Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2012, 22:27   #1081
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

@Thad -The new bridge is from the indira nagar junction, joining in OMR. This is the road through kasthuribai nagar in adyar which joins in OMR just opposite to the madhya kailash temple. By the way the new bridge is operational new, with just a small hiccup of a single lane at the point of connection, very convenient and reduces the travel time to adyar.Heard land acquisition there has delayed things and hence the bridge hasnt been formally opened to traffic.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 08:36   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahead View Post
4. Come down the flyover, take left at Ambika Appalayam stores, 2nd right, st down the road towards the Kasturibai Nagar MRTS station, follow the traffic to get into the OMR/ Rajeev Gandhi Salai.
Not go straight at Ambika Appalam junction and take a left turn at Madhya Kailas where OMR starts? I would have thought that to be a lot better (you get to cruise down the OMR instead of the ill-lit and chaotic Kasturba Nagar roads).

Further, I sometimes find TTK Road > Kotturpuram > Madhya Kailas to be better than via RA Puram > Adyar. You could give that a try.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 10:13   #1083
BHPian

@ Thad- yes Sir , the same one. Sorry for the late reply.

@ Bala- Correctly pointed Sir.

@ Binand- I stay in Gandhi Nagar. So will try this option also. Thanks for pointer.
Old 30th March 2012, 12:32   #1084
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
By the way the new bridge is operational new, with just a small hiccup of a single lane at the point of connection, very convenient and reduces the travel time to adyar.Heard land acquisition there has delayed things and hence the bridge hasnt been formally opened to traffic.
I heard the same. I don't know why they don't get all this land aquisition stuff sorted at the beginning of a project. I think same is happening with Metro Rail: if they don't know they have all the necessary land and clearances, the whole project could get stalled for the sake of one pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Not go straight at Ambika Appalam junction and take a left turn at Madhya Kailas where OMR starts? I would have thought that to be a lot better (you get to cruise down the OMR instead of the ill-lit and chaotic Kasturba Nagar roads).
It can take a while to make that short journey, with the final bit being the worst. However, it is what I do, simply because I have not thought of discovering and using the new bridge yet.
Old 30th March 2012, 13:02   #1085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I heard the same. I don't know why they don't get all this land aquisition stuff sorted at the beginning of a project. I think same is happening with Metro Rail:
Few areas where the same issue creates a lot of problem.

1) Right from perungalathur when you enter irumbuliyur junction there is a tea shop and a row of houses and marriage hall that just converts 3 lane to 1.5 lanes and back to 3 lanes.

2) Saidapet is still a hard nut to crack. Why cant they just move one lane towards the saidapet bus stand and create space in the lanes towards chennai.

3) Pallavaram bus stand. 3 lanes merge into a 1.5 lane and then back to 3 lanes.

4) Immediately after exiting airport 3 lanes merge into 1.5 lanes and back to 4 lanes as well.

These junctions are exactly like the way it is for years. Amma needs to take some strong decision and create better traffic space in Chennai atleast in anna salai and NH45.
Old 30th March 2012, 15:22   #1086
Senior - BHPian

With Metro diversions being the talk of the thread let me share my experience.

Every day I have to find a way through the increased traffic on Anna Nagar 18th avenue due to the one way on Ring road on my way to my kid's school.

Then on my way to office I would have to navigate through the diversions at Poonamallee High Road near Nehru park until I reach the Spencers Jn. to again take the diversions at Anna Salai Metro constructions to reach my office at Royapettah. I have to do the same Jugaad while coming back home.

But the best thing is I take the same amount of time in the morning and may be 10 minutes more while coming back.
Old 2nd April 2012, 22:26   #1087
Senior - BHPian

I travelled from Medavakkam to T Nagar on Sunday.I did not cross Nandanam. I took South Usman Road(CIT Nagar) and after some time took right and and left reached Dhandapani street, Burkit road then Venkatnarayana Road and reached Nallis parking. I did some shopping and returned via Venkatnarayana Road,Nandanam Right signal and took the usual road Saidapet,Velachery and Pallikkarani. The travel was like a travel in a state high way. No much traffic only slowed or stopped in signals only. Sunday city of some areas are good.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:57   #1088
BHPian

Today morning on my way to office, there was an accident on the velachery -pallikaranai road before the new bridge over the Kamatchi memorial hospital. I saw huge crowd gathered and there was an ambulance 108 attending to the injured.
However, one thing that i do not like is once there is an accident people who drive around almost slow down block the traffic behind to just watch what happened and to know whats going on.
This is really irritating as i always feel if we cannot be of any help at that place it is better to go away so that you are never an hindrance for others.
Old 11th April 2012, 11:35   #1089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, one thing that i do not like is once there is an accident people who drive around almost slow down block the traffic behind to just watch what happened and to know whats going on.
I think the eagerness to see what happened is just a human tendency. Just that in other countries you can be arrested for blocking traffic they dont do.

WWE or even Titanic(atleast i watched to see the disaster than the yucky love story in it) has massive following for the same reason. People like to watch disaster, blood, gore or anything that they have not tasted on their own.
Old 11th April 2012, 13:40   #1090
Distinguished - BHPian

Happens, inded, all over. ISTR that in UK it's called rubber-necking.
Old 11th April 2012, 15:38   #1091
Senior - BHPian

High alert! Tsunami warning issued after a severe earthquake that occurred in the ocean off Indonesia this afternoon. If it comes, the tsunami is expected to hit within three hours - 5.00 P.M. today. So please don't venture near the sea. Please inform your dear ones.

The quake was felt in Chennai as well.
Old 11th April 2012, 15:42   #1092
Senior - BHPian

USGS has informed that the chances of tsunami happening is less now but best to remain cautious.
Old 15th April 2012, 00:13   #1093
BHPian

Don't know if this is right thing to post here - Mods: please delete this post if you find it unsuitable.

I am planning for a trip to Trichy, Tanjore over the next weekend. With petrol prices pinching me so hard, I would like to ask if any diesel car-owners would be ready for a car-swap over that weekend? Btw, mine is an Alto!

Last edited by callvvijay : 15th April 2012 at 00:15.
Old 20th April 2012, 10:02   #1094
BHPian

Is there any way to get down from Chennai Byepass near the mogappair west? An year back this access point to get off from chennai byepass was there, before its official opening. Need the latest updates.
Old 20th April 2012, 10:55   #1095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Is there any way to get down from Chennai Byepass near the mogappair west?
There is...keep left after the first 'flyover' which comes after the Poonamallee High Road interchange. Exit before the second 'flyover' , keep going forward on the side of the road, and take a right U-turn under the bye-pass (which will now become the elevated portion over Ambattur Estate). Then you can take the first left, or the second one which will lead to the DR Super market of Mogappair West.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks