Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:08   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advice - Car met with Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Please insist on tinkering. If properly done you will get really good finish. I've seen much bad cases being redone to perfection.
I agree. A good job was done on my car's door at MSM, though the original damage too was less than the one on vtec's car. Cost was ~ Rs 8000, fully met by Maruti insurance.

See here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1619002
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:14   #317
Senior - BHPian

This is the game played by most of the authorised service centers. Those doors are fully redeemable through tinkering. Sai colorium here had shown me a Polo with heavy door damage even with a big hole fully restored. We tend to underestimate the capability and workmanship of dedicated body repair shops. They (the right guys) can magically restore almost all kinds of damages. So it is better to get an opinion from such shops particularly if the car is old enough not to cough up huge sums.
For my running board damage the SC had advised to replace the entire part costing 18.5k. The quote for the entire work was around 25K. Sai Colorium did the repair for 1.8K.

Last edited by poloman : 2nd August 2013 at 11:17.
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:59   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Please insist on tinkering. If properly done you will get really good finish. I've seen much bad cases being redone to perfection.
I have asked them a number of times, but MASS will not do a tinkering, i am sure of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Sai colorium here had shown me a Polo with heavy door damage even with a big hole fully restored.
I do not think there is a shop in Chennai in the likes of Sai Colorium. I have asked bhp'ians from CHN, the best option given was Bosch Valdapani and they quoted 32K and Mr. Ananthraman personally checked the damage and said tinkering is not possible on the doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I think one is willing to tinker the rear qtr panel while the other wants to entirely replace it. Doors have to be replaced though.
All the quotes that i have mentioned in my previous post are for replacing both the doors and tinkering the rear panel. Nobody mentioned changing the rear panel.
Old 3rd August 2013, 11:21   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

Last night, I was the victim of being at a wrong place at a wrong time. I was travelling in my car with my wife at about 8 in the evening, thankfully in my car, else, if I had been on my bike, I may not have been writing this post!

What happened is that I was moving at around 40KMPH on a road with sparse traffic and this D'zire approaching me hits the big yellow metal barricades that the traffic police use to divide/ block roads. The impact was so strong that the whole barricade came hurling to my car and hit the driver side door and fender.

Thankfully, neither the wind-shield, not the window glass broke else, there could have been injuries. The impact was pretty strong and the sound of the bang was scary. We walked out safely but the car was damaged. The impact was such that the door speakers was lying on the foot well of the car! When I accessed the damages, I had to say that the car took it well. Apart from that big bang, we could not feel anything inside. Also the door & fender was not as much damaged as I expected, but still the damage is substantial. The door was jammed and I had to force it open.

I met the other guy driving that D'zire, a man in his 40s with his wife. His right fender, headlight & fog lamps were gone.

Anyway, we inspected the damage on my car and he has assured me to pay the balance amount after the insurance claim. Though, I am not sure if he will really pay...all I have is his phone no. I took some pictures on the spot, but my cellphone camera is crappy.

I am thinking to get it done by MASS, as the door might need replacement. Also, please suggest how do I tackle the compensation part from this guy and make him pay up the balance amount?

Thanks,
Saket
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-02082013.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-02082013001.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-02082013002.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-02082013003.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-02082013005.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-02082013004.jpg  

Old 3rd August 2013, 12:31   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry, my edit time expired, hence a new post.

Please can anyone let me know the price of a new door (driver side) for the old Zen?

Thanks,
Saket
Old 5th August 2013, 10:27   #321
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: The car was given to MASS for repair yesterday. First they toyed around the idea of replacing the door, but then they themselves said that the damage can be repaired. Since the damage involves the fender & door plus the painting, I have claimed the insurance.

I think I will not have to pay more than the compulsory deductibles of the policy access fee, and except for the cost of side indicator (50%) which should not be substantial. The car should be ready by 8th.

PS: Since, I left my car with them, I was dropped to my house by their service car from the workshop; some 15 Kms.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:06   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
What happened is that I was moving at around 40KMPH on a road with sparse traffic and this D'zire approaching me hits the big yellow metal barricades that the traffic police use to divide/ block roads. The impact was so strong that the whole barricade came hurling to my car and hit the driver side door and fender.
As if all the dangers on our roads were not enough police comes up with ideas to spice it up. In Bangalore also they have kept these on many roads, unless you are aware of the location it may be very difficult to spot these especially in headlight glare of vehicles from opposite side.
Regarding price, I read in another thread that cost of swift door was quoted as 8k, so zen's price may be similar or lesser I guess.
Old 5th August 2013, 11:20   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
As if all the dangers on our roads were not enough police comes up with ideas to spice it up. In Bangalore also they have kept these on many roads, unless you are aware of the location it may be very difficult to spot these especially in headlight glare of vehicles from opposite side.
Regarding price, I read in another thread that cost of swift door was quoted as 8k, so zen's price may be similar or lesser I guess.
And you know what, even those barricades were kept across the road and not along it. Since it was close to the High court, the police was already there as you can see in the pictures.

Although, the glares might make it difficult at night, but still I am not convinced that the bloke couldnot see the barricades at all. Even if the glares were too much, he should have slowed down, but seems he did not, and the impact was so strong that the heavy all metal barricade almost came flying towards us. With the sound it made, I thought the damage would have been much more, but thankfully, it was less than what I expected.

Also, thankfully, neither the windshield, not the window glass shattered, else it could have resulted in injuries. I judder to think what could have happened if I, or anyone else was on a bike.

About the cost of the door, a 3 year old post suggests it to be around Rs. 7300/-; hence, your estimate of 8K looks practical. Since, MASS has assured that the old door can be repaired without a sign of the damage, I did not indulge into asking the price of a new door.

Thanks,
Saket
Old 5th August 2013, 17:52   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have claimed the insurance.
Quote:

Anyway, we inspected the damage on my car and he has assured me to pay the balance amount after the insurance claim. Though, I am not sure if he will really pay...all I have is his phone no.

Also, please suggest how do I tackle the compensation part from this guy and make him pay up the balance amount?
Dear Saket:
It may be a moot point now...because you agreed to pay from your own insurance - but this clearly appears to be damage caused by the D'zire driver.
Hence the proper procedure would be for asking the Dzire driver to pay the whole amount (whether he pays out of pocket or in turn asks help from his own insurance company is his problem).
Under MVA, you need to get an FIR registered, and on its basis issue a legal notice to him, and his insurer for the claim (third party damages)
Basically this way you avoid the NCB on your own policy - however small the amount.
But I guess nowadays no one wants to follow the process, because, one's own car may be garaged in the local P.S. for all one's pains.

It is really unfair, the way things are allowed to happen in India. Worst of all the big Insurance companies make a fast buck out of all the mandatory 3rd party insurance premiums , but payouts are few and far between. And they go away scot free, because we don't bother to report such incidents, due to the excessive bureaucracy of the police in such matters.

In the US , drivers exchange insurance details (preferred in the presence of a cop, who makes out a report). And at the back-end the insurance companies settle the claim amount.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 18:00   #325
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Joy for the 'to the point' post.

Yes, claiming the 3rd party was an option that I was aware of, but was unwilling to go through the painful process. As you can see in the pictures that police was present, they 'unofficially' suggested both the parties not to file an FIR and settle the matter amicably. Even I thought it was more sensible.

I think, I will wait for the job to be finished, pay the final bill which accrues on me and then contact the D'zire owner and present him the bill to see if he pays. The amount should not be too high, but still I will try to make him pay up whatever 1-1.5K I incur.

Regards,
Saket
Old 9th August 2013, 10:59   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: The car is back from the job. Neither the door, nor the fender was replaced. All were hammered back to shape and I am totally satisfied by the job. The new paint has also mated well with the old oxidised paint. The side indicator was replaced as the original one was broken.

Total bill was about 6K. Since, I had claimed my insurance, I had to pay only the claim charge/ policy access (1K) and 50% cost of the side indicator and some small consumables like glues, etc.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 16:18   #327
BHPian

Good to know that both of you are safe. 6k seems reasonable for the repairs. If you need any sort of legal advice regarding the Dzire guy, feel free to call/PM me. My father might be able to help you. He is a lawyer by profession. And if possible please post some pics after the repairs.
Regards
shreyan_k10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2013, 17:47   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyan_k10 View Post
Good to know that both of you are safe. 6k seems reasonable for the repairs. If you need any sort of legal advice regarding the Dzire guy, feel free to call/PM me. My father might be able to help you. He is a lawyer by profession. And if possible please post some pics after the repairs.
Regards
Thanks Shreyan for the legal advice proposition. Although the amount was meagre, but I conveyed him what I spent for the repair to check if he keeps his word. I think he was more than happy to know that the damage was so less. He paid up immediately.
Yes, 6K looked reasonable to me too. I ended up paying just 1.1K as the rest of the amount was paid by the insurer. Will post the pictures. Hardly looks if anything was repaired! Its as good as it was before. These body repair guys are just excellent.

Regards,
Saket

Last edited by saket77 : 13th August 2013 at 17:53.
Old 14th August 2013, 15:28   #329
BHPian

I received my car from ABT ECR today. It was raining quite heavily during that time (unfortunately). I wanted to take delivery when it is not raining or preferably sunny but that is what the Almighty didnt want. They seem to have done a okay job on the doors (maybe because they were replaced), but the raer panel was not proper. I mean the tinkering is not very smooth. The car was drenched in rain water, so couldn't take snaps or judge the actual quality. Only time will tell the quality of work done (whether it fades and the shine goes off). I will take snaps when it stops raining and post.

Total Damage INR 34,2xx/- Now have to wait and see how much Insurance reimburses.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 14th August 2013 at 15:29.
Old 2nd October 2013, 23:56   #330
BHPian

Tucson rear-ended : Bumper damaged

Yesterday at around noon, on my way to office, on the DLF phase-I road leading to the Gurgaon-Faridabad road, i had to slam hard on the brakes because of a moron (No. 1) who decided to take a turn without showing the indicators, I was able to stop at a safe distance from the car in front of me but another moron (No.2) could not and hit My Tucson from behind. It was a white swift with a Gurgaon registration.

The first thing i did was to get down and take a snap of the Swift's registration number. Then this moron came out and started shouting that it was my fault. After 2-3 minutes of argument he started pleading the he has recently got married and got this car in dowry and he only earns 25,000 p.m. and hence cannot afford to pay up for the damages.

After this, on the pretext of taking the car to the side of the road, as we were still on the middle of the road, and to my surprise, he drove away

On checking the details of the car on the Haryana RTO site (https://vahan.hry.nic.in/SRReports/v...jsp/Search.jsp) i found out that he was bluffing when he said that he had got this car in dowry. The car was registered in the name of hero motocorp.

The only thing i thought could be done was to put an online complaint on the Gurgaon police and Gurgaon traffic police pages on facebook with the picture of the moron's car.

Folks, any suggestions on what options do i have now to get this person to pay-up ?

Also, any suggestions on a good bumper repair shop (who does plastic welding) near Dwarka or somewhere in South/West Delhi.

I am aware of KJ Anthony Auto as i had got the Tucson's front bumper tinkered from KJA, but it is a bit far away from my place, its an ordeal waiting there and his charges are not VFM.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-tucson-bumper-damage.jpg  

Last edited by kamal.sn : 3rd October 2013 at 00:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks