Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2016, 12:19   #10831
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
The Railway Crossing on the Chinnapanahalli Main Road (after ISRO U Turn) has become a breeze due to few voluntaries directing the traffic. I cross the railway gate everyday at around 10:30 AM and have been surprised by the discipline the people are showing.

They have been there this whole week and not sure how long these voluntaries will contribute, but I can't thank them enough for saving 20 mins of my drive time.

Regards
Good to hear it. I am contemplating of taking that road to get to WHitefield. Today I dared enter the Marathahalli mess and reached Brookefield in about 10 minutes. Later I realised that almost all schools around Marathahalli have declared today a holiday owing to the leopard scare. So movement was quite a breeze. But this could be just for today.
Old 11th February 2016, 13:53   #10832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Good to hear it. I am contemplating of taking that road to get to WHitefield. Today I dared enter the Marathahalli mess and reached Brookefield in about 10 minutes. Later I realised that almost all schools around Marathahalli have declared today a holiday owing to the leopard scare. So movement was quite a breeze. But this could be just for today.
Strike Off Marathalli & Kundanahalli from your route.
I have been using this Chinnapahalli route since last 6 days, and although my car has started squeaking due to the damaged roads, I have a peaceful drive.

I used to take this route about 4 years back, but stopped when the roads deteriorated. I started taking Nallurahalli route for 2 years and stopped when roads were gone. These days in mornings at 7 am, I take Nallurahalli route again due to smooth Varthur and Nallurahalli roads. And while returning take the Chinappahalli route, to reach BTM.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2016, 18:25   #10833
Senior - BHPian

Got this as an update from an app that I use. Hosur road and sarjapur road will be made two way from 13th feb

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-imageuploadedbyteambhp1455195324.557900.jpg
Old 11th February 2016, 19:47   #10834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Got this as an update from an app that I use. Hosur road and sarjapur road will be made two way from 13th feb
What does this really mean? Which part of Hosur road / Sarjapur road is one way now? They all are 4 lane roads which is two way road right?
Old 11th February 2016, 20:40   #10835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
What does this really mean? Which part of Hosur road / Sarjapur road is one way now? They all are 4 lane roads which is two way road right?
The Madiwala market road will be relaid with concrete. So as a temporary measure, the St John's hospital road aka Sarjapur road and the Hosur road from petrol pump signal to Total mall will be made 2 way.
Old 11th February 2016, 21:44   #10836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
The Madiwala market road will be relaid with concrete. So as a temporary measure, the St John's hospital road aka Sarjapur road and the Hosur road from petrol pump signal to Total mall will be made 2 way.
That is going to cause quite a mess? How was the situation before this one way was introduced? I am asking this since I travel through that stretch in the evenings and usually I exit from ORR after Agara, come to Krupanidhi college junction and either take Market road or Sarjapur road. Now if this is made a two way, does it mean that the market road will be completely closed?

That means I am to take this route mandatorily:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-route1.jpg

I hope this shouldnt be an issue since I go on top of the underpass and then take right to join hosur road. However it will be a problem for those who want to take the right turn previous to this signal and join hosur road after the underpass.

Any tips or better route options? I make it a point to avoid silk board signal since there is a lot of holdup here and compared to that I can pass the same stretch within one signal near Krupanidhi and sometimes the signal before it. That is a lot better I feel. Any better alternatives?

Also, this means that the lane towards hosur road from Krupanidhi should be made wider since now at the most one car and one two wheeler can pass, and moreover commercial vehicles like TT and buses cant pass through the height barrier. Any idea if so many changes are really going to happen?

Last edited by audioholic : 11th February 2016 at 21:47.
Old 11th February 2016, 23:03   #10837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As unk9ja has mentioned, Sarjapur road (from st.johns towards krupanidhi college) will be made two way. And again hosur road (st johns junction towards silkboard) will be made two way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
That is going to cause quite a mess? How was the situation before this one way was introduced? Now if this is made a two way, does it mean that the market road will be completely closed?
Hoping that this would not be so much of a mess. Yes there will be traffic pile up but not as much as earlier. Earlier to the one way implementation , I used to see regular traffic snarls from total mall all the way below the underpass and towards the private bus stand. And while returning, again it used to start right from the base of the madiwala flyover. But this used to be because we had a signal allowing people to take turn from/to madiwala market road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Any tips or better route options?

Also, this means that the lane towards hosur road from Krupanidhi should be made wider since now at the most one car and one two wheeler can pass, and moreover commercial vehicles like TT and buses cant pass through the height barrier. Any idea if so many changes are really going to happen?
I do not see any better option for you. This would still be better than going via silkboard definately. But it wont be as smooth as you had till now. You would be stuck for some time trying to negotiate your way to the signal on top of the underpass. After that it should be usual traffic.
Old 12th February 2016, 09:23   #10838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Traffic Advisory from BTP FB page

Making of concrete road from Krupanidhi College junction to Madivala Police Station, the following changes are made from 13.02.2016 till completion of work.

1. Traffic allowed both ways from Madivala Checkpost to Madivala Police station.

2. Temporary one way restriction on Sarjapura road is removed

3. Vehicle coming form Koramangala BDA complex and going towards Madivala and Silk board can take left turn at Ayyappa Junction and onto Hosur main road.

Last edited by Jaguar : 12th February 2016 at 09:24.
Old 12th February 2016, 09:28   #10839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Strike Off Marathalli & Kundanahalli from your route.
I have been using this Chinnapahalli route since last 6 days, and although my car has started squeaking due to the damaged roads, I have a peaceful drive.

I used to take this route about 4 years back, but stopped when the roads deteriorated. I started taking Nallurahalli route for 2 years and stopped when roads were gone. These days in mornings at 7 am, I take Nallurahalli route again due to smooth Varthur and Nallurahalli roads. And while returning take the Chinappahalli route, to reach BTM.
Thanks for the advice. I tried my luck today and I saw from far that I could see no more than a 100 m due to the choked traffic and so I diverted to Doddanekundi and the Rainbow hospital route.
Come to think of the road quality in Chinapannahalli or Rainbow Hospital Road , I think I will have to buy an SUV soon since the republic's government would probably not consider re-laying those roads by the end of this decade at least. Pardon my optimism.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2016, 09:45   #10840
Distinguished - BHPian

With this new set-up that comes into effect tomorrow, the only ray of hope is that there won't be any signal right from St. Johns all the way till you get on top of Silkboard flyover.

However, there will be a lot of reasons that will affect Traffic:
  • Traffic from Water Tank wanting to Join Hosur Road on top of Madiwala Underpass - The Merging would not be a happy one with a lot of traffic flow from underneath and given the width of the carriageway
  • Private buses who have had a field day all this while would now be the troublemakers (Post 8pm) as they have to park under a tight set-up and still leave little or no room for traffic to pass next to them
  • Since Water Tank Jn to St. Johns would be made 2 way (not sure if they will), expect longer waiting times at St. John's signal in both directions
  • The new Idea will for cure cause a lot of confusions till things settle but at the same time you now have one stretch of road completely closed (Krupanidhi to Total Mall) and this eventually means that the traffic density on other roads will only increase.
  • Much before when St. Johns - Total Mall was 2 way, KSRTC, BMTC and Private buses still took the route via Krupanidhi and Market but now you can expect them to drive along with you below the Madiwala Underpass all the way to Silkboard too!
I and my colleague are already contemplating to take NICE everyday for our return trips only because we will use the city route in the morning (and reach office before 0730am) and return around 0400pm.

And the worst part - BTP says that this arrangement is "Till the work is completed" and having seen the progress of concretization on one side of the carriageway and the fact that the current state of the road here in one of the most horrible states (regular commuters would know), I see nothing less than 2 months at least till things get back to normal.

Well, Did I say .......NORMAL? So we expect the Veggie buyers and carts owners to become Gentlemen and start parking neatly in this market while they shop after the road is fully concretized and ready? We know they wont, but we will be happy and content that we have got a better road to crawl now.
Old 15th February 2016, 08:12   #10841
Distinguished - BHPian

The Good News:
Seems like Buses,Trucks and TTs wont be allowed Between Madiwala Check-Post (St. John's Signal) to Madiwala Police Station (Total Mall) Junction after the road was made 2 way to facilitate roadwork for the Madiwala Market Road.

Here's a pic that informs the same which I captured through the Dashcam:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20160215073628.png
(Read that Flex Board that bans these category of Vehicles from heading straight, Strangely that was not the case for opposite traffic)
Where do all the Buses & TTs go?
Initially I thought they would all be routed through Agara and then ORR to reach Silkboard but when I reached Madiwala Police Station (Total Mall) junction, I could notice these buses joining Hosur Road from the Market Road!

When I peeped left, I noticed that there were a lot of buses coming from that side joining Hosur road. Not sure if this arrangement is going to remain that way till the entire road work on Market Road is complete.

Fog on BETL:
Not that I had never witnessed a foggy drive on BETL over the last 8 years I have been driving to EC but today was perhaps the densest I have witnessed. It was fully sunny till about halfway through and it suddenly became foggy and the situation remained that way even at the Phase 1 Toll all the way till I reached my workplace.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-vlcsnap2016021508h09m19s477.png

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-vlcsnap2016021508h09m58s122.png

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-vlcsnap2016021508h10m14s520.png

Last edited by paragsachania : 15th February 2016 at 08:16.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 08:24   #10842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
The Good News:
Seems like Buses,Trucks and TTs wont be allowed Between Madiwala Check-Post (St. John's Signal) to Madiwala Police Station (Total Mall) Junction after the road was made 2 way to facilitate roadwork for the Madiwala Market Road.
This re-opening is a gamble. Here is what happened last evening - Sunday, around 9:15 PM.

I had to drop my brother at Madiwala to catch a bus.
The stretch from SilkBoard flyover, till St. John's junction was choked.
Since it has become 3 laned on this side, it is causing quite a jam. Scared of weekdays what would happen. I am sure the jam would spill beyond silk board flyover.

The opposite lane, towards Silk board was absolutely free. Just LMVs' plying. Might be because many people are not aware of this opening yet.
I am happy with this decision of BTP to re-direct the buses, trucks, TTs and HTVs' towards Madiwala, and let smaller vehicles to go straight. This "could" be made for sometime as an experiment. Might fail, because without Policing, no one would adhere.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 15th February 2016 at 08:26.
Old 15th February 2016, 09:27   #10843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
This re-opening is a gamble. Here is what happened last evening - Sunday, around 9:15 PM.
Along with the bold words, Bangalore on weekends is a Gamble when it comes to roads . You can never predict a pattern, specially on weekends in any direction.
Quote:
The opposite lane, towards Silk board was absolutely free. Just LMVs' plying.Might be because many people are not aware of this opening yet.
This is likely going to remain the same as Buses, Trucks and LCVs will use the deviation.
Quote:
I am happy with this decision of BTP to re-direct the buses, trucks, TTs and HTVs' towards Madiwala, and let smaller vehicles to go straight. This "could" be made for sometime as an experiment. Might fail, because without Policing, no one would adhere.
Not really. Until the Madiwala Check-Post to Madiwala Police Station was made one way, Buses always used to take the Madiwala Market road anyway. So the arrangement that we see today is something that we have seen for years.

However, I am wary about the return traffic like you mention (Police Station to St. John's). They cannot direct Buses on this corridor and hence expect snarls and pile-ups on a regular basis and this is the exact reason why I have been contemplating to take NICE road for my return drives irrespective of the time of the day beyond 3pm!
Old 15th February 2016, 09:38   #10844
Team-BHP Support

People coming from town to ELectronic CIty / Koramanagala will face big issues this morning. All roads through Adugodi have been closed. . Involves long tailbacks from Wilson Gardens to Housr/Hosa road junction
Old 15th February 2016, 09:40   #10845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Fog on BETL:
Yeah, found it strange to see such a thick fog. One thing generally winter used to get over by now (mid-Feb). In my area; I had gone for a morning walk at around 0630hrs and the weather was clear. But by around 0730hrs suddenly it changed and a very thick fog appeared.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed