Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2021, 12:06   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Roads in Delhi and NCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I recently used the KMP expressway while coming back to Delhi from Chandigarh, as an alternate to avoid the farmer's protest. Sonipat to Dwarka expressway was a breeze.

However, I could not find any speed limit indications. What is the speed limit here?
Varies between 100 and 120kmph. It is 120kmph most of the way.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 12:32   #92
BHPian

Two camera grids have been added to the EPE, going from Mavikalan Toll Plaza to Dasna toll plaza. They have been installed on the metal structures panning the whole width of the road. I am not sure if there is a speed trap too. A green colour light is visible from a distance on the metal structure.
Old 15th October 2021, 22:27   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Varies between 100 and 120kmph. It is 120kmph most of the way.
At some places the limit is 80 but mostly 120 km/h.
Yamuna expressway, which is a truly great road, has speed limit of 100 km/h whereas this pathetic road(now) called KMP expressway has 120 km/h speed limit. Last year I was able to reach 7000 RPM in 4th gear on this road in my City. This year I cannot redline in 2nd gear confidently. The road has deteriorated that much. Maybe I own a car which is not very confident inspiring at high speeds. I feel that safe speed on this road is upto 80-90 km/h. The less traffic and high speed limit give one a false sense of safety.

Suppose, on a nice day you are listening to Shine On Your Crazy Diamond Part I-V and cruising on this road at 120 km/h (following the speed limit). Suddenly you see dip in the road that is tilted towards the median. You cannot do anything but hope for the best. Next moment you are struggling to keep your car from going on the median. So IMHO please watch your speed on KMP expressway and avoid the right most lane.
Learner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2021, 05:59   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
Maybe I own a car which is not very confident inspiring at high speeds. I feel that safe speed on this road is upto 80-90 km/h.
cruising on this road at 120 km/h (following the speed limit). Suddenly you see dip in the road that is tilted towards the median. You cannot do anything but hope for the best. Next moment you are struggling to keep your car from going on the median.
As a fellow owner of a Gen 4 City, I can relate with every word. Yes, the surface of KMP is a bit bumpy and uneven, made so much worse by the bouncy and pathetic rear end of the City. Add to it that super light steering. Seriously, City has the stability and damping ability of something like the WagonR. Needs full concentration and very steady hands if you want to maintain 100kmph on KMP. And yes, I also felt more in control at 80-90. It is an identical story with the Fortuner as well.

But, if you ever get to experience this road in a better breed of car with well tuned suspensions, you will realise what a massive difference it makes. I am easily able to maintain 100-120kmph throughout in my Hexa as well as my Compass. No unnecessary bouncing around, no scary moments. More than the dips, it is the trucks hogging the fast lane that become the problem.

Goes to show that if we want to drive on these new roads where we need to maintain 100+ throughout, we need better cars with sorted suspensions and handling. Big names and past reputations don’t cut it.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 16th October 2021 at 06:25.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2021, 22:06   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
As a fellow owner of a Gen 4 City, I can relate with every word. Yes, the surface of KMP is a bit bumpy and uneven, made so much worse by the bouncy and pathetic rear end of the City.
Thank you for you response. An update:
The stretch between Manesar and Kundli is repaired now. So I can max out the third gear and move to fourth on this part of the road just like the last year. However the stretch between Manesar and Palwal is still full of potholes. The best way to avoid these is to drive on the left most lane which is still ok. Moreover I noticed that between Manesar and Kundli the speed limit is 120/80 kmph whereas between Manesar and Palwal it is 100/80 kmph.
Old 7th February 2022, 09:28   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
Thank you for you response. An update:
The stretch between Manesar and Kundli is repaired now. So I can max out the third gear and move to fourth on this part of the road just like the last year. However the stretch between Manesar and Palwal is still full of potholes. The best way to avoid these is to drive on the left most lane which is still ok. Moreover I noticed that between Manesar and Kundli the speed limit is 120/80 kmph whereas between Manesar and Palwal it is 100/80 kmph.
I had a question, being new to the area.

I am stationed in SNU, ie. Shiv Nadar University (near Dadri in the south-eastern corner of NCR area, very close to EPE). Exact GMaps location: https://goo.gl/maps/cZUCoBG9Y6dadWpG7

I may need to travel to Dwarka/airport-area off and on. What route would you suggest?

I was thinking of SNU -> Anti-clockwise on EPE -> Get off EPE at Dasna at Hapur interchange and go west on Hapur-Delhi Rd NH9 -> After 1.5 kms get on to Meerut-Delhi Expwy -> Take the exit for Akshardham and park at Akshardham Metro Parking -> Take Blue line metro to Dwarka

Would you recommend this? Does metro parking have sufficient car parking? If it gets full, is there an alternate parking near there?

I was inclined to park in outskirts and take metro for a couple of reasons/concerns:
1) Mine is an out-of-state registered car (Karnataka state) nor do I have HSRP (not rolled out in KA yet), and was worried about being caught by Delhi police in inner city roads. As long as I stick to major hwys, I thought it may be ok.
2) Not intimately familiar with Delhi inner city roads
3) Seems like a good way to beat the traffic
4) This route gets me to Connaught Place too, which I have reasons to visit sometimes

And a slight variant to this question:
Occasionally I may need to go the IGI airport to pick-up/drop-off someone. What variation of the above would you recommend? (with same concerns in mind as the above 4)

Last edited by vharihar : 7th February 2022 at 09:29.
Old 8th February 2022, 17:22   #97
Senior - BHPian

Non HSRP cars are very easy to detect and is quite a fav catch of Delhi cops. Avoid getting in Delhi (even highways) with non HSRP car.

Out of state cars are not an issue in Delhi, being National Capital. However, 15 years older petrol car, 10 years old Diesel car are not allowed as per SC order.

You can park your car at Noida Electronics City Metro station nearby area and then take Blue line metro. However, from here till Airport T3 will be a long journey. You have to change metro at Dwarka Sec 21 and board Airport Express Line

Last edited by tanwaramit : 8th February 2022 at 17:26.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 19:56   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Non HSRP cars are very easy to detect and is quite a fav catch of Delhi cops. Avoid getting in Delhi (even highways) with non HSRP car.

Out of state cars are not an issue in Delhi, being National Capital. However, 15 years older petrol car, 10 years old Diesel car are not allowed as per SC order.

You can park your car at Noida Electronics City Metro station nearby area and then take Blue line metro. However, from here till Airport T3 will be a long journey. You have to change metro at Dwarka Sec 21 and board Airport Express Line
If out-of-state car is ok in NCR region, and if HSRP not rolled out in Karnataka, will the cops still catch and fine?

There's no way I can get HSRP in Karnataka (it's rolled out only for cars sold after 2019 or so, mine is 2017)
Old 8th February 2022, 21:34   #99
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
If out-of-state car is ok in NCR region, and if HSRP not rolled out in Karnataka, will the cops still catch and fine?

There's no way I can get HSRP in Karnataka (it's rolled out only for cars sold after 2019 or so, mine is 2017)
Nope. Delhi Police does not have the power to challan out of state cars for HSRP violation. I read the gazette notification (attached) issued by the Delhi Government (on the basis of which Delhi Police could challan vehicles for this violation) which specifically said that only Delhi registered vehicles would be challaned. I remember this because I was scared about my UP registered Honda City being stopped by the cops when this whole brouhaha was at its peak back in 2020.

P.S: The route which you are planning will take you through a permanent Delhi Police checkpost (favourite spot of cops for stopping vehicles be it day or night) located just at the entrance of Akshardham Metro Station parking
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PUBLIC-NOTICE_0.PDF (67.7 KB, 122 views)
sierrabravo98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 22:28   #100
BHPian

Quote:
I had a question, being new to the area.
I'll be more concerned while visiting Atta compared to any part of Delhi. UP police may try to pull a fast one on flimsiest of excuses (not for being KA series) seeing an out of station car. Basically, they would say that car has to confiscated for breaking any random/made up rule, or pay some bribe.

In Delhi, the story is the opposite. If you explain the issue to them (KA not issuing HSRP to old cars), they would let you go, most probably. But, they won't let you go if you're not following rules and make minutest of infraction wrt speed, seat belt or not stopping behind the zebra crossing line.

There is an easy fix to your problem btw. Get HSRP styled engraved plates and get them reveted. I did the same after coming to Bangalore when RTO refused to give me HSRP post re-registration of my car.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 06:12   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnyia View Post
I'll be more concerned while visiting Atta compared to any part of Delhi. UP police may try to pull a fast one ...
There is an easy fix to your problem btw. Get HSRP styled engraved plates and get them reveted. I did the same after coming to Bangalore when RTO refused to give me HSRP post re-registration of my car.
Noted, thanks. Is Atta a town in UP? Will try looking it up on GMaps.

I don't want to re-register as yet, as that involves paying a lot of roadtax etc. Atleast not for a few years till I'm sure that I'm going to settle here (else who knows, there's always a chance I may relocate back to KA after a few years).

Is there a way to get a legal HSRP here for my KA regn plate?
Old 9th February 2022, 08:35   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Noted, thanks. Is Atta a town in UP? Will try looking it up on GMaps..

Is there a way to get a legal HSRP here for my KA regn plate?
Atta is 'the' market of Noida. In some senses, chikpet. But not really as Noida is not a very old city. There is absolutely no need for you to re register irrespective of your length of stay. The depreciation is more in NCR and I would suggest you to sell your car back in Bangalore after end of life cycle. The rule wrt out of station vehicles is not in force anywhere in the north.

I don't think KA HSRPs can be done in UP.

If you anyway have the non-HSRP plates, I only suggested to get plates with similar fonts and style as HSRP so that your car doesn't stand out and gets stopped merely for this. People currently in NCR can suggest if doing this is going to be an issue.

For me, reregistration was mandatory in Bangalore and paid by the company. I asked for the HSRP to the agent and RTO official, but KA doesn't issue them in these cases. So, I went for HSRP styled plates.
atnyia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 18:33   #103
Senior - BHPian

True, get HSRP looalike number plates. Should be available at every other car number plate guy available at several places.

The target hunting in Delhi is to single out non HSRP number plates car. Then try n find out more offences and club them.

As mentioned by Atnyia, you can drive KA car as long as you want. Provided it's less than 15 years for petrol and 10 years for diesel cars. Outside state cars are allowed to run in Delhi legally.
tanwaramit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2022, 23:07   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
Nope. Delhi Police does not have the power to challan out of state cars for HSRP violation.
Incorrect information, Delhi police can challan any vehicle not having a HSRP on it irrespective of the fact that it is registered outside of delhi.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2022, 07:08   #105
BHPian

This is inaccurate and the notification in the end doesn’t limit it to vehicles registered at Delhi.

The current trend in Traffic police is to catch 1. Out of state non-hsrp Cars. I see a lot of UP/HR being stopped around south delhi without HSRP 2. Drivers using their mobile phone/seat belt.

All major roads in New Delhi/South Delhi are littered with teams stopping or chasing non-HSRP Cars(not motorcycles).

For the OP I would suggest to stay away from Delhi till you can get HSRP installed, instead you can park at Botanical Garden metro station(sector-37) and use the metro.

Driving out of state cars will never be a problem in Delhi. We have cars from Andaman Nicobar and Ladhakh registration being driven around daily. Lots of government officials, CAPF and armed forces officers/personnel drive around in out of state cars. Even the traffic police bosses may also have out of state personal vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrabravo98 View Post
Nope.

P.S: The route which you are planning will take you through a permanent Delhi Police checkpost (favourite spot of cops for stopping vehicles be it day or night) located just at the entrance of Akshardham Metro Station parking

Last edited by setuniket : 17th February 2022 at 07:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks