Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2023, 22:16   #886

Re: Need advice after Accident

Has anyone ever wondered what would happen if a tyre bursts while you're traveling at 70 to 80 kmph?

Whenever I take my Santro, I worry about this. It is almost 16 years old, and I'm the only one who drives it only once a year when I head back home.

This incident happened when I was returning to Chennai from Trichy. I was just 10 odd km short of Tambaram when the rear right tyre got torn off totally.
But to be surprised, I just felt a thudding sound and there was no case that the car went out of control.
I slowly took my car to the side and was very fortunate to have stopped the car right in front of a puncture shop. They had all the hydraulic equipment, which just took them 10 mins to change the spare tyre.

The tyre burst was not because of the road nor the speed at which I traveled, but it was because of the age of the tyre, almost 8 years old. Since the car was not used regularly, the buttons on the tyre were good, so I thought it was not required to change the tyres. During my last visit, I changed two front tyres and left the back tyres as such. This incident has given me more confidence that the car might not lose control even in case of a tyre burst if driven at moderate speed with tubeless tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-img_20231113_130619.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-img_20231113_130613.jpg  

superleggera13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 07:06   #887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera13 View Post
The tyre burst was not because of the road nor the speed at which I traveled, but it was because of the age of the tyre, almost 8 years old.
My car had run 26K kms in 6 years but I changed tyres even though the tread was perfectly fine. In a car being used sparingly, it's better to change tyres based on age rather than kilometres driven. Glad you had a lucky escape.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2023, 10:42   #888
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera13 View Post
Has anyone ever wondered what would happen if a tyre bursts while you're traveling at 70 to 80 kmph?

Whenever I take my Santro, I worry about this. It is almost 16 years old, and I'm the only one who drives it only once a year when I head back home.
This incident happened when I was returning to Chennai from Trichy. I was just 10 odd km short of Tambaram when the rear right tyre got torn off totally.
The tyre burst was not because of the road nor the speed at which I traveled, but it was because of the age of the tyre, almost 8 years old.
I believe this was a case of tyre burst due to a deflated tyre or an underinflated tyre. Did you check the tyre for any large punctures?

On the other hand, tyre burst consequences depend on a lot of factors, right from the position of the tyre to the type of vehicle and so. If there is a high speed tyre burst, the goal of the driver would be to let go of the accelerator, gradually slow down the car and not make sudden steering movements. If the car starts to drift off your intended course, try correcting by countersteering but this cant be usually done by an untrained driver. Also, dont try to make any evasive maneuvers since that will always go wrong when there is one tyre thats burst.
Old 28th December 2023, 10:01   #889
BHPian

Yesterday, I faced the moment of truth. My close-to-heart 2018 VW Vento DSG - 79000 KM run and in mint condition has met with an accident.

Not even a scratch on us. No airbags deployed. The poor biker who was out of his senses suffered a few stitches on his foot and that's it..

Now, the car is at the Police station, and from the look of it, the bumper, wind shield washer tank, RH headlamp, RH Fender, Bonnet (dents) and RH door (jammed but minor tweaks) would easily make me cough up 2 Lakhs. The car is near Thuraiyur, TN and already spent 5 K for towing to Police station etc. The insurance, being in 5th year, is not bumper to bumper and will not cover the plastics, headlamps, windshield etc. I am from Coimbatore/Chennai and expect to close the Police formalities and RTO ordeal by next two days. After that the towing to VW Trichy and the endless wait to get the car repaired begins, Insurance tantrums etc..

Update: The 2W rider turned out to be a poor, unsupported chap and we arrived at an agreement and the car was released from the Police station.

Now the car is at VW Trichy, and the estimate is expected in a couple days.

So, here is the dilemma. In another 20000 KMs, the car will ask me for a lakh rupees for clutch overhaul (?) and timing chain replacement. This is my hunch.
So, I am looking a 3 L restoration expense for Vento

I have option for lease car in my company, along with tax benefits.

Suggest me if I can sell this off as is, and go for a new lease car from my company. I am depressed as I love this car so much, and very sure that I can not find a similar one with the engine+gearbox+economy+handling+comfort below 60L.

Please help me to clear my dilemma. Thanks folks.

Also, which Diesel car can match Vento's ride, handling and economy now? Breaking my head over now.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-vento.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-vw.jpg  

rangarx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 13:52   #890
Distinguished - BHPian

Very sorry to hear and see this. I do think that you need estimates from the repair and to see what your insurer has to say, before you can decide further. You may yet be back on the road in your beloved VW.

I'm curious to know why your car is at the police station, and how one gets it released. Hoping that I never need that information, but one never knows.

By the way, perhaps its offtopic to the thread, but my nine-year-old Polo has had its timing-belt/pump replaced. Not a cheap service, but I don't recall it being very shocking. It was done by an independent garage. I'm wondering what a clutch overhaul is exactly? I know my clutch pedal is running out of travel...
Old 7th January 2024, 10:23   #891
BHPian

Hi Folks,

I haven't written a post for almost a year, largely due to my new job where the line between work and life has almost disappeared. :(

But coming to the point - yesterday, on the streets of Bangalore, while crossing a signal, a truck driver decided to change his course from right to left and hit my car.

By the grace of God, we are safe, but the car sustained some damage. PFB the pictures.

Need advice after Accident-ef9a52e490aa4d2dacf75f1a7d9e5054.jpg

I have never claimed car insurance in the past and need suggestions on the next steps:

First step: I have informed my insurer, Bajaj Allianz, and am waiting for the surveyor to contact me...

Second step: I am unsure about which garage to go to. I haven't heard of the cashless garages listed by the insurer (Bajaj Allianz) and not too sure about handing the car over to them..

Could you please suggest a reliable car garage for body repair in Bangalore?
Old 14th January 2024, 18:05   #892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arayan5614 View Post
I have never claimed car insurance in the past and need suggestions on the next steps
Good to know there were no injuries and all of you are safe. These things happen and that's why we have insurance.
If you have a comprehensive insurance and zero dep, I'll suggest just take it your authorised service center. There will be a service fees around 2k, rest is taken care.
If not zero dep insurance, check with a local denting painting guys near by instead of going long distances based on recommendations. I'm sure there will be a neighbour in your locality who can refer someone close by. Or go with the nearest recommended cashless workshop

As long as it is body work, most denting painting guy will manage it well. You will anyway need to paint the whole doors here. The authorised service center will recommend to replace the front door for sure.

The Bajaj agent will anyway make a visit and negotiate with the workshop.
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks