Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2020, 13:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?

In a big market like India, supercar sales are woefully low due to the various reasons mentioned in this thread. However, many petrol heads aspire to buy a supercar someday, regardless of the challenges they face. Pictures of these cars adorn our bedroom walls. Some BHPians have also set up a Dream Car fund and with that, a BHPian managed to buy a Porsche Boxster.

If you are to buy one of these cars, there's a long list of options from various manufacturers to choose from in the current market. Although supercars are not meant to be used as daily drivers due to the challenges faced, if you were to daily drive a supercar, which one would you choose? BHPians, please add to the list with the cars you would choose as a daily driver along with reasons mentioning their pros and cons. Here is my list:

Porsche 911 Turbo / GT3
If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-911-turbo.jpg

The 911 is without a doubt one of the best daily drivers and is known the world over as the everyday sports car. It is practical and more ergonomic than most supercars. The Turbo variant comes with a twin-turbo engine which adds a bit of spice to the car, and it's also a 2+2 seater. If you don't need the rear seats, you could also opt for the GT3 variant. Still not convinced? Check out this 911 that is used as a daily driver and has run more than 1 lakh km. However, many enthusiasts are not fans of the design of 911, which has evolved over time. The Turbo and the GT3 variants look a lot like the base Carrera, with only some changes. Also, on the road, the 911 does not attract that much attention as say a Lamborghini or a Ferrari would. It does not stand out like a mid-engined supercar.

Lamborghini Huracan
If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-huracan.jpg

Surprised I included a mid-engine supercar in the list as a daily driver? Yes, the Huracan will be a nightmare to drive on bad roads and over some of the monstrous speed humps we see on Indian roads. It is also not a practical car. If you do not face these problems on your office commute and you want a car that attracts attention, then the Huracan could become a daily driver. The car is based on the Audi R8, which is considered as an everyday supercar. What helps the car is that the company has an aspirational brand value as compared to its German counterpart. A mid-engined supercar is also likely to attract more attention on the streets. Besides, compared to other supercar brands, Lamborghini has a wider sales and service network in the country, allowing their cars to be used regularly.

Mercedes-AMG GT R
If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-amg-gt-r.jpg

The AMG GT R is a performance version of the GT S, which is a grand tourer. The GT is built with practicality and comfort in mind, therefore making it a good daily driver. Being a front-engined car, it also comes with a big boot. The AMG GT R may not be as comfortable as the GT S, but it gets a more powerful engine, sharper handling and also looks much more aggressive. The exhaust note of the AMG V8 adds to the aural pleasure. It also comes with Mercedes reliability and service network. On the negative side, the car is too hardcore for daily use. It also loses out a bit on the practicality front to the Porsche as it comes with only two seats.
ChiragM is online now   (24) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 13:55   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?

Since we are all stuck at home, this is a nice time to dream !

First choice = Ferrari 488. Love the styling (a lot more than the 458) and the supposed punch of the turbo, even if it doesn't sound as pure as the naturally-aspirated 458. The reliability of modern Ferraris has improved a lot, although they're certainly not as "usable" as the 911. But hey, my 23-year old open 2-seat Jeep that I take everywhere proves that I can sacrifice 100% of practicality if I love the car 100%:
If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-img_1141.jpg

An equal first choice = Porsche 911. The quintessential "everyday sports car" with supercar-performance, while still offering acceptable practicality, driveability & reliability.
If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-dscn4597.jpg

Second choice = Sporty cars like the Mustang & Cayman that have been officially sold in India, have more than enough power & handling prowess for Indian roads, and are a lot more "attainable" than the 911 or 488. In India, it's more fun to redline & enjoy a 300 - 400 BHP car than to frequently run out of road with a 600 BHP one. Fact = on a typical Indian mountain road, a Mini Cooper S is more fun than a Lamborghini.

One thing I hate are convertible sports cars = just not for me.

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-fordmustang01.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 15th April 2020 at 14:00.
GTO is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 14:59   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Going by textbook definition, many of my choices end up being GTs or sportscar.

So by textbook definition of Supercars.

For sale in India

Ferrari F8

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-imageresizer.jpeg

Actually for the better part of last two decades, the Ferrari fanboi in me couldn't really look at a new Ferrari and honestly say the styling was great, but in recent years, could genuinely get awed by the styling.
Though if I am going to buy a Ferrari anyday, my wish is it to be a V12. Which in today's line-up would be the 812, but that's a GT.

Sold outside India

Honda NSX

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-hondansxfrontquarter.jpg

Yeah, the present NSX didn't quite get the reputation it's predecessor had. And actually an AWD V6 hybrid isn't ones dream spec, but kinda have a soft corner for this one.

Out of production

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-lfatrack02.jpg

Aural eargasm. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by DicKy : 15th April 2020 at 15:03.
DicKy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 16:40   #4
BHPian

If I were ever fortunate enough to daily drive a supercar in india my top choice would be the R35 Nissan Gtr. It doesn't look as good as other supercars in the segment, but even today 12 years after its launch,Is there are any car that can comfortably carry 2 adults+2 kids+plus luggage and still runs well on our less than ideal road conditions without bottoming out.

And I can avoid the attention that many supercars get as in my opinion it attracts only genuine car-lovers and enthusiasts. I can even save cash during maintenance as Nissan spares are cheaper than the Germans and Italians(or am i wrong?)

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-gtr.jpg
ArjunPadmakumar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 17:08   #5
BHPian

Apart from the Huracan, LFA, GTR and Mustang? Why, the Jaguar F Type Coupé R of course!

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-915f5e5be68c4db9aa8500bbc52b90a8.jpeg

That 5.0 L V8 is to die for, along with those killer looks. Subtle enough for me.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 15th April 2020 at 17:09.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 18:18   #6
BHPian

The Ferrari FF deserves to be here. The reasons being -

- Shooting brake design (I'm a sucker for these even though most of them don't like it)
- Luggage space at the back
- 4 seats with decent leg room in the rear
- The screaming ferrari 6.3 liter V12 which produces 660 PS (485 kW; 651 hp) at 8,000 rpm and 683 N·m (504 lb·ft) of torque at 6000 rpm.

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-blackferrariffadv5_0trackspeccsseriesforgedconcavewheelsheaderfeaturedimage11600x600.jpg

Last edited by LOL_FWD : 15th April 2020 at 18:21.
LOL_FWD is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 19:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

You can't see this sitting all the way over there, but my eyes lit up a little when I saw this thread.

It's a question I often ponder, and then abruptly terminate when the reality of my barren bank account hits me. Needless to say though, you've largely hit the nail on the head. I'll offer two options that sit near the top of the pile for me personally, as they embody qualities I love in cars.

The 911 Turbo S is a no-brainer, for all the right reasons. It sounds right, it definitely goes right, and it's got a timeless beauty about it minus the larger than life spoilers on the GT3 RS (granted, they serve a purpose). The fact that it's usable on an everyday basis just adds to the allure all that little bit more.

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-porsche-2.jpeg
It has to be green, doesn't it?

The other car, although not quite so super, is the slightly more humble BMW M2 Competition. There's nothing humble about the price tag, but it is the //M division's most affordable, pugnacious little fighter. And with the right ingredients under the hood, I believe it can bloody the nose of its big brothers and take the fight to supercars. But perhaps more than anything, this endless race to boast the biggest numbers is maddening. The M2C doesn't enter any of those phallic measuring contests, but it's boasting the right package where it matters; under the hood.

It's a bit like throwing a depth charge into a bath tub and then not hoping for explosive results. It's an eager little car, and I really am smitten by it.

Of course, anyone looking to travel in the rear seats can easily do so, provided they chop off their lower torso, and the car seems genuinely usable on a daily basis. It's as good an enthusiast car as you can hope to get this side of 1 crore, and while it's not a supercar, I don't see what's not super about it. It's a Bavarian bruiser that has me floored.

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-bmw_m2_coupe_084.0.jpg
iliketurtles is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 19:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

Since this is a hypothetical question and also because I am not rich (enough) ; I would still take the opportunity to answer this.

An ideal Supercar for daily-drives in India would be the Ferrari GTC4LussoT. You can see in the image below, I am seated in the back seat, so this can be a good 4-seater. (My height is 5'8'').

Also, while driving around the busy streets of Mumbai on a weekday afternoon, the V8 motor was surprisingly easy to much miles slowly. Not to forget the 4-wheel steering which makes turning the car at u-turns effortless. You can also play with the ride height.

And hey, 8.6 kmpl mileage. (Didn't I say I am not rich )

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-whatsapp-image-20200415-19.24.53-1.jpeg

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-whatsapp-image-20200415-19.24.53.jpeg

Last edited by parrys : 15th April 2020 at 19:48.
parrys is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 21:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Its a good thing that newer supercars are much more drivable on Indian roads than the older ones. And having first hand experience in driving quite a few in Mumbai traffic including bumper to bumper scenarios, here are the 3 cars I would use as a daily driver:

1. Ferrari 458 Italia

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-456636_10151125386143905_40035986_o.jpg

Naturally aspirated V8, enough said. 562 horsepower and that fantastic dual clutch gearbox. Drive it with a light foot and it moves like a regular sedan. mash the pedal and insanity takes over. Nothing to take away from the 488 GTB, loved that one too, but the 458 is just too special.

2. Lamborghini Huracan

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-11012582_10153469579538905_5182239772444382107_o.jpg

Lamborghinis are meant to look outrageous and the Huracan is no different. The Gallardo was fun but the E-gear was a pain in the city. Not the Huracan though. The dual clutch automatic is a breeze and standard front lift suspension standard on the Indian spec cars is a boon. And the naturally aspirated V10 is brilliant. Very easy to drive too.

3. Porsche 911

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-1417789_10151984485853905_470590153_o.jpg

The 911 has been THE everyday supercar for years now and its easy to see why. Its the perfect combination of luxury, performance and practicality. Ib subtle colours, it doesnt attract as much attention as the other two above. Even design wise, it isnt loud. A classic silhouette that has evolved over the years.
Dippy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 21:23   #10
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Being a Ferrari purist, I will look no further than the Ferrari 812 Superfast. While most people would chose the legendary V8 variants, there is something about these NA V12s that I cannot ignore.

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-812.jpg

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-812-sf.jpg

I will have mine in Nero Daytona with Forged matte black wheels and Giallo Calipers, carbonfibre front and rear diffuser, black ceramic exhaust pipes, Nero interiors with Giallo stitching on the leathers, Giallo seatbelts, bucketloads of carbon fibre parts in the interiors and a passenger side display too.
//M is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 21:38   #11
BHPian

If money wasn't a factor at all, I would love to daily drive in a Lamborghini Aventador S Roadster.

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-2lamborghiniaventadors2018fdheroside.jpg

But since money is a major factor, I wish to own this in future. If I can own it, it can be my daily drive too. The Porsche 718 Cayman, with a four cylinder turbo petrol.

If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-2017porsche718cayman.jpg
Flyer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 21:50   #12
BANNED

Nissan 370Z

Weld the rear differential, and viola, a properly cheap drift build.
Attached Thumbnails
If you could daily-drive a Supercar in India, which one would you pick?-fc647ae0389fa39a14de41a2638037a8.jpg  

Last edited by turbo : 15th April 2020 at 21:54.
turbo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 22:29   #13
BHPian

It will be the Porsche 911 GT3 Manual for me.

My dream garage has only 2 cars. 911 GT3 Manual, G500 AMG.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 00:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Supercharged E92 M3 (Rob Green Motorsports), though whether that counts as a supercar is another issue. If not, then the choice is between a twin turbo 911 4wd and a Skyline GT-R.
Old 16th April 2020, 00:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Indian roads means indian pot holes especially in monsoon and broken rural roads. So it has to be an Imprerza WRX for me. Have dreamt about this particular car since college days now

I would love to see the faces of some mighty super expensive cars smoked by a small 4 door sedan which they dismissed as another simple family car.

Last edited by SPARKled : 16th April 2020 at 00:18.
SPARKled is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks