Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2011, 12:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Things that irritate/distract you while driving

I used to get irritated earlier but not anymore after hearing some horrible road rage stories in Bangalore. Not worth it. Anyway these are some which irritate me most

a) A slow moving two wheeler or car on the right hand side of the road. Most of the time, it happens to be driven by a lady.
b) BMTC drivers' penchant for stopping wherever they feel like.
c) Auto fellows inserting their nose in the smallest of gaps!
d) Impatience on the road by so called "Educated class" driving in swanky cars
e) Not stopping to allow pedestrains to cross the road on zebra crossings
f) Honking when you clearly know the road is small and you just cant do much.
g) Sudden appearance of traffic cops out of the blue to catch you near signal when you inadvertantly take a free left turn
h) People changing lanes without indicators.
Old 11th February 2011, 18:45   #32
Team-BHP Support

People have posted most of the things that would irritate/distract one while driving.

For me, the one that pisses me off the most is the flickering LEDs that cabs fit on their bumper/antenna or on their number plate.

When they first became the "in" thing, they were banned by RTO because they were irritant to the eye, but they are slowly finding their way back and in bigger numbers.
Old 11th February 2011, 20:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

For me its the people standing on the dividers trying to cross. On city roads as well as NHs. It takes the focus off the road to the action on the side of the road. Don't know when someone will jump in front of you and force you to stop.
Old 12th February 2011, 00:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

1. Listening to music when driving through crowded roads and streets
2. Incessant honking
3. Bikers who think by twisting their body in odd fashions, that their bike is also twisting, and they can make it through narrow gaps
4. Someone tailgaiting you from behind very close
5. Vendors suddenly moving their carts across the road or in front of
6. Just when the signal turns green, you have either cows crossing, people deciding to cross, a biker/car guy trying to go from right to the left lane or his bike not starting after he switched it off
Old 12th February 2011, 00:56   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
when a mosquito or a fly gets into the car and you are just not at peace and end up rolling the window many a times trying to get ride of it ,very irritating
+1 - this irritates me the most too! Damn thing buzzing in front of your eyes, distracts you, irritates you, and possible endangers you and others on road when you swat it!!
Old 12th February 2011, 09:42   #36
BHPian

Things that most irritate me:
1. Vehicles changing lanes without indicators - they believe a lot in driving skills of those who come behind. Very optimistic, i would say.
2. I-Know-all Type passengers (who would instruct you when to change gears, how to overtake etc) testing your patience.
3. Honking continuously to make you jump the signals.
4. BMTC Buses trying to squeeze in small gaps in front of you.
5. Pedestrians who think that they can out-smart a vehicle travelling > 60 kmph, and decide to cross the roads at last minute.
6. Morons who come on wrong side and stare at you for not giving way - as if we are doing some crime.
7. On Highways - trucks travelling at similar speeds occupying both the lanes. If on Inclines, i kinda understand them, as the truck moving at slightly quicker pace cannot stop or slow behind as it would take ages for them to acquire that speed - still irritates you though.

Rgds... Karthik
Old 14th February 2011, 12:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
For me its the people standing on the dividers trying to cross. On city roads as well as NHs. It takes the focus off the road to the action on the side of the road. Don't know when someone will jump in front of you and force you to stop.
+10 to this.
The other things which irritate me are :
(1) When people (especially members of the fairer sex) do a ramp walk in the middle of the road, whether it be NH or City. In B'lore you see this a lot.

(2) I generally stop (not always) for people to cross roads since few years back I was also one without a car and know the pains in timing one's crossing. (Even otherwise one should stop for pedestrians, but hardly see that in India )

(3) Drivers from Bangalore will all hate the provision given for U turn every 200 meters. This is real crazy. You are on the right most track, suddenly you see a joker coming from left side, cutting your car and then trying to take a U. And this creature expects us to see his right indicator which (s)he has started when (s)he was parallel to you on the left side of your car.
Lost interest in driving in Bangalore during peak traffic. Takes 1 hr from Old Airport Road to Sarj-ORR junction.
And because of my stupid driving style of keeping left leg on the clutch ,always end up with a bad pain in my left ankle. I need to get rid of this really bad driving style ASAP.
Has anyone had this problem before and got rid of it?

Best regards,
BR
Old 15th February 2011, 20:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

1. Vehicle in front straddling both lanes.
2. Going very slow without any apparent reason and refusing to budge when honked from behind.
3. Cutting across the lanes at traffic signals when the light turns green.
4. Jay walking. I feel like advicing them to try rail track instead of road.

A few more, but couldnt recollect right now
Old 15th February 2011, 21:41   #39
BHPian

1. Auto drivers driving in higher gear while climbing any incline thus reducing their momentum.
2. Pieces of median stone removed to facilitate two wheelers to take a turn.
3. School vans / autos driving in the oppositte direction of the one way. The most prevalent is on the Hanumanthnagar 50 Ft. Road.
4. Auto drivers and two wheelers poking in from all possible sides in an intersection during a traffic jam.The worst affected area that I have seen is the back side of BMS College of Engineering in the evenings and at all times before 10 PM in Gandhi Bazaar area.
5. Two wheelers, autos, truck drivers (sand trucks) driving at painstakingly slow speeds (below 40 Kmph) on SH or NH. (especially at inclines)
6. Traffic chaos at Nayandahalli junction in the evenings.
Old 15th February 2011, 21:52   #40
Senior - BHPian

Co-Driver going blah blah continuosly...!! Wife and Mum included. I Just need to peacefully drive whatever the road/traffic conditions. Hate to talk when I drive, however long it may be. But, there are times when I have to talk over handsfree, wish I could avoid it...
Old 16th February 2011, 01:49   #41
BHPian

The only thing that irritates me are friends sitting pillion and giving expert comments like :
"Dude, why are you wearing a helmet when we just have to go to the shop hardly a kilometer away."
"The road is blocked. Do a thing, from the next divider gap, go on the wrong side and drive on the footpath."
"Can I drive?" (Most of them don't have a license, don't care about any rules either).
"Sab log signal break kar rahe hai, tu bhi chal na, koi nahi pakdega." (Everyone is breaking the signal, even you do the same".
Old 16th February 2011, 01:56   #42
BHPian

Things that irritate me the most while driving

1) Cycle walahs riding in the middle of the road
2) Passengers eating in my car while driving ( chips, fries, etc, etc)
3) when i am driving on the left side of the road and autos stopping suddenly for passengers.
Old 16th February 2011, 08:05   #43
BHPian

Things that put me off are :
Major irritants:
1)Cutting sharply in front to overtake. This really gets my blood boiling, since I dont mind anyone overtaking me, and no sedate driver myself.

2)Morons who drive with High beams and high powered lights with little regards for the drivers on the other side or in front(I use the side rear view mirrors, and the effect is the same)

3)In the city, Autos, Share Autos, and Buses of all kind who think they can stop where they like to offload or pickup passengers. These days the size and impunity of the share autos are only increasing.

4)Inside the vehicle, eating anything is an absolute no.

Minor irritants:
1) Bikes and cycles driving all over the place at their own pace
2)Pedestrians who care a damn while walking off the footpath or crossing the road. Mostly found that they are in their own world of music or mobile!!
3) Blaring and unconventional horns
Old 25th February 2011, 16:37   #44
BHPian

Well...this might be a new one...call me Mr. Quirky but anything, absolutely anything on the dashbord distracts me totally. Be it a small pin, the deck remote or my wife's humongous handbag, I just cant take it. The entire dash including the passenger side has to be clutter free.

Regards,
Old 26th February 2011, 16:52   #45
BHPian

Gentlemen,
Last Wednesday at the evening I was going to Kolaghat from Calcutta, a distance of approximately 65 KM on NH6 (Calcutta-Mumbai Road). After crossing the city suburbs, there were no more streetlights and the roads were dark, only being illuminated by the car headlamps. I was following one Tata Sumo, which had a highly polished rear numberplate. The numbers were inscribed on a very polished surface it was acting just like a mirror. After a few minutes I started feeling uneasy, as a consequence of the dazzling reflection on it, caused by my own headlamps. Even my eleven year old daughter, who was sitting in the front and my wife (sitting in the rear, who always tells me to drive slower) asked me to overtake that car. I was already making 90-95 KMPH and was hesitating at fast to drive any faster but soon another car crossed both of us from behind, which was making 110+ KMPH. It boosted my courage and I too decided to overtake the car in front.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas
Calcutta
rahul4640 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks