Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 02:31   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: PUC - Pollution Under Control ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The worst part is the validity which is only for 3 months. They should atleast increase it to 6 months...
In Kerala too, it's 6 months. This should be standard across India atleast for private owned vehicles which mostly are well maintained. They could do a 3 month validity for commercial vehicles though, or for the ones which have crossed 5 years or so [commercial vehicles / taxis etc again]!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
...1) Driving license, i showed them the duplicate, they wanted the original. I showed the original.

2) Car documents. No photo copies accepted....
Was these just photocopies or attested versions? I was caught by KA police 2 months back where the MVI was rejecting all plain photo copies from a lot of drivers & had absolutely NO issues with my attested photocopies of DL & car docs!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 3rd October 2012 at 02:33.
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:11   #62
BHPian

Can you pls let us know the attestation authorities who are approved to do this for car papers? Like Bank Managers/ Govt gazz officers or need to do it from RTO office only.

This info will help a lot.
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:29   #63
Senior - BHPian

Unless the Pollution under control is achieved by Goods carriers and Public transport (= buses, autos etc) - there is no point doing all this activity.

The private vehicles are in most cases the least polluting vehicles - and surprisingly traffic police targets only the private vehicles!
What a SCAM.

Last edited by alpha1 : 3rd October 2012 at 12:32.
Old 3rd October 2012, 12:40   #64
BANNED

@alpha1; What about the White Marias of the govt. I bet 90% them will fail.
Old 20th February 2013, 11:04   #65
Senior - BHPian

PUC validity for new cars is 1 year now!

If you have bought your car or two-wheeler after March 31, 2010, you will not have to queue up to get the emission level check of your vehicle every three months. While making emission norms stringent for all vehicles manufactured to conform to Bharat Stage 4 (BS4) -- and registered on or after April 1, 2010 -- the ministry of road transport and highways has increased the validity of pollution under control certificate to 12 months.

Source: http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-...1-1014046.aspx

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 11:18   #66
Senior - BHPian

The PUC for a new car is valid for a year, that has been the case for a while now. The PUC taken from an ETC has different validity in different states, Karnataka has 6 month validity and if your ETC is an authorised one, you get a message from the RTO with you PUC number.

The Karnataka RTO website has a list of ETCs authorised by them, it also lists whether they do petrol/diesel(both) vehicles also.
Old 20th February 2013, 12:32   #67
Senior - BHPian

Per reports in today's newspapers the time period for private vehicles (read cars) PUC's validity will now be :

1. For vehicles registered on 1st April 2010 and thereafter :-
A] One year for new vehicles
B] Once a year thereafter

2. For vehicles registered up to 31st March 2010
A] 3 months in New Delhi NCR & any other state, UT where the period is the norm
B] 6 months in states, UT where the period is the norm
Old 8th August 2014, 15:27   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Per reports in today's newspapers the time period for private vehicles (read cars) PUC's validity will now be :

1. For vehicles registered on 1st April 2010 and thereafter :-
A] One year for new vehicles
B] Once a year thereafter
Sadly not the case, at least here in Ranchi. Just got the PUC for my bike which was registered post 01/04/2010. The validity is still 6 months. The PUC for my car which was registered way before 2010 in 2002 is also valid for 6 months.

One good thing that I noticed today is that now they need the vehicle to be present for getting the PUC. Yes, you read it right. Previously, one could get a PUC only by the registration number by just paying 50 bucks! So, now they photograph the vehicle during testing. But the test is just a hogwash. Just put the probe near exhaust for a second. No revving and all. So, still it is just for revenue collection, not for the environment. Now the worst part; there is only 1 PUC test center in the entire city and that too is located in one of the most congested area of the city. Taking a 4 wheeler there is a task in itself.

Why don't they authorize fuel stations to carry such checks (like in most cities) where it is convenient & accessible to public and also eliminates the corruption?
Old 11th August 2014, 12:00   #69
BHPian

Here in Pune I don't see anyone handing out PUC's with a photo of the vehicle. Is this PUC valid if I travel to another state. It looks like a handmade receipt.
Any idea where can I get one done which has the photo also?
Old 17th August 2014, 20:12   #70
BHPian

'myavu', 'avira tk', 'khoj', you have given me something to fight with the transport authorities about ! Just like in 'saket77's Ranchi we are still getting all PUC certificates for six months in Calcutta and as far as I know, the rest of Bengal ! Looks like our state government did not revise the WBMV Rules according to the Gazette Notification.

'saket 77', according to the Central Motor Vehicles Rule # 115, "...the vehicle engine (under testing) shall be running at idling speed..." after at least 15 mins' run in normal traffic condition. So for an accurate testing, the engine should NOT be revved at all. Revving is done when the "revver" wants to fail the "revvee" in the pollution test, as, under acceleration the emissions will be higher.

The older emission analysers which just showed the readings of CO and HC, and the certificate had to be filled up by hand, were always open to misuse -- you did not have to even take the vehicle to be tested, if you could bribe them !
So the new 4-gas analysers ensure the vehicle's presence by printing a photo of the registration plate on the certificate itself, and measure not only CO and HC, but CO2, Nitrous oxides, oxygen (high reading shows leak in exhaust system), engine RPM, oil temp, etc. The odometer reading is also recorded, and the exact time of test.
The only way you can get a false certificate is if the PUC Centre has tampered with the software, a risky job for them as it can be reported !

If your vehicle fails the test, you can adjust the settings (possible in carburettors) or a mechanic can do it for you then and there. If you still fail, you are supposed to get a Rejection Report which gives you 15 days' time to do the necessary repairs and come for a retest. This may vary from state to state. But generally only older bikes and cars may fail, and they send you away without charging anything.

Last edited by SnakemanJohny : 17th August 2014 at 20:21. Reason: Omission of information
Old 17th August 2014, 21:14   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
Is this PUC valid if I travel to another state
PUC issued by any Govt. licensed testing centre is valid throughout the nation. We don't have state wise pollution regulations for automobiles.

For eg. my cars are PUC tested/certified in Kerala. When traveling to other states cops have accepted the PUC and never created a fuss about it.

The following link should clear all your PUC doubts -
http://lawgic.info/the-law-on-pollut...-puc-in-india/
Old 15th January 2015, 08:41   #72
Senior - BHPian

Bumping an old thread.

My Punto's PUC expires by this coming weekend. The place where I normally do the PUC refused to do the PUC saying diesel vehicles testing isnt cost effective, he prefers PUC for petrol vehicles only. To counter his denial I got some material from the thread and attached as below from the link which @ajaypjayraj provided.

Quote:
Who is authorised to conduct a PUC test?
The persons conducting the test should hold a minimum qualification of certificate in Automobile Engineering or Motor Mechanics issued by Industrial Training Institute of Government of Maharashtra and should also know the procedure for minor adjustments/repairs with which the pollution levels can be brought down, without affecting overall performance of the engine.
Can I challenge his setup since I know he definitely doesn't have an automobile background leave apart the engine hands on experience. Can any Thaneite suggest a good PUC testing facility? The one I referred to is the BPCL petrol bunk at Majiwade, Thane
Old 16th January 2015, 09:17   #73
BHPian

I havent got my car's PUC done for last 1 year (its going to be 2 years old this May). the whole PUC is a scam when a car is Euro IV , III compliant how can they be the source of pollution?
the ones who are the primary cause of are never caught or fined.
Old 16th January 2015, 09:25   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Can I challenge his setup since I know he definitely doesn't have an automobile background leave apart the engine hands on experience.
Any reason to challenge him / his setup ? Will it be better than going to any other testing centre ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
when a car is Euro IV , III compliant how can they be the source of pollution?
True. BUt by not testing .. are a good source of a fine
Old 20th January 2015, 13:58   #75
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, I took my GT TDI out of Karnataka borders into Kerala at the beginning of this year on a road trip. Though I had carried all the required docs for my car, I was stopped at the checkpost by the cop and asked to produce all the docs.

I did not have the Emission Certificate/PUC for my car and calmly informed the cop that the car was only 6 months new The cop acknowledged the same through the RC Smart card and let me through.

So I have couple of questions:

- Was the cop right in letting me through ? I mean, was I right in guessing that a new car will not require an emission test for the first 1 year ?

- Can any of the Bangalore folks suggest a good place for getting the PUC for my 1.6 GT TDI, preferably towards South Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks