Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:53   #1
BHPian

Unexpected and Unwelcome Street experience with a fellow Bhpian.

I just realized a disturbing fact yesterday night while driving back from work on the western express highway in Mumbai.

On my way back, driving peacefully, so called at around 60-70 km/hr among the normal crowded highway between Goregoan to Andheri at 10pm. I am suddenly noticed to a pair of headlight approaching a bit too quickly in my right side rear view mirror and knew that there is no place for the car to go. I was in the second lane and a truck ahead me, next to me in the first lane there was taxi driving at the same speed. For any normal and peaceful driver the only option would be to slow down and either drives behind me or the taxi. No. this guy wants to go ahead so he comes behind the taxi and honks and flashes high beam continuously. Anyways the taxi was least bothered and didn’t give way as usual. I , expecting this, decided to give that car – was a white Skoda - some way and slowed down from behind the truck. I was going the back off two cars length so this Skoda can come into the second lane, ahead of me and go his own way.

Nope. This impatient idiot decided to swerve into the second lane even before there was enough space and cut my car completely. I had to serve to the left and brake so hard, that my tires locked at 70km/hr for a second, to avoid being side-swiped. I managed to avoid that and was completed pissed off at the arrogance of this person, to cut me off, when I was actually giving space to go.

This all happened in a matter of 3-5 seconds and the Skoda was gone. I wasn’t going to chase or drive in the same manner to catch him. I still could see glimpses of him on the road ahead cutting of bikers and other car from the first lane to the forth lane.

Any guesses what happens to a Santro when a 1.5 ton Skoka side-swipes it at 70kp/hr.

NOW the reason Iam writing this on Team-Bhp is that, Behind the White Skoda vRS was a Team-Bhp Sticker.

Iam extremely sorry to say but I this is not the first time this has happened.

Couple of months back I was cutoff and squashed between a Bright Blue OHC with a huge aftermarket sticker work of “ www.Team-Bhp.com” on its back wind screen and the divider. I was riding my bike. Again had to lock and come extremely close to a divider to avoid contact. he OHC continued ahead driving in the same manner.

Is this what we here now representing with the sticker work.

In the last month between Mald to Worli, I have seen 10 drivers who should be fined and arrested for rash and erratic driving, 2 of them had Team-Bhp stickers on them.

At the same time, in that month I have also seen 2 other cars with Team-Bhp stickers driving peacefully and enjoying their ICE.

Iam sorry for my ranting on and on, but that Skoda left me wondering about how many member drive like this on crowded streets and what image Team-Bhp is getting in the public eye.

UM

Last edited by UniqueMods : 23rd April 2009 at 12:54.
UniqueMods is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:17   #2
BHPian

I think there should be a name and shame section on this site, for people who cant get their head around driving courteously and with respect to other road users.
This honking and flashing of lights like lunatics, shows the mentallity of these people.

If rational driving cannot be promoted amongst people who have a passion for what they drive, then how is the message going to be spread to the wider masses?
If the person was attending to an emergency it's a totally different thing, but to drive like this on a daily basis, save 15mins of your journey time and put someone elses life at risk, is sheer stupidity. What if the truck behind you had'nt aniticpate or couldnt have slowed down enough, when you slammed your brakes to avoid this person? He's not going to even hang around to help, forget take the blame for it.

Last edited by Samir Taheer : 23rd April 2009 at 13:20.
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:31   #3
Team-BHP Support

The vRS does not come in white. Was it silver or white? It may be a normal 1.9TDi with vRS spoiler and alloys?
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:48   #4
BHPian

Maybe silver, didn't concentrate on that, was concentrating more on not getting side-swiped. was around 10pm at night, so didn't get a good look at the exact color.
But it had a spoiler.

Driving 30 - 40 km/hr faster than other traffic and cutting, weaving from the first lane to the last lane on a crowded highway is just asking for a accident.

UM
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't surprise me. TBHP has people from general population where these things happen everyday. Would have been good if you could have more information of the car but that doesn't matter.

Thank god nothing happened.
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:14   #6
Team-BHP Support

One reason why I did not buy the team-bhp sticker, is that I am not completely sure of my sanity.
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
One reason why I did not buy the team-bhp sticker, is that I am not completely sure of my sanity.
Couldn't agree more with you
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:32   #8
BANNED

Its a shame on the skoda guy.I always drive consciously as i have a struck Tbhp sticker.

May be one of the Tbhp members gave it to their friends as there are 10 of them.

But i really irritates us when some one drives rash with our road sense.Even yesterday i encountered such a guy in fiesta.He was driving like nonsense in the busy mount roads peak hour traffic.

BUT WHAT CAN WE DO??
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniqueMods View Post
Driving 30 - 40 km/hr faster than other traffic and cutting, weaving from the first lane to the last lane on a crowded highway is just asking for a accident.

UM
Maybe not you - but I personally find people driving at 60-70 kph on the rightmost of the FOUR lane Delhi Gurgaon expressway a nuisance. Irrespective of the laws of the land, they need to understand its a lane for overtaking which can and does happen at triple digit speeds. Its best for themselves as well as others that they stick to other lanes.

If I am coming from behind at triple digits, I will cut/weave as necessary. I will definitely be more civilized on smaller roads/busier roads. But if there's a fellow plodding away at 75 in the right lane, and only some space to its left, then he's going to get overtaken at 100+ from the left, nothing I can do about it.

PS: When I ride my bike (when it was legal .. sigh) or drive slow, then i myself give way proactively and stick to left lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
+1
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:48   #10
BHPian

If only some stickers, worth $5 could induce some road manners among drivers.
I would have bought quite a few sets for our auto/cab drivers...

Regards,
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:50   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
If only some stickers, worth $5 could induce some road manners among drivers.
I would have bought quite a few sets for our auto/cab drivers...

Regards,
The reverse is actually possible.
Just see what happens when someone puts stickers that read GOVT or POLICE on a vehicle.
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:54   #12
BHPian

I consciously have put a Team-BHP sticker on my car, as I make sure that I drive controlled, with the sticker on. To back it up I posted pics of my car and sticker , so that I can get a feedback if someone find me riving rashly.

That said, it is not possible to confirm that the driver of the skoda is a member of Team-BHP or not. As mentioned people have distributed the stickers to others. But if he is a member then it is not good.
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Maybe not you - but I personally find people driving at 60-70 kph on the rightmost of the FOUR lane Delhi Gurgaon expressway a nuisance. Irrespective of the laws of the land, they need to understand its a lane for overtaking which can and does happen at triple digit speeds. Its best for themselves as well as others that they stick to other lanes.
I understand your frustration but please note that the Western Express Highway is as different from the Delhi Gurgaon Expressway as chalk is from cheese. It is not an empty or deserted stretch of road under any circumstances.

Just my two cents. And I just detest tailgating, weaving & high-speed jinxing (on the D-G E'way), irrespective of the circumstances
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Maybe he got the sticker from a friend.
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:27   #15
BHPian

Even if he got the sticker from a friend, the damage is being done to Team-Bhp.
so whats the point.
A request to all members. -
Please don't drive so rashly, that you endanger others.
Please don't distribute the stickers to friend, who is known to drive rashly.

UM
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks