Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 14:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A remedy to stop signal jumping

Even to fine the signal jumpers there should be atleast traffic cops to do so who most of the time enjoy the signal jumping from a distance. I had seen once a cop being knocked by a biker who had signal jumped, seeing this most of the cops stay away from catching the jumpers.

Another way to catch such people is to install CCTV at important signals and note down the number plate. This evidence can later be used to impose a hefty fine and a temporary suspension of the licence. Unless the laws get strict, the signal jumper tribe will flourish.
Old 21st March 2011, 14:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Warnings about fines ain't gonna work in the Wild Wild North. Most people don't even pay fines, even when stopped on legitimate grounds, and end up intimidating the hapless policemen with - "Do you even know who I am?"!

I guess, there has to be some sort of a physical obstruction to stop people from jumping red lights. Spike strips look to be safer that overhead barriers that can lead to deadly crashes.
Old 21st March 2011, 14:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

At one crossing near RSI pune, please not this is army area. There is a jawaan who mans the signal here. I have seen people on bikes jumping the signal. and he has a stick and just whacks them. some of them get away, but i have also seen someone getting whacked hard on the back. I believe they definately deserve it.
Old 21st March 2011, 14:34   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
There is a jawaan who mans the signal here. I have seen people on bikes jumping the signal. and he has a stick and just whacks them.
What about the possibility that his whacking someone would hit someone in a very wrong way, and cause permanent physical damage or a bad accident? This is not the first example where I have seen or heard of Armymen misusing their impunities. I believe this is another example of using lawlessness to combat lawlessness!

In Kanpur, years back, I have seen policemen shoving their Lathis (sticks), into motorcycle wheels, to stop them, if they did not stop when they ordered them to! Every single instance, I have seen the rider fall down very hard, to be later beaten up even more, by the policeman.

These ARE NOT solutions that a mature and civilized society should put up with, irrespective of whose fault it is! I think the enforcement of legal provisions needs to be driven harder (like Singapore), and the fines should be prohibitive, and possibly some time behind bars, for people to rethink their ways.

Delhi Police is taking a good step by trying to up the enforcement and fines, but let us wait and watch how well they succeed...
Old 21st March 2011, 14:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

The only way to stop signal jumping is by making use of Genetic Engineering. Whoever gets a drivers license, should undergo a gene altering treatment which will completely destroy the urge to jump signals and instill a phobia for jumping red lights.

Last edited by clevermax : 21st March 2011 at 14:36.
Old 21st March 2011, 14:36   #21
BHPian

Hefty fines won't work in India, as the cops would take 50-100 Rs and let the guy off without any receipt. Barriers would work, but they could cause even bigger mess as people would start crowding near the barrier from all sides (like they do at the railways crossings now) and then there would be a traffic jam when the light changes to green.

The only solution is the educate people. Include traffic etiquette in the school syllabus and bombard viewers with videos on television everyday ( somewhat like the JaagoRe initiative for voters ).
Old 21st March 2011, 14:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Fine them. Fine them an absurdly high sum of money like Rs 5000+ or a jail time of two days. The habit will stop. If this was Singapore, I would have suggested three canes also.

Singapore or even better, Arab style of punishments alone can instill discipline on our roads.
Old 21st March 2011, 14:51   #23
Senior - BHPian

I would have suggested cameras on all signals, but implementation/enforcement breaks by heart. Sigh!
Old 21st March 2011, 15:01   #24
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
What about the possibility that his whacking someone would hit someone in a very wrong way, and cause permanent physical damage or a bad accident?

I believe this is another example of using lawlessness to combat lawlessness!
Lets not have misplaced sympathies.

Quote:
These ARE NOT solutions that a mature and civilized society should put up

I think the enforcement of legal provisions needs to be driven harder (like Singapore), and the fines should be prohibitive, and possibly some time behind bars, for people to rethink their ways.
As you may be aware that 40-50 years back Singapore had similar road civic sense like ours. Perhaps you know how they solved the issue.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What about the possibility that his whacking someone would hit someone in a very wrong way, and cause permanent physical damage or a bad accident? This is not the first example where I have seen or heard of Armymen misusing their impunities. I believe this is another example of using lawlessness to combat lawlessness!
Completely agree with you, this is definately not a solution. But it just angers you so much when people jump the signal, this could definately cause a nasty accident, but so does jumping the signal. anyways just wanted to share what i saw.
Old 21st March 2011, 15:05   #26
BHPian

I feel offenders should be made to pay "hefty fine" and should be sentenced for one to two days public service , this is the only way to make people realize the importance of “Stop” Signal. Going automated way seems to be a far-off dream, it requires some serious will from political class and police department.

Cheers !!!
Old 21st March 2011, 15:41   #27
MK3
BHPian

I do accept hefty fines might do the trick. Also, how about a suspension from driving a vehicle for a week along with a compulsory viewing of education video? Still better, catch them and make them wait for half an hour to one hour and then proceed, this is considering more signal jumpers do jumping due to last minute rush to reach somewhere.
Old 21st March 2011, 16:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

People who jump signals care a hoot abt the signals and the people who actually wait at these signals. This includes everyone irrespective of their education levels or lack of it. For them, we (the people who wait) are the biggest fools. Only probable way they might change if they encounter a first hand experience of the disasters which are waiting to happen when people jump signals (God forbid!!!). Videos, promotional events nothing is going to matter.

They jump, because they can. And I dont know what can be done about it.
Old 21st March 2011, 16:12   #29
BHPian

The only way lawbreaking at least on roads will end is when we (everyone) take upon ourselves to do the right thing. We cannot expect the poor cops to stop everyone who breaks the law; just imagine the ratio of cops to the road users.

Also I have always seen a trend that people blame the cops for taking bribe, but the very same person bribes when caught. Thing to note is one should stop breaking the law before complaining of others breaking it.
Old 21st March 2011, 16:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Completely agree with you, this is definately not a solution. But it just angers you so much when people jump the signal, this could definately cause a nasty accident, but so does jumping the signal. anyways just wanted to share what i saw.
It does not make sense to sympathise with the traffic offender here. After all, jumping the signal could mean a worse accident for someone else who is not aware. The person jumping the signal is aware of the risk, but not the other travellers around.

I think I know this place you are talking about. I remember he whacked a scooty/ activa once as one of the notorious masked ladies had jumped the signal. I dont think he had the heart to hit her. Ironically, there was a bigger oncoming vehicle and this lady shivered in her tracks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks