Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2017, 20:06   #2956
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Chennai police aren't too serious about out of state vehicles except big expensive cars registered in Pondy, whereas for the bangalore RTO every outstate car is a huge revenue opportunity.
++ to this. I have been driving a KL reg car in this very neighbourhood for the past 5 years, no issues regarding registration so far.

They will target you for every ticketing drive, and make you pay even if you havent committed an offence, but the specific issue of registration is not usually bought up

On another note, getting NOC and re registering is supposedly not as hard as it is made out to be

Last edited by greenhorn : 8th December 2017 at 20:07.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 20:13   #2957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
On another note, getting NOC and re registering is supposedly not as hard as it is made out to be
Both very easy and straightforward, you can do it yourself. It is the next part about getting your tax back from the previous state that is the killer.

RTOs love taking your money and they will make it as easy for you to pay as they can. What they absolutely hate is refunding money to you. Keep that in mind.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 20:23   #2958
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I may move to chennai anytime
I see your location is Hosur. So first thing is you be prepared to shell out 10-25K for rent, depending on what you want out of the apartment.

As long as you don't have basement (i.e underground) parking and the entry is raised from the road, you should be fine. Flooding is not a yearly happening. As greenhorn says, Pallikaranai and Medavakkam areas are what used to be Pallikaranai Marsh, that said Nungambakkam and Kodambakkam are former lake areas too.

Knee deep water on big rain days (> 200 mm) are quite a norm. Would most likely drain off by next day. This year had one such day, last year had none. On the next day, many offices were either off, or mostly work from home. Schools are off for anything > 60 mm

Regarding your car, if you intend to move permanently to Madras. Please hold on till your car crosses 1.5 years and get an NOC, if you intend to re-register. As much as possible, you can look at selling in Bangalore.

Your kid is still 3.5, so I won't be too worried about school.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2017, 20:49   #2959
BHPian

Thanks all for your valuable inputs!! helps me to make a decision! Just one more OT question. Are the school fees exorbitant like BLR schools or reasonable, within 60k per year?
Old 8th December 2017, 22:56   #2960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for your valuable inputs!! helps me to make a decision! Just one more OT question. Are the school fees exorbitant like BLR schools or reasonable, within 60k per year?
Depends on which school you pick. St.Michaels in Adyar is good and around what you want. Most other schools aren't. Quite a haul from Thoraipakkam though 13km ++ down the OMR.
Old 11th December 2017, 18:53   #2961
Distinguished - BHPian

Slightly OT: I need to go from kodambakkam to the domestic airport on Thursday evening at 7 pm. Would Vadapalani metro - Airport metro be the best option? Do I need to change lines at Alaandur?
Old 11th December 2017, 22:39   #2962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Slightly OT: I need to go from kodambakkam to the domestic airport on Thursday evening at 7 pm. Would Vadapalani metro - Airport metro be the best option? Do I need to change lines at Alaandur?
Just take Uber. You have quite a walk ahead of you from the metro to the airport terminal so if you are flying and have luggage, may not be the best option.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 04:44   #2963
BHPian

Quote:
Just take Uber. You have quite a walk ahead of you from the metro to the airport terminal so if you are flying and have luggage, may not be the best option.
Haven't they provided lifts and trolleys right at the Airport Metro Station just for this purpose ? I mean they should have kept in mind people taking the metro to the airport with their luggage. If not, I think it simply does not make it a viable option to take metro to the airport, unless you are going to pick someone up and return via taxi.

I guess domestic airport may not be a big hassle since the luggage may be less and also it is closer to the metro station. However to get to International terminal, it is better to catch Uber/Ola as it is a big long walk from the metro to the International Terminal.
Old 12th December 2017, 06:30   #2964
Senior - BHPian

On that topic - https://www.google.co.in/amp/m.times...w/58769236.cms

15 minute walk to the terminal from the metro station. Lots of talk but zero action about providing travelators, shuttle etc.
Old 12th December 2017, 10:38   #2965
BHPian

Quote:
On that topic - https://www.google.co.in/amp/m.times...w/58769236.cms

15 minute walk to the terminal from the metro station. Lots of talk but zero action about providing travelators, shuttle etc.
This is really surprising. What is the point of "Upgrading" the Chennai airport when a basic facility such as accessibility to the terminal is not in place . Its great that there is a cheaper means of transport to get to the airport. But whats the point if I can't get into the terminal without huffing and puffing? Talk about making Indian airport terminals world class without proper accessibility.
Old 12th December 2017, 11:03   #2966
tud
BHPian

Quote:
OT - I may move to chennai anytime because of personal issues. My office is near One Magnum,Thoraipakkam. If this happens, I would need your help on which place to settle down. I have 3.5 yrs old kid. Here are my priorities:
Answering based on your priorities:

1. Less or no water logging areas. Adyar, Besant Nagar, Thiruvanmiyur
2. Near to school for my kid. Adyar - CBSE (Shankara, Hindu, Bala Vidya Mandir + there is Kendriya Vidyalaya in IIT and CLRI campus)
3. Good neighborhood. This is a must, as i am now paying the price for not deciding on this in my current place. Besant Nagar is close to the beach, Adyar has places of worship, movie screens, good eateries. Thiruvanmiyur has a beach and is your entry point in to ECR. Adyar and Thiruvanmiyur are well connected by public transport.
4. Reasonable rent and rental advance. A 2BHK with car park will cost between 15 - 25K. 3BHK will come up to 30K.

If rental amount is not a problem, I'd suggest Mylapore and Mandaveli too. Its a mix of Old Madras and New Chennai and will check all your priorities.

Now for a first hand knowledge on rentals based on areas I've mentioned, log in to Adyar Times website, go to the classifieds page and look out for rentals.

Avoid brokers - You'll waste a lot of time if you go through them. A lot of house owners advertise on Adyar Times as well as other online portals. Sulekha and No Broker are good ones for rentals searches.
tud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 21:12   #2967
BHPian

It is really frustrating to travel towards Chennai Airport from Pallavaram side. The signal is so poorly planned that a green signal would mean it would create a traffic jam for vehicles both entering and exiting the airport.
Old 21st December 2017, 20:24   #2968
Senior - BHPian

There was a terrible jam near Anna university, had to wait for about half an hour for some VIP to pass! there was even an ambulance struck in this chaos.

Any updates on what was happening or if it was necessary?
Old 7th January 2018, 12:48   #2969
tud
BHPian

Friends, I have to travel from Adyar to Guduvanchery for the next 3-4 months wrt work. I tried driving, it doesn't take much time, but takes a toll on the mind and body.
I'm thinking the best alternative would be to take a two wheeler to Guindy railway station and then take a train to Guduvanchery. And repeat the same on my way back.
Is there any other way which could be less taxing or time saving?
Old 7th January 2018, 12:57   #2970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tud View Post
I'm thinking the best alternative would be to take a two wheeler to Guindy railway station and then take a train to Guduvanchery.
Cheapest way yes. Or see if your company has a staff bus on this route.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks