Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2009, 15:56   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Those readings are definitely suspicious. How old is your bike?
My bike is 4 yrs old but has done just 15K Km only. It is maintained very well with regular service. I am getting a consistent mileage of 56-58 kmpl on Bangalore city roads.
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:03   #32
Senior - BHPian

It is a different story here. I take my bike for half yearly emission checks to an IOC bunk near the airport (Shanthi Petroleum). If some vehicle does not comply, I have seen that fellow come out and adjust the air screw settings of the carb to make it comply. If it still does not, he sends them gruffly away telling them to get the bike serviced first.

It is the authorities who don't enforce the norms here. I have never been checked for PUC certificate in Chennai even once. Whoever gets the certificate does so out of his own interest. But I had been checked for the certificate quite a few times when I lived at Bangalore for five years.

Last edited by Gansan : 22nd December 2009 at 16:04.
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I guess they will botch up the carb tunning even though they may be getting the PUC within range at idle. Carb tuning takes lotta time and a tachometer.

I have only been asked for a PUC couple of times (when on bike) till now. I did not have it. Most times you can get away by paying a small bribe. I see quite a few 4 stroke bikes, emitting visible smoke everyday. It is even more apparent on highways. I guess these guys get away the same way. Some even remove the catcon for apparent performance gains and change in exhaust note.

Sad show!
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

I thought that everyone agreed to the fact that like many other regualtions, this one is just another to take money from public.
Old 22nd December 2009, 16:55   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ I guess they will botch up the carb tunning even though they may be getting the PUC within range at idle. Carb tuning takes lotta time and a tachometer.
I agree. Since it is a computerized report, I guess if the values fall outside the parameters it will not be possible to generate a certificate. So he is only interested in adjusting the idle/air screw to try and accomplish this, and the tuning will go for a toss. But to be fair he takes the permission of the owner before he attempts this. Some will refuse and ride away. But you will be surprised to see how many of them agree to this!
Old 22nd December 2009, 17:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Since most people will not know anything about carb tuning, they will obviously agree, under the assumption that the PUC guy will know the job. But I fear wrong tuning by the PUC guy may actually make the vehicle pollute more in actual use, cause reduced performance and possible engine damage.
Old 22nd December 2009, 18:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

If the vehicle shows low HC levels then it can be safely assumed that the vehicle is lean tuned, giving better mileage. However pickup and ride quality might get compromised.

Long back some environmental NGO tuned my scooter a Bajaj Super , after that it was giving very good mileage figures.
Old 4th October 2010, 20:23   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Emisson test process revamped ?

With both my vehicles requiring emission tests, headed out to the neighborhood bunk for the test. Was pleasantly surprised with the process- unlike the earlier cursory stuff where they went through the motions, the test center did a more elaborate testing.

Couple of pics : the temp guage connected to the engine :
PUC - Pollution Under Control ?-emission1.jpg

the Tacho :
PUC - Pollution Under Control ?-emissiontacho.jpg

After quite a bit of revving, the probe was inserted into the exhaust to do the testing. While the Ikon flew through it, and with hardly any visible smoke, the Sumo took two rounds before it got through.
Old 5th October 2010, 00:14   #39
BHPian

Forgive me for going OT.

Just to expand the discussion of this topic a bit more -
Here, in the U.S., the car license plates need to be renewed every year. And every alternate year, starting from the 3rd year of car's year of manufacture, you need to get the car checked for emissions before you can renew the license plates. The emission test is conducted only at the DMV centers.

Can't we have a similar system in India where there's no need to go to a PUC checking station at each petrol bunk every 6 months? After all, do the newer cars really pollute so much that they need to be checked every half-yearly?

AFAIK, individual car/bike owners are much more proactive in maintaining their cars/bikes than these autowallahs and taxis.
Old 5th October 2010, 13:40   #40
Senior - BHPian

^^^IMO making owners of today's cars go for a PUC check every 6 months might not be necessary, but it can be argued that it is necessary for 2 wheelers. While cars have FI and are electronically controlled, the same is not the case with 2 wheelers. Most mechanics and owners do not tune vehicles properly. Also, 2 wheelers seem to have higher emissions than cars.

As for individual owners being proactive in maintaining their rides, it isn't so simple. Most don't give 2 hoots to pollution. Also some get bright ideas like removing their cat cons, etc. Many don't even know that their rides are badly tuned.
Old 14th December 2011, 08:05   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Was back at the emissions test center on MOnday. The procedure has changed a bit. We now get an SMS with the results.

Quote:
Vehicle KA-xx-x-xxx is Passed emission test, with certificate no. D--------- valid till 11-06-2012. Commited to Reduce Pollution:Transport Department,Karnataka
Old 18th December 2011, 07:22   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Emission test without checking exhaust from exhaust pipe ?

Following the Ikon's emission test last week, I got the Sumo also checked, but at a different location. While this guy also entered my details into the system, I did not get any sms.

But what I was surprised is the difference in the procedure this guy used. He took out the oil dip-stick, and inserted a probe into this pipe. So now, instead of the dip stick, the probe was in touch with the engine oil.

PUC - Pollution Under Control ?-emissionoilsensor.jpg

The white 'wire' you see here - one end was 'inside' the engine, in contact with the engine oil. The other end went to the testing equipment.

He then worked the acclerator to get the engine running at different RPM's, and finished the emission test. The Sumo apparently is clear. And he did not go even close to the exhaust pipe.

So how did he do the Emission test without checking exhaust from exhaust pipe ?
Old 6th April 2012, 12:18   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Emission test without checking exhaust from exhaust pipe ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So how did he do the Emission test without checking exhaust from exhaust pipe ?
Condor, Emission test without checking exhaust from exhaust pipe is an emission test measured by free acceleration method. The result should be less than 50 Hartridge Smoke Units (HSU).

I'm attaching a PDF with some info on free acceleration method.

Part-04_Chapter04.part1.rar

Part-04_Chapter04.part2.rar

I was going through info on such tests, and chanced upon your query, and hence this bumping up reply.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 16:18   #44
BHPian

A funny incident happened with me some years back. I just stopped at the start of a flyover to get the PUC done for my 6 year old TVS Victor.I asked him the cost at which he will do the check. He was charging more but still as I was out of my last PUC done period. I told him to do. He took out a long black rubber pipe with a metal nozzle at its one end and inserted it into my bikes muffler.The other end of the black rubber pipe was going somewhere between the rear wheels and below the Maruti Omni Van in which his Exhaust gas analyzer equipment was there. where He told me to accelerate a bit so that I can get the correct readings. I did so but due to some reason I felt the rubber pipe will be pinched by the rear wheels of the Omni and so I pulled the rubber pipe a bit side ways and to my utter surprise what I found was a shock! The other end of the rubber pipe was just lying between the rear wheels of the Omni. It was not connected to any equipment whatsoever! After that Incident he got to hear a lot of music from my side and when I told him I will complain this to the authority, he was ready to do my PUC at throwaway prices which I offcourse refused.In earlier days the reading used to be displayed on the meter and the PUC guy used to write it manually on the PUC certificated. Nowadays the test values are automatically printed on paper.
Old 7th April 2012, 01:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
In earlier days the reading used to be displayed on the meter and the PUC guy used to write it manually on the PUC certificated. Nowadays the test values are automatically printed on paper.
No such thing. At least not is all/most outlets here in Poona. One more shocking story just few days old - was at this bunk and guy comes up to me and asks if I want to get PUC done. I said yes, and went near his machine. Then he point blank asks me if I really want to waste time actually doing it or can he just give me the certificate. This has happened to me many times before, so I wasn't surprised. I asked him, any extra charge for just giving the certificate? He says no! Anyway, I obviously told him to do it the proper way as I would very much like to know the true readings. In any case my bike would pass the test with flying colors, which it did. Once it was done, I ask him till when hes open as I have another car for which I need a PUC. Again he point blank tells me why I want to waste time and effort in bringing the car? He says just tell me the number and he'd give me the certificate right away without even seeing the car.

This whole PUC business, like a lot of other things in this country are a huge scam. It is simply a means to milk and further harass the poor harrowed commuter by the traffic cop and of course to generate income for people who have set up shop with their bogus PUC tests.

Shame on India!

Last edited by Raccoon : 7th April 2012 at 02:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks