Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2011, 14:30   #301
Senior - BHPian

Re: BBC's Jeremy Clarkson has been accused of racism

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
People live in denial, and when the truth comes out, they're ashamed of it and retaliate.
This is especially with respect to Indians.
He showed what he saw. And what we also see.
But we won't clean up our act and cry foul if someone holds a mirror up our face.
download2live is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 14:56   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Kicking barn owls, running over dogs... shocking people (and not always with any point at all) is Clarkson's trademark. The Brits fall for it every time: the letters of complaint pour in, and the audience figures for the next program shoot up.

Unlike Patriot_Vishwas, I am not going to have the patience (or the interest, frankly) to download and watch this program. From what he and the article says, this one sounds to me like bad school-boy humour, badly aimed and badly executed.

I don't think that anything is above a little mockery (well... almost anything) but that doesn't mean that there is no such thing as bad taste, and no such thing as ignorance, and no such thing as being downright offensive.

Toilets? Doesn't Clarkson realise that toilets and the building and maintenance of sewers by Victorian engineers was the turning point in British national health? Where then, is the "humour" in mocking poor people whose city has not provided such things?

I'll never know how much real entertainment there might have been in the program, or how big these mentioned samples were, but on their basis: thumbs down from me.
Old 31st December 2011, 15:11   #303
Team-BHP Support

Re: Top Gear Christmas special shooting in India - Teaser Video on Pg 16

Close to an hour through the episode now. Completed up to the party in Delhi (now waiting for wifey to return from the break). Quite well done I must say. The train part can do with a bit of tight editing. One point they are sitting in the regular class (the music session), and then during the banner painting and external shots, it is clear that they are in the upper class/ air-conditioned coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Also, were those real meals they were wasting ? If so, I found that in pretty bad taste too.
I doubt if that is the case. Maybe the lunch boxes are done specifically for the shoot. If it was really wasted, the said accuracy of 99.9% will surely suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
I dont think it will air in India now...online is the way to go!
Bad if the episode is not aired in India. It’s a well-made episode, and the camera-work is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Side of the tracks is one thing, but right on people's lunches... not done!
The natural spring thing was hilarious. The dog part was foul. I am not sure if that was staged, or the cameraman’s alertness captured that shot. Worst if it’s the latter scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The whole thing was just too staged and hilarious for me to take anything seriously
Yes, it’s done in the traditional TG way with a good spread of British humor. I did not find anything offensive so far
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 15:18   #304
BHPian

I will request everyone to at least watch the program before you start ridiculing it.

The toilet on the bootlid stunt was done due to the term Delhi belly. And they eventually drove over to the Manali - Leh route where they would never be able to find the luxury called toilets.

And I didn't even notice the pants off scene before I read the article. Anyways that was just an attempt to British humor. We laugh at the same stuff when Rowan Atkinson does it.

As for the banners, that was scripted that way... so its nothing to do with Jeremy Clarkson.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 15:36   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

OK... eating my words.

Which is no fun when they are toilet words!
Old 31st December 2011, 16:06   #306
Senior - BHPian

I did watch the episode and did not find anything offensive at all - may be it is because I have been watching TG for years now, and enjoy it for what it is.

If people are going to cross examine TG for each and every word by JC, then many people can get offended, but for those who understands the show and the humor, there is nothing offensive in this year's Christmas special.

Personally, I do not agree with the complaints and to the view that JC have tried to show us in poor light.
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 16:08   #307
Senior - BHPian

he always takes delight in offending somebody. Mostly the French, then the Koreans and taking digs at Tata's and Indians in general is routine for his shows. A part of his behaviour, what we define as racism against Indians, is also due to social conditioning in Britain.

I mean these are the very same guys who were looting, pillaging natural resources out of this country, they left entire regions like Bengal in famine on purpose and now he claims we do not have toilets. Tough luck, should have shouted when his forefathers and the 'empire' were stealing raw materials by the wagonloads and shiploads to 'build britain' lol. Bloody hypocrite.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 16:35   #308
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I endorse this point of view one hundred percent.
Instead of taking everything that is said in jest seriously we fellows would do well to learn to take things sportingly instead of getting all hot under the collar. We would do very well indeed to learn to lighten up a bit and laugh at ourselves occasionally.
This is TG, this is JC - take it or leave it. No quarter given, none taken and certainly no harm intended in my book. I would say if one is sensitive to people taking digs at one, then one should simply vote with the remote, when TG comes on air!
Personally I dont think JC is racist or anything - he is just another exponent of sharp,acerbic wit and typically Brit Public School humour. We chaps are good at laughing at others discomfiture but cannot take it at all if we happen to become the butt of a joke ourselves!
Lets all take it easy and lighten up a bit shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I did watch the episode and did not find anything offensive at all - may be it is because I have been watching TG for years now, and enjoy it for what it is.

If people are going to cross examine TG for each and every word by JC, then many people can get offended, but for those who understands the show and the humor, there is nothing offensive in this year's Christmas special.

Personally, I do not agree with the complaints and to the view that JC have tried to show us in poor light.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 31st December 2011 at 16:39.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 17:27   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
he always takes delight in offending somebody. Mostly the French, then the Koreans and taking digs at Tata's and Indians in general is routine for his shows. A part of his behaviour, what we define as racism against Indians, is also due to social conditioning in Britain.

I mean these are the very same guys who were looting, pillaging natural resources out of this country, they left entire regions like Bengal in famine on purpose and now he claims we do not have toilets. Tough luck, should have shouted when his forefathers and the 'empire' were stealing raw materials by the wagonloads and shiploads to 'build britain' lol. Bloody hypocrite.
The World is moving on my friend, and I suggest all of us to do the same.

Let's forget about the fact that the British looted us. There is proof of that in their own country, not to mention ours. Let's show the World that we can build and rebuild India without the need to capture and colonize entire Nations. There is no point bickering about what had happened.

India, after all, is growing rapidly. They mentioned it themselves.

I'm not defending them, but controversies are created by people who have nothing better to do. Take it with a pinch of salt, and move on.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 18:06   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Well we were too busy fighting with each other to even notice what was happening and look whats happening now when we have our 'own' people at the helm? As somebody pointed out, living in denial.
extreme_torque is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 18:11   #311
BHPian

I was surprised this thread even came up - Those who have been watching Top Gear already know how Jeremy Clarkson is - You guys never raised an issue when Clarkson used to make fun of all other countries. He even used to make fun of British people too! Just because he made fun of something in India (Please note that I have not seen the episode) now we have got offended? So it is ok if Clarkson makes fun of US/UK/Japan etc and we enjoy it a lot but when it comes to India he should not make a single joke?
Old 31st December 2011, 18:14   #312
Senior - BHPian

I have never been a fan of JC's type of journalism. I have not seen the programme so cant comment on it but then wither we take it as a humorous take or we dont. I agree with the comment about Peter Russel. That may be taken with a pinch of salt as hes a comedian. JC is a auto journalist for heaven's sake. Hes too busy trying to be a comedian.

He doesnt even take Car, Hes too busy either putting something down or talking about the weather and some other unrelated thing. He had a programme called Visiting the neighbours or something. But i dont like his presentation on Top Gear. Actually ice stopped watching it because of this altogether.

He is an self opinionated guy but has a fan following. Personally give me Tiff Needle, Vikki Butler Henderson and Quentin Wilson anyday.
V-16 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 19:12   #313
Senior - BHPian

Rasicm? I think he was quite restrained in the episode.

I expected something much much more offensive.

Also, JC is universally offensive to Mexicans, French, Germans etc etc and the British! So its all good IMO.
Old 31st December 2011, 19:19   #314
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

It is Tiff Needell actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Personally give me Tiff Needle, Vikki Butler Henderson and Quentin Wilson anyday.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 19:36   #315
Senior - BHPian

It's time for us Indians to move on and stop crying hoarse at drop of the hat. I saw the episode and I somehow felt that Jeremy was very restrained (probably was instructed to and somehow that's why the episode was not as funny as other episodes) when making comments. He still have his comments and I didn't find them anywhere closed to being racist. We really need to put ourselves together and start learning to laugh at ourselves. World has moved on and so we too need to. And for God's sake, it's Top Gear and that's how it is.
kaushik_s is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks