Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 17:21   #916
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Talk about planning!! The need for flyovers at multiple junctions on this road, that too arising just within 2-3 years of completion
Imagine the Anna flyover was constructed in 1973. There is no future in mind when it comes to roads or railway construction.

Still cant understand why we need Mono rail as well as metro.

I for one want the following in the next 2-3 years and last two in the next 5 years.

- Flyovers in Perungalathur, Pallavaram, saidapet -all the way to LIC.
- Subway in Perungalathur
- 6 lane in Chennai Bangalore highway
- 6 lane in Krishnagiri - Coimbatore highway,
Old 1st November 2011, 18:13   #917
Senior - BHPian

^^^
wishful thinking..

The price of electing people without any qualification, but cinema leads us to the above..

a plan on mount road from lic to kathipara non stop was scrapped a decade ago because of some moron..

And I do not believe the chennai metro or mono rail is going to help improve traffic on the roads.
Old 1st November 2011, 18:45   #918
BHPian

Adding to the wish list -
A flyover on OMR at the first signal from MadhyaKailash.
Dreaming about a metro or monorail along the OMR too.
Old 1st November 2011, 20:49   #919
BHPian

Guys, first off, we need to make mount road and other arterial roads signal-free; starting with nandanam.
Old 2nd November 2011, 02:05   #920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajaar View Post
Guys, first off, we need to make mount road and other arterial roads signal-free; starting with nandanam.
I don't think it will be possible with in 10 years. They have to finish the metro rail first. As mount road is dented due to rain, it will be nice if they look into it immediately. I found the road condition in mount road near Guindy and near ABT Maruti are horrible. I felt I was driving a tractor like driving in Ritz, near race course side of Guindy station. Thoraippakkam Pallavaram stretch is ok.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:47   #921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Imagine the Anna flyover was constructed in 1973. There is no future in mind when it comes to roads or railway construction.
I am told the original proposal was construction of flyover from Nandanam till Thousand lights. The Government then later backed out to the current form probably because India did not have the expertise. Wish the government had not backed out then.

The current government is not known to be pro-Infrastructure. Dont know what is going to happen with all the Metro/Mono/Flyover projects.

Last edited by DWind : 2nd November 2011 at 10:48.
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:50   #922
BHPian

Actually this is too early to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
The current government is not known to be pro-Infrastructure. Dont know what is going to happen with all the Metro/Mono/Flyover projects.
The mayor is new but I hope he is fully aware of Chennai. I am saying about Chennai not about the state. Yes indeed the duty of maintaining the roads belongs to officials of govt. It is also duty of us to complain about the poor infrastructure. The OMR is supposed to be well maintained as the toll fee is is charged. But the margins, joints to connecting roads and OMR itself can not sustain for huge traffic and heavy roads. The toll fee is not justified with this lack of infrastructure.
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:50   #923
Senior - BHPian

Earlier, it was the barricades on OMR that impeded traffic on a road that was built to ease traffic in South Chennai. Now that they did away with it (thank God for that), the new fetish is to block flyovers at night - I guess they do this sometime after 10 or 11PM by putting barricades at the entrance to the flyover.

Yesterday while returning home late at night (actually it would be today 1:30AM), I see the Cenotaph Road flyover blocked with barricades, for a reason I cannot fathom. So, you have to take the level road, which given the rains is a mess. And further down, the access to Gemini flyover is blocked from GN.Chetty road side. Anyone knows what is the rationale behind this use-flyovers-only-during-day line of thought of CCTP ?

BTW, the roads are fast giving way to a network of potholes and craters. I wonder how the contractors manage to build the road such that it lasts exactly till the next rains.
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:32   #924
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it is the six inches of tarmac thing: various inches end up in various pockets, and only half an inch is put on the road.

With a proper foundation and surface, our roads could last five to ten years, and side roads even longer. Surely this would be more cost-effective than annual surface replacement? Monsoon is no excuse: other countries get heavy rain too. Some get it all year!

Along with proper building, the roads need proper rain-water drainage too. Nobody seems to have thought of this, even on the most recent of Chennai roads.

And then there is ...maintenance. Chennai is about as good at maintenance as I am at housework, standing in the midst of a dust-covered, messy room, muttering, "But I'm sure I cleaned this room!" Last year!

The great Street Cleanup looks to have been, as I feared, a one-off post-election celebration. This week, we are back to garbage everywhere.
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:48   #925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Earlier, it was the barricades on OMR that impeded traffic on a road that was built to ease traffic in South Chennai. Now that they did away with it (thank God for that), the new fetish is to block flyovers at night - I guess they do this sometime after 10 or 11PM by putting barricades at the entrance to the flyover.

Yesterday while returning home late at night (actually it would be today 1:30AM), I see the Cenotaph Road flyover blocked with barricades, for a reason I cannot fathom. So, you have to take the level road, which given the rains is a mess. And further down, the access to Gemini flyover is blocked from GN.Chetty road side. Anyone knows what is the rationale behind this use-flyovers-only-during-day line of thought of CCTP ?

BTW, the roads are fast giving way to a network of potholes and craters. I wonder how the contractors manage to build the road such that it lasts exactly till the next rains.
If you remember a year back velu military hotel?? owners son and a pillion rider hit the parapet of the adyar flyover(drunken driving) and one of them fell over from top and died.After that incident they have been barricading all flyovers at night.
cheers
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:24   #926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR

If you remember a year back velu military hotel?? owners son and a pillion rider hit the parapet of the adyar flyover(drunken driving) and one of them fell over from top and died.After that incident they have been barricading all flyovers at night.
cheers
No offense to you. But I also read about people crossing railway line, getting hit by train and losing their life. Why the hell is the government not stopping the train service as such?
Old 2nd November 2011, 18:50   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran View Post
Adding to the wish list -
A flyover on OMR at the first signal from MadhyaKailash.
Dreaming about a metro or monorail along the OMR too.
Wont be enough mate. You need one more at sholinganallur. Its miserable during peak hours and the auto guys make it worse.
Old 4th November 2011, 00:20   #928
BHPian

On the topic of flyovers blocked at night, The MIT flyover in Chromepet gets blocked for film shooting on many nights.
Old 4th November 2011, 10:19   #929
Senior - BHPian

The IT corridor could be renamed as IT-Waterway - already quite some stretch in front of TIDEL Park is water-logged. Around 9AM, there seemed to have happened some serious accident near the Indira Nagar overhead walkway on TIDEL Park side - possibly involving a biker - traffic was at a standstill on that side.

Whether most of the new flyovers in the city serve their intended purpose or not, they do help bikers in staying dry during rains. And ofcourse to be used as parking space.
Old 4th November 2011, 12:56   #930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
No offense to you. But I also read about people crossing railway line, getting hit by train and losing their life. Why the hell is the government not stopping the train service as such?
Flyovers help in reducing the traffic blockage at junctions. When there is hardly any traffic after 11pm what's the need for them?

Even the multi-laned roads like beach road. wider parts of Mt.Road are converted to single lane in the nights to reduce over speeding. For us it may be just one life lost, but for the authorities and families concerned it's multiple procedures/headaches after an accident.

Last edited by Daewood : 4th November 2011 at 12:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks