Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2016, 09:12   #2836
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

TBhpians from Chennai, I have to travel to Chennai from Bangalore on the 15th - 16th.
I keep hearing that the 16th is a bandh there? Is it confirmed.
I have a KA registered car, but I am a tamilian. What risk will I be putting my car into if i am there on a bandh day?
Old 12th September 2016, 09:37   #2837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
TBhpians from Chennai, I have to travel to Chennai from Bangalore on the 15th - 16th.
I have a KA registered car, but I am a tamilian. What risk will I be putting my car into if i am there on a bandh day?
About the bandh, you need to monitor the news channels. If they get a 'favorable' decision, there may not be any bandh.
But if you travel on a bandh day and they can make out that you are a Tamil, you will be in for a hard time. Unless you are fluent in Kannada, don't take any chances.

Once I was caught on the day Rajkumar passed away in Mysore. I had to hole up in a hotel for the next 2 days. They helped me by placing my car deep inside the parking lot. And on my way back, I smeared red mud all over the number plate and the bumpers to avoid being found out that it has TN Registration. Once a group of cops saw this and laughed. But I came home unscathed. I spoke Hindi and English wherever I stopped to give the impression that I was from North.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 10:13   #2838
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
But if you travel on a bandh day and they can make out that you are a Tamil, you will be in for a hard time. Unless you are fluent in Kannada, don't take any chances.
HI Prowler, I guess the question is other way around from bharat4ever - travelling on KA registered car to TN and he knows tamil.

As such there are not much disturbances inside the chennai city. We hear of some KA vehicles being damaged in Cauvery belt - Tanjore etc and also in Rameshwaram, but nothing much in chennai.
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 10:14   #2839
BHPian

Thank you sire, but my situation is the opposite. I wanted to know the situation in Chennai on a TN Bandh day, with a KA car.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 11:28   #2840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
HI Prowler, I guess the question is other way around from bharat4ever - travelling on KA registered car to TN and he knows tamil.
Quote:
Thank you sire, but my situation is the opposite. I wanted to know the situation in Chennai on a TN Bandh day, with a KA car.
Oh My! Good Grief ! I think I have become dyslexic. Sorry about that goof up Gentlemen.

You don't need to worry about Chennai. My neighbor has a KA registered car and he moves around everywhere with no worry. Things have not deteriorated to that stage.
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 11:32   #2841
BHPian

Quote:

As such there are not much disturbances inside the chennai city.
Sorry - i guess i need to take back my words. I just read that yesterday night hotel in Mylapore, Chennai which has been attacked - http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...ennai-3026796/

I would suggest wait and watch for couple of days.
Old 12th September 2016, 12:02   #2842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry - i guess i need to take back my words. I just read that yesterday night hotel in Mylapore, Chennai which has been attacked - http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...ennai-3026796/
I would suggest wait and watch for couple of days.

I live 15 minutes from there, eat regularly at the restaurant there and have a KA registered car. Got to see just what my insurance terms and conditions say about damage caused during rioting :(

Thanks! Been rather busy to read the papers these past few days and now I see this happening.
Old 12th September 2016, 12:10   #2843
Senior - BHPian

I commute through Central everyday to work and its a menace that most cops out there watch helplessly. Its the mob attitude, its not one or two of them who jump in between the signal. Its primarily the crowd from the Park station, most crowd from Park Town take the subway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Checkout the pedestrians crossing the road in front of Chennai Central station when it is green for vehicles. Unmindful of the signal and the speeding vehicles, they just run/walk across. It is a miracle no one gets hurt, since this happens all day.
anachronix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2016, 14:52   #2844
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just read that yesterday night hotel in Mylapore, Chennai which has been attacked - http://indianexpress.com/article/ind...ennai-3026796/
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

I live 15 minutes from there, eat regularly at the restaurant there and have a KA registered car.
New Woodlands Hotel! Always thought of it as a haven of peace in the city centre.

Ate dinner there with a visitor from abroad yesterday evening and the evening before.

I guess this is really shocking to all of us, but we can't really get into it without getting political.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 12th September 2016 at 14:53.
Old 14th September 2016, 11:05   #2845
BHPian

What a wonderful weather for the last few days. Today, it was at its best. I tried to capture it in a picture, but could do partial justice only. At 9.30 it's sunny but today it was cloudy, drizzling and misty. Made me wonder am at Chennai or some where else.

Near Pallavaram GST road flyover:
Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai-chennai-weather.jpg

Last edited by ravradha : 14th September 2016 at 11:06. Reason: added details
ravradha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2016, 09:12   #2846
BHPian

Today's strike seems to have very minimal effect on the roads of chennai, atleast during my office commute at 8AM. Traffic was usual on OMR with govt buses, shared autos, cabs, company buses plying, with only exception being the school buses missing due to closed schools.
Most of the petrol bunks were closed, whereas Shell was allowing vehicles to fuel, but they might also close soon.
Old 16th September 2016, 10:33   #2847
BHPian

Took me 50 minutes for my commute of 25Km from Nungambakkam to Sholinganallur which usually takes one hour or more. There is less traffic on the roads today.
Old 19th September 2016, 14:33   #2848
BHPian

What's happening in Chennai these days?

I see a surge in the number of TN-85 (Kundrathur RTO) registered Swift Dzire (Tour) these days. Guess they are part of Fast Track, Ola fleet!

These morons drive with an 'I Don't care' attitude. Cutting across lanes, loud honk when the signal is RED. Sigh!

Last edited by Prodigy07 : 19th September 2016 at 14:35.
Old 19th September 2016, 14:59   #2849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy07 View Post
What's happening in Chennai these days?

I see a surge in the number of TN-85 (Kundrathur RTO) registered Swift Dzire (Tour) these days. Guess they are part of Fast Track, Ola fleet!

These morons drive with an 'I Don't care' attitude. Cutting across lanes, loud honk when the signal is RED. Sigh!
The largest operator of white swift dzire tour cars in Chennai is the prepaid taxi service at Chennai Airport - the one that says "Govt Registered Prepaid Taxi" and used to operate black and yellow ambassadors earlier.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 16:09   #2850
BHPian

GST Road is becoming a real PAIN these days.

The stretch from Chromepet Bus stop till Vetri theatre is in a very very bad shape.

They have dug a huge pit near Vetri theatre since yesterday evening.

Stretch from Pallavaram signal till Airport flyover also has huge pile up post 6pm!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks