Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2009, 04:33   #91
BHPian

That is so beautiful. Unfortunately no pedestrians allowed as I read in the newspaper. Would love to take a long walk through that.
Old 14th July 2009, 17:45   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
wished you had said this a bit earlier amit. i had again gone there in my innova, i could have taken the video. anyways, have taken some pics again-
No Probs Raj, I can wait. Look forward to the video , nice pics, esp the first one (from Innova)
Old 14th July 2009, 17:57   #93
BHPian

It's an awesome achievement. Heard there are lot of traffic jam at the toll booths during peak hours. They can provide some smart card kind of system for daily commuters.
Old 14th July 2009, 18:32   #94
BHPian

Came back from worli using the sea link. Took 3min 35 sec to cross but 4 min 46 sec to wait in line and pay the toll!
Old 14th July 2009, 19:02   #95
BHPian

Mods please delete this post if not appropiate. Posted this new ad from Amul thinking it may get along in this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Bandra Worli Sea Link is finally ready to ferry vehicles-amul.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 15th July 2009 at 15:48.
Old 14th July 2009, 21:04   #96
Senior - BHPian

Looks pretty spectacular from the pics.

But I cant help but wonder if it would have been much cheaper to build a elevated "land link' from Bandra to Worli rather than a "Sea-Link". In other words a super long fly-over that goes over the land and maybe along the coast.
Old 15th July 2009, 10:21   #97
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Mods please delete this post if not appropiate. Posted this new ad from Amul thinking it may get along in this post.
Really got to hand it to Amul for being on top of all current affairs in their ads. Brilliant! Thanks for the morning laugh.
Old 17th July 2009, 21:29   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariharanea View Post
It's an awesome achievement. Heard there are lot of traffic jam at the toll booths during peak hours. They can provide some smart card kind of system for daily commuters.
How about Electronic Toll Collection(ETC)

Watch this:

Old 21st July 2009, 10:19   #99
Senior - BHPian

Worli Sea link or Sea De - link

at the expense of sounding like a pessimist, negative, critic i post my views on the link.
  1. i personally think tolls should not be there at all. Roads are basic necessities of a person, and taxing them is crime, specially after you pay road tax.
  2. what were these guys thinking when they made a 2 lane (each to and fro) design, this is like plugging a gap right now but no planning for the future
  3. the basic design is flawed, NO link in the world ends at a right angle, there are traffic snarls at the worli end, it just defeats the purpose of being on the link i.e to reach faster.
  4. the time and the cost taken to built this was truly exhorbitant, and much much better could have been done.
I dont find anything awesome in this sea link, what is awesome acc to me is the Delhi metro, which came up in NO time, provides excellent service is cost effective, and is 100 % safe (excluding the pillars colapsing lately). The calcutta metro has been operating for such a long time, why did mumbai take SO long to discover that they needed a sea link. If anything i see this as a step backwards than a LEAP.

cheers,
ac
Old 21st July 2009, 11:07   #100
BHPian

@URJA , That is why they say it takes 7-8 minutes to cross the bridge.

That being said , it is truly a great bridge especially to be built in India.
Old 21st July 2009, 23:09   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
at the expense of sounding like a pessimist, negative, critic i post my views on the link.
  1. i personally think tolls should not be there at all. Roads are basic necessities of a person, and taxing them is crime, specially after you pay road tax.
  2. what were these guys thinking when they made a 2 lane (each to and fro) design, this is like plugging a gap right now but no planning for the future
  3. the basic design is flawed, NO link in the world ends at a right angle, there are traffic snarls at the worli end, it just defeats the purpose of being on the link i.e to reach faster.
  4. the time and the cost taken to built this was truly exhorbitant, and much much better could have been done.
I dont find anything awesome in this sea link, what is awesome acc to me is the Delhi metro, which came up in NO time, provides excellent service is cost effective, and is 100 % safe (excluding the pillars colapsing lately). The calcutta metro has been operating for such a long time, why did mumbai take SO long to discover that they needed a sea link. If anything i see this as a step backwards than a LEAP.

cheers,
ac
- Tolls are worth it. Proven all over the rest of the world. Half the people in this country don't pay tax. But I would pay $50 more so I can reach the other side fast. Thats a $1, which is cheaper than any other toll for this distance in the world.
-True, it should have been wider.
-I agree, freakin 19 years.
-I cant wait to see, the first drunken drive fly off that bridge into the water. Saw a facebook video of an idiot driving his lexus at 170 kmph at 3 am on this bridge.
Old 22nd July 2009, 17:29   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- i personally think tolls should not be there at all. Roads are basic necessities of a person, and taxing them is crime, specially after you pay road tax.
I agree in theory, but this is a fairly expensive project - so why should everyone (in the state etc) bear the cost of it? -- I guess this debate could be a long one. Though ideally, i agree with you.

Quote:
- what were these guys thinking when they made a 2 lane (each to and fro) design, this is like plugging a gap right now but no planning for the future
As mentioned in this thread, its currently 2 lanes each way, they are stilllllllllll building the other roadway parallel to this one (can be seen in some photos here) so eventually it will be 4 + 4 lanes.

Quote:
- the basic design is flawed, NO link in the world ends at a right angle, there are traffic snarls at the worli end, it just defeats the purpose of being on the link i.e to reach faster.
Well, politics raises its ugly head once again. If you look at satellite pictures (attached below) you can clealy see how the sea link was originally supposed to come smoothly onto worli sea-face through the worli fort area in a southward direction. However, due to some "oldest inhabitants in bombay" (possibly read as : vote bank) this was changed and the current stupid right angle configuration was adopted. Oh, and this also added a couple of hundred extra crores to the cost of the project.

Bandra Worli Sea Link is finally ready to ferry vehicles-23413615cy4.jpg

Check it out the way its shown on google maps(roads) as well : bandra sea link map - Google Maps

Quote:
- the time and the cost taken to built this was truly exhorbitant, and much much better could have been done.
As with almost everything else in India...unfortunately. Too much corruption, too many complications, to many vested interests etc.

Quote:
- what is awesome acc to me is the Delhi metro...... .....is 100 % safe (excluding the pillars colapsing lately)....
Thats quite a self-contradicting statement you have there
5+(?) people died during the construction itself, the pillars couldn't take the static load, forget about the dynamic load of having a train zipping by on them..... surely some corners have been cut due to the short construction time and the cost-effectiveness.

Don't get me wrong, im not saying that work can't be done in a cost-effective and fast way in India, but usually (and unfortunately) other areas suffer when such expectations are placed.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd July 2009 at 17:30.
Old 24th July 2009, 15:19   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpaw View Post
- Tolls are worth it. Proven all over the rest of the world. Half the people in this country don't pay tax. But I would pay $50 more so I can reach the other side fast. Thats a $1, which is cheaper than any other toll for this distance in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I agree in theory, but this is a fairly expensive project - so why should everyone (in the state etc) bear the cost of it? -- I guess this debate could be a long one. Though ideally, i agree with you.
My biggest problem with TOLL is . . .the whole concept of tolls is flawed according to me.

I see it as followis: as time passes by, the toll collection by around 10 - 15 - 20 years covers the cost of the bridge / road, post which it should be reduced or dropped, but never has it happend that the toll of a road / by-pass or a bridge has reduced. Why ?

Toll even if collected should be reduced pro - rata with the time and after few years the same should be dropped.

Also why cant there be other sources of Income, I can tell you that advertisers would be dying to be on the sealink, make money from there....

And as R you yourself said, why build a sealink when a huge flyover from Bandra to Worli could have been built...

cheers,
ac
Old 25th July 2009, 11:43   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Went on the sealink. It is simplyt amazing! My travel time of 2.5 hours reduced to 1.5 hours in peak traffic!
BTW, the sealink had its second major accident yesterday. It was the Sealink's first major accident with 2 people injured, and 3 cars involved.

Last edited by lamborghini : 25th July 2009 at 11:46.
Old 25th July 2009, 12:16   #105
Senior - BHPian

Any idea about the crash on the sea-link ? Saw it on the news - pretty badly damaged cars - a Swift and a NHC.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks