Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2011, 00:03   #901
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Its really a terrific morning in Chennai Road. I went from Medavakkam to Arumbakkam

Not just the morning, any time going from Medavakkam to any place is a terrific time.

The best traffic free roads these days are the Mount road. I find it far more relaxing to drive in these roads compared to any other raod including OMR and ECR.
Old 28th October 2011, 01:05   #902
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm confused. terrific usually has positive connotations. Terrible?
Old 28th October 2011, 11:00   #903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010

The best traffic free roads these days are the Mount road. I find it far more relaxing to drive in these roads compared to any other raod including OMR and ECR.
Will agree to this with my last 2 years experience in mount road (from halda till nandanam or at times till teynampet) compared to the many years prior exp with OMR. There are few bottle necks- say near saidapet bus stand(mornings) or some times near raj bhavan(evenings) but the road surface and edges are far more better and less of a mayhem. Of course traffic near OMR has increased at a higher rate than that of mount road, but still.

+After the last couple of days' rains I can see the roads deteriorating already (especially stretches along Velachery main road) and can only imagine what will be the condition a few weeks down!! Stretch near Sutherland is getting narrower by the day. Wonder what is the plan (if at all there is one) considering the widening is "held up" due to disputes!!
Old 28th October 2011, 12:12   #904
Senior - BHPian

Omr, ecr was not built to handle even 1/10 volume of traffic mount road handles..

Its a shame that, that part of the city is being promoted.
Old 28th October 2011, 12:34   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Omr, ecr was not built to handle even 1/10 volume of traffic mount road handles..

Its a shame that, that part of the city is being promoted.
Talk about planning!! The need for flyovers at multiple junctions on this road, that too arising just within 2-3 years of completion of such major work on that road (IT HIGHWAY widening to 6 lane I am talking of, which is still a "shame" to the word "completion") is an example of "planning" our authorities does.

To me, when I look at this part of city, the only planned work was the flyover at Kamakshi hospital jn in Pallikaranai- while during construction/ completion, might have seemed wasteful, at least to some, considering the traffic at that area then. But see now; you will understand how it has saved people from a possible traffic nightmare at peak hours, at an otherwise (somewhat) deserted area.
ThePunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 15:58   #906
Senior - BHPian

Though there are some good contributions of the road still we are struggling and the planners seems to plan for the next 5 years only.We should teach them to think 50 years ahead and plane.But for their personal Family they plan to accumulate thousands of Billions for 10 generations,but for the road and traffic development they lack the planning. Thoraippakkam Pallavaram road and the Velachery Mount link road along with Metro line and the Bridges in Pallavaram and Tambaram are of great use, but when it rains Chrompet is road is bulging with or stand still with vehicles.
Old 28th October 2011, 16:33   #907
Senior - BHPian

If the focus is to be on more roads, it will not help even if they plan for 50years ahead. Instead the focus should be on effective public transportation, leading to people using their cars only rarely.

IMO, one bright way to decongest the city in general and SouthChennai in particular would have been to take the MRTS from Thiruvanmiyur station (TIDEL Park), straight over the OMR till Sholinganallur and even further even till Mahabs. That way those working on OMR would take the train instead of biking/driving down from as far as Parrys/Central etc. It was idiotic to just divert the MRTS from TIDEL towards Velachery, without having a line over OMR - it could run on pillars on the median of the road.

If such an option were available, I would have preferred the train, even if it meant that I would have to take the electric train in opposite direction from Nungambakkam to Park to catch the MRTS. Even with this, the total commute would take less than what it takes by car and would be stress-free.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 02:19   #908
Senior - BHPian

With in these two days of rain the condition of the roads in the city is worsened. Can't stay home idly and there comes always some work. Rain or sun we have to move. The traffic in Vadapazhani, Koyambed and Tirumangalam route was like a snail movement. Almost all the roads in and around Medavakkam, Velachery,Kilkattalai and Madippakkam are getting worse day bye day. My God How to drive and how to move with out pain and strain in Chennai.
Old 1st November 2011, 03:23   #909
Distinguished - BHPian

And, as usual, non-one is slowing down or showing any patience, which the weather and wet roads demand, simply for safety if not for civilised behaviour.

It's making me wonder how long I actually want to go on driving!

If we used the car every day, that would be different, but, to the extent we do go out, taxi/auto would go just as well. Might even walk more! <blush>
Old 1st November 2011, 09:41   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
Might even walk more!
A good option normally and something I have started using a lot after selling my bike last year, but not advisable in this weather. With most roads (or atleast the left extremes) waterlogged and non-existent footpaths, there is no space to walk and if at all you dare to, be prepared to get drenched by the water splashed by the speeding biker/car/bus.
Old 1st November 2011, 11:29   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
... but not advisable in this weather. With most roads (or atleast the left extremes) waterlogged and non-existent footpaths, there is no space to walk and if at all you dare to, be prepared to get drenched by the water splashed by the speeding biker/car/bus.
and not to forget open manholes which are camouflaged by the stagnant water...very dangerous.
Old 1st November 2011, 11:47   #912
Distinguished - BHPian

Ah, yes ... there is all that.

I'll just have to stay at home then! :
Old 1st November 2011, 12:17   #913
BHPian

I have not been taking my car out off late as I stay close to my office in Pallikaranai on weekdays, but yesterday drive from my house in Annanagar to Pallikaranai turned to be a nightmare coupled with my bad sinus.

I was stuck in the Aminjikarai traffic all the way till chetput station over bridge for around an hour. I left home at 10 AM, when I reached my office in Pallikaranai, it was 12:30 pm.

What a waste of fuel, wear and tear of the clutch, mental tension... My heart beats faster at the very thought of taking the car into the city, also with heavy rainfall looming large, it would be difficult to take the bike instead of the car.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 1st November 2011 at 12:18.
Old 1st November 2011, 13:16   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
My heart beats faster at the very thought of taking the car into the city, also with heavy rainfall looming large, it would be difficult to take the bike instead of the car.
I have stopped taking the car to office ever since the metro rail work started on the OTA - Saidapet stretch. I discarded the old rain gear and spent Rs 2.6k to buy new ones for me and wife as soon as the rains commenced. So it is bike to office everyday, rain or shine! Fortunately there will be no water logging on my stretch.

That was the case even before I bought the car, and it continues now! Sigh! Remember the adage "Kalyanam panniyum bramhachari"?

Last edited by Gansan : 1st November 2011 at 13:24.
Old 1st November 2011, 13:21   #915
Senior - BHPian

Some reasons I see for traffic-jams increasing during rainy season are :

1) Water-logged roads, especially the left extremes, which are normally harmless to drive over, but could be potentially hiding an open manhole - so all riders/bikers crowd on the lane close to the median.
2) Those who have cars, but normally use bikes, switch over to cars during rainy season - leading to more traffic congestion. Can't blame them though, since riding a bike in rains comes with its own set of issues.
3) With the weather being awesome, people tend to oversleep, adding to rush hour being even more crowded.

Given the above, the only way to beat traffic is to leave home a bit earlier than you would on sunny days. Yeah, leaving the comfort of the bed is tough, but it sure beats sitting in the car going nowhere in heavy traffic later on.

Left home around 8:10AM today and reached office on OMR at 9AM - traffic was just so-so and timing was not bad for a 20km run through the city. If I instead had left at say 9AM, the commute would easily have taken 1.5hours or even more.

P.S.: When the Baleno was new, I used to go against normal logic and bike to work during rains to avoid dings/dents that could be caused due to the skidding bikes and rear-ending by cars that could not brake in time due to rains & wet roads.

Most Viewed