Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2009, 11:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

In this forum, where there are thousands of members, you can't expect every one of them to have good driving habits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Ok time has come to point fingers, who all own a white/silver RS here
Certainly, no one has a white rs here.. and only a few (maybe 3-4) have a silver one

Last edited by karthik247 : 25th April 2009 at 11:33.
Old 25th April 2009, 12:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
as u said he was going around 70.which should be below the speed limit.
The speed limit on western express Highway is 60 KMPH.

I am sure almost everyone here breaks the law in some or other way everyday. The question to ask ourself is after using the TEAM-BHP sticker, how many of us follow Lane Dicipline, show indicators while changing lanes, do not use full beam in city, follow the speed limits, etc. If not how can we say that we are safe drivers? Should we all then remove the stickers?
Old 25th April 2009, 15:35   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthik247 View Post
Certainly, no one has a white rs here.. and only a few (maybe 3-4) have a silver one
Hmm, and who all live in Mumbai around that area?
Old 27th April 2009, 11:22   #34
BHPian

even if this supposed team-bhp member is on the forum, I am sure he/she will note dare to respond here and justify their behavior. Then again, maybe there was some urgent reason like an injured relative or pregnant wife he wanted to get to, just a thought :-)
Drive safe everyone - we represent a community which promotes road discipline!
Old 27th April 2009, 11:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Maybe not you - but I personally find people driving at 60-70 kph on the rightmost of the FOUR lane Delhi Gurgaon expressway a nuisance. Irrespective of the laws of the land, they need to understand its a lane for overtaking which can and does happen at triple digit speeds. Its best for themselves as well as others that they stick to other lanes.

If I am coming from behind at triple digits, I will cut/weave as necessary. I will definitely be more civilized on smaller roads/busier roads. But if there's a fellow plodding away at 75 in the right lane, and only some space to its left, then he's going to get overtaken at 100+ from the left, nothing I can do about it.
I agree with this school of thought - if you're not sticking to your lane or watching your rear view, others have to weave their way around. I do so myself because of the haphazard manner in which people drive on our roads. I personally believe that the old 2-lane system is sometimes better - at least you KNOW which side the traffic will be on.

Bangalore / Karnataka is probably the worst at lane discipline where everyone hogs the right lane, especially slow-moving truckers. You're EXPECTED to overtake from the left - what do you do then when you have some slow law-abiding citizen driving sedately on that lane? You weave.

In a country where everyone drives as he or she pleases following no standard rule, it is very difficult to find fault with someone who drives fast haphazardly - WHERE is the opportunity for a person to drive fast consistently (in an emergency, for eg) in a steady, straight line?

At the end of the day, he may have been a really bad or arrogant driver, or he may simply have been in a hurry. We will never know.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:01   #36
Team-BHP Support

Fully agree with PM and steer.
I frequently drive on NH1(Speed limit 90kmph), and there are so many cars who do 70-80kmph on the righmost lane even when left lane has no traffic.
Some of these guys drive in a way that they are few meters behind a bus doing the same speed in left lane.
So you have to overtake from left, and cut them off.
Surprisingly, so called rogue trucks are much better behaved and you find them often in the left lane.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I agree with this school of thought - if you're not sticking to your lane or watching your rear view, others have to weave their way around. I do so myself because of the haphazard manner in which people drive on our roads. I personally believe that the old 2-lane system is sometimes better - at least you KNOW which side the traffic will be on.

Bangalore / Karnataka is probably the worst at lane discipline where everyone hogs the right lane, especially slow-moving truckers. You're EXPECTED to overtake from the left - what do you do then when you have some slow law-abiding citizen driving sedately on that lane? You weave.

In a country where everyone drives as he or she pleases following no standard rule, it is very difficult to find fault with someone who drives fast haphazardly - WHERE is the opportunity for a person to drive fast consistently (in an emergency, for eg) in a steady, straight line?
I see this often on the Inner Ring Road - people driving at 50-70kmph on the rightmost lane (especially after the stupid u-turn in between - on way from domlur to kormangla). Irritating and makes me overtake from the left after loads of honking and flashing lights to no avail.

Quote:
At the end of the day, he may have been a really bad or arrogant driver, or he may simply have been in a hurry. We will never know.
Thats a good point. I am not sure, why this person did it, we may never know, we can only hope it was an emergency and not regular behaviour. In an emergency, faced with a blocked set of overtaking lanes, things can happen. However if this is normal for this person and if he/she is reading this thread, hopefully they will improve

Last edited by jassi : 27th April 2009 at 12:10.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:40   #38
BHPian

I sort of agree with most above, but whilst i dont condemn the overtaking from the left, its actually the manner in which its done thats the problem. The key point is - Dont put someone else's life at risk. The other thing is this honking and flashing of lights, i agree there is a possiblity that this Skoda driver may have been in a hurry because of some emergency, but the fact is theres millions more on the road that arent in a hurry and still drive like this. There's really no need for it.

I think, we need stricter driving tests, whist its not a solution, it will still help to educate people on the rules and driving ethics.
Old 27th April 2009, 12:45   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samir Taheer View Post
I think, we need stricter driving tests, whist its not a solution, it will still help to educate people on the rules and driving ethics.
perhaps a written test - like they have in other countries. Also I think there needs to be a lot more than making an '8' on an empty ground to get a license
Old 27th April 2009, 17:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
However, at the end of it all, I sincerely feel that maybe he had an emergency. The signals were clear, He honked, he flashed his lights, He did not directly cut in without doing the same. So what if it was an emergency???

For one if I were in an emergency, Sticker or not would have done the same, given ample warning audio (horn), Visual (flashing) and expect the other driver to yield realising it could be/is an emergency.
The rest I feel is ego leading to road rash and blame.
This reminds me of something I read in a book(seven habits of highly effective people)

Two battleships assigned to the training squadron had been at sea on maneuvers in heavy weather for several days. The visibility is poor with patchy fog, so the captain remained on the bridge keeping an eye on all activities.

Shortly after dark, the lookout on the wing of the bridge reported, "Light, bearing on the starboard bow."
"Is it steady or moving astern?" the captain called out.
Lookout replied, "Steady, captain," which meant the ship was on a dangerous collision course with that ship.

The captain then called to the signal man, "Signal that ship: We are on a collision course, advise you change course 20 degrees."
Back came a signal, "Advisable for you to change course 20 degrees."
The captain said, "Send, I'm a captain, change course 20 degrees."
"I'm a seaman second class," came the reply. "You had better change course 20 degrees."
By that time, the captain was furious. He spat out, "Send, I'm a battleship. Change course 20 degrees."
Back came the flashing light, "I'm a lighthouse."

Suren's statements just reminded me that story.

Raj.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 27th April 2009 at 17:40.
Old 27th April 2009, 18:06   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
While we all can say what the Skoda driver did is wrong, and give him the benefit of doubt as GTO said that the car might been be driven by Team-BHPian's driver/ employee/ friend/ cousin/ girlfriend, etc., but the danger in this is the long term impact such acts will have on brand Team-BHP. Acts like this will cause brand dilution and would put us in a fix. Hence, we need to ensure that we are careful with potraying our brand name and also ensureing that there is no damage to brand recall and it's pride.
since when did team bhp become a brand?
Old 27th April 2009, 18:08   #42
Senior - BHPian

Best not to have stickers on the car then. If you cant abide by it then dont have it.

P.s. Yes last I checked it was a forum
Old 27th April 2009, 18:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
who all own a white/silver RS here
I own a silver vRS . But I do not drive on the Western Express highway specially Andheri side - cannot tolerate the traffic there.
Old 27th April 2009, 18:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Bangalore / Karnataka is probably the worst at lane discipline where everyone hogs the right lane, especially slow-moving truckers.
Partly because everyone from ricks to busses to cabbies
stop on the left for customers. Sometimes even educated people do this, but with parking lights on.
If an unsuspecting driver gets stuck behind a vehicle who just made a stop to the left of the road near the footpath, you will see the driver make a complete right and be perpendicular to the road for sometime. This happens regularly with sedans and ricks near Christ College.
Old 27th April 2009, 18:43   #45
Senior - BHPian

Whoever it was, if he (or she, cannot exclude lady drivers here !) had a legitimate excuse in driving the way he (or she) was, I'm sure he (or she) would have stood up here on the forum and explained why he (or she) drove as he (or she) did. It is more than likely that the person driving the car was'nt the owner of the car with the sticker, maybe a driver, friend, family member etc. Or else, actual owner of the car has got the sticker from a Tbhp friend or relative.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks