Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2010, 17:03   #16
BHPian

On a lighter note.

Some time back while coming out of my college I had seen a Pulsar with a 'Polite' sticker on the rear mud guard and was intrigued. From far it seemed as 'Police'.

Ingenious way to avoid any police checks or need for showing a Police identity card when caught. Apparently even when police did stop the bike at check posts, they had a good laugh and let the owner go without a warning.

Mudit
Old 30th July 2010, 17:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
TB, allow me to share a first hand experience with you. We lived in GK II for almost six years (Sept 2000 to April 2006) & our landlord's son was a retired Army Officer. He had a red Zen, PB registered, with an Army sticker on it. I last met him in Dec 2009 & he was still driving that Zen.....and it still had the sticker. And I know for a fact that it is his personal car.
Thank you sir. Firstly, IMHO the discussion is about the flag, siren and star plate. So, the court martialled word was for that.

I said before "Army" word is wrong. It is UNAUTHORIZED. So, are GOI, Police etc etc. But in personal capacity at own risk you can do that. He is not authorized or vested with that power so no misuse of power. As far as law is concerned a defence personnel with ARMY written or a civilian with same marking have caused same amount of breach of law. Writing ARMY does not make someone from ARMY, and does not merit any special treatment, if at all they should merit.
Old 30th July 2010, 17:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

The picture used as a reference is rong and misleading. When a person from a party can paste his sticker on the number plate why cant a person from the army paste ARMY on the car?

I believe while driving through the country they get some perks if i am not wrong as they belong to the defence force. Thats something they deserve for serving our nation.
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2010, 18:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
The wrong thing I see here is that the plates should be coverd, flag taken off and siren kept inside/switched off when the person authorized is not present inside. Well, it can be taught to a defence personnel not to a civilian. The civilian driver here seems to be misusing the power.

If at all you feel offended and think its wrong you must report to police.
Dear TaureanBull,

You are right about the eligibility norms for an armed services officer. You seem to have taken this personally for some reason. The intent of this thread is to report rules being flouted by officials in public service on Indian roads. Whether it is being done by his/her civilian hired driver (assumption) is not the point here (IMHO ultimately its the responsibility of the officer since its his/her officially issued vehicle). Facts have been reported in my post as seen and I'm certain that they are wrong. I have a feeling you know it too & you make the points as well above. Lastly, I'm very familiar with the armed services too.

Cheers,
MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
2) There is already a thread running on this topic.
I wasn't aware that there was. Did check before I posted but nothing showed up. If this is the case, Admins please move this post to the appropriate thread. Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th July 2010 at 18:51. Reason: Back to back posts, please use multi quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 31st July 2010, 00:23   #20
BHPian

I agree with TaureanBull as to whatever he has tried to convey in his previous posts.

Adding to his comments, as per the norms in the Armed Forces, Officers of the rank of Brigadier and above are authorized to fly car flags and Star plates as per their entitlement on Staff/Private cars. The only misuse is when entitled officers wearing civilian clothes fly flags and/or display star plates in unofficial capacity. Coming to the Drivers of staff/private cars they must be instructed to cover the star plates and the flag when the entitled officer is not in the vehicle or travelling in it.

As far as writing 'Army' goes, I think its incorrect and should not be done. But then there are many people from various professions who do that i.e doctors, lawyers etc etc. I believe its just done to make use of certain privileges while travelling on our roads. But then, if you have sensible policemen, he can always ask the person driving an 'Army' stickered car to prove whether he is really in the Armed forces or not. Even being in the Armed forces still does not put you above the law. But you can still get some leverage here and there and I think that's fair for the job that they do for us. But then, to each his own !
Old 31st July 2010, 07:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually I feel bad that such a high ranked Army official can only afford a bashed up Santro, while the local corporators run around in SUVs.

I second that! our defense personals need to be treated well!
Old 31st July 2010, 08:46   #22
BHPian

Pune being Southern Command headquarters, it's very common to see all kinds of vehicles (2 wheelers/4 wheelers) sporting the 'ARMY' sticker. And these includes vehicles being driven by dependents (children/wife). The other aspect is registration plates from all across the country. Definitely there is some advantage during the regular drives to catch offenders driving out of state vehicles.

An interesting part is that these stickers are identical. I know the regular roadside sticker vendor probably duplicate anything you ask for, but I can't help wonder if these are provided by the Armed forces itself..
Old 31st July 2010, 19:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Pune being Southern Command headquarters, it's very common to see all kinds of vehicles (2 wheelers/4 wheelers) sporting the 'ARMY' sticker. And these includes vehicles being driven by dependents (children/wife). The other aspect is registration plates from all across the country. Definitely there is some advantage during the regular drives to catch offenders driving out of state vehicles.

An interesting part is that these stickers are identical. I know the regular roadside sticker vendor probably duplicate anything you ask for, but I can't help wonder if these are provided by the Armed forces itself..
To clarify, The defence personnel are authorised to use their vehicles through out the country without transferring the registration. He will go mad if he has to get it re-register at every place of duty.

Nice thought about the Armed Forces providing itself. BTW are people from Police or other such departments also provided from their department. You know you are accusing a department that it is promoting illegal activities.

BTW we all can discuss that how writing POLICE or ARMY can be illegal. It is discouraged in the forces but whats the legal view of traffic police/police I dont know. If some one can quote with the acts and all. Is that merely by writing this anyone would be deemed as an Army/Police person? If not then does not make a difference what you write. I have spotted few with PRESIDENT written over them.

These people probably want to distinguish themselves, so they write.
Old 31st July 2010, 20:38   #24
BHPian

I know a guy who had the "Army" sticker in his motorcycle. I asked him under what authority he put that up. His answer was that his dad was in the defence services and it made them eligible to use their personal vehicle anywhere in India without re-registering if they shift out of the original RTO. The sad part is, his dad was in the Army for less than a year and no longer related to the defence forces in any way now!

Slightly ; but similarly if either of your parent was in the defence forces, even if for a month and gets honorably discharged or retires, you get all the perks of defence kids, namely quotas into educational institutes, et al.
Old 31st July 2010, 21:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooney View Post
I know a guy who had the "Army" sticker in his motorcycle. I asked him under what authority he put that up. His answer was that his dad was in the defence services and it made them eligible to use their personal vehicle anywhere in India without re-registering if they shift out of the original RTO. The sad part is, his dad was in the Army for less than a year and no longer related to the defence forces in any way now!

Slightly ; but similarly if either of your parent was in the defence forces, even if for a month and gets honorably discharged or retires, you get all the perks of defence kids, namely quotas into educational institutes, et al.
Again a case of misinformation. BTW from where did you get this info? This is what you have heard. Right?

If some one normally continues in services he has to serve for minimum of 15 for soldiers and 20 years for officers to get the post service benefits. The exception to this is battle causalities. It means if a soldier/officer even on first day of service get hurts fighting battle and discharged on medical grounds then he will get benefits. In reality it would mean the person has become severe handicapped. Dont he deserve this much?

There is quota of 2% only for war widows/battle casualities/ex-servicemen. The reason for this is that a defence personnel keep moving place to place every 2-3 years. The postings dont care for the educational sessions. What quality of schools can you expect in distant areas? He has to run around every time he is posted to seek admission in a decent school/institute. The quota is for these categories to mitigate these problems and also to reward them for serving the nation.

The quota is higher in case of institutes established by army. If states/missionaries can keep quota for their individuals then why can not army keep quota for institutes which it established? In fact its a good thing they are doing by allowing certain number of civilian students in these institutes.

If so many of you have so many grudges against service personnel (till now only defence has been discussed) why dont you people join and enjoy these benefits?
There is so much shortage of officers! One officer doing job of three getting paid one for one. Have you heard this in civil?

Last edited by TaureanBull : 31st July 2010 at 21:36.
TaureanBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2010, 21:51   #26
BANNED

Why only the services. How about vehicles with just Police or the number on a blue-red background, vehicles with xxx Magistrate, xxx Judge, MLA, ex-MLA, etc.
Old 1st August 2010, 15:59   #27
Senior - BHPian

First of all, let me ask, is it illegal to sport such stickers as Lawyer, CA, Doctor, Judge on the cars owned by them ?

If it is illegal then let the police do the job and challan them.

Let us not get into this discussion of what stickers who is entitled ? They are putting these stickers for a reason (rash driving is definitely not that). Some people may drive rashly when these stickers are their on their car, but that rash driving could be by anyone at any point of time, to catch a train, for a meeting.

Let us not generalize, and let others keep the stickers on their cars, for all you know, I saw a BHPian with team-bhp sticker driving quite fast on the expressway and others commenting on he showing off BHP power of his car etc. I have seen many people from ARMY driving very sanely near Army Cantt, and hence getting respect of the crowd in terms of giving way, have seen them dressed in uniform in private cars.

Stickers on the car (except politicians) donot indicate a trend of dangerous driving by that community.

Mods: I feel the thread title should be corrected, could not find where was the abuse of position ?

Last edited by tanwaramit : 1st August 2010 at 16:03.
tanwaramit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2010, 17:14   #28
BANNED

I don't find anything wrong in telling people what profession you are in. If doctors, lawyers do it, then why not army men?
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuc View Post
Abuse of position on Indian roads by officials
I am happy that the army officer is living withing his means, not succumb social pressure and indulge in corruption like his colleagues: 72 officers sold their weapons for profit: Army. He had fallen into bad mean then surely he would be driving a GV, instead of a Santro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually I feel bad that such a high ranked Army official can only afford a bashed up Santro, while the local corporators run around in SUVs.
Old 4th April 2013, 15:51   #29
BHPian

Re: Abuse of position on Indian roads by officials

Breaking News! Supreme Court tells Government "Amend law to cut use of Red Beacons".

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/19378100.cms

I guess it is a good move. This red beacon privilage has been fully exploited by all Government departments to its max. Now lets hope the govt listens to the SC.

The police were very fast to act on the SC banning tint on car windows as there was money to be made. It will be interesting to see how fast they act on this one lol.
Old 25th April 2013, 19:03   #30
BHPian

Re: Abuse of position on Indian roads by officials

Lets start with the photo : A beat up Santro, A Single star (brigadier , The words ARMY on the windscreen, and last of all the Beacon light or lal baati..What any government offcial hankers for!!

Despite Taurean bulls vehement attempts at defending the indefensible the facts dont lie and this is what it is:-

Use of Beacon lights is governed by the Central Motor Vehicles Act Rule 108 clause 3. In addition the state Government is also empowered under its own State Act to allow usage of beacons to notified persons.

There are different categories of Beacons

Red Beacon with Flasher -
Red Beacon without Flasher
Amber Beacon and
Blue Beacon- for police vehicles and ambulance

Our esteemed brigadier falls in neither of the above a categories!!

AS per the Act, the only personnel entitled to a red beacon WITHOUT flasher are Chiefs of Staff of the three services holding the rank of full General or equivalent rank AND Officiating Chiefs of Staff of the three services holding the rank of Lt. General or equivalent rank.

So Brigadier Saab has flouted the law. In fact, everyday you can find Armed Forces vehicles with the words " CO" written on it!! can you believe it a Colonel ranked officer which is below a brigadier sporting a Red Beacon!. You can Even find vehicles like " Chief Works Engineer" sporting beacons!!

Not to singe out the armed forces here. Let me cite some more worst offenders:-

Ordnance Factory Board personnel, Income Tax Personnell, Lower court Judges, Members of so many Tribunals, commissions, MLa's Members of Municipal Bodies, and the list goes on.

This self styled modern day Rajahs need to know the colonial days of the ruler and the ruled , the " mai- baap" concept is done and dusted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks