Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2011, 18:38   #2581
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

You really need to post this on the FB page for the BTP ! I am sure lot of users there will agree and in all likelihood, it will stir a hornets nest on that page !

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
We were returning in a friend's car last thursday from MG rd and decided to take the Lalbagh route since we had to go to Jayanagar.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd September 2011 at 15:48. Reason: Please do NOT quote the entire long post. Instead, quote only the relevant bits
Old 31st August 2011, 18:45   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Anyone who drinks and drives threatening lives of fellow human beings deserves no sympathy from me. It's quite funny how people first drink and drive, then get caught, then try and "negotiate" the fine down and on top of it have the gall to call the cops "chhor". And if they are confident that they have not had more than the limit, press to be taken to hospital for a proper blood test. The cops would let you off if they are just bluffing.

BTW i am a north indian living in Bangalore, dont speak Kannada and drive a KA registered car having paid all the road-taxes which law requires i pay. If the guys caught were so law abiding, why were they still driving with Out-of-State registered vehicles ?
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 19:15   #2583
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the person who has posted this incident seems to know things a little too much in detail. Do you drive a DL registered car by any chance?

Last edited by poloman : 31st August 2011 at 19:16.
Old 31st August 2011, 19:18   #2584
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
You really need to post this on the FB page for the BTP ! I am sure lot of users there will agree and in all likelihood, it will stir a hornets nest on that page !
I would have but privacy issues. Any post is for everyone to see; and there, the names comes up not a handle.

Karma will do the honours for the cops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Anyone who drinks and drives threatening lives of fellow human beings deserves no sympathy from me. It's quite funny how people first drink and drive, then get caught, then try and "negotiate" the fine down and on top of it have the gall to call the cops "chhor". And if they are confident that they have not had more than the limit, press to be taken to hospital for a proper blood test. The cops would let you off if they are just bluffing.
FYI : I'm just reporting, was not involved.

1) Drink-driving is condemned, no doubt
2) Cops can't think logically. They know one thing - mint money and in the process maybe catch violators. It was evident from the inflated readings each time the driver took blew air. If what you said about the cops was true, they would have let the driver off at 18 or even 25. But no, they did something with the plastic that you blow air into.
3) Cops are NOT righteous.
4) Blood test if in doubt - hah! they'll start off with a barrage of abuses.
Old 31st August 2011, 19:30   #2585
BHPian

Quote:
We were returning in a friend's car last thursday from MG rd and decided to take the Lalbagh route since we had to go to Jayanagar.
I'm writing this post after a week so that it is not perceived as "emotional" or an impulse.
I have no words but ROFL! I have little (or) no respect for the Bangalore Traffic Police.
It is an established fact that the BANGALORE TRAFFIC POLICE are neither regulators of traffic, nor an impartial legally operating agency, but a blatantly SHAMELESS collection agency. Fines or Hafta, neither do I support in the case of Bangalore. Our dear Traffic Police Adl. CP cribs about having a shortage of staff, but ironically, he has enough staff to collect fines at strategic points near Lalbagh (for eg.), while on the other hand, traffic is gone bananas all around the Lalbagh area, which I commute to everyday. You will see utter chaos at the Lalbagh Lake gate junction every morning even with the cops - every minute, at least 2 dozen people bunk signals, while the others run over pedestrians(nearly), park on the road/footpaths, stop on the zebra crossing, drive the wrong way.
On inner ring road, their interceptors fine people going at 80km/h, but do nothing about buses driving at 30 in the right most lane. Same is the case on BIAL road.

They find every *trivial* to catch 2 & 4 wheelers, more so driven by the so called "non-kannadigas" or those with out of state registrations, while the main perpertrators of violations, and contributors to the chaotic traffic; the BMTC buses, 3 Wheeled insects and call center cabs are free to commit whatever atrocious traffic violations they please to do. And what is our dear Adl. Tr CP's explanation? He says he can't spot fine BMTC buses and sends them notices instead, while - look at the ironic truth yourself:
-go to BTIS - Traffic Fines - the place where you can check fines pending against a vehicle and pay them off.
-enter any 5 (heck even three will do) random BBTC registration no.s in the box and hit enter. ( KA01F1234, KA01FA1234 series).
-you will find any no. of fines between 3 and 25; typically ~ a dozen fines pending against the particular bus since at least a couple of years.
-some sample results:
"There are 25 violation/s amounting to Rs.2500 on vehicle number KA01FA1233. (Pay fines at any Traffic Police Station/BangaloreOne/Online @ bangaloreone.gov.in)"
"There are 3 violation/s amounting to Rs.300 on vehicle number KA01FA1234. (Pay fines at any Traffic Police Station/BangaloreOne/Online @ bangaloreone.gov.in)"
"There are 15 violation/s amounting to Rs.1500 on vehicle number KA01F3344. (Pay fines at any Traffic Police Station/BangaloreOne/Online @ bangaloreone.gov.in)"

Don't believe me? I'm just repeating the CoP's words!
‘Stop your extortionist ways’, News - City - Bangalore Mirror,Bangalore Mirror
Cops can

In fact, I've observed that BTPmen often do not stop people from violating. Instead they patiently wait for the violations to occur and a few yards away, start stopping the violators SELECTIVELY while traffic clogs up and jams in the background.

Everyone knows BTP's hostility towards people who do not speak Kannada. This has been reported 1st hand by several BHPians too. Nothing could be worse.
Bangalore seems to be becoming increasingly hostile to people who do not speak Kannada.

I can go on and on.

I am SICK of this thread, thanks to the attitude of the BTP, which could have been the only saving grace of Bangalore's POOR infrastructure, thanks to which, I do not consider the place supposed to be my own hometown as a *proper* metropolitan city.

Oh, and Nishad, I have no issues posting this on BTP myself.

Quote:
BTW i am a north indian living in Bangalore, dont speak Kannada and drive a KA registered car having paid all the road-taxes which law requires i pay. If the guys caught were so law abiding, why were they still driving with Out-of-State registered vehicles ?
Because there is nothing wrong or unlawful in doing so.
Arkin evoisrevo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 19:42   #2586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post

Would appreciate if you check your facts. If someone brings a Out of state vehicle in KA, he is supposed to pay KA road tax and get KA number within a year.
Old 31st August 2011, 22:27   #2587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123

Would appreciate if you check your facts. If someone brings a Out of state vehicle in KA, he is supposed to pay KA road tax and get KA number within a year.
Just out of curiosity, who would know if I'm coming to Bangalore just for a day or I live here? Within a year of what?
Old 31st August 2011, 22:57   #2588
BHPian

Quote:
We were returning in a friend's car last thursday from MG rd and decided to take the Lalbagh route since we had to go to Jayanagar.......
Why don't you write a mail to BTP regarding the incident?
Old 1st September 2011, 02:27   #2589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Just out of curiosity, who would know if I'm coming to Bangalore just for a day or I live here? Within a year of what?
Real life example:
My friend normally lives in Mumbai. He came to Bangalore sometime during October 2009 to see the possibility of running his business in Bangalore. A few weeks later, he decided to stay in Bangalore. He started running his business in Bangalore.

In January 2010, he went to the RTO and paid the road tax and got the KA registration for his car. He stayed till September 2010 and then moved back to Mumbai.

Hope this gives some answers to your questions.
Old 1st September 2011, 09:11   #2590
BHPian

Quote:

Legally it is wrong ( When should an out of state vehicle register with RTO in Karnataka?). Are you saying nothing morally wrong?
Old 1st September 2011, 09:28   #2591
Senior - BHPian

When cops pull you over and unnecessarily harrass you, what would happen if you stay inside the car and refuse to get out?
I feel that you are at their mercy the moment you are out in the open. When 3 cops surround you and play the good cop-bad cop routine, your mind gets carried away.
I plan to switch on my cell phone's video recording the next time cops stop me. And then, I plan to argue with them on why they don't fine drivers not wearing seatbelts. I will share the video once I do it ;-).

But yes, whenever I am tested for drunken driving, they always let me go after the first check, because the reading is ALWAYS zero.
Old 1st September 2011, 09:38   #2592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Normally the cops should enter a date onto their system when they see a car for the first time and if found after a period of time, they should stop you.
Even that could be wrong if you keep visiting Bengaluru for shopping from neighbouring states. Guess its hard to prove exactly.

But then, Isn't it a law abiding person's (who would have supported Anna in the recent campaign) to follow rules and regulations? Shouldn't he change his DLs address also? He is the one guy who knows the truth 100%. Why do we change our address and DL when we are in U.S for example when we move between states?

Else, to make it long and sure proof, the cops should contact your employer to know exactly if you are staying here or not.

Everyone knows we dont have systems to know who exactly lives in our country too. Until then, anyone can blame anyone and protest against them (while overlooking ones own responsibility)

Not to sound preachy, I have never bribed traffic police ever for anything. I dont drive when drunk. I have only once paid a fine for overspeeding and was happy to contribute to the govt coffers

Last edited by srishiva : 1st September 2011 at 09:46.
Old 1st September 2011, 10:10   #2593
BHPian

[quote=Arkin evoisrevo;2488852]

go to BTIS - Traffic Fines - the place where you can check fines pending against a vehicle and pay them off.
-enter any 5 (heck even three will do) random BBTC registration no.s in the box and hit enter. ( KA01F1234, KA01FA1234 series).
-you will find any no. of fines between 3 and 25; typically ~ a dozen fines pending against the particular bus since at least a couple of years.
-some sample results:
"There are 25 violation/s amounting to Rs.2500 on vehicle number KA01FA1233. (Pay fines at any Traffic Police Station/BangaloreOne/Online @ bangaloreone.gov.in)"

I am confused. Maybe but I understood the gist of your post as BTP not doing anything about BMTC bus violations. If that is the case then why do so violations show up against the bus numbers you mention?

In fact, I've observed that BTPmen often do not stop people from violating. Instead they patiently wait for the violations to occur and a few yards away, start stopping the violators SELECTIVELY while traffic clogs up and jams in the background.
I am again confused. By definition, a violation or an accident is an event only if it happens, no? The cops are supposed to flag down certain drivers, and say they have tagged them as potential violators, since they detected an intent to violate signal (through telepathy?) emanating from the person/vehicle? And then fine them?

Old 1st September 2011, 10:30   #2594
BHPian

[quote=carZest;2489324]
Quote:

I am confused. Maybe but I understood the gist of your post as BTP not doing anything about BMTC bus violations. If that is the case then why do so violations show up against the bus numbers you mention?

I am again confused. By definition, a violation or an accident is an event only if it happens, no? The cops are supposed to flag down certain drivers, and say they have tagged them as potential violators, since they detected an intent to violate signal (through telepathy?) emanating from the person/vehicle? And then fine them?

BTP claims they recover the fines directly from the drivers' salaries thru the BMTC.
But look at the no. of pending fines.

Telepathy? lol. Be more observant on our roads and you will know what I mean.

To those cribbing about driving with an "out of state" registration. There are several people living for a short period of time (less than an year), doing their degree etc. in Bangalore, while there are also many people who live up and down ( I used to) in 2 states - a few months in one, few months in another. You can't (heck even the government doesn't) expect them to re-register their vehicles and pay road tax just for a short term stay. Besides the traffic police has no business ingiving them an official intimation asking them to pay their road tax. This comes purely under the purview of the RTO.

Quote:
I never said otherwise Would appreciate if you read posts properly. :frustrati

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 1st September 2011 at 10:34.
Old 1st September 2011, 11:03   #2595
BHPian

[quote=Arkin evoisrevo;2489347][quote=carZest;2489324]

BTP claims they recover the fines directly from the drivers' salaries thru the BMTC.
But look at the no. of pending fines.

But the fact of the matter is BTP guys on the ground have recorded these violations. And not wilfully ignored them, saying its a fellow-government organisation.

Telepathy? lol. Be more observant on our roads and you will know what I mean.

To those cribbing about driving with an "out of state" registration. There are several people living for a short period of time (less than an year), doing their degree etc. in Bangalore, while there are also many people who live up and down ( I used to) in 2 states - a few months in one, few months in another. You can't (heck even the government doesn't) expect them to re-register their vehicles and pay road tax just for a short term stay. Besides the traffic police has no business ingiving them an official intimation asking them to pay their road tax. This comes purely under the purview of the RTO.

My experience has been that BTP does not ask stop out-state vehicles and ask them to pay road tax. Ask around on the forum. This is in contrast to my stint in Hyderabad where my KA registered car was game for every traffic policeman, even though I had it there for only 6 months. You should also be more observant with an open-mind.

Most Viewed