Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2016, 17:31   #10891
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
A well repaired road in AECS Layout
On How, When & Where the authorities repair or relay roads (Good or bad doesn't matter) was always a Puzzle. This one proves that it is indeed a Jigsaw Puzzle
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 17:49   #10892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Looking at the amount of patchwork done, it is sheer common sense that laying a new road would have been the ideal solution. Come on BBMP, you have patched up close to 80% of the road.
DONT YOU KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PATCH WORK AND RELAYING A ROAD???
Not so straightforward when it comes to BBMP. I stay in AECS layout and most of the roads here got tarred recently. But the only the hitch.. asphalt layer was only few mm thick. The entire bitumen got washed away in the accompanying rain exposing the well laid older surface. So a good patch work is better than an shoddy relaying.
Old 18th February 2016, 17:51   #10893
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Whitefielders please take note:
Today's happening place seems to be Phoenix market city on ITPL Road.
This morning there were RTO officials stopping vehicles in what seemed to be targeted at out of state cars since I saw that the cars stopped had KL and TN registration plates.
All along ITPL Road there were several flex boards for a KRV meeting at 3pm at Phoenix.
On my way back home, traffic had started slowing down just after Decathlon so I expected the worst. Nearing Whitefield Honda and ORR junction it was a crawl but luckily for me it was just the beginning of a possibly long traffic jam and I was getting away from Whitefield. On the other side of the road the participants of the KRV meeting were just arriving in their personal vehicles as well as autos and other vehicles with their supporters. There was even a dancing troupe on the road and bursting of crackers and the entourage was headed towards Phoenix.
This was at 5pm so expect the worst, avoid the route if possible and consider alternative options.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 09:35   #10894
Senior - BHPian

This happens only in Namma Bengaluru

Quote:
Here is the story of how a road got destroyed just two hours after it was asphalted
The irresponsible tug of war between two civic authorities took road misery to a new level.The 4th Main, 8th Cross of Chamarajpet got a new lease of life from Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) in the form of a much delayed coat of tar. But that lasted for just two hours. Before the residents could get to use the reworked stretch even once, the same road was dug and left in a pathetic condition by Bescom for laying cables.
Here is how the misery unfolded.

The stretch that was in a pathetic condition, full of potholes, was all set to get a new look on February 11. As part of the Nagarothana Scheme, Chamarajpet was given nearly `40 lakh to revive roads. The work of asphalting began around midnight and was completed by 3:30am.However, the Bescom personnel descended on the justasphalted road at around 5:30 am and started digging it.With the morning walkers raising an alarm, the local corporator G Kokila Chandrashekar rushed to the spot and ordered the Bescom personnel to stop working.

Before the residents stepped out of their houses to enjoy the smooth ride on the road, action had commenced again: Bescom personnel resumed digging at 8am. A scuffle broke out as the corporator locked horns with the Bescom engineers. While the corporator and BBMP personnel ordered Bescom to stop the work, the latter maintained that they had to dig the road as an underground cable had got damaged and, as a result, nearly 400 houses in the nearby Raghavendra Colony and Nanjamma Agrahara areas had plunged into darkness. Bescom officials patched up the spot and left.

BESCOM HAD `NO CLUE'

“We had to restore power supply and it took us nearly 18 hours to identify the spot and rectify it. We had no clue that they would asphalt the road overnight and that there would be a power-supply problem. It was an emergency and we had to dig the road to restore power supply to so many areas. We did send a e-mail to the BBMP commissioner stating that it was an e m e r g e n c y, “ s a i d S y e d Noorulla, junior engineer, Bescom.
link here:

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...19022016005014
sandsun7 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 09:54   #10895
BHPian

Beached whale oops lorry alert; a big container truck is stuck diagonally across the median just before you take the last flyover to manyata if you are driving towards Hebbal. The vehicle was coming from the other side (i.e. hebbal)

I passed the spot around 830 am and rubber neckers were already at their favourite pastime. Things could get worse if its not removed asap
Old 19th February 2016, 10:34   #10896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
I am really sad to read the news, but proud that the Hero Harish wanted to donate his organs in spite of his plight. I will light a candle for him and I've pledged to donate my organs when i am gone. Truly inspiring.

And i also hope that the road and safety issues are one of the key focus areas for our law makers, citizens than Investors conference and other misplaced priorities.
I am lost for words. Utterly shocked that something like this can happen in this day and age. And those people who filmed this incident should be ashamed of themselves. How can they justify filming something like this?! Just beyond belief.

Harish is a true hero, what a gem of a human being. I just cannot get over the fact that he had the presence of mind to donate his organs in such a state.

Road safety has to become a priority. Every time I visit Bangalore, I've noticed that the traffic situation seems to get worse. The infrastructure is stretched to its limits. And what are the people in charge doing? really? I'm so angry and frustrated right now. That poor poor boy
Jeeper1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 10:38   #10897
BHPian

Slightly off the topic.
A must have for our city roads, and the idea is quite brilliant isn't it?

"While it’s impossible to miss all potholes, Ford engineers have developed an advanced computer-controlled shock absorber system for the all-new Fusion V6 Sport, a 2017 model year vehicle, which significantly reduces that unpleasant feeling one gets when driving down a pothole-riddled road.
The Fusion V6 Sport is the first Ford car equipped with a computer-controlled shock absorber system – or continuously controlled damping – as a standard feature. New pothole mitigation technology works by actually detecting potholes and ‘catching’ the car’s wheel before it has a chance to drop all the way into the pothole."

treadmark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 10:55   #10898
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Slightly off the topic.
A must have for our city roads, and the idea is quite brilliant isn't it?

"While it’s impossible to miss all potholes, Ford engineers have developed an advanced computer-controlled shock absorber system for the all-new Fusion V6 Sport, a 2017 model year vehicle, which significantly reduces that unpleasant feeling one gets when driving down a pothole-riddled road.
The Fusion V6 Sport is the first Ford car equipped with a computer-controlled shock absorber system – or continuously controlled damping – as a standard feature. New pothole mitigation technology works by actually detecting potholes and ‘catching’ the car’s wheel before it has a chance to drop all the way into the pothole."

Nice one. But on our roads if it keeps the wheels from falling deep down into potholes, it could eventually be seen flying! Hopefully, they detect this and disable the system

Last edited by khan_sultan : 19th February 2016 at 20:58. Reason: fixed quotes
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 13:58   #10899
BHPian

Silkboard: Infection vs Frustration

Whenever there is massive jam at Silkboard (well, it's a daily scene during evening) I had this bad habit of getting down from Office cab / ITPB bus near HSR signal and start walking all the way till (near) BTM bus stand. I was thinking it is bit of an exercise, also "smart" way of reaching my destination faster under 15-20 mins, instead of sitting idle for nearly an hour.

From last couple of months I am experiencing congestion, chest infection etc symptoms regularly. Consulted couple of doctors. They both asked the same question. Do you have the habit of walking in dusty / polluted atmosphere? I waited for a minute and answered "Yes! Silkboard junction". Their reaction was .

Looks bit exaggerated. But this is the reality.

Last month Home minister instructed traffic department to ease waiting period under 20 mins for crossing SB junction. After that miracle happened. And now the wait is almost an hour.

<!-- End of Rant -->
Nempuguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 14:09   #10900
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post
From last couple of months I am experiencing congestion, chest infection etc symptoms regularly. Consulted couple of doctors. They both asked the same question. Do you have the habit of walking in dusty / polluted atmosphere? I waited for a minute and answered "Yes! Silkboard junction". Their reaction was .
Quite obvious reaction I guess, after all, silk board is the most polluted junction in Bangalore based on a study (as per some FM channel) and BTM layout is the most polluted residential area in Bangalore.
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 14:18   #10901
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Last month Home minister instructed traffic department to ease waiting period under 20 mins for crossing SB junction. After that miracle happened. And now the wait is almost an hour.

<!-- End of Rant -->
More so from this week. I did not want to venture into Sarjapur road so carried on to silk board. Yesterday was the worst. Was stuck for 45 minutes. And yes I never ever open the car window in that area. Just horrible stench and smoke.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 17:21   #10902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Went ahead and filed an RTI to get details about the relaying of the Madiwala Market road. Irritating to see that we have to use only one lane every day inspite of the huge amount of traffic flowing through this section! And they aren't doing any work on the lane that is blocked off either. Lets see what reply I get.
So I got a reply a week back. I wanted to scan and make a pdf of the documents that I have received and post it here but haven't been able to due to time constraints and some travel. Will do it the next week for sure.

And well....ho hum....maybe once I post up, we can tear into it.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2016, 19:04   #10903
BHPian

Quote:
Silkboard: Infection vs Frustration

Whenever there is massive jam at Silkboard (well, it's a daily scene during evening) I had this bad habit of getting down from Office cab / ITPB bus near HSR signal and start walking all the way till (near) BTM bus stand. I was thinking it is bit of an exercise, also "smart" way of reaching my destination faster under 15-20 mins, instead of sitting idle for nearly an hour.

From last couple of months I am experiencing congestion, chest infection etc symptoms regularly.
You should carry an Oxygen cylinder and mask along so the walk can double up as work out too!
babu.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 01:55   #10904
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From last couple of months I am experiencing congestion, chest infection etc symptoms regularly. Consulted couple of doctors. They both asked the same question. Do you have the habit of walking in dusty / polluted atmosphere?
Well its quite obvious, as someone who deals with bronchitis and stuffy nose I did a lot of reading on the causes. Diesel emissions, petrol emissions, burning papers/garbage, smoke of cooking, flying dust all affect the human body negatively. The reason is that man was never supposed to be living in such an age, the body isn't meant to inhale carbon emissions, NOx, small debris, dust, sand particles etc in such huge volumes as we are today. Don't think an airconditioned environment with cluster ioniser is safe either, its just as bad as it creates invisible growth of fungus in the air, vents and surroundings (fungi thrive in cold conditions) specially when the room isn't cleaned thoroughly & regularly which never often is the case in offices.

It doesn't matter if one smokes or not, a smoker who remains indoors and keeps himself protected from the traffic pollution is only as much in a risk as is a non-smoker who walks in congested, traffic flooded roads all day. Why do the lungs and nose swell up and get congested? Imagine micro-particles of sand, dust, bacteria & viruses present in them + harmful gases like NOx etc blasting through the nostrils and going into the lower chambers of the lungs every minute you are exposed to them? Its a surprise that we get away with relatively small problems thanks in large part to the mucuous membrane which acts as a filter. Fever, excess production of mucuous are just the body's way of defending against bacterial/viral attack
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 06:45   #10905
Senior - BHPian

Folks

A MAJOR TRAFFIC ALERT:

Saw a TATA pick up broken down just after Mantri Sarovar. That was on the rightmost lane

Also saw a broken down truck just before the start of the downward ramp of the Kadubeesanahalli underpass

So users WATCHOUT!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks