Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2011, 16:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: A remedy to stop signal jumping

This is a common sight at least here in our twin cities specially at nights, bikers rules the roost here followed by autowalals and cabbies.
Old 21st March 2011, 16:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

If a barricade has to be put, it should be something which doesnt allow anyone to go underneath it!!

One such type:
A remedy to stop signal jumping-img_xpandiit1.jpg A remedy to stop signal jumping-img_xpandiit2.jpg

Note: It can be collapsed.
Old 21st March 2011, 16:49   #33
BHPian

*Well what about one chip inside every vehicle which directly implies to all the traffic regulations.

For Eg: Say your car has a chip. You want to jump a signal, but you can't as the chip inside your car has traced the chip inside the traffic signal post and you can't jump it unless the signal is green. Similarly we can have codes for not exceeding the Speed limit. No honking. Etc.*

Thud!

I'm awake! I'm awake!
Old 21st March 2011, 16:51   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I would have suggested cameras on all signals, but implementation/enforcement breaks by heart. Sigh!
Bang on target mate! All boils down to the fact that enforcers care more for their vested interests then enforcement. And as long as offenders know this, offenses will continue.

Remedy: All traffic police officers should be held accountable for traffic violations in there zone of enforcement. Install CCTV at all (or at least non minor) intersections and get a count of traffic violations per day/week/month from the video footage. Then compare this with the challans issued for the same intersection over the same period of time. Any inconsistency (define a criteria) and fire (or at least suspend for lengthy time) the cops accountable for that intersection over that time. Also, those who did their duties diligently should be awarded and awarded big time.
Old 21st March 2011, 16:52   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milestone View Post
I feel offenders should be made to pay "hefty fine" and should be sentenced for one to two days public service , this is the only way to make people realize the importance of “Stop” Signal. Going automated way seems to be a far-off dream, it requires some serious will from political class and police department.

Cheers !!!

I say just take the offender's vehicle and do not return it for a week. In the days like today when we depend so much on our two-wheelers/4wheelers, I think this process can be very effective.
Old 21st March 2011, 16:54   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
The only way to stop signal jumping is by making use of Genetic Engineering. Whoever gets a drivers license, should undergo a gene altering treatment which will completely destroy the urge to jump signals and instill a phobia for jumping red lights.
Haha. You sure have taken the thought process to the next level.

I see most (and rightly so) are suggesting the fining method. But the point here is that we do have fines existing for these offences. The issue is that the method of fining probably has to be reworked.

The cops are getting stricter day by day against drunken driving. I think a similar approach should be taken for jumping signals too.
Old 21st March 2011, 16:55   #37
BHPian

Get the CCTV installed at the traffic junctions and catch the offenders.
One day in the police lockup for offenders is what I feel would make them aware of the consequences of jumping the traffic signal.
Of-course people will still find loopholes to avoid spending a day in lockup by bribing the police.
Putting up banner board at traffic signal junction in respective state languages and in English regarding the punishment can somewhat deter the people in jumping the signal.
However these arent any foolproof solutions for traffic signal jumping but ways to curb signal jumping offenses.

Putting up barricades may compound a problem like what we see at railway level crossing . Added to that in case any emergency vehicle(Ambulance/Fire Brigade) happen to pass that way , then barricades need to be lowered again . At this point people waiting at signal will get opportunity to tail gate the ambulance/fire brigade and cross the signal.
Its only at the implementation of a remedy and subsequent action where authorities fail to deliver.
Old 21st March 2011, 16:59   #38
BHPian

I think every person who drives on the road must be self aware that his/her jumping lights can cause serious problems to him and others , only then can this be remedied. Having fines does deter few folk. Having enforcers to do it deters some but the majority of the mob don't give a damn.
This I think is irrespective of North/South/East/West parts of India. One can try but its like there is always a loophole somewhere so this can be circumvented. So the people always look for this loophole in the rule rather than appreciate as to why it is there in the first place.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:03   #39
BHPian

I just feel a small fine (small enough that any lower willl hurt a policeman's pride) might just work. The cops will then really be drawing out challans and in the process atleast spending 15-20 minutes of time. Most of the two-wheelers and four-wheelers will be really afraid of this loss of time especially in Metros and big cities.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:07   #40
BANNED

Get automatic bollards. They should be made of titanium. If they still get over the line the bollards will damage the vehicles anyways.

Use those which have capacity to lift 20 tons.

It could be an awesome site to see line crossers jacked up 3-4 feet up in the air along with their vehicles.

Then the morons will come looking to get compensation for the damage, then fine their rears off. You now have substantial evidence provided by the perpetrator himself .

In case you folks are wondering what are automatic Bollards:

A remedy to stop signal jumping-automatic_bollards.jpg

A remedy to stop signal jumping-coral1050.jpg

PS: I am serious

Last edited by Spitfire : 21st March 2011 at 17:16.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

I shall give you the perfect remedy now !

Just before the pedestrian crossing - in place of the thick white line we should have a turning plate with nails on one side.

As soon as the signals turn red - the plate rotates to expose the nails, so when someone tries to sneak through his tyres go bust. When the signal turns green, the plate turns 180 degrees to put the nails away under the road !
Old 21st March 2011, 17:14   #42
BHPian

On a funnier note, a big Hahaha noise from signal itself when someone jumps it. Embarassment for the driver might just teach them something.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:15   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I think every person who drives on the road must be self aware that his/her jumping lights can cause serious problems to him and others , only then can this be remedied...
I guess most of these "Jumpers" don't attach value to their own lives, forget them caring about what happens to others. And I don't see this apathy reducing any time in a very distant future.

Furthermore, the fact that the bigger vehicle is always considered at fault gives a boost to rule breaking. Just consider this; If a biker knew that if a car hits him while he's jumping the light the car owner will face no legal hassles, I'm pretty sure he would avoid jumping the light. But it's the other way around. The car owner knows that he'd be in big trouble, even on no fault of his, if he unintentionally hits a "jumping" biker and so he has to make way for bikers who have the right to cross intersections on a red light. Ok, now I'm done with my rant.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I shall give you the perfect remedy now ! ...
Now that is one remedy perfectly made for our roads! If it ever gets implemented, I'm gonna invest big time on rubber & tyre manufacturer stocks.

Last edited by lordofgondor : 21st March 2011 at 17:19.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:25   #44
BHPian

One who jumps the signal shall become the assistant of the traffic police of that particular signal or heck, any other signal. Say for 2 days under strict supervision.
Old 21st March 2011, 17:36   #45
BHPian

I would suggest the spiked barrier coming under from the road. Dont think fine will be great moolah to curb it. Atleast, a patrol van with ac ouple of cops stationed on all 4 road junctions will do the job.

I myself feel, when someone very lethargically jumps the signal, my mind asks why the cops are not coming and catch hold of his collar. In chennai, at busy intersection during peak hours, this menace is 90% controlled. The SI himself comes and stands on the middle of the road shooing all offencers. This should be made mandatory in all signals and on all 2/4 sides.

Seeing a cop standing there, no one will try to make a offence. Even now in Anna Salai, people follow the lane discipline and if not a fine is there. And we can excuse from this fine, since the patrol van with the SI is stationed.

Even if good Samaritans like me wait for the signal to go Green, buffaloes behind me dont allow. They keep on honk or abuse. And when they squeeze past me doing this, I want the God to send an Angel(COP) to whack him hard.

But all these are happening only in my vast imaginative mind.

EDIT
On a technical side, in bikes, the engine comes to off when the petrol reaches reserve. The car turns off when no petrol/diesel. As I was going through other posts, the chip idea got my mind.

All vehicles should have a chip, which will have sensors to detect the Signal light. If there is a red light, the engine turns off. And if green no action taken.

Just imagine, a bike/car with that chip, the driver thinks he can jump the signal, tries to speed, but the vehicle shuts off and he is now in the middle of the road cant do anything. He is humiliated first, surrounded by other vehicles abusing him and the cop can catch hold of his collar and do whatever they want.

Last edited by dre@ms : 21st March 2011 at 17:45. Reason: Added some more stuff, out of imagination

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks