Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2012, 11:00   #46
BHPian

re: Things that irritate/distract you while driving

Slipping behind the wheels and hitting the highways for long drives are the best de-stresser for me but certain things can change this 'de-stresser' into a 'distresser'.
1) a slow moving bugger who has an empty world before him but will still not let you pass
2) small kids (including my son) who keep moving back and forth between the rear seat and the passenger seat
3) when someone stops right behind my bumper on a slope hardly leaving any margin and blarring away the horn at the slightest back movement of my car when taking off. you ought to have kept some space instead of bumping into my bumper
4) showing off (read honking) that you are in a hurry when you can see that there is no way the vehicle in front of you can give you any bit of space to overtake
5) parking on the left at road junctions and taking a sharp right turn immediately the light turns green (usually seen with 2-wheelers in city)
Old 23rd March 2012, 11:07   #47
BHPian

Any small sound from somewhere in the car distracts me greatly. I get a lot of those in my M-800. For example, if the brake squeaks, I would keep braking n trying to see if the sound still comes or it goes off. My mind will keep thinking of that.
Old 23rd March 2012, 11:26   #48
Senior - BHPian

Ah.. perfect thread

If it's not a mosquito/fly that's flying in front of me, it is my wife.

It irritates me a lot when someone keeps talking things which do not interest me at all, especially anything related to saas-bahu crap (Universal phenomenon). It affects the driving style, I tend to increase the speed in a desperate hope to get away from the irritating talk. I have found a solution that works, at least with my wife-

- Increase the speed, but down shift to third, make the engine sound really audible
- Couple of heavy braking (make sure no-one's behind)
- Wheel screeching while accelerating from speed breakers
- Basically, appear to be driving like crazy

This can get the required attention because many fear sudden acceleration and braking and not really the speed. Soon you will receive a request to reduce the 'speed'. You can do so on one and only condition that she should keep quiet till the destination. Works for me all the time.

By the way, nothing like Driving Alone on a road trip.

Last edited by clevermax : 23rd March 2012 at 11:41.
Old 23rd March 2012, 11:40   #49
Senior - BHPian

1. Any vehicle with high beam (especially Tata Aces whose beam directly point towards the eyes)
2. Sand/Gravel/Size-stone lorries, water tankers.
3. BMTC volvos applying sudden brakes and stopping in the middle of the road.
4. Vehicles which tail us closely with continual flashing and weird honking and trying to overtake from all possible directions.
5. 2-wheeler cruising at 20 kmph in the fast lane of highways.

But I get most irritated whenever a bus or lorry in front of me purposely driving on the mud at the sides of the road to avoid speed-breakers which leaves a cloud of dust behind which in turn spoils the looks of my neatly cleaned car in the mornings.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:39   #50
BHPian

1. Dusty interiors
2. Dirty windscreen
3. Bad wipers
4. Flies
5. A truck at 25 kmph overtaking another truck at 23 kmph!
6. Phone calls
7. Ash [Smokers would understand what a bad flick can do to your concentration ]

Last edited by ra'ul M : 23rd March 2012 at 12:41.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:57   #51
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Do NOT USE abusive language on this forum. Team-BHP has a STRICT stand against profanity, even if used indirectly.

We strongly advise you to read our board rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
And because of my stupid driving style of keeping left leg on the clutch ,always end up with a bad pain in my left ankle. I need to get rid of this really bad driving style ASAP.
Has anyone had this problem before and got rid of it?
Ideally your car should have a dead pedal and you should rest your leg on that. Given that it may not have one, see if there is enough space to have one installed after market and use that. Positioned at the correct angle, it will really help your leg because the ankle is not stressed.

Now on to the things that irritate me.

People who start horning at you to move when the countdown timer reaches about 5 seconds. Can't you wait 5 seconds for the light to turn green and then go.

People who are going straight and are on the extreme left side of the road. Now when the light comes for you to go left only and not straight, you cannot move because of one joker in front of you.

U-turns on the highway. How much more dangerous can it be than to be driving in the fast lane and then be forced to brake and take evasive action because someone is taking a U-turn. Spend more money and build off ramps and flyovers.

Jokers driving on the wrong side of the road, especially on a divided road. Stick to your own side of the road for gods sake.

Guys cutting across the span of the road to take a turn.

Kids sitting on the front seat with their parents. Do parents not have any brains that they are willing to risk their kids lives. Also, make sure you invest the money to get a child seat and put your child in it. No exceptions.

Back seat drivers. If you have a problem with my driving, either drive yourself of get out of my car. Your choice.

Surface of the moon roads that are prevalent in something like 90 percent of Karnataka. Why is it so hard for the government to actually build and maintain proper roads.

Highways that go through towns and permit construction along the side. This defeats the whole purpose of the highway.

Last edited by GTO : 27th March 2012 at 15:52. Reason: Use of profanity, even masked with **, is not allowed. Please go through our rules.
pganapathy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd March 2012, 13:42   #52
Senior - BHPian

Request/ commands from passengers to stop by at that A2B/Mc D/CCD.

Especially Her Excellency who throws an air as if these are their forefather's outlets. Also the munching noise of Lays/Kurkure.

Music. I prefer listening to that engine hum/turbo whistle.

Air conditioning that robs the punch off the engine.

Last edited by ramzsys : 23rd March 2012 at 13:44.
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:13   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Request/ commands from passengers to stop by at that A2B/Mc D/CCD.

Especially Her Excellency who throws an air as if these are their forefather's outlets. Also the munching noise of Lays/Kurkure.

Music. I prefer listening to that engine hum/turbo whistle.

Air conditioning that robs the punch off the engine.
These two are also valid for me. I used to think if it was only me who gets irritated with the munching noise and the smells of such food items.

By the way, is it okay to get irritated with such smells and sounds (while eating)? Please don't take it otherwise but then co-passengers also have a right to eat something while we drive.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:14   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra'ul M View Post

5. A truck at 25 kmph overtaking another truck at 23 kmph!

oh yes, this one is irritating, specially when you are on ghats !!

Ofcourse how can i forget the Rickshaws who drive as if its a V6 and try to overtake another Rick regardless its a plain surface or flyovers
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:29   #55
Team-BHP Support

1. I hate the horrible polish that the MASS guys apply on the dashboard even after repeated requests not to do so. The entire dashboard reflects during the daytime and becomes a major distraction.
2. Honking from behind when there is no space to go anywhere.
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:41   #56
BHPian

two things those irritate me the most:
1 - people driving at high beam.
2 - when i try to drive maintaining safe braking distance to car ahead of me, people cut into and take that place making me effectively tail gate them.
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:43   #57
Senior - BHPian

1) I hate the reflection of dashboard on the windscreen.
2) Long traffic jams.
3) Being squeezed in between trucks in slow moving/dead stop traffic.
4) The road romeos showing off their stunts on bikes in regular roads.
5) Pedestrians crossing the road when a speeding car is coming towards them on highways.
6) And as said above, trucks occupying all the lanes on the expressway in their tortoise vs tortoise race.
Old 23rd March 2012, 15:50   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

I see many people getting 'irritated' when they see a slow moving trucker trying to overtake a slower moving trucker and occupying all lanes. Now, what is he expected to do? Never overtake? Just so that everybody else can get to wherever they want to faster? Assuming he has made his lane change after checking his rear view mirrors. He will take time to pass, as his truck will go no faster even though he has got his pedal to the metal. I am sure if ever there was a forum called team-truckdrivers.com, and there was a thread on "what irritates you the most", the most common answer will be : Passenger cars honking constantly when passing another truck

As for what irritates me while driving? It is passengers telling me "why are you not honking?" when following two trucks, with one overtaking the other.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 23rd March 2012 at 15:51.
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012, 16:44   #59
BHPian

Ahhh Finally one thread.

ok here comes my list of distractions:

when the vehicles are overtaking me on Highway or City road, some people would be continuesly honking or Honk out of sudden when they are overtaking even they have enough road to go, i feel my self very much distracted when they do.

Also when i am driving and there are arguments in the car then i am distracted, i just stop the car and ask them to argue first.
Old 23rd March 2012, 17:13   #60
BHPian

Things that distract me are as follows:
1. Loud Music - doesn't matter whether its the music I like or not
2. Idiots driving with their high beam on continuously.
3. Those who tailgate and go on flashing their high beam and honking even though they can see there is no place to go ahead.
4. Seeing educated people throw stuff out of their car windows onto the roads. If the educated do not understand, then who will?
5. Trucks trying to overtake fellow truckmates on the ghats.
6. Eunuchs who touch the car and windows and leave stains while calling you an actor etc.
7. Guys waiting to go straight and blocking the left turn lane. Also fools who honk urging you to run the red light. I now always stop at a red light and wait even if it is 1am and let the guy behind honk as much as he pleases.
8. Stupid dazzling digital police hoardings displaying messages such as "Do not drink and drive" but I have always observed their messages are loaded with spelling mistakes.
9. Finally, the police havaldar penalizing a car for going on orange but not saying a word to the bus/taxi/richshaw who goes on a red light. This annoys me immensely. Why should they be allowed to go? Probably because the cop knows he is not going to get much money from the taxi/rickshaw/bus but will get loads from the car driver. Disgusting!!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks