guys are sometimes a law unto themselves. And the cops cant do much about even the silencers on these autos ..

Been thinking - we should start boycotting autos with blaring exhausts. If you feel the exhaust is too loud, just wait for the minimum fare to pass, stop the rick & tell him to go & get his exhaust fixed first, before trying for fares. Let him know why he is being rejected.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks