Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2007, 23:54   #1
BHPian

No horn please! (Honking Menace)

Hi,

I am very happy to announce that I have completed one year driving without using a horn, even once, in Bangalore city!

I started of with this exercise because I am a big hater of loudness and noise. In my apartment there are people who use loud horns even in basement parking at midnight! Forget some of the horrendous reverse horns.

I had taken an oath last year May that I will try not to use horn for one month. Initially, I disconnected the horn wiring for one month since the tendency was too high. Later I had to connect it back since my cousins had come and they wanted to drive around. Anyway by then I had developed enough patience to continue further. It was kind of ok, even though still there were some instances once or twice a day where the "rage factor" will pop its ugly head!

Its actually easier than you think. Only thing is to develop some patience when autos and TVS 50s will be going straight in front of you "at their best speed of about 30 kmph" in an otherwise free road! Be sure you are in full control of your car and minimize the need to use brakes by using the gas pedal judiciously. Use gears to control speed. In fact my mileage also increased tremendously from about 11.5 kmpl to about 13 kmpl in my Santro! It even helped me improve my patience in general. I also developed capability to completely avoid other honkers around me.

I suggest some of you try this out, even for a day! A good experience. I actaully would like to promote this culture among our drivers, atleast among the "literate ones" like us.

Last edited by F50 : 6th May 2007 at 00:06.
appuchan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th May 2007, 01:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Even i took as oath today that i will follow all traffic rules like lane driving and proper speeding etc no matter what time of day it is.
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2007, 02:06   #3
BHPian

@ appuchan
I agree that not having a horn will teach the you the virtue of patience.
But I will definitely not agree to disconnecting one. Atleast not with the current road conditions, random traffic, jay walkers on the road.

@Pramod Kumar
A very good oath my friend.
But Do let me know when you break the new NH8 speed limit set at an incredible 50kmph
Old 6th May 2007, 03:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelled View Post
@ appuchan
I agree that not having a horn will teach the you the virtue of patience.
But I will definitely not agree to disconnecting one. Atleast not with the current road conditions, random traffic, jay walkers on the road.

@Pramod Kumar
A very good oath my friend.
But Do let me know when you break the new NH8 speed limit set at an incredible 50kmph
ha ha, I broke it today, i was at 80 but it was 2 am so no one arround. guess what the road from dhaula kuan to subroto park has a speed limit of 60 so i guess we have a streach on nh8 where in the speed limit is higher and it falls in the city limits. And to matters worse they are going to fix speed cameras on nh8 near shankar chowke gurgaon.
Old 6th May 2007, 03:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Even i took as oath today that i will follow all traffic rules like lane driving and proper speeding etc no matter what time of day it is.

Thats the shortest lived oath in the history of mankind . 45 mintues only.

And the NH8 was always set to 60 for cars, but after a string of accidents on the new NH8 they set it to 50.
Old 6th May 2007, 04:21   #6
BHPian

no horn?
speed limit of 50 kays?
heeeeeee hawwwwwwww!
i cant drive in my motherland with that!
Old 6th May 2007, 08:54   #7
Senior - BHPian

The horn is an important safety feature. I cant imagine driving in Pune without one.
Old 6th May 2007, 09:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Horn is an important security tool to warn other road users that you are passing. Also, its necessary to honk while taking a blind curve. Hence horn is always in working condition even in places where horn is rarely used.

I wonder how you didn't come across these situations.

PS: I would advocate minimum use of horns as against not to use them at all.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2007, 09:22   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
The horn is an important safety feature. I cant imagine driving in Pune without one.
I can't imagine driving without a horn in Mumbai either. Infact I increased the use of the horn after a blithering idiot on a motorcycle cut a lane at 90 degrees and popped out from the front of a BEST bus (which had stopped in the left lane) right in front of me. To top it all, this damned punk had the nerves to say, "tum horn nahi bajaya."

Another thing is, I drive a car that's pretty big and as I learnt from Rtech's Skoda accident in November 2005, in the case of a crash, the larger car is always at fault, whether it's driver has done anything wrong or not. Going by that logic, I'm almost certainly gonna land in jail everytime my car is hit.

Rather use the horn and make people deaf than kills someone or be killed!

Last edited by Aditya : 6th May 2007 at 09:25.
Old 6th May 2007, 09:50   #10
BHPian

Horn is a good tool which should be used as an "FYI" not as "Gimme space NOW". I still advocate using horn in appropriate places. On a good road with all following lanes, it is not usually required. But consider driving in a congested road with people walking about. They expect to be honked.

And this really happenned to me when i was driving near KRS dam mysore, and lots of people around. My Santro horn was not working (!! But yes, i did go from Bangalore to mysore with no horn). I used to tail gate people but could not go fwd and Santro is a silent baby. So when people turned back they were startled to see a car so close, and they even told me "cant you honk?".

But i really do agree that loud honking is bad, sometimes just because driver is insecure and just afraid something will happen.
Old 6th May 2007, 13:38   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
speed limit of 50 kays?
Quote:
speed limit of 50 kays?
Where are the keys to my reva, i wont be able to horn as it will discharge the battery and it wont cross 50 anyways

Quote:
I disconnected the horn wiring for one month since the tendency was too high.
Talk about it and bhpians discuss on the Horn threads how to scare the hell out of rick drivers on the road with melody maker and all.

Last edited by BUSA : 6th May 2007 at 13:41.
Old 6th May 2007, 14:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hah! Driving in India without a horn and sticking to the speed limits, good effort boys that's quite nice of you!!

As for me, I can't even think about following the speed limit & not using the horn, wait there are times when I don't use the horn, I use the siren!!!!! Works like a charm!!!
Old 6th May 2007, 16:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Driving without using the horn in INdia could revoke your license, pal, beware. Honking is expected & if you do not do that duty, you could be in serious trouble. Not everyone is like you, they like to be reminded that they are walking on the roads & not in their gardens.
Old 6th May 2007, 16:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Speed limits i can still manage.

But driving without horn? Are you kidding me or what?
Why were horns given in the first place? Using horns is no offense. Ofcourse exceptions being silence zones.

Once my horn stopped functioning, i had a horrific time driving. Specially those fast lane changing Buses and Tempos and what nots! Damn it was a nightmare. I was thinking of using my mouth as horn
Old 6th May 2007, 17:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Driving without using the horn in INdia could revoke your license, pal, beware. Honking is expected & if you do not do that duty, you could be in serious trouble. Not everyone is like you, they like to be reminded that they are walking on the roads & not in their gardens.

Spot on.......... No Wonder our country's favourite slogan on roads is 'HORN PLEEAASSSEE"

Most Viewed