Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2016, 13:38   #10711
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I wonder how people bare the pain and ride in 2 wheelers??.
My personal 2 cents : I find it easier to bear the pain in back than my left leg and more importantly my brain. The Bangalore traffic and the commute to office is beyond the actual realms of my car. 99 times out of 100 if somebody gives me an option to commute personally to a relatively shorter distance(~10kms) I will take a bike.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 13:51   #10712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With so many holes around Central Jail Road and Sarjapur road, my back started to scream immediately!! I wonder how people bare the pain and ride in 2 wheelers?? Or the suspension of my Jupiter is gone? Anyways have decided to not use it and mostly will be downgrading it to Scooty pep, so that my wife can use it atleast.
The best option in today's situation is to commute by office cab. Someone is driving the vehicle. All that you have to do is simply relax.
The flip side of this option is to keep your fingers crossed till you reach your destination (home,office) as the driving style of the cabbies leaves a lot to be desired.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 13:52   #10713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Last week, I took my TVS Jupiter to commute to my work. I totally regretted it!! With so many holes around Central Jail Road and Sarjapur road, my back started to scream immediately!! I wonder how people bare the pain and ride in 2 wheelers?? Or the suspension of my Jupiter is gone? Anyways have decided to not use it and mostly will be downgrading it to Scooty pep, so that my wife can use it atleast.
Scooters are the worst on bad roads due to the small wheels and suspension. Bikes are relatively much better at handling bad roads. My Pulsar NS is not too great on bad roads, I assume because the suspension is on the stiffer side as it is semi sports bike but it is still a long long way better than a TVS Wego which I ride. When I ride my brother's Royal Enfield I feel it eats up bad roads pretty comfortably.

A Scooty will be worse than a Jupiter. Maybe better for your wife to use the Jupiter.

Overall, Riding has become a pain due to the traffic and pollution. I have now mostly switched to BMTC Volvo's. Works well for my timings and route.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 1st February 2016 at 13:53.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 14:07   #10714
BHPian

1. I work in shifts and it changes almost every week and someday I will be on week offs and it changes often, hence using an office cab is not viable for me. Also the cabs come too early.

2. My wife finds the Jupiter to be heavy and hence is not comfortable with it. Probably next week I will get her scooty for her. I am still thinking of commuting by 1 wheeler. Apart from Pulsar & Enfield, is there any other bikes which will be comfortable for Bangalore roads?
Old 1st February 2016, 14:08   #10715
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Last week, I took my TVS Jupiter to commute to my work. I totally regretted it!! With so many holes around Central Jail Road and Sarjapur road, my back started to scream immediately!! I wonder how people bare the pain and ride in 2 wheelers?? .
I have taken my dio to work twice, in the last five months or so. I did not regret taking the two wheeler but I will surely not be ok with taking it to work everyday. Given that the commute is 52km up and down and I prefer going early in the morning, I did not find it uncomfortable or get any body ache. However, I had slowed down in the bad patches to a crawl and also if I felt I was too fast for a pothole or hump I stood up.

I think with a powerful bike with a good suspension setup, it shouldnt be a problem to commute. Just that one must avoid any hits to the back, as it will create severe problems in the long run. At least a paining ankle can be rectified, but a back with spine injury is a lot more serious.

I find driving the car in early hours is good. I havent had any issues with left leg so far. If I decide to come to work late, then thats a different story in the evening. And moreover I cant sit idle in a cab or bus for two hours. Somehow my office TTs even after breaking countless rules and driving like maniacs they are quite slow. In cab I have to sit for an hour in the morning and two hours minimum in the evening. Whereas in my own car it takes forty minutes in the morning and on an average 1.5 hours in the evening. And best irony is that if I take bus, I get leg and back pain after sitting for two hours which I dont get in car Maybe I just live to drive I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post

But they don't.

I have since decided to carry a helmet along with the bike.

Anyone has any ideas on how to secure a helmet onto the rear seat? I don't want it hanging around on the side since that is a recipe for disaster.
You are a nice man. Even my girlfriend has to carry her own helmet or I aint taking her.

Coming to the actual matter, you either have to get a helmet lock that can hold two helmets, or get an elastic rope to tie the helmet to the rear seat and lock it in place.

Last edited by audioholic : 1st February 2016 at 14:31.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2016, 14:28   #10716
Senior - BHPian

I ride a motorcycle.

I usually drop colleagues to their PGs nearby. Ever since the helmet rule started, I have asked them to buy helmets.

But they don't.

Anyone has any ideas on how to secure a helmet onto the rear seat? I don't want it hanging around on the side since that is a recipe for disaster.
Old 1st February 2016, 14:49   #10717
Distinguished - BHPian

Peaceful drive today into Hebbal from north BLR because multiple police squads were stopping all city-bound LCV, HCV and private buses etc. and shooing them away from Yelahanka onwards.

Looks like the state government is (for once) dead serious on putting on a good show for the Invest Karnataka meet. Just cutting out the LCVs meant a huge number of badly driven Aces, Dosts, Tempo Traveler and Tata Winger type were absent from the morning commute.
Old 1st February 2016, 15:19   #10718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Overall, Riding has become a pain due to the traffic and pollution. I have now mostly switched to BMTC Volvo's. Works well for my timings and route.
I somehow find travelling in a Volvo bus a pain due to the lack of headrest unlike the normal BMTC (AL/TATA) buses. Not sure why BMTC has not provided headrest on the Volvo buses.
Old 1st February 2016, 16:54   #10719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I ride a motorcycle.

I usually drop colleagues to their PGs nearby. Ever since the helmet rule started, I have asked them to buy helmets.

But they don't.

Appreciate you carrying an extra helmet. Isn't it possible to use a helmet lock and keep the one helmet locked in place?
Old 1st February 2016, 17:12   #10720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Appreciate you carrying an extra helmet. Isn't it possible to use a helmet lock and keep the one helmet locked in place?
I do not like those helmet locks too much.

The rear seat of the Hunk is bad enough as it is. If I fix this to the grab rail, no pretty girl will sit on my bike ever again.

On a more serious note, the helmet lock will end up rubbing against the tailbone of the pillion. Hence, I am a little against it.

But at this point, I am not sure what options I have left.
Old 1st February 2016, 17:58   #10721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On a more serious note, the helmet lock will end up rubbing against the tailbone of the pillion. Hence, I am a little against it.

But at this point, I am not sure what options I have left.
Why don't you use a simple cable lock like the one below
http://www.amazon.in/KUMAR-AUTOMOTIV...4-eb6e24428e38

https://paytm.com/shop/p/cycle-city-...FRAjaAod4BcJpA

http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/HLKM624.html

http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/HLHS201.html

Third one looks cool but not sure if they are available in India yet. All the above ones helps in two ways
1. Can have two helmets locked easily.
2. Can be simply removed when not needed so that it does not affect the pillion.

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 1st February 2016 at 18:08.
Old 2nd February 2016, 07:59   #10722
Distinguished - BHPian

Invest Karnataka 2016, Feb 03 - 05:

Brace yourself for the next 3 days as the meet is happening right at Palace Grounds and expect traffic to get messy around here. Plan your Airport visits accordingly, keep tab on Googlemaps to gauge traffic pattern on these 3 days (Feb 3-5) and decide a detour based on this.

As for me, I will take a call whether to sit at home for the next 3 days and work from home or drive to work by looking at the traffic pattern around Palace Grounds as this might hinder my return drive as I pass this place around 0530pm.

Today, I saw traffic cops on duty right at 0630 manning strategic entry point (Hebbal) & stopping by trucks and even LCVs and Mini LCVs to enter into the City.

This point had already become chaotic primarily because cops were stopping them right where the flyover starts and others wanting to get onto the flyover into the city getting stuck behind them.

On Yesterday, around 0415pm, saw beeline of trucks parked aside at NICE entry (& Exit) at EC/Hosur Road toll gate. Those who were parked were those typical long haulers taking NICE for Pune/Mumbai as it was evident when I looked a these trucks. Poor fellas don't even enter the City anyway and were made to stop here for god knows how long.

Authorities trying to depict a cleaner and less chaotic image of Bengaluru Roads over the next 5 days - Ban Trucks, Ban Private buses etc, Pain median and lane markers and so much more.
Old 2nd February 2016, 09:18   #10723
Distinguished - BHPian

Today since private buses were not let into the city they were all over the ring road trying to find some alternatives.

But this is just a desperate move by the government to give a faint impression that traffic is smooth inside the city. Now that the traffic issues have become a known fact among most MNCs, I dont think Mr. CM will be able to woo many investors into Bangalore at least, even if he promises empty roads for the coming five days.
audioholic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:38   #10724
BHPian

The One Ways implemented behind Graphite India is working I believe. It took only 20 mins from the Railway crossing to Vydehi Hospital at 10:30 AM today. Hope this is managed properly and everyone adheres to this one way rule.

Also, a red swift had rare ended a white ecosport right in front of JPMC Signal causing a bit of traffic jam in the morning.

OT : A lady riding a honda dio was contiguously honking and wanted me to move to right so that she can over take from left side in front of Iblur Camp. I was on extreme left and the traffic was flowing. This lady overtakes me from right and hurled some abuse at me with hand gesture. I was amused by her behavior
Old 2nd February 2016, 11:41   #10725
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
The One Ways implemented behind Graphite India is working I believe. It took only 20 mins from the Railway crossing to Vydehi Hospital at 10:30 AM today.
What is the new rule? Any details?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks