Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2012, 23:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: Things that irritate/distract you while driving

My biggest distraction when driving are loose items that move around inside the car. And a dirty windscreen.

And as for pet irritants on the road:
- signal jumpers. And conversely, people who don't move when the signal turns green.
- people desperately trying to turn left from extreme right lane, and vice versa
- pedestrians jaywalking when the entire footpath is nicely laid out and empty!
Old 23rd March 2012, 23:51   #62
Team-BHP Support

- People on the road! Pedestrians just pour onto the road, and then saunter to the other side while crossing. It's highly irritating, and when you so much as honk, they give you dirty looks and walk ever so slowly. you're just forced to wait till they get to the other side.

- Pedestrians who dart across the road. Some of them slow down half-way, after assessing the traffic condition. Even if it would mean that the vehicles have to stop, they will walk slowly. What happened to the instant burst of energy with which they darted across?

- People driving/riding on the wrong side of the road. And when you express your displeasure, they're more than happy to pick a bone with you.

- Political parties bringing traffic to a halt, just because they want a clear stretch of road. As if the others on the road have nothing better to do.

- Parking woes. Almost impossible to find a a slot with shade these days. The Bangalore heat has managed to pierce a few holes in my 8 year old car's tints!
Old 24th March 2012, 12:13   #63
BHPian

- The immortals on Bangalore roads! The ones who drive their two-wheelers as if matter is transparent to them! And yes, since Darwin's theory of survival of the fittest is failing, and I don't see their numbers dying down here, they are indeed immortal!

- The car drivers, who, while over-taking on divider-less roads (or even roads with dividers in the case of Bangalore), do not give two hoots about some lowly two-wheeler coming from the other side. The world makes way for them!
adroit_91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2012, 08:09   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
- The car drivers, who, while over-taking on divider-less roads (or even roads with dividers in the case of Bangalore), do not give two hoots about some lowly two-wheeler coming from the other side. The world makes way for them!
This particularly annoys me more than the rest. If it wasn't bad enough that they're being indisciplined in their portion of the road, they want to do in it other's as well.

I take extra care to not cross the double/single yellow/white marked dividers, with obstructions being the only cases when I do.
Old 25th March 2012, 08:16   #65
BHPian

We also have the kings/queens of the road who watch the wrong side of the road while crossing a one-way road on foot!!
Old 25th March 2012, 08:24   #66
BHPian

The following annoy me the most-

1. Autos and Taxis without passengers moving too slowly either in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd lane
2. Trucks with drivers having no driving sense on NH 8 and on Yashwantrao Chavan E-Way. NH3 is much better I felt.
3. Double parking on roads (especially outside famous restaurants)

Cheers,
Yogesh.
Old 25th March 2012, 15:04   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

1) Two wheelers without rear view mirrors.
2) Two wheelers squeezing between vehicles at signals
3) People driving on the wrong side, especially on the highways.
4) Drivers jumping the signals
Old 26th March 2012, 14:51   #68
BHPian

As against most people here blaming autos and others (which is very typical of our culture), the most irritating thing to me is-

Drivers always try to get ahead of each other only to meet each other at next traffic light. Indian drivers always try to poke their noses into each other, very irritating.

Takes away my peace of mind and everyone else's too, because I feel as if i am always under mental pressure from the one following me.

Just take it easy, good for your mind, good for your car, and save petrol and time also.

Last edited by aerohit : 26th March 2012 at 14:54.
Old 26th March 2012, 15:44   #69
BHPian

1. Of course HIGH BEAM :(
2. Mosquito or fly in car.

Apart from this, incessant honking at traffic lights.
Old 26th March 2012, 16:30   #70
BHPian

All credit should go to PULSARIANS / PULSARS.

They started providing the insanely loud horn on their bikes and every manufacturer is now trying to raise the bar.

How I wish the manufacturer esp BAJAJ owner driving a car and letting a couple of trigger happy PULSARS behind him?

Isn't there any regulation to restrict decibel levels for motorcycles based on their capacity??
Old 26th March 2012, 17:00   #71
BHPian

1) The air noise, when co passengers have their windows down and I am driving at 100+
2) Someone honking from behind when I cant give him a pass at all, or there is a red light in front of me
3) When someone drives in the right most lane at less than 30 kmph and never gives a pass
4) Delhi registered cars changing their lanes at free will on Chandigarh roads!

Last edited by vivek_vt : 26th March 2012 at 17:02. Reason: grammar, adding content
Old 27th March 2012, 15:44   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat
I see many people getting 'irritated' when they see a slow moving trucker trying to overtake a slower moving trucker and occupying all lanes. Now, what is he expected to do? Never overtake?
Do see your point, but if the overtaking vehicle's speed is so low that it takes ages for it to complete the overtaking, isn't it better off following the vehicle in front ?
Old 27th March 2012, 15:55   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Do see your point, but if the overtaking vehicle's speed is so low that it takes ages for it to complete the overtaking, isn't it better off following the vehicle in front ?
He should overtake and he must overtake, he has the rights just like we have. I have seen very sensible truckers who allow vehicles behind to pass, and get a nice long stretch to overtake another fellow trucker who is moving little slower than him.

If I find such a truck overtaking another truck - where he possibly can - I will wait behind until he's done instead of honking like mad.

Last edited by clevermax : 27th March 2012 at 15:56.
Old 27th March 2012, 16:53   #74
Senior - BHPian

Usually nothing irritates me most of the time, like honking pulsar behind me (I roll up my windows and the noise reduces), or a speeding guy trying to overtake me (I safely let him pass, assuming there must be something urgent, even if i feel there shouldn't be). Usually i drive ~60-~80 and slower if there is traffic and try and follow lane discipline.

There was only one time every day when i had to drive fast and overtake folks, when i drop my daughter to school. Even that, these days is slow and steady affair (No she isn't taking bus yet, she gets up early and gets ready fast ).

Except one!

When i see folks not caring about life in general and it seems like they would rather kill someone to get to a place fast, when they very well see there are women and children on the road.

A phasing out generation not caring about well being of the future generation is the worst thing that can happen to a society.
Old 10th April 2015, 16:39   #75
BHPian

My pointers --

1. High beam headlights at night from the opposite direction cars. They do not even bother to lower them even after I signal with my light.

2. Auto-rickshaws and yellow cabs of Kolkata and their tyranny.

3. The very mentality of other drivers to over take me through the same side for which I just turned my turn indicators on.

Last edited by g_saunak : 10th April 2015 at 16:42.
g_saunak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks