Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2011, 23:03   #151
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: How to react when you find a TBHP stickered car driving dangerously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
But I was there
Actually you have raised a very important question: What is the value of other people's life and respect on our roads?

This is what I really intended to point out. Whether it was a BHPian or not is happenstance. Even if anyone says that I will not do such a thing, if we really ask deep within ourselves, do we really follow?

Quote:
It is, when you have not already started crossing. Or isn't it?

Also, if I try to start crossing on Amber, some impatient soul wanting to turn right would mow me down.
I agree. In India amber is a joke. Some signals have it, many doesnt. In many cases, one side's amber means the other side license to start. IMO, amber is supposed to be caution. In an ideal world, getting amber means a decision point, not an indecision point. However in India, people have found a remarkable inner meaning of this decision: I take other people's amber to make my decision.

Last edited by dot : 26th August 2011 at 23:05.
Old 26th August 2011, 23:12   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree. In India amber is a joke. Some signals have it, many doesnt. In many cases, one side's amber means the other side license to start. IMO, amber is supposed to be caution. In an ideal world, getting amber means a decision point, not an indecision point. However in India, people have found a remarkable inner meaning of this decision: I take other people's amber to make my decision.
Why do we always start pointing out our country for any misdoings by some moron, if it wasn't "India", would we even be having this discussion? So from "Why Bangalore " to the whole country in general, gentlemen, let us discuss what happened and what needs to be done to reduce such happenings rather than comparing our country to "ideal worlds".
Old 26th August 2011, 23:58   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Why do we always start pointing out our country for any misdoings by some moron, if it wasn't "India", would we even be having this discussion? So from "Why Bangalore " to the whole country in general, gentlemen, let us discuss what happened and what needs to be done to reduce such happenings rather than comparing our country to "ideal worlds".
IMHO the only thing that can be done - stop the stickering bit. People will drive the way they want to - sticker or no sticker, member or non-member. Why have stickers and get the forum's face dragged in mud?

Also it is appalling to note that some members seem to be more concerned about non-members sporting stickers, than a fellow BHPian's safety on the road. What is the world coming to ?

Rajan
Old 27th August 2011, 01:38   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMHO the only thing that can be done - stop the stickering bit. People will drive the way they want to - sticker or no sticker, member or non-member. Why have stickers and get the forum's face dragged in mud?

Also it is appalling to note that some members seem to be more concerned about non-members sporting stickers, than a fellow BHPian's safety on the road. What is the world coming to ?

Rajan
Its because the thread reads - 'tbhp stickered cars'. Joining tbhp, discussing cars and having the enthusiasm to get/apply the stickers on the car portrays a fascination for cars and safety in general. Non members may not have that, and just procure stickers to show off the lingo.

If the OP would have stated a general vehicle on road - these comments about stickering and non members would not have been necessary.
Old 27th August 2011, 02:47   #155
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When I discussed this incident with a friend of mine, also a member here, he mentioned that there were a lot of cars out there with the forum sticker, but owned by non-members.
I met a Wagon R owner sporting a LTD sticker, who was not a member of the forum. Also the other day saw a red Octavia with Got BHP? sticker. The owner said he wasn't a member and he got the sticker through a friend. This is something ridiculous.
Old 27th August 2011, 04:55   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
I have seen a couple of TBHP stickered cars in Mumbai driven quite recklessly and dangerously only not being able to record in snaps or put it down which included some Swift, Innova etc.
So lets see where this will get to, i am sure i make mistakes, and if such a thread is created i am sure one day my car picture will be posted there by some one without understanding the situation.

The mistakes i make aren't serious ones but mistakes nevertheless. Like forcefully merging into traffic to take a U turn from ICICI Bank service lane to the main road in Bellandur, overtaking folks in a jiffy if i see them driving slow on Harlur road and folks don't like that one bit, but i cant help for others 2-3 mins may not be important but for me it is.
Old 27th August 2011, 07:51   #157
Senior - BHPian

No one is a saint, Indian roads and traffic conditions can do strange things to your psyche; it's the pent up frustrations coming to the fore. We don't paid in green backs for the extra minutes by doing such stunts on the road but, well, we all do it once in a way. No justification ever for such actions.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 27th August 2011 at 08:02.
Old 27th August 2011, 08:06   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the driver also flipped me the finger.
I have seen this gesture before and in all honesty i just hate when someone does that to anyone. It shows what kind of family culture that individual comes from. I am using such harsh words as sometime back the middle finger was shown to me by a guy in grey swift, my fault was i was merging into the narrow lane and cut him off at Agra junction and he got offended (I was anyway ahead of him and he was sneaking in from left).

The impact of this gesture is more important as i was with family (Wife and Daughter) my daughter after seeing this kept asking me what it meant. So anyone using such a gesture to vent out frustration should understand what example we are setting for our kids. Quiet frustrating and i can only blame his home environment and this imported culture (adapted by some folks, without checking right/wrong/ethics) to some extent which thinks its alright and fine to show this gesture in public.
Old 27th August 2011, 08:30   #159
BHPian

1. I have crossed 1 person who has TBHP Sticker on his Swift but not a member. I had a talk with this guy and found that he is trying hard to get a membership and have all his travelogues ready to upload.

2. Last time when I was getting my Car serviced, the garage owner told me that there is a Ritz in washing area with same sticker as mine. Checked it and found the stickers to be locally made. I had a talk with the person and found that he is fond of the TBHP site and it is an encyclopedia so he put it on along with Viper Sticker.

TBHP Stickers with most of the non-members is either that they couldnt get thru the strict scrutinizing process or else with the popularity (considering it as an accessory to decorate their drives just like any other after market stickers)

Solution: TBHP members can have their respective handles done on their rear glass (top-right) with a standard color and font.

1. This will help to identify the member (specially when one catches in heavy traffic and members try to get parallel to each other sharing their handles).
2. This will again help to identify member/non-member in such type of incidents.
Old 27th August 2011, 08:34   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Its because the thread reads - 'tbhp stickered cars'. Joining tbhp, discussing cars and having the enthusiasm to get/apply the stickers on the car portrays a fascination for cars and safety in general. Non members may not have that, and just procure stickers to show off the lingo.

If the OP would have stated a general vehicle on road - these comments about stickering and non members would not have been necessary.
I actually wanted to title the thread - "How to react when you find a THBPian driving dangerously", but changed it, when I was told that not all cars with stickers are owned by members. Honestly, I did not realize that non-members sport stickers.

Having said that, even if one member had posted - "Glad you got home safely", that certainly would have made me feel that we care about each other. Not directed at anyone, just my opinion.

Rajan
Old 27th August 2011, 08:46   #161
Mik
BHPian

I have seen the same situation in NCR. Somehow, team-bhp stickers attract more attention and then you do target fixate on that and tend to notice even the minor violations that car might be doing.
Same problem exists with xbhp of which i am a member. Since anyone can buy the sticker i have seen lidless bikers snaking through traffic sporting the xbhp sticker.
Ultimately, this is a hit on a sites credibility. The uninitiated might just take the site to be some sort of junkie racing club. Some regulation is definitely needed.
Maybe limit the number of stickers a member can procure.
Another option: Don't know if this is feasible. Just a random idea. Increase the sticker cost a bit more and then write in the members handle on the sticker (a neatly done permanent marker thing will suffice) before shipping it across.
Old 27th August 2011, 08:52   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
Solution: TBHP members can have their respective handles done on their rear glass (top-right) with a standard color and font.
What if you see a bling Swift, with GTO etched at the rear glass driving as if his pants are on fire?

Members have to restraint themselves and not hand out stickers to non-members or not put it up in their own Car driven by a chauffeur.
Old 27th August 2011, 09:02   #163
BHPian

To me it is akin to someone sporting a badge "I support LOKPAL bill" and still paying / accepting bribes. The stickers should maybe made plain and simple, rather than flashy as it now is. That would definitely not attract non-members.

But the point is, the silver honda in question, might have been driven by a BHPian. There is no way to find out

Rajan
Old 27th August 2011, 12:13   #164
Senior - BHPian

I can completely understand what you have written here am also witness to a few errant drivers, who had teambhp stickers. Now, I do not expect teambhp drivers to be Saints, but at times if someone does something offensive, and if I spot a bhp sticker, it becomes easier to possibly identify the person on this forum.

Now, I have a different question. Does Teambhp conduct a cleansing, spiritual, yoga or whatsoever session to make its members saints / mother teresa or the likes when it comes to driving. NO. Just because a person is part of teambhp, does not mean he is going to change his driving style. This all depends on ones self discipline, culture and class. Period.

Etching / pasting handles on the glass, creating a thread are all a waste of time. And I am sure that thread will probably take away a great deal of server space, since almost everyones pics will make it there sometime or the other. Then again, how do you validate what someone is saying is true. I can just post a pic of someone and say he was driving like a maniac. And everyone here on the forum will join me in the sermon and lambast him without knowing anything. And if you are following an errant driver, how do you take a pic? Follow him till he stops somewhere, or take it while you are also driving? Again encouraging the wrong thing.

Leave this issue as it is. Pray that our country changes, atleast in about 200 years, so people learn to drive more civilized

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 27th August 2011 at 12:19.
Old 27th August 2011, 13:00   #165
BHPian

I think some of us are living in the mistaken impression that all t-bhp members are a mature lot. I know this sounds very harsh but look around people! A forum of more than 67000 members is bound to have at least a few immature drivers.

There are so many threads on this forum which are just glorified chest thumping contests where folks are only interested in bragging as to who can drive faster, who has a bigger car and what not instead of exchanging information/views. So don't be shocked when the same guy who brags about how he drove his Honda at 165km/h decides to jump traffic lights, endanger the lives of others and generally drive like a moron :|
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks