Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2012, 05:20   #361
BHPian

Re: Top Gear Christmas special shooting in India - Teaser Video on Pg 16

I personally thought the India special was terrible, possibly because I had such high hopes . it wasnt even on the same league as the Vietnam or Bolivia specials, and there was such a huge opportunity to have made it amazing. There were a few laughs in between but nothing like their past shows. Maybe they are just losing their touch. Hopefully season 18 more than makes up for it.
Old 4th January 2012, 12:32   #362
Senior - BHPian

Bad attempt to make fun of India just to make it sound funny, the world knows that we are almost a superpower now. They themselves say it in the begging of the episode, so guys just chill. I would not take it in an offensive way (the theme itself was to come to India for HELP) but what is unfortunate is that it was a Very Very boring and slow episode with nil action.

BOTTOM LINE - VERY BORING & SLOW EPISODE...TG will be out of business if they continue like this...their past performance has raised the bar very high

PS - In the short chat i had with them in mumbai, it was very evident that they are in love with India and want to come back again and again. They also really wanted to visit Ladakh but dint have the time i guess. So lets hope they come back soon and do a good job next time.

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 4th January 2012 at 12:38.
KSM-Vtec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 12:44   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

I am really sorry to have to ask this, but how is it offensive all of a sudden when it came to india?
I am sure mexican/spanish/even american sensibilities were targeted just as much for those nationalities.

Like these guys themselves say, they are a pokey motoring show.
so let it be just that, what?
Show was bad, thats understandable, but boy o boy have they done worse stuff in the past.

Geoff was especially bad, although not a special.

Last edited by mayankk : 4th January 2012 at 12:47.
Old 4th January 2012, 12:53   #364
Team-BHP Support

I highly doubt they'd come back for another 'Special' episode again. Every year, it's different. However, if they're aware of the growing TG fan-base in India, and if the fans reach out together, they might just be back, but for a different purpose. If our market booms and our infrastructure improves in the next few years, they could visit our country and drive supercars, like they do in several other countries. Now that would be really cool!

Remember, they had been to Romania, which isn't exactly developed either, and they drove 3 wonderful exotics across the country.
Old 4th January 2012, 12:57   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I highly doubt they'd come back for another 'Special' episode again. Every year, it's different. However, if they're aware of the growing TG fan-base in India, and if the fans reach out together, they might just be back, but for a different purpose. If our market booms and our infrastructure improves in the next few years, they could visit our country and drive supercars, like they do in several other countries. Now that would be really cool!

Remember, they had been to Romania, which isn't exactly developed either, and they drove 3 wonderful exotics across the country.
Yeah true but the roads there were much better

The Transfagarasan Highway in Romania is one of the best roads in he world in every way. I remember them giving the stats about the road and the number of deaths that took place during the construction period

But i just hope they come back and do something good next time

Last edited by KSM-Vtec : 4th January 2012 at 13:00.
Old 4th January 2012, 13:04   #366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Yeah true but the roads there were much better

The Transfagarasan Highway in Romania is one of the best roads in he world
Don't lose heart, friend.

Our Indian roads aren't that bad either. The highways have seen vast improvements. What we need for Indians roads is discipline. And if the rules are enforced properly and if idiot-folk (apologies) gain some common sense and avoid breaking the rules of the road, our roads can be up there with one of the best.

I've driven around Karnataka, and some of the SH are horrible, but some roads are just wonderful and the curves and short straights are worthy of a race-track.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 13:59   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Don't lose heart, friend.

Our Indian roads aren't that bad either. The highways have seen vast improvements. What we need for Indians roads is discipline. And if the rules are enforced properly and if idiot-folk (apologies) gain some common sense and avoid breaking the rules of the road, our roads can be up there with one of the best.

I've driven around Karnataka, and some of the SH are horrible, but some roads are just wonderful and the curves and short straights are worthy of a race-track.
I agree, but if you notice the improvement is mainly on the NH and not on the internal roads which actually take you to the exotic destinations that our country has.

Like you said the discipline aspect is more important which again is difficult to control due to the growing large illiterate population of India.
Old 4th January 2012, 14:31   #368
BHPian

We should stop being p.....s. Mockery, Fun, pun are all part of the TG episode without those who will want to watch TG.

Their love / appreciation for the country/city was seen in abundance like when JC said 'thunderstorm and like in all cities Mumbai also comes to a standstill', he could have easily said 'slight shower and city has come to a stop still'. RH said to JM ' how could you get lost we haven't been to a city this big'. And i can go on and on.

I would have loved if they had driven a lot more in India and avoided the trains. Hopefully they will comeback with red hot cars.
prmd_cochin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 16:52   #369
BHPian

This was not the usual 'TG Special', but nonetheless OK.
Again, I am not sure why there is so much of a hue and cry about racism, etc etc.

JC did make a few compliments about our country.
For example - 'We woke up next day in Switzerland, only it was cleaner, warmer, better...', something about India being a superpower etc etc.

I for one was hoping to hear his usual dialogue ' How hard can it be? '
Old 4th January 2012, 18:07   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
If one wants to see the positives then he/she'll definitely see it and if one wants to only find the negatives then no matter what, it's very difficult for one to see the other side of the story. As per the script of the show, the whole story of their coming to India was because they think India is the nuvo economic Super-power and they need to do business with India to save their country from bankruptcy. So, point one made that India is no longer just another push-over or a poor state.
Wow! And you believed that? with all those "promotional" banners? I thought the super power thing was just a pretext for showing those banners and for arranging that stupid party. TG is just a car themed entertainment program, (and a good one at that. I am a fan myself) so when they try to give serious reasons like "doing business with India" it should only be taken with a pinch of salt. Just my two cents.
Old 4th January 2012, 18:49   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Wow! And you believed that? with all those "promotional" banners? I thought the super power thing was just a pretext for showing those banners and for arranging that stupid party. TG is just a car themed entertainment program, (and a good one at that. I am a fan myself) so when they try to give serious reasons like "doing business with India" it should only be taken with a pinch of salt. Just my two cents.
It's not about me believing anything, all I wanted to say that was as per their Script . They had laid out the script and acted as if they are coming to a new economic super power (which I don't believe that we are yet but that's my opinion) and I saw that as positive thing about India when people are mentioning that they have only showed negative about India. To me it's as simple as that.
Old 4th January 2012, 22:46   #372
BHPian

You guys saw the bentley out there???

Top Gear Christmas special shooting in India - Teaser Video on Pg 16-jermeycrash.jpg
muditgrover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2012, 23:40   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muditgrover View Post
You guys saw the bentley out there???
That's a Skoda Superb
Old 5th January 2012, 08:46   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
That's a Skoda Superb
Argh! My Bad!

It looked like a bentley to me from the lights, size and the wheels.. :P
Old 5th January 2012, 17:10   #375
BHPian

And did you all miss this?

Check out the guy (color of T-shirt and Jeans) before the Auto starts.

Top Gear Christmas special shooting in India - Teaser Video on Pg 16-auto-before.jpg

And after

Top Gear Christmas special shooting in India - Teaser Video on Pg 16-auto-after.jpg
Animesh is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks