Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 07:53   #496
BHPian

re: Traffic and life on the roads in Chennai

I'm in HCL and admin has forwarded this to all employees to caution all those using OMR.
Note that, the culprits have watched and fixed the target and followed on till OMR and executed their shot. Had he traveled on some other outer roads, there too the incident might have occurred. Its not that OMR is problem.
Old 13th December 2010, 11:08   #497
BHPian

Past the time limit to edit. Hence new post...
Another news today. An auto rickshaw was rented by four members on Saturday night. On reaching Thoraipakkam, the auto driver was assaulted by the gang. The auto driver passed out and when he was woke up on Sunday morning, he missed his Auto, cell phone and some cash.
Old 13th December 2010, 14:41   #498
Senior - BHPian

and there was also a news of a sub inspector's son, working in a software concern who was killed and whose body was found today on the stretch between Thoraipakkam - Tambaram, the stretch which was recently inaugurated and which still does not have any street lights.

More frightening is the fact that nothing valuable was taken from him even though he was wearing some gold it seems. Is Chennai going the other metro's way too in terms of safety?
Old 14th December 2010, 13:53   #499
BHPian

Is there is small car electrical accessories shop (just the bulbs, antenna, audio set ) in OMR with electrician? I need to fix/replace my car audio's antenna..
Old 14th December 2010, 14:52   #500
Senior - BHPian

2 days back:

There is a new signal which has come up on the Kalakshetra road in Thiruvanmiur when it joins LB road. It is for an extremely short duration (about 10-12 seconds), so people invariably end up waiting for 2-3 turns.

I was waiting at the signal and was the third person in line. By the time I came to first, the lights had turned red. There was an old gen CRV behind me and he tried to jump the lights by going through the wrong side but the traffic on the other side had started and he ended up creating a jam because he was stuck on the wrong side. We made eye contact and he requested me to move over. I tried what I could to prevent a jam and the guy somehow managed to come in front of me and go when the lights turned green next. By the time he went, the lights has again turned red. I was waiting again. A guy in a Wagon R behind me comes over and the following conversation ensues:

He: Move forward
Me: Signal is in red, cannot move forward
He: The signal does not work
Me: It does, I saw it go from Green to Amber to red and back to green
He: How could you allow that guy to go in front of you
Me: Because I did not want to be stuck in the mother of all traffic jams
He: So now jump the signal, or you will be creating another
Me: No, a jam is never created because people wait at signals it is because people jump them
He: At least move over, I will go
Me: I can't do that. If you want, move yourself, or try to fly over my car

Signal turns green and I move off. Now, I might have done a mistake by allowing the CRV guy to go through, but I thought that if he is not allowed to go, then a big jam would have been created and thats why allowed him to go. What do you guys think?
Old 14th December 2010, 15:01   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
and there was also a news of a sub inspector's son, working in a software concern who was killed and whose body was found today on the stretch between Thoraipakkam - Tambaram, the stretch which was recently inaugurated and which still does not have any street lights.

More frightening is the fact that nothing valuable was taken from him even though he was wearing some gold it seems. Is Chennai going the other metro's way too in terms of safety?
I know this person and we feel it as a case of enmity for this murder. I don't want to speculate more as it is still being probed by Police. These roads are gone to dogs.
Old 14th December 2010, 15:11   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
2 days back:

There is a new signal which has come up on the Kalakshetra road in Thiruvanmiur when it joins LB road. It is for an extremely short duration (about 10-12 seconds), so people invariably end up waiting for 2-3 turns...

Signal turns green and I move off. Now, I might have done a mistake by allowing the CRV guy to go through, but I thought that if he is not allowed to go, then a big jam would have been created and thats why allowed him to go. What do you guys think?
Do you mean to say that you reversed your car a bit to make room for the CR-V? If the CR-V was on the wrong side, how could he get to your side just like that? Sorry, I don't really get the picture.

But what you did is right if that CR-V would otherwise cause a jam.

I liked the last line of your dialog with the WagonR guy - fly over me if you want to go
Old 14th December 2010, 15:25   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Do you mean to say that you reversed your car a bit to make room for the CR-V? If the CR-V was on the wrong side, how could he get to your side just like that? Sorry, I don't really get the picture.

But what you did is right if that CR-V would otherwise cause a jam.

I liked the last line of your dialog with the WagonR guy - fly over me if you want to go
Thanks

There was actually no divider on the road. I had a little space to my left so I moved over a little to the left. Also, I allowed him to go over first when the signal turned green which is why I could not make it before it turned amber.
Old 14th December 2010, 18:47   #504
BHPian

I believe it is a bad move by Chennai Traffic Police to create a signal there. Ideally the Kalashetra Avenue road should be made one way with only entry from LB road permitted. Please think about the plight of anybody crossing the Thiruvanmiyur(TVM) signal either from TVM bus stand, other side of LB road (from SRP tools). They just had to wait for eternity to signal turn green, brave the bus stop, traffic merging from TIDEL park junction, traffic near Jayanthi theatre and in 50 metres they have one more signal to cross.
Old 14th December 2010, 18:56   #505
Senior - BHPian

The plight of those crossing the Thiruvanmiur signal at any time of the day is sad indeed. There are a lot of such signals coming up. For example there are new signals coming up on the ECR too. People dont even bother to stop at these signals and the people who do stop are honked till they get mad.

Making it a one way sounds feasible at least in theory. Maybe they should just try to see if it improves the chaos that prevails in that area.
Old 14th December 2010, 20:10   #506
Senior - BHPian

One way? How many people know what a one-way is? For them it's just a fancy sign, or travel only in one direction when a cop is present.

When my office was in TIDEL Park, I used to brave the Tiruvanmiyur signal every single day of the week. The mudheads manning the signal have scant regard for pedestrians, and we have to run for our lives in the small 3-5 second gap between the traffic from LB Road towards SRP stopping to the traffic from Tvmr depot to LB road reaching the Hotel City Gate side. It's impossible to cross when traffic is on from TIDEL towards Tvmr depot as many many vehicles take a left towards LB Road and I would end up stranded at the middle of the road.
Old 14th December 2010, 21:30   #507
BHPian

Good job Arvind

My encounter today. This man kindled my bad senses today.

I was on my way back from work driving on the OMR. Here comes my man, a bus from a leading IT company honking and tailgating endlessly.

I don't drive beyond 50 kph on the OMR and usually stick to the right lane. After his repeated honk, I moved to the left lane and singalled him with my hand to pass.

Apparently, it was a stopping point for him too and he pulled over. I just continued and was still in the left lane.

I encountered a barricade and a share auto stopped as he wished. I had to switch to right lane. This bus was again behind me but well behind.

I turned on my indicators and was about to make my lane change when this guy came as close as he can and honked my head out.

Dang! I was in 4th gear doing 35 kph. I down shifted to 2nd, turned on my high beam, honking and stepped on the gas. I was driving like a tiger let loose from its cage. In exactly 3 seconds, this guy was not even seen in RVMs.

He had a taste of what a 92 bhp/ton wimp can do to him.

I met him again on the Thoraipakkam pallavaram road and he was again behind me (I noted the reg no). He did not honk and never attempted to overtake.

I regret driving like that but I at least he got my message that big is not as big as he thinks and small is not actually small

Last edited by para_7k : 14th December 2010 at 21:34.
Old 15th December 2010, 10:42   #508
BHPian

Sorry guys - a little OT here. "traffic and life on the road in chennai"'s favorite son aargee said he would not be logging in here any more. Its no longer fun without aargee. Signature campaign getbackaargee.com needed!
Old 15th December 2010, 13:17   #509
Distinguished - BHPian

aargee is certainly wanted back by his neighbours on this street, yes
Old 16th December 2010, 16:43   #510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Sorry guys - a little OT here. "traffic and life on the road in chennai"'s favorite son aargee said he would not be logging in here any more. Its no longer fun without aargee. Signature campaign getbackaargee.com needed!
jeez. what happened? aargee do come back.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks