Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2009, 15:18   #76
Senior - BHPian

Damn. Thats one hell of an accident.
What if there were passengers in the fiat.
I always thought that the fiat was as strong as an Amby but it doesnt seem like it it.

@ Tejas ,you should continue your good work in getting that taxi guy(s) justice.
Atleast the kid's father should face this considering his elder son has already faced a situation like this before.
Do keep us updated
Old 24th February 2009, 16:09   #77
BHPian

@Tejas: I am proud of knowing that there still exist people like you in our country. Keep at it, no matter what the result.

@Team-BHP: Can't we, as a forum/team, do something to improve the law enforcement situation on our country's roads?
Old 24th February 2009, 16:13   #78
BHPian

i dont think sending the kid to jail is going to solve anything.he will come out worse an angry young man who thinks he was victimised and there is no gaurantee he wont do it again
in addition to compensating the taxi driver i feel the best way to make him realise his mistake is to take him to families of victims of road traffic accidents and show him their sufferings that has a higher chance of making him realise the consequencs of his mistake
Old 24th February 2009, 16:14   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

To continue with the story from yesterday:

We reach the police station and there is already the kid's family present in full force. Uncles, friends, "contacts", etc.
They all surround me pleading not to give a statement saying your are also from a nice gujju family like us so instead of helping us why are you going against us. All i say is that i'm just giving a statement, not filing an FIR. But these guys keep persisting and i request the cops to tell these guys to let me into the station. But i get no help form the constables.
Luckily i had my appointment letter to the police hospital in my car and i flash that to a cop and finally they tell those 8-9 people to move away and i enter the police station.
they first take down mine and my friends details on a blank piece of paper. I then go to the duty officer and tell him i want him to take down my statement.
So he shakes my hand and asks me politely to explain to him to happened. So i start my story. He keeps asking me whether i had actually seen the same kid getting off the car (drivers side) immediately after the accident or i presumed he did.
I categorically told him yes, i saw him remove his seat belt from the drivers seat and get off and i am not mistaken. Then i ask him why is he just listening and not taking notes? he said he will jot the whole thing down after hearing me out.

Now i smell something fishy. Why? these kid's relatives reached before me so i don't know what transpired. Cop kept insisting if i was 100% SURE IT WAS THE SAME KID and wasn't making notes.

Once i finished my statement, i told him that now you write it down and i will wait outside and collect my copy. to this he answers that he doesnt have to write it down and nor is it my right to ask for a copy of my statement. That can only be given to the guy lodging the FIR and the victim.

I insisted that no that's not true but he said that's procedure. So i said, fine i am not too sure about it but will find out the whole thing or file an RTI for it and walked out.

Seeing this, again the kids relatives rushed out and said what's my problem and why do i want to spoil the kid's life for a small incident.

I said fine, the cops have left a loophole for you and if you are smart you will know what to do. BUT, i want you to buy a new cab for the driver and compensate both the drivers for money lost. they said ok. Just that time, the passenger of the cedia says that i am lying and the cedia was not going more than 80kmph. That pissed me off!

BHpians, do you think the pics say 80kmph?

Anyways, so i told them that if this is what they are accusing me of, then screw it, i will fight it out.
By this time another relative managed to obtain my cell number. So i very sternly tell them that if i get even one phone call about this incident, i swear i will go to the highest level of cops and media and file a case against them personally. Till now no call come, thankfully.
to be still continued...

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 24th February 2009 at 16:19. Reason: Correction of typos.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:23   #80
BHPian

Tejas buddy proud of you buddy!!!! Don't know how many of us here will be brave enough to stand up like this!!

And just by those mere few pics, we can be sure he was sure more than the 80kph. Fiat is pretty strong car, having driven one extensively. And by the looks of the damage on the cab. I presume he would have hit the accelerator rather than the brakes. And the worst part is the Cedia hit a divider before hitting the cab!!! The pictures pretty sum up on whats happened!!

So had any FIR been lodged by the cab driver?? Are these people even willing to compensate the poor cabie ??
Old 24th February 2009, 16:23   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
From what I understand. The following are the victims.

Meru Cabs:
The company needs to decide on its course of action. Do they want money to repair the cab or simply use their own insurance.
Either way the driver most probably stands to loose his 10k deposit.
This must be compensated by the speeding youngster.
Plus whatever are the incidental medical charges.

Premier Padmini: The cab is a writeoff. This driver needs to be compensated in FULL. He may not be aware of his rights.

The road: The accident might have broken stuff on the Road. Its the responsibility of this guy to fix it back.

Tejas: Proud of you.
yes i guess the cabbie is not aware of his right. first we need to find out if it was his own cab or a hired one. Hoping it was a hired one.

technically, the guy has to pay for the broken divider, towing service, fire service, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Are you saying that he is going to pretend as if nothing happened ?
I presume so

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
i dont think sending the kid to jail is going to solve anything.he will come out worse an angry young man who thinks he was victimised and there is no gaurantee he wont do it again
in addition to compensating the taxi driver i feel the best way to make him realise his mistake is to take him to families of victims of road traffic accidents and show him their sufferings that has a higher chance of making him realise the consequencs of his mistake
then why send petty thieves to jail? won't they come out hardened criminals as well?
human memory is quite weak. he will forget the suffering he has seen soon but will not forget it if he undergoes suffering as well.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:26   #82
Senior - BHPian

Tejas, good work there man, taking all the pressure and standing up for the truth. When will you get to know how the situation has evolved? As in, is the "Nice gujju family" going to compensate the taxi drivers or are they just going to bribe the cops and get away with the whole incident yet again (like in case of their elder son)?
Old 24th February 2009, 16:36   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram.west View Post
I presume he would have hit the accelerator rather than the brakes. And the worst part is the Cedia hit a divider before hitting the cab!!! The pictures pretty sum up on whats happened!!

So had any FIR been lodged by the cab driver?? Are these people even willing to compensate the poor cabie ??
No no, to be fair to the kid, he did apply to brakes. But way too late and once he started fishtailing it was a goner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Tejas, good work there man, taking all the pressure and standing up for the truth. When will you get to know how the situation has evolved? As in, is the "Nice gujju family" going to compensate the taxi drivers or are they just going to bribe the cops and get away with the whole incident yet again (like in case of their elder son)?
Will be going to the police station later on in the day to see the situation. I don't even know if the FIR has been filed.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:42   #84
BHPian

@ Tejas.. : Good write up buddy. I really like the way you are handling the whole issue. Well to be honest ppl say, stay away from cops and court cases. But in my life, I have seen very few ppl who have got the guts, to go and strongly stand in this system.
I really appreciate, what you are doing. But make sure, you are doing it in write sense. I agree the kid needs to be penalized for what he has done, and ur intellection to get the taxi fixed or get him a new taxi, is right and correct manner. But I really wish that ur actions would make the kid understand, that he has done a mistake by driving in such a careless manner, and not become rebellious against u and / or our system, and give him an attitude.. "Kuch nahe hota he" and provoke to rash ride again.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:44   #85
Team-BHP Support

Tejas. Please accept my wishes. You are doing the correct thing, and trust me, you are doing your bit in preventing similar accidents in the future. All the kids in his entire khandaan will be scared of speeding.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:48   #86
Team-BHP Support

Does anyone think the presence of ABS, EBD on that car might have prevented this crash.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:50   #87
Senior - BHPian

What would have been the scenario if the guy would have banged in to the Jag ?
Old 24th February 2009, 16:53   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
What would have been the scenario if the guy would have banged in to the Jag ?
The Jag guy seems to be a friend as he was arguing for the cedia driver as per tejas's previous posts!

Please keep us updated on the events Tejas. You are really doing the right thing.
Old 24th February 2009, 16:55   #89
BHPian

they will bribe . . .

if they settle it outside the law; your statement will be of no use.

however if the law takes on with you as a witness, irrespective of you get a copy or not, you will remain the a main center in this case.

but you know, we have so many wonderful people around us and money can buy everyone. first see if the victims of accident is planning for a case or an outside settlement. else you will be wasting your time / energy / money etc . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
To continue with the story from yesterday:

We reach the police station and there is already the kid's family present in full force. Uncles, friends, "contacts", etc.
They all surround me pleading not to give a statement saying your are also from a nice gujju family like us so instead of helping us why are you going against us. All i say is that i'm just giving a statement, not filing an FIR. But these guys keep persisting and i request the cops to tell these guys to let me into the station. But i get no help form the constables.
Luckily i had my appointment letter to the police hospital in my car and i flash that to a cop and finally they tell those 8-9 people to move away and i enter the police station.
they first take down mine and my friends details on a blank piece of paper. I then go to the duty officer and tell him i want him to take down my statement.
So he shakes my hand and asks me politely to explain to him to happened. So i start my story. He keeps asking me whether i had actually seen the same kid getting off the car (drivers side) immediately after the accident or i presumed he did.
I categorically told him yes, i saw him remove his seat belt from the drivers seat and get off and i am not mistaken. Then i ask him why is he just listening and not taking notes? he said he will jot the whole thing down after hearing me out.

Now i smell something fishy. Why? these kid's relatives reached before me so i don't know what transpired. Cop kept insisting if i was 100% SURE IT WAS THE SAME KID and wasn't making notes.

Once i finished my statement, i told him that now you write it down and i will wait outside and collect my copy. to this he answers that he doesnt have to write it down and nor is it my right to ask for a copy of my statement. That can only be given to the guy lodging the FIR and the victim.

I insisted that no that's not true but he said that's procedure. So i said, fine i am not too sure about it but will find out the whole thing or file an RTI for it and walked out.

Seeing this, again the kids relatives rushed out and said what's my problem and why do i want to spoil the kid's life for a small incident.

I said fine, the cops have left a loophole for you and if you are smart you will know what to do. BUT, i want you to buy a new cab for the driver and compensate both the drivers for money lost. they said ok. Just that time, the passenger of the cedia says that i am lying and the cedia was not going more than 80kmph. That pissed me off!

BHpians, do you think the pics say 80kmph?

Anyways, so i told them that if this is what they are accusing me of, then screw it, i will fight it out.
By this time another relative managed to obtain my cell number. So i very sternly tell them that if i get even one phone call about this incident, i swear i will go to the highest level of cops and media and file a case against them personally. Till now no call come, thankfully.
to be still continued...
Old 24th February 2009, 17:04   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Does anyone think the presence of ABS, EBD on that car might have prevented this crash.
The car has ABS+EBD if thats what you wish to know and has some of the best brakes out there in its segment. This is a case of sheer stupidity on the part of the driver.

I feel really sorry for the taxi guy and also the poor car that got totaled because of carelessness and rash driving. Feels sad because I own exactly the same car (even the color) and I make it a point to ensure that its never scratched.

Kudos to Tejas for his persistence. Lunatics on road like these deserve to learn a lesson.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks