Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2010, 10:48   #481
Senior - BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Gansan: That would set you back by 5-6 km additional I think, via Mangadu/Kundrathur/Pammal.
Is it so? I have to check it out.

If you enter GST from bypass at the Tambaram side, there is one more option. Instead of reaching Chromepet to access the radial road, there is a functional subway beneath the under construction Tambaram flyover through which you can enter the Tambaram - Velachery road. This subway is for light vehicles only. This route may be a little roundabout, though.

Last edited by Gansan : 8th December 2010 at 10:53.
Old 8th December 2010, 11:44   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This subway is for light vehicles only. This route may be a little roundabout, though.
This Subway (Magic box subway?) though useful is usually waterlogged because of absence of proper drainage. Each lanes have walls in between which does not allow you to turn back in case if you feel your car cannot make it. Use this only if you are pretty sure of your cars ground clearance. Would suggest using the new flyover built at Tambaram Sanitorium station and coming back and joining the Velacherry Tambaram road just after MCC.
Old 8th December 2010, 11:58   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
This Subway (Magic box subway?) though useful is usually waterlogged because of absence of proper drainage. Each lanes have walls in between which does not allow you to turn back in case if you feel your car cannot make it. Use this only if you are pretty sure of your cars ground clearance. Would suggest using the new flyover built at Tambaram Sanitorium station and coming back and joining the Velacherry Tambaram road just after MCC.
In such circumstances it would be simpler and shorter to proceed to Chromepet and take the Radial road flyover.
Old 8th December 2010, 12:19   #484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This subway is for light vehicles only.
Yesterday, this subway was closed due to water-logging!

Any easier way to go from Medavakkam to Perungalathur without having to cross at Tambaram? (Railway crossing takes a lot of time!)
Old 8th December 2010, 12:47   #485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any easier way to go from Medavakkam to Perungalathur without having to cross at Tambaram? (Railway crossing takes a lot of time!)
If you are proceeding towards GST via Velachery - Tambaram road, take a detour at Poondi Bazar to enter Bharata Matha Street (to your right), proceed till you reach the MEPZ flyover near Sanatorium station and climb it to reach GST road bang in front of MEPZ. Then double back towards Perungalathur. Total detour will be approx 2.5 KM. But you will have good, clear roads.

PS: This junction will come a little before you reach MCC while coming from Camp Road side.

Last edited by Gansan : 8th December 2010 at 12:48.
Old 8th December 2010, 13:30   #486
BHPian

Quote:
If you are proceeding towards GST via Velachery - Tambaram road, take a detour at Poondi Bazar to enter Bharata Matha Street (to your right), proceed till you reach the MEPZ flyover near Sanatorium station and climb it to reach GST road bang in front of MEPZ. Then double back towards Perungalathur. Total detour will be approx 2.5 KM. But you will have good, clear roads.

PS: This junction will come a little before you reach MCC while coming from Camp Road side.
An alternate road is use the Medavakkam - St Thomas mount road to reach Keelkatalai - Pallavaram-Thoraipakkam signal, turn left reach the overbridge and left to chrompet, Tambaram
This might be lengthy but timewise it would be shorter than the sanatorium /MEPZ. There are lot of bottlenecks even to reach the Bharata Mattha St from Medavakkam.
Old 8th December 2010, 13:53   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
From my side I showed him a wave of appreciation am sure he deserved more than that.
Way to go Srikanth

Most of us whether we yell on the road or not, all fail to appreciate, which is not the case in US (again, over there, they over do it)

Has anyone observed that people on two-wheeler are more afraid of getting water splashed on to them rather than dangerous driving. Do people think their life is much cheaper than getting dirty?
Old 10th December 2010, 10:12   #488
BHPian

Got this as an e-mail forward. Scary to see that it happened on the OMR.

Nothing to lose by staying a little more cautious.

================================================== =====

Hi Friends,

This is the incident that happened to me last night(7th Dec 2010) around 10:30 -11:00 pm.

I left my office at around 10:15 pm and was going alone in my car, some 2 persons were following me without my knowledge. I reached near Jain College at Thoraipakam Junction and heading towards toll plaza, suddenly I heard a big sound like somebody scratched my car or dashed my car.

I came down from the car to see that there was a big scratch, I was about to enter into my car suddenly 2 people came and stabbed me on the back of my head. I didn’t understand what’s going on.

One guy started hitting me badly on my face with his fist. The other guy took a big professional knife(which I saw only bad guys using in Movies) and wanted to stab me in my abdomen but I resisted him and held his hand. I was scared that he might not stab me with that knife.

In this mean time another guy came and snatched my bracelet and my Bluetooth from my shirt pocket. He was about to take my Mobile phone from my trousers then I found a wooden stick with which I beat him very badly that it broke.

In this mean time a person coming in a Santro car knowingly or unknowingly about to dash the 2 guys with his car then those 3 people left me and ran off on their bike with no number plate to my surprise.

I lost my Bracelet and Bluetooth, I got several scratches on my face, hand and abdomen. My shirt was torn.

The one thing that amazed me is there were some 20 people near to me all watching what’s going on and none of them came to help me or at least didn’t asked me what happened. None of them were bothered.

My friends let me tell you something to avoid these kind of situations that happened to me.

1)Don’t work in your office till late night, if it’s inevitable then better book a cab and go safely.
2)If you are going in your private vehicle and especially car, don’t stop it and most importantly don’t get down from the car in dark places.
3)If you find anything happening in front of you just try to help them in whatever way possible.

Today it happened to me, tomorrow it may happen to you, so be cautious.

================================================== =====
Old 10th December 2010, 10:19   #489
BHPian

Sorry to hear this, however how come this happened in OMR?? I thought OMR was well lit up and well civilized.
Did you try to call someone for help??
Old 10th December 2010, 10:40   #490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Sorry to hear this, however how come this happened in OMR?? I thought OMR was well lit up and well civilized.
It didn't happen to him, he got it as an email forward.

Anyway when did this happen and was there a police complaint lodged? How come we saw nothing in the papers?

A tenant in our apartment complex works for TCS and comes home by scooter via Radial road everyday, around 3.00 AM. He apparently does not find it unsafe.
Old 10th December 2010, 10:55   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
Quote:
It didn't happen to him, he got it as an email forward.

Anyway when did this happen and was there a police complaint lodged? How come we saw nothing in the papers?

A tenant in our apartment complex works for TCS and comes home by scooter via Radial road everyday, around 3.00 AM. He apparently does not find it unsafe.
It happened to some one working at HCL. There is no further mention about the police complaint or the mysterious Santro that supposedly saved him.

Also, 10:30 to 11:00 PM on the OMR is not when everyone is sleeping. These put the genuineness in question.

It pays to be extra cautious anyway.

Last edited by para_7k : 10th December 2010 at 10:57.
Old 10th December 2010, 14:01   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
Also, 10:30 to 11:00 PM on the OMR is not when everyone is sleeping. These put the genuineness in question.
The fact that it happened in a not so ungodly hour, in front of people (atleast twenty as per the posting), and very close to the police station and in front of Police outpost (the thorapakkam junction has a police post) makes me feel that there is more to it than just mugging if the incident happened as reported in the first place.
Old 10th December 2010, 14:18   #493
BHPian

Hard to believe. We have atleast 40-50 Sumo's operating @ 10.00 PM and 11.00 PM shifts in that route. OMR is dangerous for jay walking and not mugging.

Anyway an eye opener to all late night drivers. Drive with your doors locked and never get down.
Old 10th December 2010, 15:54   #494
BHPian

10:15pm(2 weeks) and 2:30AM(2 weeks).
These are the timings i usually leave my office and cross the toll booth in my bike.
10:15pm: I always find the roads very busy at this timing so not sure how this incident would have happened.
2:30AM: Definitely not deserted but have to be cautious. These kind of incidents may be possible.

If people coming in cars can be mugged,what about the bikers?
Quite scary,As most of the people commuting from OMR are IT people and will carry atleast any or all of the items below:
Gold ring,chain,bracelet,costly watch and mobile phone,laptop,Wallet with credit card and debit cards.

I will better carry an alternative costume while commuting back to home.:-)
Old 10th December 2010, 16:38   #495
Senior - BHPian

I find it hard to believe that that HCL guy got mugged on the OMR at 10:30pm. It's not so deserted at that time. I got a forwarded mail almost a month back, and it was also supposed to be originated from HCL. Maybe just coincidence, or some serious rumormonger at work.

OMR is not lit all the time. Not even a single streetlight was glowing when it was raining last week. OMR is not sooooo civilized too. You can find all species of animals on the roads, including the two-legged kind which ride on two-wheeled contraptions and four-wheeled contraptions. Riding/Driving in between this chaos is tedious.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks