Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 16:22   #1
BHPian

PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Today morning I read an article in Times Of India, Pune edition about air pollution which was accompanied by some numbers (see attached image). I was shocked to see such alarming figures - much higher then the standards.

In order to keep the pollution under check our govt has made it mandatory for each vehicle to get an emission check done and get a certificate - PUC certificate. But does this really help in controlling the pollution?
I have many times seen the PUC certificate vendor - spotted on roadsides - checks the vehicle, if the emission is well within range - its OK. But even if the emission is outside the specified range he STILL issues a certificate saying " saheb servicing karwa ke lo". The point that I want to drive is - this check and certification is to control the pollution and not just to avoid fine or just for the sake of formality.

We being auto enthusiast should create this awareness within our group as well as outside the group. How many of us remember the date of expiry of current PUC certificate and get it renewed on time ?
Attached Thumbnails
PUC - Pollution Under Control ?-pollution_pune.jpg  

faridsahmed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2009, 17:26   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridsahmed View Post
.......I have many times seen the PUC certificate vendor - spotted on roadsides - checks the vehicle, if the emission is well within range - its OK. But even if the emission is outside the specified range he STILL issues a certificate saying " saheb servicing karwa ke lo". The point that I want to drive is - this check and certification is to control the pollution and not just to avoid fine or just for the sake of formality......
I agree.

The emission checker at a petrol pump I went to a couple of months ago was about to issue me a certificate without doing the test but I insisted he did it. According to him, as long as the car is not more than two years old, the emission levels are likely to be within the limits.

Another reason for his reluctance was that he was watching a cricket match on a small TV in his cabin.
Old 20th November 2009, 17:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread. We need to understand that these guys are not regulated and this is their business.
Look at it practically, if he is upright and honest and refuses to issue a certificate the motorist gets it done elsewhere.
Old 20th November 2009, 18:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

PUC is just a gimmick and an easy way to extract money from public.
I have seen that the emission analyzers are not calibrated properly or not in proper working condition , but still they issue PUC.

I see the autos in cities like Bangalore, the 2 strokes engines emit smoke like fogging machine. It not only causes air pollution but terrible noise pollution also, why is that not being checked that is also a pollution.
Similarly high intensity lights badly maintained reflectors also & deafening shrieking horns are also a source of pollutions. Why is that not being checked.

I remember in Dubai every year the car needs to under go a registration process in which car is tested for road worthiness. Vehicles failing the fitness test are to be rectified properly else it won’t come on road.

I feel such practice should be adopted here in India also. This way people will be forced to maintain there vehicle in good condition and it will be a win- win situation for the society at large.

The only loop hole in adopting this system is the corruption in all our RTO’s :(
tj123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2009, 18:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Nice thread. We need to understand that these guys are not regulated and this is their business.
Look at it practically, if he is upright and honest and refuses to issue a certificate the motorist gets it done elsewhere.
Aren't the charges payable for performing the test anyway (whether the test shows that the certificate may be issued or not)?
Old 20th November 2009, 18:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

I dont' know about you guys but there were many ocassions when the PUC guy popped my car's bonnet and adjusted the idle settings on my car's carb.This was when i used to get it tuned at a really sad mechanic who did not knew his job very well.(Thankfully i no longer use his services).After the adjustment i always used to find the engine dying at idle rpm speeds now and then forcing me to run towards the above mentioned person's garage.
Old 20th November 2009, 18:47   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
The emission checker at a petrol pump I went to a couple of months ago was about to issue me a certificate without doing the test but I insisted he did it.
Thats strange as here in bangalore the software is responsible for fetching the PUC data from the analyser as the fields in the software are not editable and even if the emission checker decided to issue a certificate he will have to write down everything with pen in that certificate
Alter_Ego is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2009, 19:01   #8
Senior - BHPian

Mmmm... has anyone thought anything about those trucks / heavy vehicles that ply on our roads spewing smoke like those insecticide-smokers? Aren't they contributing to the pollution, or is the government only bothered about private vehicles???

So, it is not really about the pollution, but just the money.
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2009, 20:21   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Thats strange as here in bangalore the software is responsible for fetching the PUC data from the analyser as the fields in the software are not editable and even if the emission checker decided to issue a certificate he will have to write down everything with pen in that certificate
Maybe he was planning to do it that way! I finally got him to actually do the test, so it was ok.
Old 20th November 2009, 22:45   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
Maybe he was planning to do it that way! I finally got him to actually do the test, so it was ok.
That was really great on your part.We Indians are great at following mob mentality.
Let us, the team-bhpians, be the mob and let the remaining people follow.

I guess if each of us does these simple and sincere things the infection will spread soon and India will be a better place to live in.
Old 20th November 2009, 23:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have mentioned this in the 2t oil thread, but it will be relevant to mention this here again -

I had not gotten a PUC done for my Suzuki Shogun for years. I have always known that the emissions would be well within limits, as I keep it in great shape. However, I wanted to back this up with an actual test and also I had to pay a fine couple months ago for not having a PUC certificate. Hence got the test done. It was done at the IOC bunk on Karve Road (Poona).

The readings:
CO = 0.6%
HC = 900 ppm

Now the funny thing is the limits as mentioned on the certificate for vehicles of this class is -

CO - 4.5%
HC - 9,000 ppm

And this is the limit mentioned for current 4-stroke 2 wheelers -

CO - 3.5%
HC - 4,500 ppm

What kind of joke is this? A pre-2000 2 stroker, which has been phased out due to emission norms pollutes FAR less than the limit of a current 4 stroker??

The values in the certificate are hand written. While the guy was doing it, I told him to fill in the values exactly as shown on the screen as I'm more interested in the readings than doing it as a formality. He said even if I did not tell him that, he would have to fill in only what is displayed on the screen. Thats good... if he ment what he said. But I really wonder how accurate the equipment is...

This PUC business definitely seems to be a big scam just to show that something is being done in the name of pollution. Fact seems to be a lot of people, right from the PUC testers to traffic cops are making a lot of money with that excuse.

Last edited by Raccoon : 20th November 2009 at 23:57.
Old 21st November 2009, 08:54   #12
BHPian

Actually we people ourselves - all - so called literate people - behave like dumb when see an opportunity to save few bucks. Recently my office had arranged for a PUC check up program in the premises at a very nominal charge - just to encourage all employees to get a valid PUC. But the whole purpose was defied. The vendor was handing out PUC certificates without even checking the vehicles !!!!! On the top of it - he even issued certificates for vehicles of wives & children at home !!!
IMO, this is a two fold problem.
One - the vendor is just interested in money making is least bothered about his job. He should be made accountable/punished by the authorities. This may out out of our hands :(
Two - The people taking PUC from him need to understand the crux of the matter and active responsibly. if your vehicle is not passing the emission norms - then its a wake up call - u need to take your vehicle to a service station !!!
faridsahmed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2009, 15:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hmm... and its not always like you can just take your vehicle to a garage and get the problem solved. The reason why I got such low readings is because I do or can get done stuff myself. Left only to mechanics, you can be absolutely sure the emissions will be higher...

I believe equipment should be such that the certificate, readings, photos, are all done in real time, as the probe is inserted in the exhaust. This will make things more difficult for issuing false certificates. Otherwise all this is a pure hoax made to fleece people.

Last edited by Raccoon : 21st November 2009 at 15:16.
Old 21st November 2009, 16:11   #14
BHPian

Even if the certificate is properly issued the cops only check the date of expiry of the PUC.They not concerned about anything else.Even though you might be driving a locomotive.As long as its PUC has not expired they cannot get their palms greased.
So its checking the date of expiry all the way for the indian traffic police
Old 21st November 2009, 17:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

^^^ What?! Wont they at least match the vehicle number?? If they don't then I can just get one PUC certificate for all my vehicles...

Most Viewed