Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2020, 20:41   #811
BHPian

Re: Need advice after Accident

Quote:
I keep asking myself if I could have done something to avoid the accident.
Straight forward No. But you have done everything right to reduce the fallout of an accident.

* Your speed wasn't high enough so damage isn't catastrophic.
* Seat belts were on, so zero physical injury.

Shit happens, and this type of accidents are common all over the world. So don't take too much of headache, move on.

Damage to your car is fully repairable. Being white, color matching wouldn't be any issue either.

Yes, you are right on insurance cost increase but that's part of car ownership experience.

Follow up the workshop for flawless repair job, and your car will be back as new in no time.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 21:54   #812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
Being white, color matching wouldn't be any issue either.
You have yet to discover how many shades of "white" there are!

But dealer repair and service will certainly have the right one.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 19th September 2020 at 21:55.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 22:03   #813
BHPian

Hello everyone
Today when my dad was returning from Office, had stopped at a signal. When the signal turned Green, the vehicles started moving slowly and a Concrete mixer had to take right. While going right, that vehicle hit our Santro. My dad was in a mild shock and before he could get down, that vehicle picked up pace and didn't stop. As it was a rush hour, there were many vehicles behind and everyone started honking, so my dad drove the car to the left of the road and stopped to see the impact. See the attached images for the damage caused.
My dad drove to the home straight and called me. I wanted to lodge a complaint with the police, and get the culprits vehicle details as there would be Cameras at the signal. But my dad said as the damage was comparatively less and he doesn't want to go to the police station for this. He says that we can get the car repaired at a local car workshop with our own money. As we have only one car and it's my dads primary source of transportation to this office, we need the car ASAP.
But I wanted to lodge a complaint with the police and get the culprit down, because there was no fault and ours and we had to suffer. Please help me with some suggestions, I don't know what to do
The incident happened In Vizag. Please ignore them poor picture quality, they were shot at 20:30 today.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice after Accident-img_20200922_200046.jpg  

Need advice after Accident-img_20200922_200056.jpg  

Thatautoguy46 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 00:17   #814
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello!

We do get upset if our rides get damaged especially when we are not at fault. But hey, life isn’t always fair. But then it isn’t fair to anyone; so that makes it a little fair. Am I making any freaking sense

Basically, not to worry. If that dent on door and the broken mirror is all the damage then honestly it’s not much. In fact, if that mirror was an electronically controlled one (though it looks like it was manually internally adjustable from the springs), it may cost more than the dent repair. My advice is to first get an approximate quote from workshop of your choice. And then decide if you want to do it from your pocket or claim insurance.

Regards.

Last edited by saket77 : 23rd September 2020 at 00:19.
saket77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 15:19   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Basically, not to worry. If that dent on door and the broken mirror is all the damage then honestly it’s not much. In fact, if that mirror was an electronically controlled one (though it looks like it was manually internally adjustable from the springs), it may cost more than the dent repair. My advice is to first get an approximate quote from workshop of your choice. And then decide if you want to do it from your pocket or claim insurance.
Thanks for the advice , will take the car to the authorized service center to get a quote. My dad was safe, I'm happy

Last edited by Aditya : 26th September 2020 at 04:44. Reason: Quote tags added
Thatautoguy46 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 16:28   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatautoguy46 View Post
Hello everyone

But I wanted to lodge a complaint with the police and get the culprit down, because there was no fault and ours and we had to suffer. Please help me with some suggestions, I don't know what to do please
I would suggest to let it pass. Damages are fairly manageable and there is no injury. There isn't really a need to engage police, these kind of damages are very common and I doubt police will take much interest seeing the extent of damage.

Even if you engage police, the culprit will mostly attract a fine and you are not sure if he has insurance to take care of your repair. Add the hassle in all of this as an extra.

If you aren't hesitant to go to a local mechanic, get it repaired there. It will be cheaper.

If you want to claim insurance(if repair cost is higher), go for it as it doesn't require a police complaint to claim, but remember the car have to be at service center for quite few days to claim and repair.
amods is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 17:20   #817
BHPian

Quote:
If you want to claim insurance(if repair cost is higher), go for it as it doesn't require a police complaint to claim, but remember the car have to be at service center for quite few days to claim and repair.
Yeah, thinking of the same whether to Claim the insurance or not. Should see the estimated amount once.

Thanks

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd September 2020 at 17:26. Reason: Fixing quote tag. Also no need to put dots on new lines. :)
Old 23rd September 2020, 17:50   #818
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, thinking of the same whether to Claim the insurance or not.
If you have a no-claims bonus, remember that you will loose it, and that is not just for one year, but for the years it takes to build it back up again. Tinkering and painting one door is probably not worth that loss: depends on the cost of the mirror.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 01:37   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, thinking of the same whether to Claim the insurance or not. Should see the estimated amount once.

Thanks
Get the quote for spare parts, denting and painting including labour from Hyundai showroom and decide whether to go insurance way or not. Outside paint job would never match service center's fit and finish, but these days even few independent garages get it matched through proper color code, make sure they do it inside a paint booth or a closed dust free environment.

If the total cost is under 10k, get it fixed without insurance claim as you might lose your NCB. If the cost is on a higher side, claim insurance, there will be slight raise in premium next year though! To me, it looks like a minor accident and could be done in an FNG within 10k. But it's sad to shell out money for someone else's mistake. If you have time, lodge a police complaint base on the CCTV footage at the signal, if you don't want to go through all these hassles that too during this pandemic, simply ignore it.

Our Qualis had all dents and dings all around the body, we never got it repaired. we only used to maintain it mechanically well. When it was due for fitness renewal, we got complete denting and painting done once for all, it looks brand new now. So if you are okay to live with it, don't even bother in getting her fixed. If the paint is chipped to bare metal, get it fixed as it might cause rusting. If the base coat is still intact, don't worry at all.

Last edited by WhiteSierra : 24th September 2020 at 01:38.
WhiteSierra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 04:37   #820
Senior - BHPian

If the windows & lock work properly, I advise getting a new mirror and drivng the car like this as alternate transportation might expose your dad to other risks.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 12:16   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

If one is not going to claim insurance, and one is prepared to drive an imperfect car for a while, then one may as well collect the bumps until convenient to get all the work done. Personally, I can live with minor bumps and scratches, but I could not live without ORVM.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 14:19   #822
BHPian

Since this unfortunate incident (Need advice after Accident) last Saturday, my car has been parked at the dealer's body repair shop. I spoke to the SA today to check present status and was told that the parts (rear bumper, door) are on the way from Delhi and can take ~15 days to arrive as they come by truck. He had mentioned about this Delhi possibility (if not available at Bengaluru) when I gave the car there but I am rather puzzled about Maruti not maintaining part availability at nearby hubs. I had in fact expected dealers to have stock of popular models.

Hence wanted to know if this is a one-off case or is this how car companies work? Another issue I have is with regard to tracking. In today's era where one can track even tiny articles, Maruti doesn't seem to have any means to track the progress of work and/or shipment. The Maruti Care app just mentions repair in progress.
Old 25th September 2020, 15:08   #823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gischethans View Post
Since this unfortunate incident (Need advice after Accident) last Saturday, my car has been parked at the dealer's body repair shop. I spoke to the SA today to check present status and was told that the parts (rear bumper, door) are on the way from Delhi and can take ~15 days to arrive as they come by truck. He had mentioned about this Delhi possibility (if not available at Bengaluru) when I gave the car there but I am rather puzzled about Maruti not maintaining part availability at nearby hubs. I had in fact expected dealers to have stock of popular models.
Please check with other dealers too for the parts. Yes, seems strange that there is 15 days of waiting for such parts, especially for a Maruti.
greendream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 21:31   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gischethans View Post
If possible ask your dealer / service center to try and source the bumper and rear boot door through MGP stores. They generally have contacts and can be adjusted later (after the insurance gets approval)
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2020, 20:36   #825
BHPian

Our Santro has been brought back to the original shape from a known workshop, the car total work was done in just two days. Paid 4500 bucks totally, which is very reasonable, as the Hyundai Service centre quote was around 18K. Didn't dare to claim insurance because, as it was a 9 year old car, we have to pay 50% of the estimated amount and the remaining will be paid by the insurance firm. So paid from our pockets. Satisfied with the work, will post the photos soon. Thank you so much for your advices my fellow Bhpians. I'm so happy for being a member of this team
Thatautoguy46 is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks