Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2009, 20:53   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Speeding youngster damages several cars : A first-hand account

So this late afternoon i'm driving at marine drive (bombay) with another bhpian (jasher) in my OHC and see this Jag next to us and start drooling. Fate has it that both our cars are next to each other at the next signal and in the the first row.
So this guy sees us drooling and when the signal starts, i speed off and reach around 40kms an hour before he even starts. So as i look in the rear view mirror, i see this blur coming from behind and by the time i reach sixty, he zooms pass me and stops at the next signal around 100 meters ahead.
Immediately behind that we also notice a red cedia trying to catch up to this lancer. The cedia must be atleast at 120kmph and now we are 75meters from the cars stationary at this upcoming signal. My foot is off the gas but this dude is full throttle as he passes us trying to catch the already stationary jag. Around 40 meters before he reaches the last of cars he decides to brake and realizes that he will not make it and will bang into the jag. So he decides to twitch the steering a bit to avoid it. Big mistake! Car fishtails wildly slams into the divider, then into a stationary taxi ahead missing the jag by inches. Such an impact it was that this cab slams into a meru in front which inturn slams another car in front of that.
This whole thing went by in slow motion for us... both of us must have said oh sh*t like 100 times before the actual crash...
Now posting the pics... will continue the next part of the long saga next...
Attached Thumbnails
Speeding youngster damages several cars : A first-hand account-img_0102.jpg  

Speeding youngster damages several cars : A first-hand account-img_0103.jpg  

Speeding youngster damages several cars : A first-hand account-img_0104.jpg  

Speeding youngster damages several cars : A first-hand account-img_0105.jpg  

Speeding youngster damages several cars : A first-hand account-img_0106.jpg  

Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

continued...

So we stop and get out of the car and see this young kid coming out dazed. I immediately take his pictures as he is trying to exit his car for evidence. There were four passengers in the cedia and all are ok.

The taxi was totalled!. Thankfully no passengers inside. As jasher opened the door to let the cabbie out from below the broken seat and between the steering and the dash, the guy was so dazed, he started saying, i will only go to nariman point, sit in the cab. He had no idea what happened. He got to his senses after a few minutes. I diagnosed it as a rib fracture and a definite concussion. Soon traffic snarled and cops arrived and they took the taxi guy to the hospital.

Now i'm gonna take a bath break and post more later. Just got home after this 5 hour saga!
Attached Thumbnails
Speeding youngster damages several cars : A first-hand account-img_0107.jpg  

Speeding youngster damages several cars : A first-hand account-img_0108.jpg  

Speeding youngster damages several cars : A first-hand account-img_0109.jpg  

Speeding youngster damages several cars : A first-hand account-img_0110.jpg  

Speeding youngster damages several cars : A first-hand account-img_0111.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2009, 21:12   #3
Senior - BHPian

That's quite an impact. The CNG cylinder survived in both the cabs. Did you see the condition?

Also the Jag you speak of, was it a blue coloured XF?

Drifter
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
That's quite an impact. The CNG cylinder survived in both the cabs. Did you see the condition?

Also the Jag you speak of, was it a blue coloured XF?

Drifter
Yes, do you know the dude?! Those guys were full on pressuring me not to do the right thing and not to give a statement. But i stood my ground. More details later.

The fiat taxi cylinder had a suspect leak and a fire engine was summoned.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:19   #5
BHPian

Oh..man all the cars are badly damaged.
Do you have some more wide angle photos?
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

When did this happen? As long as you did the right thing, its cool.

Drifter
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:20   #7
rippergeo

Actually, this would have been quite funny if not for the 2 innocent cabs(especially the poor fiat) that were taken out by the silly kid.

Old 23rd February 2009, 21:21   #8
BHPian

Good Lord that is quite horrendous!

I hope the cops got hold of that stupid kid who was driving Tejas. Good you took his pic. Waiting for an update as to waht happened? Did the Police do what they were actually supposed to do or the usual?

EDIT: Great going Tejas that you stood to your ground! Teach that kid a lesson this time (I know you must be thinking why do ALL kids end up doing stupid things on the road in front of me only!)

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th February 2009 at 00:05. Reason: Post split.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:23   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When did this happen? As long as you did the right thing, its cool.

Drifter
Around 5:30 - 5:45pm today. I have the exact time written down somewhere.
Once i finish the full story, i have a lot of question to ask all and need advice on future steps to proceed.

EDIT: No other pics which i can put up. Rest uploaded to many servers as back up.

Yeah Brabus, it really is rear ending season and pisses me off!

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 23rd February 2009 at 21:26.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

@tejas : Nice of you and other tbhian to stop and help others. I really appreciate this. Mostly people will get away from the scene.

The Premier Padmini has taken a huge impact. I am now sure this was a very high speed impact. The fact that the taxi driver spoke " Nariman .. " was shocking. Thankfully he was not seriously hurt.
Those kids need and their behavior prove all four of them deserve life time ban from driving cars. Just have a look at Cedia and Premier Padmini and even esteem for that matter, this is not a slow speed crash.

Must have been horrible to witness.

Last edited by Rehaan : 24th February 2009 at 00:05. Reason: Post split.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:28   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
@tejas : Nice of you and other tbhian to stop and help others. I really appreciate this. Mostly people will get away from the scene.

The Premier Padmini has taken a huge impact. I am now sure this was a very high speed impact. The fact that the taxi driver spoke " Nariman .. " was shocking. Thankfully he was not seriously hurt.
Those kids need and their behavior prove all four of them deserve life time ban from driving cars. Just have a look at Cedia and Premier Padmini and even esteem for that matter, this is not a slow speed crash.
The fiat was stationary!!! If you see the pic carefully, you will see the CNG cylinder all the way into the passenger seat! Imagine if there was a passenger!
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Was that guy detained by police?
Taxi driver is really unfortunate to get in this mess. He was saved is a relief though as impact was on the back of taxi.
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:42   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

OMG, that was a really bad crash. Going by your description, the Cedia scraped off a lot of speed on the wall, or it could have been far worse...
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

@Tejas: its cool, it couldn't have been a colleague since we had a certain blue XF for testing sometime back. Was just curious about the incident.

Don't worry about the cops too much. You were just a passerby right?

Drifter
Old 23rd February 2009, 22:00   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Tejas: its cool, it couldn't have been a colleague since we had a certain blue XF for testing sometime back. Was just curious about the incident.

Don't worry about the cops too much. You were just a passerby right?

Drifter
I'm not bothered about myself. I'm a police doc and am in the right. What i will later want to ask is later...

So to carry on the topic:

Cops come to the spot and i exactly tell them what happened. And i was really angry at the kid since he drove like a maniac! The cops seize his license and he is exactly 18 years and 4 months. Got the license issued this jan. Personally i think its fake but lets give him the benefit of doubt.

By this time the traffic is a mess. A few friends and relatives see me and presume the red car is mine and start calling and stopping adding to the pandemonium.

Soon the kid's mom reaches the spot and tells me to just go away and why i am hell bent on spoiling their son's life? The cops take her away and one constable accompanies me and jasher to the police station and the kid comes in the police jeep.

At the police station full family is there and keep telling me that they are from a nice family and why should i spoil his son's career by giving a witness statement. Then what pissed me off is that the father says that his elder son also got into a similar situation by banging into a horse carriage and the cops harassed them with court cases (he had injured people in that case) and so i should not give a statement. I'm like, shouldn't the first case have opened the eyes of the father? Then he goes on to tell me that he will severely punish the child by not letting him drive for 6 months and that i am free to slap him! Is this severe punishment? i think not!

Next: police station story...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed